Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

There is a strong chance this could very much be Sailor Moon Crystal season 1 again, especially since I think this is getting made not just for nostalgia crowds but also cause Rumiko probably wants a series closer to her vision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Namtab posted:

ranking of tubers

Can't go wrong with good ol Potato. Can mash em, boil em, bake em, fry em and chip em

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Defunctland is a great channel and the recent Fast Pass video is great and had a few laugh out loud moments

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Aurora posted:

now i have to make baal play mystic quest

Look just get Yoshi-P to make a raid tier out of Mystic Quest. I'm sure that'll make it good finally!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

i'm going to make a japanese pro wrestling thread in this forum and all of you ar e going to post in it

Needs to be in depth discussion of Great O'khan's Vtuber submission hold

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

It went to the places of putting the card game front and center but still not explaining anything so it's hard to follow and hard to care

I guess it better serves the purpose of actually advertising the cards and coincides with the seven years late english tcg localization, but there was like no marketing on that front either

Lostorage doesn't really try to make the card game more important than the first series it just tries to recreate the character moments of the first series but doesn't get how or why it worked and ends up failing at it pretty badly. The second Lostorage tries to correct it by using the really good emotional beats of a spin off magna from Selector but it still really doesn't come together well

Diva Live is the one that tries to more sell the game by trying to capture the feel of a kids show card game anime while being a late night show. It doesn't work at all and is not good but it is better than Lostorage!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

i didnt bother finishing lostorage when it started introducing the selector characters because like, the selector characters all basically done. they dont need more stuff. feels like desperation.

The second lostorage very much felt like that. Really should for just focused on Piruluk/Kiyoi but nope had to try and fix the mess that was lostorage's ending

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

someday i promise i will re-edit the series to add the new scenes from the movie.

Not sure you can actually edit them in and have it work as the new scenes work best for where they are in the movie but that placing would 100% not work in the TV series

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

homeless snail posted:

tbf i almost immediately edited that post to be mayoiga instead

Hey Mayoiga was much more of a fun series to watch when it aired than Kiznavir!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

homeless snail posted:

my favorite precure is cure milky because shes funny

So cool her girlfriend became an astronaut to reunite with her!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Streaming is great for stuff you'll only ever want to watch once but if it's something you want to watch repeatedly than physical is the way to go

(Maybe one day Nanoha StrikerS will get a physical release with English subs)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The 3D scenes are okay and some are quite nice but it's probably one of the reasons Akanesasu Shoujo got lost in the in the shuffle when it first aired (The other for US/Canada being it aired on Hi-dive and the other it was in the same season as Gridman, ZLS, and Bloom into you which is was not good)

Shame as it's a really great show

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Oddly I'm the reverse I loved the idol stuff but hated the Yugiri episode and the focus on the main plot in s2

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

When in doubt with Saki just have tacos lines be taco's

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Some taco place really needs to have Octopus tacos as Tako Taco's on their menu

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Patware posted:

those chairs in that lounge are loving horrific

chairs need backs on them. you don't want your employees to actually take breaks, huh

Look why spend money on a proper break room when you can just get cheap stuff that looks good in and also people won't want to break. No HR won't be taking any complaints

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

dogsicle posted:

what about Mary Sue

Works and is awesome cause of the absolute cheek of being named Mary Sue

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I enjoyed reading the Yuki-chan manga as it felt like fanfic but in manga form but the anime just bounced off me

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm hopefully it means the Nanoha Reflection/Detonation appears on Crunchyroll but I expect everything to be geo locked

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Natsume is the better lead of Deca-dance and the fact the second half makes her a supporting character was a big misstep and while the whole isn't bad it really didn't reach the heights I thought it could.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I think if the main heroine was standard stuff the fanservice would bug me more. As it is, most of the fanservice stuff involving her has me immediately wonder if she's gonna notice what she's doing to this poor boy. She's hyper unaware pretty often.

It's always funny.

I think why it really works here is that Marin when in cosplay mode is just focused on cosplay and shuts everything else out, but when she gets out of cosplay mode she starts to notice or even falls head over heels herself (like the clothes shopping in this weeks episode). It makes things feel way more natural

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Netflix is 100% gonna need to do some changes to adapt to the way streaming is growing (like dropping the release everything at once method as that means you need lots of content) but while they'll probably shrink they won't die unless they do some major mistakes

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/lovelive_SIF/status/1504657593901277188

Okay this will be the craziest Mobage crossover of the year. Chika with a geass sounds wild

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bang Dream's April Fool's Joke is a playable Visual Novel with Himari as the lead trying to date the girls. They went all in and made the game with voices and now I need it in English https://april-bang-dream.bushimo.jp/artemis.html

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Space Flower posted:

anime pilot episodes: strike witches ova, the other episodes of strike witches

Is Triangle Hearts OAV a pilot episode?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Taco song is one of the more catchy jingles in anime. Feels like it 100% came from a local commercials that people loved/hated/loved to hate

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

marumaru posted:

I'm always reminded of Gabe Newell's quote: it's not a piracy problem, it's a service problem.
I still feel that Japan is reluctant / not interested to make their productions easily accessible overseas. If it's more convenient to not pirate, people will pay.

