Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

julias by making it the thread title the entire thread has become vtuber themed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

pretty sure there's an entire subforum devoted to posting things you like a lot

imp zone?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

if you're just looking for stuff to watch from good youtubers, here's a bunch of good channels to check out:
Mandalore Gaming - funny, well-edited, informative game reviews
Kurzgesagt - In A Nutshell - my favorite youtube channel, educational gorgeously-animated shorts
Vet Ranch - vets treating animals and putting them up for adoption after
Drawfee - four artists draw stuff and do challenges
Fall of Civilizations - what it says on the tin
Let's Game It Out - hilarious videos of a guy breaking games over his knee
Selen Tatsuki - an entertaining pro gamer and DEFINITELY not a vtuber go away julias
Video Game Animation Study - does some neat videos on, well, video game animation
Kruggsmash - does hand-drawn let's plays of Dwarf Fortress, one of my Big Favorites
Kenny Lauderdale - reviews old anime and investigates insanely obscure anime
Felix Colgrave - wild-rear end hand-drawn animations with an incredibly unique style
628DirtRooster - professional beekeeper who records his adventures going and excising beehives from houses or destroying yellowjacket nests
Brian David Gilbert - an amazing video maker who has made some of the best video game skits on youtube with his Unraveled series
Chip Cheezum - my favorite LPer ever bar none, also a goon, his Metal Gear Rising and Wonderful 101 LPs are legendary
SNESdrunk - short, informative, well-edited reviews for a shitload of games
Noclip - professionally-made longform video game documentaries with behind-the-scenes stuff
Games Done Quick the legendary speedrunning event archives, just search for a game you want to see speedran and go
Classics of Game - weird, contextless clips from often extremely obscure video games
Simone Giertz - cool inventor lady who became a pretty big internet sensation and even appeared on Colbert once
Scishow - whole lot of usually-short videos of sciencey stuff covering a ton of topics
Joel Haver - lots of short films sometimes done in a really neat rotoscoped animation style
Inugami Korone - a channel where a dog plays video games

I hope this has helped you find things to watch.

wait a loving minute!!!

*throws wine glass down*

that last one is a vtuber!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/c/Food4Dogs/videos

heres an old lady who reviews nothing but jrpgs and visual novels

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marumaru posted:

is there an anime that fullfills the following conditions
- some characters are attractive, others are average, and some are below average-looking
- both in-universe and to us, the spectators (as in, the designs of the characters themselves range from below average to above average in terms of attractiveness)
- that also applies to the female characters of the show, who aren't all sporting chest sizes requiring composite material bras and victorian-era waists
- the characters' varying levels of attractiveness isn't just played as a gag / uglier characters aren't constantly made fun of but instead they just exist like normal people
well there's galko, but, unfortunately,

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my understanding is that updates for the original webcomic have been really sporadic since ONE started focusing more on mob psycho, and that murata's manga (and the anime) are pretty close to catching up to it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Any anime/manga with humor that hits the same tone as this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDV6bkG6x1I

quick physical comedy/sight gags? nichijou maybe

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Red Minjo posted:

Okay, I watched this in two sittings and I was entertained. Didn't expect a video about lines and how Disney tried to manage them to be so engaging. You might say I was entergaged.
that vid has one of the best plot twists i saw all year

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Is there a good article or video out there that goes into the reasons why many Shonen shows and villain hierarchies in general have a fixation on rankings, classes and statistics to rate the power of antagonists?
because japanese society was extremely hierarchy based for most of its history, up to the point of it still affecting modern power structures. a lot of japanese companies still have extremely hyper specific positions that denote exactly where in the company you are. this isnt exclusive to japan of course but japan is a step beyond what you'd think. due to this history a lot of historical fiction, classic movies, etc also have this. if youve ever played the yakuza games and seen the game throw up 'kishido yoshida, second-in-command of the kishido family, a branch family of the nagasaki family' or w/e, that isnt a shonen power levels thing, thats based in old yakuza movies which'd also throw up title cards like that to denote how important a character is to the scheming going on. this found its way to manga. its an extremely useful tool for denoting exactly how strong each person is in relation to each other so it gets used.

for instance there's a pseudo-mythological thief called ishikawa goemon. you may be familiar with the goemon in lupin or the goemon n64 games. hes basically japanese robin hood. anyway, there's an old comedy kabuki play where the joke is just each member of goemon's gang showing up and listing their increasingly specific role in the organization, like vice-commander of scaling castle walls, or senior lieutenant of the 3rd explosives division or whatever. and then goemon shows up and just goes 'and im the boss!' the punchline is that the longer your title is, the less important you actually are to the group. this is from like the 1800s.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in general for stories with a lot of action or moving pieces, it's extremely useful to be able to tell the audience exactly how important a person is to the plot so the audience knows how much they should care about remembering them. there's more subtle ways of doing this, like camera work if its a visual medium, but shonen has a lot of basis in classical japanese theater. a play doesnt exactly have a camera, for all you know the audience can focus on some completely irrelevant henchman because he has a weird haircut, so having each character declare their exact importance to whatever organization they're a part of is a useful shorthand.

