Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i like anime and i like posting. here is to another fun year of posting about anime with friends (the friends are you reading this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

the scott pilgrim show is reportedly being done by science saru so its already based

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

gay for gacha posted:

I think I won't be able to finish Bokurano. It's just making me sad.

after the first mini arc up to around episode 7 is i would call the "worst" of it, after that its mostly interested in telling smaller stories about the triumph of the human spirit. the daichi episode and the girl that wants to get enough money to sew everyone costumes in particular are standouts to me. i wont spoil the show for you, but if it helps you at all i would say that it has a very warm ending that diverges very heavily from the source material and the general outlook of the creator because the anime director hated the manga and the mangaka and wanted to make something good. i would argue he succeeded.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

pretty rhythm first 3 seasons and the 2 prism boys movies fuckin ruled

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

one piece has literally outprinted the bible, its easily accessable without buying it, there are full collections in north american libraries i am sure that same access to tankobons printed literally 20 years ago exists elsewhere. its also the kind of story that looks long but once youve read it you realize its honestly too short, there are lots of little things that get glossed over for the sake of pacing that could easily be expanded even further on, its just that rich of a story.

the answer is that it was explosively popular, as were previous long running battle manga and gag manga. but then newer ones came out that were less so, and some of the shorter series started getting more and more buzz. publishers realized they could get more eyes and retention by letting churn happen. who needs a quality consistent product when you have throw spaghetti at the wall and axe it if it sucks too bad after a year, or let it run for 3-5 if it catches on before mandating an end and putting the space back to fresh use. if another once in a generation talent like oda comes along and their 5-10 year plan remains popular yet fresh, then they may still get that space but there will never be another "big 3" situation like there was in 2005. or even 2010 with toriko instead of bleach.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

what's even happening in this image, I can't parse the action at all

that is a person with the ability to transform into a brachiosaur. he is launching his spinal cord out of his body at high velocity at a foe, because that is what brachiosaurs can do in one piece. why? well, who says they cant, theyre dinosaurs. ive never seen one and neither have you

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

Who remembers watching full eps of anime on youtube in 10 minute chunks

the first thing i ever watched on youtube was rock lee vs kimmimaro in my schools computer lab during CS class in grade 9 and i was like "woah look how far ahead this is from the shonen jump monthlies and rock lee is STILL relevant, all my fears about the future of naruto are assuaged!!!"

my first anime is probably technically the canadian dub of dragon ball, but i watched a lot of un translated vhs tapes when i was like 4-8 at my japanese friends house because his dad had them shipped over to keep him connected to his home. we watched g gundam, gundam wing, gaogaigar, evangelion, random doraemon eps, all sorts of stuff. normal rear end kid shows by that point were anime like pokemon and digimon and dbz and monster rancher and escaflowne and yugioh and stuff, but a lot of people didnt really know the difference. my local mom and pop video store just had a section marked KIDS and anything animated or with a prominent animal on it went in that section, so you had a weird mix of air bud and black beauty and disney classics and akira and ninja scroll and la blue girl and urotsukidoji. truly insane in retrospect, but that was the 90s!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i made a new thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4007016&pagenumber=1#lastpost