Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Gutter Phoenix posted:

2 questions for the poo poo-talkers:

Are you happy?

Do you feel that your life has meaning and purpose?

I think life having no meaning or purpose would be slightly better than all the religions and ideologies telling people their only purpose is to roll over and die for the sake of the "true" humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I have suffered more than you could ever imagine and yet I am still a humourless loner. :shrug:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

The Real Amethyst posted:

I have suffered more than you could ever imagine and yet I am still a humourless loner. :shrug:

LOL!!!

That's your homework, buddy. Good luck!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Yaldabaoth posted:

I think life having no meaning or purpose would be slightly better than all the religions and ideologies telling people their only purpose is to roll over and die for the sake of the "true" humans.

Question: What is the meaning of life?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Question: What is the purpose of life?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Question: Does life have meaning and purpose? If so, does yours?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Holy poo poo I completely forgot my family had this game when I was a preschooler. Probably haven't thought about it since the 80s.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lol, good luck thwarting me. I'm a high level idiot.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

ikanreed posted:

Lol, good luck thwarting me. I'm a high level idiot.

You win the game!

Here is your prize:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Question: What is love?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gutter Phoenix posted:

You win the game!

Here is your prize:

You think you can win by losing? I'm gonna get your manager

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

ikanreed posted:

You think you can win by losing? I'm gonna get your manager

Jokes on you. I'm the manager!

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

I think the problem with our society is that we've forgotten how to exist two dimensionally in the future and the past and we're just stuck to the membrane of the present as it drags us along haplessly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acXU9bWNQKg

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

I think the problem with our society is that we've forgotten how to exist two dimensionally in the future and the past and we're just stuck to the membrane of the present as it drags us along haplessly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acXU9bWNQKg

finally, someone who GETS IT!

you could learn a lot from this guy, OP.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pitdragon posted:

finally, someone who GETS IT!

you could learn a lot from this guy, OP.

Who says I haven't already?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Please rename thread, 'The Tao of Swine' since it seems like a pit of poo poo with a giant hog in it that everyone keeps trying to wrestle, just let 'er be.

That'll do pig.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I don't like it when lovely cocksuckers piss all over everything just because they're angry and broken. They're a bunch of drama queens and attention whores seeking approval from people who don't give a gently caress about them, and that's just fuckin' pathetic.
hm

how do you discern what another poster's motives are?

you seem to be operating in the understanding that anybody with something to say that would be worth engaging with would approach this thread without anything negative to say? it seems odd to me that an open-minded person who's willing to learn would be so cavalier about dismissing people should their approach not conform to your expectation of didacticism when I think you'd agree your own attitude is fairly flippant and dismissive

I don't mean to call you out; this something I struggle with
I said for a long time, I'd prefer to be right than to feel or seem like I'm right, and as such I try to err on the side of giving things thoughtful consideration even when they seem stupid, or crazy, or mean-spirited, or pretentious to me
as a matter of practice, I've long thought it constructive to question a person's reasoning rather than to make any assumptions or judgements about their motive (and especially to be mindful to practice cartesian doubt when what seems to me to be a person's motive would, if true, make it easy for me to dismiss what they have to say out of hand)

the way I see it, if you challenge a person's reasoning, somebody arguing disingenuously still has to provide a justification that can be examined and meaningfully challenged (or they can refuse to do that, at which point there's no reason to further engage), and somebody speaking in good faith will be more likely to respond in kind
whereas if you challenge a person's motive, even if you're completely right it's impossible to know empirically because somebody making a bad faith argument will of course simply not admit that, and what's worse is if you're mistaken and they were speaking sincerely they'll be less inclined to engage thoughtfully with anything you have to say, and additionally you're allowing yourself a cognitive shortcut to dismiss ideas that don't fit your existing worldview but which, if considered seriously, might actually be edifying or expand your perspective, or perhaps even help bring your understanding closer to an unknowable objective truth

and before 5 years ago, that's more or less what I would have posited to you in its entirety

