Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
After spending last year dippin gmy toes back into anime, I think it's stuck well enough to want to have a place to post about it. Hello, thread

After posting a rambly blog of what I watched last year in the non-2021 anime you watched in 2021 thread, I got a few good-looking recs, and just finished watching Granbelm, which owned, so thank you to Endorph and GorfZaplen. It took a bit to get going--it sort of felt like it had 13 episodes, but only 8 or 9 episodes of things to say, so they just made some pointless stuff in the beginning to stretch things out before it got to the good stuff. I think ultimately it's merely a really good show, instead of a great one, because of the sound track. The script and animation and VA performances were all really good but ultimately the music just wasn't there pushing the emotion as strongly as some of the other stuff I've watched. Alas.

It also kind of owned that they decided that their aesthetic for mechs would be, the chibi sprites from SRW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I also learned how to make clips in the past year

https://i.imgur.com/zO7asYo.mp4

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

the mechs are actually influenced by mashin hero wataru, though the srw sprites were also influenced by that (and wataru evnetually got into srw decades down the road)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQxC1vGgyoo

mashin hero wataru is actually a very early isekai anime hence the joke in ep 1 of granbelm about 'is this one of those anime where i get transported to another world!?' 'no.'

I like the part of that op where the kids just charges at a mech with his sword, like that's gonna do anything

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
you can also look forward to the sequel coming out (hopefully) in a few months

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I too am a fan of Saijou Claudine

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

AlternateNu posted:

Banana superiority, you plebe. :colbert:

I mean obviously but that doesn't mean they don't all rule

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Maya and Mahiru are the best though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
nana was my favorite, until I saw the live concerts and stage plays. anime maya cannot convey tomita maho's pure, terrifying stage presence. and I smile like an idiot every time mahiru does a baton twirling trick live

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fangz posted:

Wait is the Juuna/Nana thing a reference to "time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"?

No way. But also, lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm trying Selector Infected Wixoss on the advice of the same posts that recommended Granbelm and, I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to stick with it. It's making me laugh rather than empathize when you have things like the unspeakably cruel battling style causing the opponent to have a nervous breakdown being, making them discard a card lol. also I have no idea how this game works so rather than having any basis for understanding what's going on I'm just sort of listening to characters say who's winning as my entire interaction with what's happening

the parts when they're not actively playing the card game are neat, at least so I'll try to stick with it a bit longer to see if those specific, narrow complaints (low stakes being exaggerated to the point of unintentional comedy; not having any diea what's going on in the battles) start being improved as it goes on

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

The card game is super not important and just works as an emotional metaphor for the characters. they never explain the rules cause they dont matter. Dont focus on them at all just focus on the character stuff during them.

I will try but it won't stop being funny that someone is having an emotional breakdown because their opponent cast thoughtsieze

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the breakdown was starting before that point, with all the spectating characters going "how cruel", over thoughtsieze. It really pulled me out of it before the part you're describing even started a few minutes later

still, I will endeavor to be in a mental space where I let that wash over me in future episodes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Irony Be My Shield posted:

*nods* Like when your opponent casts Thoughtseize on you and sees that you've kept a terrible hand.

better to just resign

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah it's definitely an awkward sentence and I don't think you'd ever get a non-translated line in english phrased that way. If it was english from the start it'd probably end up phrased in a way that makes it clearer

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A number of fanfics have assured me that they can

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm trying to visualize how this would even work. Would it be just the tips?

