Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some more info on the upcoming Urusei Yatsura reboot:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-12-31/new-urusei-yatsura-anime-teaser-unveils-cast-david-production-staff-1-year-length/.181156

Also as I mentioned in the last thread, according to the official Twitter account they're "animating select episodes from the manga” and the feed has the name UY_allstars. So it’s not so much a complete edition as it is a best hits version

A pity that Ataru will no longer be voiced by Piccolo though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Understandable, I don't think they'd do a series the length of a full adaptation in this era of mostly 1 or 2 cour stuff.

Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why they’re reviving UY all of a sudden (like is this year a major anniversary for the series or something)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wonder if they’ll ever go back and finish Ranma 1/2 in animated form one day in that case

Also out of curiosity, is Rumiko still working on a manga of some kind these days (also how’s her post-Inuyasha stuff)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Her current series is MAO, which is what if Inuyasha but Taisho

Neat, is it any good?

For that matter, how was her series prior to that and did the anime adaption get through the whole thing?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 2, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

yeah it just sucks to see one of the higher quality studios spread themselves thin for a remake of an already good show. there's so little upside to this sort of project

To be honest I personally think Ranma deserves a revival more than UY does (it’s the only adaption of Takahashi’s work that didn’t finish the manga if I recall correctly).

Even with Takahashi's typical meandering/plodding forever to get anywhere, it does have a lot more character development and some interesting stuff the anime never touched that would be great to finally see animated such as the Musk Dynasty and Ryu Kumon...and I suppose the Bird People/Saffron at the end (the arc was weak even if it was the final one though I do like it finally gave more long-needed world building to Jusenkyo itself)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neat, I wonder if a possible anime revival is among them

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

introducing the Wild West symphogear

Eh, I’d watch it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I personally think Rave Master is better than Fairy Tale on most aspects (characters that aren't Gajeel and Ezra, overall plot cohesion, less weird sex stuff, villains that aren't quite so toothless or boringly overpowered, more tense fights, etc.), so even if you didn't like Fairy Tale, you might like Rave Master.

It's not perfect by any means but I enjoyed it greatly when I read it a decade and a half ago and some parts still hold up even on a reread now.

Rave Master is a lot tamer compared to Mashima’s other works, yeah. Out of curiosity though, is there a particular reason why the anime was never finished?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Clarste posted:

Most anime never finish the manga story. Traditionally they would go for 26 or 52 episodes or so and then either make up an ending or just go "the adventure continues". IE: the 1st FMA anime versus the 2nd. More recently it's common to split them up into smaller seasons and only continue it if it seem profitable though, most likely because investing in 52 episodes that might flop is seen as too risky these days.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's an older anime so a continuation was never expected in the first place.

True, the only older anime I remember actually going back and finishing the manga story later was Inuyasha (though Urusei Yatsura did do a movie adaptation of the final arc).

Though some of the bigger shows like Dragon Ball and Naruto did manage to make it all the way through their respective manga.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 18, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Srice posted:

Hasn't started yet, sadly. We don't even know what season it'll air yet (Though my money is on spring since afaik Noitamina doesn't have anything listed as premiering in spring yet and I assume that's when Ranking of Kings is gonna wrap up).

Oh, on one of the streaming sites I frequent I saw something up today called Urusei Yatsura: Haru da, Tobidase. What is that then out of curiosity?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 18, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Srice posted:

I believe it was just a tv special or something along those lines that was broadcast during the original run? Haven't seen it myself but I know there were a few of those.

Yeah, looking it up that appears to be the case. Nevermind then

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

I only learned what an NFT was a few weeks ago. :corsair:

What a stupid awful dumb idea.

Likewise, how long has this stupid concept been around anyway?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

homeless snail posted:

capitalism? been around for awhile

Point, but I specifically meant NFTs

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

surf rock posted:

Also, I'm thinking about watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya since that's so heavily referenced by this show, and I remember it being a big sensation at the time. Was it actually good, though?

In my opinion? Yes, absolutely

In other news, the Shenmue anime announced a while back will be out on February 5th:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2022/01/19/shenmue-the-animation-to-premiere-on-february-5

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

surf rock posted:

OK, so piecing that together, it looks like I'll be doing:

- Season 2, episode 25
- Season 1, episode 1
- Season 1, episode 2
- Season 1, episode 7
- Season 1, episode 3
- Season 1, episode 10
- Season 1, episode 9
- Season 1, episode 11
- Season 2, episode 28
- Season 1, episode 4
- Season 2, episode 27
- Season 2, episode 26
- Season 1, episode 5
- Season 1, episode 6

And then there are additional episodes, which Wikipedia is indicating were broadcast in this order:

- Season 1, episode 8
- Season 1, episode 12
- Season 1, episode 13
- Season 1, episode 14
- Season 2, episode 15
- Season 2, episode 16
- Season 2, episode 17
- Season 2, episode 18
- Season 2, episode 19
- Season 2, episode 20
- Season 2, episode 21
- Season 2, episode 22
- Season 2, episode 23
- Season 2, episode 24

Goddamn that's so hosed

Also be sure to watch the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya movie after you finish the series as well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

what are the anime opinions of the baby that voiced the baby in hugtto precure

That wasn’t a baby:

https://myanimelist.net/people/18451/Konomi_Tada

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Red Minjo posted:

I watched and enjoyed the Haruhi Endless Eight and then didn't watch the rest of that season for some reason.