Nah, except for a few odd things (Hi Kamen Rider) Japan is no better or worse than any other country in terms of making it's content available overseas. We can stream almost every seasonal anime for example, we get Jump titles in English on Manga Plus weekly, Bookwalker has a great digital section, and we have stuff like New Japan world and Wrestle Universe as well. And well for normal TV? It's not like US TV isn't geo locked in places or else we wouldn't be needing VPN's to watch it.

Yeah manga and LN does lag behind a bit as companies are not wanting to ruin overseas business deals or being willing or able to do translations on a scale like Shueisha/Kodansha. And Light Novels needing more time for good translations too. But it's more due to those and other factors than Japan not being willing to release product

Now do they want to make money like all companies do? Yeah that's capitalism and hey it's something companies do here (Hi how many paid streaming services that add up to be the same as a cable bill!)

pentyne posted:

Isn't Japan's level of casual technology use like decades behind most US consumer habits? Something like home PC use for web browsing/gaming is way more a rarity then in America.

Sure, the country that makes a lot of mobage and has constant cell phone use in it's popular culture lags behind the US in casual tech use. Every time I see a smart phone appear in anime or manga I stare in amazement as they use modern tech in a casual setting!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

Cell phones are not a replacement for the desktop computer you are eating from the trashcan of ideology

Well yes I agree but try telling that most people!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

And I know at least some Japanese companies specifically don't care about foreign audiences or marketing. I like otome (girl) VNs and there's a pretty famous one where the company apparently is like gently caress English audiences we ain't ever releasing there. Or so I've been told. is it Diabolik Lovers?

I mean yeah, probably...I imagine it's the same as US/Canadian companies that aren't interested in overseas marketing too.

But even those companies seem to be dwindling? Muv Luv was rumored to be a series the company never wanted to bring over and now it's in English and we're getting more and more kids shows get released.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Wonder Egg's characters were really good and kept me into the series as the second half started to go down the drain but the show even ruined that in the end

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not putting Nanoha between Sailor Moon and Mecha feels like a huge mis-step

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/1518046064615559168

Madlax Cinema universe continues to grow

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Found the Nanoha 15th anniversary event online so I watched the Lyrical Toybox short that counts right

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

Find all 7 Karens and you get a wish.

You need all 9 to summon the Ultimate Karen to get your wish

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

There is that, but there's also something about like the design sensibilities. Like how characters, environments, creatures, and even like armor is designed.

The designs were all varied and felt larger than life whereas modern fantasy/isekai very much seems to be rooted in very generic designs

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Colonel posted:

nanoha rules. s1 is a bizarre mess with no real idea what it wants to do with itself until midway through but it has really unique visual energy and still looks insanely cool to this day, and the core relationship between nanoha and fate is still strong. strikers is a much more balanced and expertly constructed magical girl anime, it cleans up all the messier bits of s1 and tells a great story in itself, it doesn't have the same visual energy s1 does but it still has really solid action and character animation. nanoha's cool and i think people are too quick to ditch it or talk down on it now that there are hotter newer weird magical girl shows. but i think nanoha still does several things better than a lot of newer ones, and i like stuff like symphogear and madoka

Having rewatched Nanoha S1 a few years back while it is a mess in some ways (hi vestigial Triangle Heart stuff) I do think it clearly knows what it wants to do from the get go. The opening episodes are meant to be typical magical girl stuff so it roots Nanoha has a character and also provide some reason as to why she ends up being so obsessed/willing to go ridiculous lengths and cutting straight to Fate appearing weakens the story (I do not like the first movie cause of this). Heck Detonation called back to it a bit near the end

Anyway Nanoha is good and probably one of the more influential modern magical girl series along with Precure and I love the fact that in the end Nanoha and company end up making friends of almost everyone they faced. Even as a late night anime it still defaults back to believing in people and it's why while i love Symphogear/Madoka I don't put them quite on Nanoha's level

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Strikers felt more a bit aimless at than A's did but I like the story more overall cause Vivio and the cast actually grew up. Plus also the single most bad rear end beam attack in the history of Magical girls

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Finally put aside enough time to play and beat Blue Reflection Second Light and man is the game miles above the first in almost every way. This and Ray has turned me around on the series where I was pretty much down on it cause the first game was just so rough around the edges

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd also guess English sources probably think Comic Yuri Hime is seinen cause it had more male readers briefly during Yuru Yuri's anime airing or something dumb like that

Also outside of like Jump and Nakayoshi the target audience of magazine is way more blurred especially with internet distribution taking over

As for the noralites video it also made the mistake of going Sailor Moon, Utena, CCS and than Madoka skipping over a few shows that kinda of also moved the needle before Madoka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah its like the articles saying magical girls have changed ignoring that Precure and Pretty Rhythm have been going for the past decade and even Late Night Magical girls haven't been all dark and suffering too...