and a lot of *that* is derived from classical chinese literature, which loved having ten billion charaters who showed up for one or two scenes each. look at water margin or romance of the three kingdoms, which are really the archetypal examples of the trope. water margin especially is a story where they are 108 characters in the hero group and each of them has some hyper-specific role, and it's mostly just a series of backstories for each of them and then they all do one or two things ever again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everyone should read water margin, its the best shonen manga ever written.

quote:

"Listen, when it comes to romancing a woman, there are four absolute strategies. You must be wealthy, but not ostentatious. You must be forceful, but not demanding. You must be kind, but not softhearted. And you must be hung like a horse."
"Well, I've been poor since birth, I can't raise my head to look her in the eyes, and I've never said a kind word to my own mother. But my penis is nine inches."

quote:

"Among all the thirty six stratagems, only one guarantees absolute survival: running away. Farewell!"

quote:

The two guards, Li and Huang, were paid handsomely for their services. They are no longer relevant to the story; let us never speak of them again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

I mean its not just japanese society that uses hierarchy, if you have a job you probably have a boss.
It's not exclusive to Japanese society but Japan is big on hyper-specific titles and very rigid power structures. In the West there's more of a fuzzy gray area between the top and the bottom in a lot of companies, like there's tiers but the power structure within those tiers is more vague. Japanese companies tend to let you know exactly where you are in an organization on an individual level, even if it's just a senpai/kouhai thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I've been thinking about becoming A Guy Who's Read All Four Great Chinese Novels. I did Journey a few years ago, so I'm a quarter there.
im one of those guys, it owns. though i will say while romance is a fun read a lot of what happens in it is actually less interesting than the real history.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

No I mean even in the fiction of Dragon Ball they're revealed to be pretty meaningless

Despite having the reputation for POWER LEVELS I don't think they even come up in the original run of the manga after Frieza, and even during the Frieza arc part of the point of them is that they don't actually mean anything for the protagonists because they don't just walk around going full blast all the time. I think Vegeta even jokes about learning the trick of "hiding his true strength" from the earthlings
The entire point of power levels narratively is *that* they're useless. They're meant to show that the saiyans and the frieza force don't have true mastery of ki. That's why they're surprised by the good guys being able to change and hide their power levels. Frieza's goons don't understand that you can manipulate your ki, they simply think it's meant to be going full power all the time. It's inefficient and a sign they have no actual spiritual or mental connection to their strength, they just punch hard. Goku, through training with Roshi, Korin, Kami, and King Kai, has attained complete mastery of his ki, allowing him to surprise his opponents, catch them off-guard, and save his strength for key bursts of power via stuff like the kaioken. Plus use techniques like the Spirit Bomb, which lets him use other people (and things) ki as a resource, saving his energy. You can see this in the fight with Vegeta, they're evenly matched but Goku is able to get the upper hand due to spiking his ki up at critical moments.

Even Yajirobe shows some mastery of this since he manages to use a burst of speed to catch Vegeta offguard and cut his tail. It's not really meant to show how strong characters actually are, it's meant to show that the earthlings win even though they're 'weaker' because they're true martial artists instead of just brutes.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 5, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/SideM_Eng/status/1478592564689178624

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I love that DBZ might be Shonen but its main characters are parents who might as well be in their mid 40s by anime standards. It's refreshing, even if it fucks over Gohan's chance to be the main protagonist.
on the other hand the new broly movie doesnt work as well when you remember that broly is like 47

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

surf rock posted:

I just started Lucky Star on a whim, and I'm confused. I thought it was a magical girl show for some reason, but I'm guessing it was a gag manga and not especially serialized in nature? I've never read one of those, but that's my impression from the first episode.
were you thinking of splash star because that is also an anime from 2006 with star in the name that is a magical girl show

and yeah, lucky star is a gag manga. its extremely formative for a lot of late 2000s/2010s otaku culture but its pretty obscure these days, minus the op being a meme for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7xMgJedN2s