but around that time I started encountering a lot of... seemingly principally insincere people who didn't seem to care if what they said was true, or if they even believed it. they spoke without thesis, levied wild accusations, and, because it's much easier to thoughtlessly say whatever sounds good than it is to thoughtfully consider opposing ideas and try to convey your own thoughts clearly, these people seemingly delighted in simply dragging thoughtful people into long, nonsensical arguments and then, when boxed into a rhetorical corner, simply refusing to address them any further. fortunately, I don't see too much of that specific breed anymore, at least in the spaces I frequent. but their appearance seemed to mark a tidal change in the way people at large talk to each other. there's not much regard for nuance or uncertainty and the assumption of good faith is, essentially, dead. it's become necessary, I think, for decent, rational people to make judgements for themselves about whether somebody is saying something worth taking seriously, just because of the sheer overwhelming amount of confidently asserted nonsense and harmful mistruths, as well as the fact that many if not most people with something of value to share have basically been hounded into... not submission per se, but a general weary unwillingness to engage
when making such judgements, I don't believe that I've always made the right call, which troubles me. I'm of the opinion that a thoughtful person can learn a little from anything, and I would hate to think I closed myself off to an opportunity to enrich myself
you don't seem to be burdened by any such self-doubt. is there any uncertainty in your own mind as to whether the wisdom you're sharing and the manner in which you're sharing it isn't itself worthy of scrutiny or reconsideration?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Truth suffers from too much analysis.
-some groovy dude

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
Descartes once said "There is nothing so strange and unbelievable that it has not been said by one philosopher or another."

In summary: Shut the gently caress up we've heard all this bullshit before lol.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Cubone posted:

the way I see it, if you challenge a person's reasoning, somebody arguing disingenuously still has to provide a justification that can be examined and meaningfully challenged (or they can refuse to do that, at which point there's no reason to further engage
There's a third option here- they aren't being disingenuous, but they also aren't reasonable, and have no idea what it means to provide justification in the way you're looking for. They try to provide justification, and from their perspective, their justification is rock solid, and you have no idea what justification or reason is. They'll tell you that you have no idea what you're talking about, and that you should watch a youtube video that they link you, or read some book, or whatever else. Maybe they don't link you somewhere, and write it all on their own. If you challenge their reasoning, they fill in gaps in their understanding of what you said with their best guess, and through all of it, they really believe that they're right. You make no headway. How do you know that they're the unreasonable one here? How do you know that their method of reasoning isn't better than yours, and you just don't understand it?

The very cool thing here is that it doesn't matter because your reasoning works for you, and after you get what you need from the conversation, you can go away from it knowing that at worst, you lost some reputation with someone you wouldn't be friends with anyway. Certainty will drive you nuts, so having some tolerance for that doubt so that you can go ahead and act on what you've got will give you some peace of mind.

tl;dr "eh, gently caress it"

fuckingtest posted:

Descartes once said "There is nothing so strange and unbelievable that it has not been said by one philosopher or another."

Seems weird to quote Descartes for that instead of whoever said it before him

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 3, 2022

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Please rename thread, 'The Tao of Swine' since it seems like a pit of poo poo with a giant hog in it that everyone keeps trying to wrestle, just let 'er be.

That'll do pig.

I don't think you understand this thread at all, my friend.

With that in mind, I will not be changing the name of the thread, but thank you for joining in. Feel free to stay for pie and rice krispie treats.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Oh baby don't hurt me don't hurt me no more

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

We having forgotten so much as a decent chunk of humanity is men who just want to burn the world down due to their inability to get laid, and they're being goaded on by old rich men who live in constant fear of losing all their wealth and want the angry virgins to protect them by killing everyone.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
the proof is in the pudding, that is one of my philosophies

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Cubone posted:

hm

you seem to be operating in the understanding that anybody with something to say that would be worth engaging with would approach this thread without anything negative to say? it seems odd to me that an open-minded person who's willing to learn would be so cavalier about dismissing people should their approach not conform to your expectation of didacticism when I think you'd agree your own attitude is fairly flippant and dismissive