I think if you google "double blowjob", some helpful person on the internet will probably have uploaded a video depicting the process in detail

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm just saying, the way it's phrased is very ambiguous. Was it two women giving one man a blowjob? One woman giving two men a simultaneous blowjob (hence just the tips because otherwise they'd need to have really long hogs so she'd have enough room), or are we getting into non-euclidean geometry for the positioning.

lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
got through to the halfway point of selector infected wixoss and, it answered my specific complaints, by barely even bothering to pretend it's a card game anime anymore lol. but the parts other than the cards were really good, so it just dropped the weakest part and I'm on the edge of my seat. might binge it all tonight

I think it would have been even better if the battles were like, sword fights or magical girl laser duels or mech battles or something, so the viewer can follow along with what's happening, instead of it being completely impenetrable and then at the end one of them loses for seemingly no reason. but that's the reality of being funded by a card game and then making an anime where the card game is utterly unimportant, I guess

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

I don't know that it dropped it so much as, it was never about the card game

the average amount of time spent with cards on-screen has gone down from the first few episodes, is more what I meant. It was never about it but it still devoted some screentime to it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

when you're done remember to watch the recap movie and skip around to watch the parts that, aren't recap, because those parts, are very important

in between the two seasons you mean?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
is the movie "selector destructed wixoss" cause there's a file by that name in my torrent download

when I said halfway through I meant through season one so it'll be a bit, but thanks for the advice

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I binged through the end of the first season, expecting it to be a coherent ending and I could take my time with season two later, and then it ended on a cliffhanger and it's late and I owned myself incredibly hard

did the two cours air back to back? I assumed they aired separately because they got different names

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I appreciate a show that is bold enough to tell its audience the truth: that magic the gathering will cause you nothing but suffering

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Deep frying is scary

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd buy fungus tokens. love me a good shroom

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tales of Woe posted:

apparently funi renamed some season 1 episodes to 'season 2' if they're in the back half chronologically which just makes things more confusing. i'd just go by episode titles to be sure you're doing it right, and not trust the episode numbers.

lmao

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

in conclusion there should just be a shuffle button and everyone gets their own bespoke episode order, on the blockchain

this is also the correct way to watch star trek

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I never ended up watching season two cause I was moving away from the genre at that point in my life, but hearing about Endless Eight from the outside was indeed very funny

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
sad media with cathartic, hopeful endings owns, imo, though I am okay with it not owning for everyone

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

sad media with sad endings can also be good, imo.

you're not wrong

I'm actually a little mad the first season of YuYuYu had a happy ending, because the theming and thesis of the show is so bittersweet that pulling a happy ending out at the last second just cheapened it and made it feel like the writers didn't understand their own show

The second season fixed it all and then some though, so it's hard to be too upset

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

the ending of yuuki yuuna was so bad i didnt watch any of the later seasons

season two is incredible and more than makes up for it

season three is trash and you were right to skip it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you don't mind a spoiler on season two:

The first half is a prequel showing Tougou's stuff from the first time she was a hero. It has more or less the same thesis as the first season--"sometimes, sacrifice is worth it to protect people"--and just nails it much better and much harder, and doesn't hit the reset button at the end, because, of course, the ending has to be that Tougou is amnesiac and wheelchair-bound, and Sonoko is bedridden with a dozen failed body parts.

The second half of the season is a sequel, and is a repudiation of that thesis, turning it on its head. Everybody but Yuuna resists the sacrifices demanded of them, kicking and screaming, and in the end, the exact same exchange between Yuuna and Tougou from season one happens again, but reverse who is right--this time, the show's themes are that, no, there are things you can ask someone to do which are absolutely beyond the pale, even if they're for the greater good. And then Yuuna punches god.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
that's fair, and the way it was handled does suck. I think season two did about as well as it could without just retconning the season one ending, but that means they didn't retcon it

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 22, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
good faces can sustain extremely mediocre comedies imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
idk if that show is extremely mediocre. I'm actually thinking of Nisekoi, when I say that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I finished season two of wixoss. The movie is still to come, when it isn't past midnight. It feels silly to use spoiler tags for a seven year old show that nobody else in the thread is watching so I'm just gonna post