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

The most ongoing storyline it has is the post episode bit where the talk show host girl abuses her cohost and watching his slowly draining patience until he finally breaks otherwise it is entirely self contained in every episode aside from the occasional running gag

the most ongoing storyline is kagami admitting shes a lesbian fujoshi

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

this is only as ongoing as the particular episode allows, but yes
it is a background plot element, you simply did not notice the subtle storytelling (the one episode where you can see her glancing over at an itsuki cosplayer with his arm around a kyon cosplayer's shoulders)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

you mean this one?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/YameteTomete/status/1479093605902000135

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think soul nomad is decent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hey its rina

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what if he meant to say 'wars' and his phone autocorrected. what if this man is innocent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

Super Robot Whites
theres a sort of mecha show from the 2000s called brigadoon where the entire cast has color names, but the american guy is named 'Mike White.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

The White Lotus guy????

yknow what? sure

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

korwa

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hm, well, these two characters have extremely obvious intentional romantic tension to the point it is a genre identifier, but imo its 'fanshipping' because uhhh, reasons

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

Hi, namtab told me to post here
if namtab told you to jump off a bridge would you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

After spending last year dippin gmy toes back into anime, I think it's stuck well enough to want to have a place to post about it. Hello, thread

After posting a rambly blog of what I watched last year in the non-2021 anime you watched in 2021 thread, I got a few good-looking recs, and just finished watching Granbelm, which owned, so thank you to Endorph and GorfZaplen. It took a bit to get going--it sort of felt like it had 13 episodes, but only 8 or 9 episodes of things to say, so they just made some pointless stuff in the beginning to stretch things out before it got to the good stuff. I think ultimately it's merely a really good show, instead of a great one, because of the sound track. The script and animation and VA performances were all really good but ultimately the music just wasn't there pushing the emotion as strongly as some of the other stuff I've watched. Alas.

It also kind of owned that they decided that their aesthetic for mechs would be, the chibi sprites from SRW
the mechs are actually influenced by mashin hero wataru, though the srw sprites were also influenced by that (and wataru evnetually got into srw decades down the road)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQxC1vGgyoo

mashin hero wataru is actually a very early isekai anime hence the joke in ep 1 of granbelm about 'is this one of those anime where i get transported to another world!?' 'no.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lurking Haro posted:

It also has an extremely derogative name.
i wouldnt really blame this on the devs, the original sketch they were going off of had this name and i doubt any of the people working on it would have figured it was a slur since it was right there. in short we should blame honjou raita, the artist of valkyria chronicles.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lpzie posted:

fullmetal alchemist, naruto, one piece, bleach, trigun, hellsing, bakuman, berserk, d.gray man, akira, dbz, hunterxhunter, yuyu hakusho, level e, jojo's bizarre adventures, fist of the north star, berserk, golgo 13, hajime no ippo, slamdunk, eyeshield 21, liars game, 20th centuary boys, monster, black cat, death note, fairy tale, lupin, gantz, my hero, chainsaw man, tower of god, onepunchman, the gamer, solo leveling, att on titans, some lu bu one where the tn tried to convince me "farting" meant something more, one where two kids become friends and fight in a war together but it turns out one of them is a prince from another kingdom that betrays his friend. i'd like to find that one again to see how it finishes.
stuff you'll probably like: lucifer and the biscuit hammer, claymore, jujutsu kaisen, soul eater, haikyuu

stuff that is outside your wheelhouse a bit but is good: akatsuki no yona, blue period

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best joke in revue is the joke in the manga where claudine hears hikari is british and gets really mad at her for being british.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The card game is super not important and just works as an emotional metaphor for the characters. they never explain the rules cause they dont matter. Dont focus on them at all just focus on the character stuff during them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

As in not even in the yugioh sense where the way characters play the game informs their characters i mean literally dont pay attention to whos drawing what or whatever the show doesnt care at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Lostorage doesn't really try to make the card game more important than the first series it just tries to recreate the character moments of the first series but doesn't get how or why it worked and ends up failing at it pretty badly. The second Lostorage tries to correct it by using the really good emotional beats of a spin off magna from Selector but it still really doesn't come together well

Diva Live is the one that tries to more sell the game by trying to capture the feel of a kids show card game anime while being a late night show. It doesn't work at all and is not good but it is better than Lostorage!
i didnt bother finishing lostorage when it started introducing the selector characters because like, the selector characters all basically done. they dont need more stuff. feels like desperation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elephant Parade posted:

I suspect the emotional breakdown is more from the part where Aki exposes their wish and makes fun of it in front of everyone
yeah that feels like you aren't quite following it. the part that's bothering her isnt taht she discarded a card (the mechanical effect) its that she had her private wish pointed out and poked at (the emotional effect)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycophobia posted:

is violet evergarden good
there's some good individual episodes and the first movie is really good. but it doesnt really come together that well and the second movie is eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

have these people never read a big romcom manga before, literally all of them do this.