You should do so, it’s good. I still wish they’d come back and adapt some of the other stories one day but without any new books being written as of late to promote that doesn’t really seem likely.

I’m still hoping for Slayers to make a return one day as well since the author for that started writing novels again a little while back.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

They've been doing SO MUCH for Slayers' 30th anniversary

Concerts, albums, collabs, they made Lina a vtuber

Announce a loving anime already!

For example, the primary cast reprised their roles for a mobile game a while back so it’s not like they’re unwilling/unable to return (and I’m sure at least some of the dub cast would be more than happy to come back as well).

Hopefully they’ll announce a new series or at least a movie/OVA before too long though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I just learned that the Fruits Basket manga had a sequel called Fruits Basket Another. Is it any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Some taco place really needs to have Octopus tacos as Tako Taco's on their menu

Those apparently actually exist (or octopus tacos do at least)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, has there been any word on another Lupin movie being in development at the moment out of curiosity? Assuming it follows the pattern of the last two the current season is a little more than halfway through by now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Srice posted:

Nothing official though I wouldn't be surprised if a new Koike movie gets announced this year since it has usually been about 2-3 years between each movie. Even despite the possible covid delays, if they don't announce a new Koike movie by the end of the year I'll be concerned though.

Makes sense. Wonder if the next film will be CG like The First was or if they’ll switch back to traditional animation

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I actually didn’t know Fujiko Mine’s Lie existed until today, I assume it’s good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Srice posted:

Yea it's pretty much on par with the rest of the Koike movies so it's good stuff.

Just watched it myself and yeah, it’s good (slightly on the short side though). Also apparently it’s connected to Fujiko’s previous solo series as well.

Off the subject, a manga adaptation of the Inuyasha sequel Yashahime has been going on for a little while now:

https://screenrant.com/inuyasha-yashahime-manga-adaptation/amp/

No official translation is available but a fan one is. Seems it takes a slightly different direction from the anime and is a little better in terms of characterization it seems.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 29, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

It's hilarious as poo poo to me that no one gives two shits about Sesshomaru or his kids, but as soon as Inuyasha/Kagome or Moroha are involved it trends on Twitter

Also from what I understand the manga is actually better than the anime by most accounts if you feel like giving it another try (like I said, there are fan translations available and they seem to have a pretty steady release schedule)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So if anyone’s checked it out yet, how’s the Shenmue anime out of curiosity?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Tokyo Ghoul based on a manga? And if so, is that any better?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arist posted:

Vigilantes is extremely good

That series really needs an anime honestly

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arist posted:

My fear is it won't ever get animated because the opening chapters are just extremely horny in a way MHA generally is not

Yeah, it dials things back considerably later but the early chapters are pretty rough (and in some cases extremely uncomfortable) I’ll admit

Speaking of, it’s still weird to me that a gang of characters that were basically planning to rape the female lead of the series in their first appearance are quickly forgiven and become allies soon afterwards

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 8, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blank Construct posted:

will be disappointed if the shenmue anime doesn't dedicate an episode to ryo opening gachapons one by one and examining each toy

Or spending a big chunk of his time playing arcade games

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Never even heard of it, is it good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, SSSS Gridman and Dynazenon are very good shows but basically the only connection the latter has to the former is the return of two specific characters (also Dynazenon itself is modeled after a support robot from the OG Gridman and there’s a direct reference to that series later on)

The original live action series is alright for the most part but I kind of prefer the anime sequels more overall.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Does any site list it as having sequel/prequel relations? AniDBs graph shows them as 'other'.

The shows themselves literally paint it as a sequel (complete with them using some archival audio from the live action show during Dynazenon)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 16, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

All 3 shows have surprisingly decent English adaptions as well (the Power Rangers style adaption of the original Gridman also has slightly more entertaining characters in my opinion and the main villain is voiced by Tim Curry).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 16, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

SSSS. Gridman references Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad a lot. for instance. SSSS.

And all the assist weapons have names and attacks that reference the american cast's names.

Yeah, I was aware of that.

Come to think of it, was Syber Squad ever redubbed and aired in Japan the way Power Rangers was out of curiosity?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Am I right in guessing that the original Gridman was a pretty typical robots vs monsters action show and the dreamy, half-explained nature of SSSS.Gridman is original to that show?

Are you familiar with the Ultraman series? It’s basically that only in cyberspace and with a few extra robots added into the mix (also the protagonists are teenagers operating out of a basement as opposed to a military organization)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Power Rangers except there’s usually only one of them and it’s all giant fights

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Man, I gotta watch more of OG Sailor Moon.

You should, it still holds up really well (Viz has all 5 seasons available both subbed and dubbed on their website and they’re all officially available on DVD in the west as well)

Looper posted:

sailor mars ftw

I’m more of a Jupiter fan myself but respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They’re rebooting Tokyo Mew Mew for some reason:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Sz34Knus4j0