Season two felt a lot weaker than season one. The only character drama that I got really invested in was Akira's, and she just sort of gets unceremoniously dropped. In hindsight, her final scene was a sendoff, if an untraditional one, but it doesn't make me any happier that she got eliminated offscreen. Ulith worked as a villain for Akira but was very boring as a villain for everyone else. The Mayu/Tama/Yuki stuff was decent but not as good as season one's drama. The core cast of Ruuko, Yuzuki, and Hitoe sort of felt like it was spinning its wheels, too. Ruuko was obviously central to the drama, but Yuzuki and Hitoe sort of felt like they were just accessories to her story, since their arcs were over and done. They sort of came back half-heartedly into mattering in the last few episodes but mostly they seemed to exist so Ruuko didn't have to monologue

Thinking back on it, there were a decent number of filler-ish characters with striking enough designs that I assume they're mascots for the colors in the card game or something. Chiyori was fun, at least.

Overall I think the biggest weakness, at least for my tastes, is how disconnected the action is from the emotional narrative. I like shows like this when they're strongly intertwined. The fact that the action wasn't really followable on its own, and was only a backdrop for the emotional narratives, rather than the two halves feeding each other synergistically, was a big problem for my enjoyment. There's a few times where I felt like the fact that it was a card game even weakened the drama--like, in the narrative as presented, an LRIG's emotional state is more or less irrelevant to how a battle turns out. Like, you care about them as characters, so you care about their emotions, but it's a bit of emotional/narrative dissonance

I did like how until the last two episodes there was a probably-unintended read of the show where the whole thing was a make-believe world in Mayu's head. I sort of wish it kept that ambiguity all the way to the end, because one of the more powerful shots it could have ended on is, Mayu just opening the door in her room, which was there the whole time

Anyways I'm spending so many words dumping on it because I liked it enough that I really mind the flaws, because it's so close to being something really special. I think it's good overall, especially season one, and don't regret my time with it, and will probably watch the bonus movie scenes tomorrow. A solid entry in the Sad Magical Girl* genre.

*defined by me as, a show where girls are emotional, and express those emotions via supernatural violence

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 23, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think I liked the Wixoss story less than the other people in this thread. But also, I probably watched it wrong, because instead of just skipping around looking for new stuff, I watching it straight through and let myself get distracted by discord posts during the repeats, which makes it hard to maintain the mood. It felt like the early scenes mostly just retread Ulith's existing character instead of adding new facets to her. The stuff at the end was obviously completely novel, though, but in the end I felt like it either didn't have enough time to breath to really land properly, or I ruined it by watching it wrong. One of the two.

I was a bit interested that the thesis of the movie, which it was solid enough on to just turn to the camera and tell the viewer as the final line--"no matter who you are, there's someone who wants to be with you"--is not the primary read I got from the show. Like, it's not like that wasn't present in the show, but I got a much stronger vibe of "your dreams are within your reach. Grasp them with your own hands, instead of just relying on wishes", which isn't something I got out of the movie at all because they cut basically every scene emphasizing it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyways idk what's next. That was the last show the non-2021 anime you watched in 2021 thread recommended me without hesitation. The ones recommended with a bit of hesitation, were Akanesasu Shoujo, Kageki Shoujo, and Birdy the Might Decode.

I've been in this "sad magical girl" track for basically the last year and have no desire to leave it as long as there's still good stuff in it. The heavily emotional stuff with just enough action to drive excitement is catnip to me. If anyone else has any non-hesitant recs along those lines, please hit me with them, even if they aren't about girls, despite me calling it the sad magical girl genre. If it's soldiers in mechs or boys playing soccer but it hits the same notes, that's okay too. If it's from the last 8 or so years, I probably didn't watch it. And also if it's from before then I only maybe watched it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Akanesasu it is, and I'll start a doc with all these names so I don't have to keep flipping back to old posts. So far I have not watched anything you've named

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I call it the "sad magical girl" genre mostly as a joke because Yuuki Yuuna was the show I was watching when I realized the pattern in what I was into these days. I'm jotting all of these down, magical girl or no. Thanks for the suggestions