I said for a long time, I'd prefer to be right than to feel or seem like I'm right, and as such I try to err on the side of giving things thoughtful consideration even when they seem stupid, or crazy, or mean-spirited, or pretentious to me
as a matter of practice, I've long thought it constructive to question a person's reasoning rather than to make any assumptions or judgements about their motive (and especially to be mindful to practice cartesian doubt when what seems to me to be a person's motive would, if true, make it easy for me to dismiss what they have to say out of hand)

the way I see it, if you challenge a person's reasoning, somebody arguing disingenuously still has to provide a justification that can be examined and meaningfully challenged (or they can refuse to do that, at which point there's no reason to further engage), and somebody speaking in good faith will be more likely to respond in kind
whereas if you challenge a person's motive, even if you're completely right it's impossible to know empirically because somebody making a bad faith argument will of course simply not admit that, and what's worse is if you're mistaken and they were speaking sincerely they'll be less inclined to engage thoughtfully with anything you have to say, and additionally you're allowing yourself a cognitive shortcut to dismiss ideas that don't fit your existing worldview but which, if considered seriously, might actually be edifying or expand your perspective, or perhaps even help bring your understanding closer to an unknowable objective truth

and before 5 years ago, that's more or less what I would have posited to you in its entirety

but around that time I started encountering a lot of... seemingly principally insincere people who didn't seem to care if what they said was true, or if they even believed it. they spoke without thesis, levied wild accusations, and, because it's much easier to thoughtlessly say whatever sounds good than it is to thoughtfully consider opposing ideas and try to convey your own thoughts clearly, these people seemingly delighted in simply dragging thoughtful people into long, nonsensical arguments and then, when boxed into a rhetorical corner, simply refusing to address them any further. fortunately, I don't see too much of that specific breed anymore, at least in the spaces I frequent. but their appearance seemed to mark a tidal change in the way people at large talk to each other. there's not much regard for nuance or uncertainty and the assumption of good faith is, essentially, dead. it's become necessary, I think, for decent, rational people to make judgements for themselves about whether somebody is saying something worth taking seriously, just because of the sheer overwhelming amount of confidently asserted nonsense and harmful mistruths, as well as the fact that many if not most people with something of value to share have basically been hounded into... not submission per se, but a general weary unwillingness to engage
when making such judgements, I don't believe that I've always made the right call, which troubles me. I'm of the opinion that a thoughtful person can learn a little from anything, and I would hate to think I closed myself off to an opportunity to enrich myself
you don't seem to be burdened by any such self-doubt. is there any uncertainty in your own mind as to whether the wisdom you're sharing and the manner in which you're sharing it isn't itself worthy of scrutiny or reconsideration?

I appreciate this analysis, I really do, but I think you're overcomplicating things, particularly because I stated in the the thread title that this is "practical philosophy," or "street philosophy," if you'd prefer.

You don't have to show all your work all the time. There is no teacher to impress.

I don't claim to have all the answers, but I know a few things you may not, and vice versa, I'm certain.

You're correct that I'm not burdened by self-doubt, because my advice is pure and simple.

LOL!!!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

fuckingtest posted:

Don't come into my thread and tell me to shut up, you worthless sack of poo poo.

That being said, thank you for stopping by!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A reminder to all: the goal is for the philosophy to be practical, so it needs to be simple. Don't overcomplicate poo poo.

You don't need to try to prove you're smarter than I am. I don't give a gently caress about that poo poo.

This is supposed to be simple, and you dummies are making it hard, just like my arteries!!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Yaldabaoth posted:

Oh baby don't hurt me don't hurt me no more

LOL!!!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Gore Vidal defined love as "acceptance."

I like that, and it works for me, so I'll keep it.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

20 Blunts posted:

the proof is in the pudding, that is one of my philosophies

What are the others?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Hasselblad posted:

Truth suffers from too much analysis.
-some groovy dude

I've never seen or read Dune.

I like the sandworms in Beetlejuice.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Cubone posted:

hm

You know what? I was too flippant in my initial response to this.

In switching between playful banter, scolding dummies, and serious responses, that happens sometimes. I appreciate being called on it in a helpful way.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 3, 2022

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

fuckingtest posted:

There's other poo poo we get at higher volume. The Consume, Obey imperatives. The invitation to inflame oneself with a temporary thrill, which also begets the desire for another thrill.

What's the frequency of the carrier wave of your life?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

That'll do pig.

And you know what? You're right that I'm hogging the spotlight. I've always had a problem with that. I have a tendency to get excited and go overboard.

