Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I've thought about this a lot. I don't know the answer.

The passive-aggressive elephant must be confronted somehow.

My fear is that their cowardice will cause them to lash out violently.

Fox News and Facebook are cancers that need to be removed before they kill the American body politic. It might already be too late. I hope not.

I wish there was some form of metaphorical Aikido that could be used, as that martial art is all about using your opponent's own moves against them. Disable their offense, let the rage burn out for some. If they're too far gone, disable. But above all else, make it clear, even if they won't see it, that you can't do anything without their own actions providing the "material."

Then again, it has been spoken of a lot that any sort of martial arts training is generally near useless in an actual anything goes fight, for various reasons. The one that sticks with me is even if you get black belts in multiple martial arts, most people's innate empathy makes them hesitate to hurt someone else, even if you know all sorts of supposed ways to do it; there's a difference between competing in a martial arts contest, or MMA, and outright fighting in a bar or wherever. The skills don't seem to carry over because it's a wholly different mindset, and therefore people who are good in 'fights' are good because they get in LOTS of fights, which is often because they have no impulse control, stunted or non-existent empathy, or in our problem's cases, have been overloaded with brain worms that keep jabbing their amygdala.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Violence is for dummies.

I would like to live in a world with fewer dummies, because things would be more pleasant and peaceful that way.

I just want to live my life, pursue my happiness, and do what I wanna do without getting in anybody's way. It's a shame things can't be so simple.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Gutter Phoenix posted:

No one wants to answer this one?

I don't think I'm qualified to be nature's teleologist

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I'm checking back in with you. Have you done your homework and laughed at something yet?

I thought "wow they said LOL so I must be funny or something". I think maybe we misunderstood each other.
To answer your question, yes I laughed at jack black videos.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

The Real Amethyst posted:

I thought "wow they said LOL so I must be funny or something". I think maybe we misunderstood each other.
To answer your question, yes I laughed at jack black videos.

I should have been more clear. I am sorry for failing you the first time, but am glad to have cleared it up.

Speaking of Jack Black, are you familiar with this one?:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

signalnoise posted:

I'm not qualified to host this thread, but I'm doing it anyway. LOL!!!!!!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

People react negatively to being preached at by know-it-alls and will use that to justify ignoring the content of your message, regardless of its value or truth. It sounds arrogant and fosters resentment.

You sound like a dick is what I'm saying here.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Happy Hippo posted:

People react negatively to being preached at by know-it-alls and will use that to justify ignoring the content of your message, regardless of its value or truth. It sounds arrogant and fosters resentment.

Narrator: this hippo is in fact NOT happy

Is being a dick like having a dick, where the situation did not come about by choice?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My philosophy is swagger

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Happy Hippo posted:

Yeah, well, maybe I am a dick. LOL!!!

That being said, I don't claim to know it all. Far from it. If you have something helpful and constructive to add, please do.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 3, 2022

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

My philosophy is swagger

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hel yea

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Lol those tatts own so bad

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Lol those tatts own so bad

I don't have any tattoos, but if I ever get any, those would be my role model.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I don't have any tattoos, but if I ever get any, those would be my role model.

I've got a pug on my left rear end cheek, he's in a pirate outfit on a desert island sitting on a big treasure chest while his ship is being eaten by a kraken, there's cursive text below it that reads "Don't loot the booty."
It's really top tier as far as rear end tatts go but lol I really want something inspired by this on my other cheek now.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

signalnoise posted:

That's a good answer. Thank you for that.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I've got a pug on my left rear end cheek, he's in a pirate outfit on a desert island sitting on a big treasure chest while his ship is being eaten by a kraken, there's cursive text below it that reads "Don't loot the booty."
It's really top tier as far as rear end tatts go but lol I really want something inspired by this on my other cheek now.

God drat, that's a good tattoo. Congratulations!!!!!

I don't have any tattoos because I don't care about my appearance, but I would like that artwork to hang on my wall, even if I have no clear wall space at this time.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I cant stop thinking about that tattoo lmfao its so drat good I might have to steal that poo poo and ask my artist to reinterpret it as a bigger and fancier piece

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Happy Hippo posted:

I want to come back to this, and give you all a perspective on my background, which might help you see where I'm coming from (if you care).

I am the 2nd child of two poor teachers. I never knew we were poor when I was young, as we always had food and a roof over our heads, but there was never any extra money.

Kids are cruel, and made my formative years very painful, constantly telling me that I was a poor piece of poo poo, which is why I react swiftly and harshly to people who criticize me without any thought behind their insults.

I couldn't afford education beyond community college, but I read constantly and have actively absorbed knowledge my entire life because I am curious about the world arond me.

During my 20's I had an enormous chip on my shoulder because I felt intelligent, but could not rise above my class. I was crippled by alcoholism, which made everything much, much worse. Those were dark times.

I've finally emerged from that darkness thanks to an introspective decade where I finally killed my demons and became a fully-fledged adult. It was extraordinary painful and difficult, which is why I want to help others if I can.