I don't mean any harm, and I honestly try to help others to shine, but I know I can be intense, and that some people find that off-putting.

The thing is, that's who I am, and what I do. You don't have to like it. It doesn't matter to me. Just know that I have no malicious intent.

And thank you for helping me become a better person. I need all the help I can get!!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Yaldabaoth posted:

We having forgotten so much as a decent chunk of humanity is men who just want to burn the world down due to their inability to get laid, and they're being goaded on by old rich men who live in constant fear of losing all their wealth and want the angry virgins to protect them by killing everyone.

This is a problem.

What is the solution?

How can STREET PHILOSOPHY help us live our lives while all of these right-wing morons are pissing and making GBS threads all over the goddamn sidewalks?

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 3, 2022

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

The Real Amethyst posted:

I'm checking back in with you. Have you done your homework and laughed at something yet?

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 3, 2022

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Gutter Phoenix posted:

This is a problem.

What is the solution?

How can STREET PHILOSOPHY help us live our lives while all of these right-wing morons are pissing and making GBS threads all over the goddamn sidewalks?

The thing that bugs me about this issue is that there seems to be no solution.

Give them what they want? Beyond being a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE idea, it won't satisfy them.

Reach out a helping hand? In some cases, good. But I remember one analogy about the difficulty of helping others in that "The person might take the blanket you give them and wipe their rear end with it and throw it back at you, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have done that or shouldn't again". That applies sometimes, but that doesn't address stuff like "They not only don't want your help, they want to do YOU harm" or "They'll just use your help to become worse" ala how psychopaths have used therapy to become better at manipulating people.

Ignore them? It just festers and grows and undermines until you wake up one day and you'll being dragged into a metaphorical sinkhole.

Punch them? "Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." I feel the same concept applies there. (This, of course, doesn't apply to legit self defense or defense of others.)

Mock them, shame them, isolate them, etc? MAYBE that will work. Or maybe they'll retreat into safe spaces, or echo chambers, or just into masturbatory self delusion (OWN THE LIBS) and basically cut off their ability to feel shame, or put up so many barricades that it becomes a case of that theorum where it requires so much more effort to disprove bullshit then to say it.

I guess it's possibly just a case of 'Assess and pick one, there's no one size fits all solution'.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 3, 2022

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Question: What is the purpose of of life?

No one wants to answer this one?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Question: Does life have meaning and purpose? If so, does yours?

Or this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Cornwind Evil posted:

The thing that bugs me about this issue is that there seems to be no solution.

Give them what they want? Beyond being a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE idea, it won't satisfy them.

Reach out a helping hand? In some cases, good. But I remember one analogy about the difficulty of helping others in that "The person might take the blanket you give them and wipe their rear end with it and throw it back at you, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have done that or shouldn't again". That applies sometimes, but that doesn't address stuff like "They not only don't want your help, they want to do YOU harm" or "They'll just use your help to become worse" ala how psychopaths have used therapy to become better at manipulating people.

Ignore them? It just festers and grows and undermines until you wake up one day and you'll being dragged into a metaphorical sinkhole.

Punch them? "Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." I feel the same concept applies there.

Mock them, shame them, isolate them, etc? MAYBE that will work. Or maybe they'll retreat into safe spaces, or echo chambers, or just into masturbatory self delusion (OWN THE LIBS) and basically cut off their ability to feel shame, or put up so many barricades that it becomes a case of that theorum where it requires so much more effort to disprove bullshit then to say it.

I guess it's possibly just a case of 'Assess and pick one, there's no one size fits all solution'.

I've thought about this a lot. I don't know the answer.

The passive-aggressive elephant must be confronted somehow.

My fear is that their cowardice will cause them to lash out violently.

Fox News and Facebook are cancers that need to be removed before they kill the American body politic. It might already be too late. I hope not.

In the meantime, I will do what I do here: engage politely and go about my business while laughing and having fun until some stupid motherfucker gets in my face and starts talking poo poo, at which point I will put down my sack of groceries and jump high in the air, screaming and making GBS threads and pissing and puking all over the rapscallion until they've accepted that I won't ever stop, hovering above them like a raincloud, raining down my bile and scorn forever and ever.

I don't make the rules.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 3, 2022