I feel that I have a very unique set of knowledge and experience, so I apologize if that makes me seem like a "know-it-all." I don't know it all. I want to know more. I wish I could know everything, but that's not possible, which is why I need to feed off of your input and experiences if you're willing to share.

My intentions are pure. I want to be the best human I can be, and laugh my rear end off along the way, because I like to laugh.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

What can your suffering teach us, my friend? Do you care to share?

How can we help you to LOL, which may not fix your life, but will make you feel better?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

The floor is open to all of you, of course.

Teach us with your stories of struggle.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Has anybody bothered to read more than a handful of sentences of the literal tens of thousands of words of OP's personal philosophies ITT?

if so, condolences.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

BigBadSteve posted:

Has anybody bothered to read more than a handful of sentences of the literal tens of thousands of words of OP's personal philosophies ITT?

if so, condolences.

LOL!!!!!

U R my pretty pretty princess.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I feel that I have a very unique set of knowledge and experience, so I apologize if that makes me seem like a "know-it-all." I don't know it all. I want to know more. I wish I could know everything, but that's not possible, which is why I need to feed off of your input and experiences if you're willing to share.

There are infinite things to know, and therefore there are infinite things you will never know. There are infinite skills to learn, and therefore there are infinite skills you will never have. So, in my opinion, the most valuable thing to know is what it is that you value. I value compassion above all, and I attempt to guide myself through integrity. Compassion leads to mutual understanding and patience for others, and even a refusal to be rejected by friends who believe they cause more harm than good, because I can see they suffer in that belief, and the only way to convince them that they are worthwhile is to demonstrate that I appreciate their company. These are not simple things to know, and they are limited to this human experience, but though life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do.

I have known many good idiots, and I have known many smart shitheads. I would much rather be friends with an honest and compassionate so-called idiot and be known as an idiot myself, but be happy in that relationship, than spend my life navigating a bunch of bullshit in "smart" social circles that would turn their back on me when I'm down, and disrespect me for a flaw, but would believe I'm smart.

Do you know what you actually value in yourself? Do you know what kind of person you want to be, and who you want to surround yourself with in your home? Do you act in a way that establishes and develops those relationships, or are you still discovering your own virtues?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

QUESTION: If I dip my balls in liquid cheese sauce and BigBadSteve's father and sister take turns slurping it off, but all three of us are wearing noise-canceling ear protection, does it really make a sound?

Edit:

See, it's funny because according his stance, he will never read this, so it doesn't matter how badly I slander his name, even though I actually think BigBadSteve is sorta funny sometimes. LOL!!!!

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 3, 2022

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Yo! Is this a lamia??

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

signalnoise posted:

There are infinite things to know, and therefore there are infinite things you will never know. There are infinite skills to learn, and therefore there are infinite skills you will never have. So, in my opinion, the most valuable thing to know is what it is that you value. I value compassion above all, and I attempt to guide myself through integrity. Compassion leads to mutual understanding and patience for others, and even a refusal to be rejected by friends who believe they cause more harm than good, because I can see they suffer in that belief, and the only way to convince them that they are worthwhile is to demonstrate that I appreciate their company. These are not simple things to know, and they are limited to this human experience, but though life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do.

I have known many good idiots, and I have known many smart shitheads. I would much rather be friends with an honest and compassionate so-called idiot and be known as an idiot myself, but be happy in that relationship, than spend my life navigating a bunch of bullshit in "smart" social circles that would turn their back on me when I'm down, and disrespect me for a flaw, but would believe I'm smart.

Do you know what you actually value in yourself? Do you know what kind of person you want to be, and who you want to surround yourself with in your home? Do you act in a way that establishes and develops those relationships, or are you still discovering your own virtues?

These are good questions.

I know the answers for myself.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i'm not sure if my farts smell good or not so i must spread them to gather consensus

gently caress you if you counter with the possibility that maybe they just smell bad and this shouldn't be such a mystery

or that im negatively affecting others' freedom when i force them to smell my farts

basically the most moral option is people sucking the farts directly from my rear end in a top hat, that is what i need to hear

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

You are free to breathe air filled with other farts. I'm not forcing anybody to do anything at all.

This is one small space, and does not prevent your freedom in any way, shape, or form.

Before you go, feel free to leave some educational farts behind. Or not. It's up to you. I'd like to know which farts people have a problem with. Perhaps we can find something to make it smell better in here.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

quote:

"Everybody's poo poo smells good to themselves."
-- Erasmus

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

20 Blunts posted:

i'm not sure if my farts smell good or not so i must spread them to gather consensus

gently caress you if you counter with the possibility that maybe they just smell bad and this shouldn't be such a mystery

or that im negatively affecting others' freedom when i force them to smell my farts

basically the most moral option is people sucking the farts directly from my rear end in a top hat, that is what i need to hear

Reminds me of the time I saw a pop-up shop for fart analysis, clearly titled "fartlab", and when I went in it just reeked of hellish farts. People had ventilator masks on to help guide specific farts directly from rear end to nose, and it was really weird but instead of just doing the grandpa Simpson and walking out I hung around in the fart abyss they had created to tell them they were forcing it on me

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

signalnoise posted:

Reminds me of the time I saw a pop-up shop for fart analysis, clearly titled "fartlab", and when I went in it just reeked of hellish farts. People had ventilator masks on to help guide specific farts directly from rear end to nose, and it was really weird but instead of just doing the grandpa Simpson and walking out I hung around in the fart abyss they had created to tell them they were forcing it on me

I remember when all of those drive-thru photolabs closed down, and were replaced by the FartLab chain. Those were the salad years.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

If you are willing to just be yourself, see what that attracts, and just accept it when people give you poo poo about it, that becomes a very high efficiency social filter. You might be off-putting to most people, but the people you form friendships with in this way tend to have liked you for you from the beginning, or at least they had the patience or interest to engage in earnest. I think it's kind of funny to see the range of responses here, with some giving you poo poo and some asking more nuanced questions, and some just laughing at dumb pictures. In general, I see you mirroring the tone of whoever you are talking to, giving thoughtful responses to thoughtful questions, and flippant responses to insults

For the ones who give you poo poo though, I think it's kind of a waste to bother responding to the provocation if you aren't going to try accommodating them at all. I tend to use the filter method, and I don't get personally insulted anymore so much as I'm disheartened by the tendency for strangers to attack strangers without bothering to see if there's an unknown context that would make sense of what they observe, but those are just people from another culture that isn't mine, so if I've got my calm ready, I'll try to give them the courtesy I wish they'd given me. I really do wonder what it is you're looking for, because there's very little consistency in your tone, and you're setting a high bar for engagement.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

signalnoise posted:

If you are willing to just be yourself, see what that attracts, and just accept it when people give you poo poo about it, that becomes a very high efficiency social filter. You might be off-putting to most people, but the people you form friendships with in this way tend to have liked you for you from the beginning, or at least they had the patience or interest to engage in earnest. I think it's kind of funny to see the range of responses here, with some giving you poo poo and some asking more nuanced questions, and some just laughing at dumb pictures. In general, I see you mirroring the tone of whoever you are talking to, giving thoughtful responses to thoughtful questions, and flippant responses to insults

For the ones who give you poo poo though, I think it's kind of a waste to bother responding to the provocation if you aren't going to try accommodating them at all. I tend to use the filter method, and I don't get personally insulted anymore so much as I'm disheartened by the tendency for strangers to attack strangers without bothering to see if there's an unknown context that would make sense of what they observe, but those are just people from another culture that isn't mine, so if I've got my calm ready, I'll try to give them the courtesy I wish they'd given me. I really do wonder what it is you're looking for, because there's very little consistency in your tone, and you're setting a high bar for engagement.

This is entirely correct.

I'm not looking for anything in particular. I'm browsing, like I would at a thrift shop. I would love to learn some new poo poo, and hear some stories, and whatever else.

Also, Aardvark asked us all to provide content for GBS, and I'm trying to oblige using my given skillset.

And I enjoy verbally attacking people who insult me. It's fun! Also cathartic.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 3, 2022

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I was looking at the cartoon posted above, and it made me think about how all of the heroes and rulers in silly pop-culture 80's poo poo (when I was a kid) were white dudes. I never noticed it at the time, but now I don't know how I didn't see how lovely that must have felt to everyone else.

That's not the first time I've had that revelation, of course, but the picture reminded me of it. He-Man and Teela and the other "good guys" were white. Skeletor and Evil-Lynn and Beastman and all the "bad guys" were not.

I always thought the bad guys were cooler looking, but they were written to do evil deeds, so kids weren't supposed to root for them.

I don't necessarily think that the creators of the toy/ show made an intentional decision to do that (although they might have), but that's the way American culture was when I was young.

From my current perspective as a goofy old codger in the Bay Area, culture has become far more inclusive, but I don't know how it is everywhere else. Or how it is for younger generations.

I'm just loving happy I grew up before the internet existed. This poo poo would have REALLY hosed me up.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i listened to a lot of Crass when I was a teenager and took them very seriously and I think that was good for me to do. But I've been looking at them again and they talk about being "radically yourself" which they definitely were. I've been thinking about that idea, of being "radically yourself" and I really like it. welp, thats all the sincerity I have in me for tonight. I appreciate your sincere posting though and agree with what they other guy said about being tired of irony and sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i listened to a lot of Crass when I was a teenager and took them very seriously and I think that was good for me to do. But I've been looking at them again and they talk about being "radically yourself" which they definitely were. I've been thinking about that idea, of being "radically yourself" and I really like it. welp, thats all the sincerity I have in me for tonight. I appreciate your sincere posting though and agree with what they other guy said about being tired of irony and sarcasm.

If you spend your whole life being someone else for someone else you'll never be yourself, and the way I figure it, the more you practice being yourself, the better you'll get at it. Getting rejected by someone just for being yourself isn't failure, it's just an obstacle, and life is nothing but an obstacle course anyway. The only difference between an obstacle course and a gauntlet is that you can't make mistakes in a gauntlet.