Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm cool with new UY being a best-of since if it covered the whole thing but more accurate to the manga the weaker eps would really shine a light on how good a lot of the changes Oshii and his crew made were. Not to diss the original manga of course, just that a lot of the changed stuff benefitted the anime specifically (not to mention it gives a good reason to check out both).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

sa-poo-ga

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

I was playing with the VR headset yesterday and found a no frills video player that just threw a big rear end screen in front of me in pitch black that could be tilted up and down.

I threw on Eva 2.2222 for fun and ended up watching the whole drat movie because it was the closest thing to being in a theatre I've had in a while.

Highly recommended.

It's pretty dang cool and hell, since Amazon put out the final Rebuild instead of Funimation the chance of a theatrical run out here went up in smoke so watching it that way was the next best thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Vizuyos posted:

There's VR video players that'll put you in a VR movie theater too

honestly i like it better that way, something about floating in a featureless virtual void gives me motion sickness real quick

Yea. I use Skybox and it does a fine job for that. I like that you can even adjust the theater lighting in it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

been waiting for them to put anime into Vanguard

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Larryb posted:

Apparently the new Urusei Yatsura series has begun. If anyone’s checked it out yet, how is it out of curiosity?

Hasn't started yet, sadly. We don't even know what season it'll air yet (Though my money is on spring since afaik Noitamina doesn't have anything listed as premiering in spring yet and I assume that's when Ranking of Kings is gonna wrap up).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Larryb posted:

Oh, on one of the streaming sites I frequent I saw something up today called Urusei Yatsura: Haru da, Tobidase. What is that then out of curiosity?

I believe it was just a tv special or something along those lines that was broadcast during the original run? Haven't seen it myself but I know there were a few of those.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

looking at that merch site I would rather it have been NFTs

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

As long as the merch doesn't suck I'm fine with this. (checks website)

Okay it turns out the first round of merch does suck. But maybe they'll get something cool next time they stock the store, one would hope.

I am actually losing my mind looking at that Nami shirt. The way they cropped it makes it not obvious that it's her hand on her mouth. If I didn't know what it was referencing I would think that someone is kidnapping her.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Anime is good.

I'll allow it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm real excited for The Orbital Children too. Wild that he hasn't directed anything since Dennou Coil but I guess now is the time for a bunch of sci-fi anime directors to get the reins again.

2022 looking to be a drat fine year for anime movies.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Big Leg posted:

fujiko mine's lie is a gorgeous movie. i hope koike gets to make more anime someday

I have faith he will get to finish his series of Lupin movies some day.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, has there been any word on another Lupin movie being in development at the moment out of curiosity? Assuming it follows the pattern of the last two the current season is a little more than halfway through by now.

Nothing official though I wouldn't be surprised if a new Koike movie gets announced this year since it has usually been about 2-3 years between each movie. Even despite the possible covid delays, if they don't announce a new Koike movie by the end of the year I'll be concerned though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Larryb posted:

Makes sense. Wonder if the next film will be CG like The First was or if they’ll switch back to traditional animation

If I had to guess I'd say it'd be like Doraemon which had a few CG movies by the same director as The First but they went back to traditional animation when he wasn't involved.

Though I suppose The First and Fujiko Mine's Lie both came out in the same year so if they wanna put a CG and a traditional animated movie out in the same year again I'd be pretty happy about that!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yea it's pretty much on par with the rest of the Koike movies so it's good stuff.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I hope that, like all cursed NFT cartoons, they have a scene where they explain to the audience what NFTs are using the exact same punchline that all those things use.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I found out that the book Megumi Hayashibara wrote about her career was translated last year so I bought it and it is the most baffling ebook I have ever looked at because every page is an image. Makes me wonder if it was a specific licensing demand to include a foolish anti-piracy attempt that kneecaps the ebook quality because I've bought ebooks from Yen Press before and it was always perfectly fine until now.

At any rate it makes it practically unreadable on my kindle, welp!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Lol, was there not a preview option? Even as a casual filthy dub watcher i kinda wanna read that book, is it well translated at least?

There's no preview option but when it comes to ebooks amazon is pretty generous with their return policy anyhow (though I might just keep it since I could always read it on my tablet instead, even though that's far from ideal). The translation seems fine based on the few pages I looked at.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's called Tanya the Evil not Tanya the Nice!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

marumaru posted:

always forget this show existed, no one talks about it
i remember really liking it

I still see it get mentioned every now and then, which is more than can be said of a lot of shows from a decade ago.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Violet_Sky posted:

Can anyone recommend me good anime/manga podcasts?

Anime World Order is good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

The waypoint radio episodes where they go through Eva and eventually the movie + rebuilds are mostly really good, with 3 of them being either barely anime fans or not at all and go in totally blind. Mostly solid discussion, sometimes gets real in the weeds though

Since it's basically anime anyways, their lore reasons episodes for kingdom hearts are amazing too

:hai:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Far as non-anime podcasts talking anime go, I quite enjoyed it when Blank Check covered all of Miyazaki's movies. The lads were funny and observant as always. Hoping they return to the anime zone someday (Which will probably involve covering either Kon or Shinkai, given the premise of their show) but I'm in no hurry since right now they're covering Jane Campion's movies and it's great.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Today we have progressed to "Arcane counts as anime because it's good"

I'll allow it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I watched some anime this morning and I'm feeling twisted enough that I might watch some more this evening.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

good luck against those vile trolls, gamer

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Erg posted:

:cheerdoge:

what'd you watch

the 6th Urusei Yatsura movie since I've decided to rewatch them all. it's alright, easily the weakest of the movies by a mile though because the two movie original characters are dull and too much of the movie is about their banal love story!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm looking forward to that Penguindrum movie coming out this year even if it is just a compilation movie of sorts.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Napping Princess is an alright movie that is, by default, the best thing Kenji Kamiyama has been involved with over the past decade.

(Unless that tv movie he directed last month is good. It's not subbed yet so I wouldn't know!)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AoT is still good and I am positive I will enjoy the ending.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kild posted:

Good luck AoT enjoyers it's all copium from here on out.

I don't need copium where I'm going.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I never wound up finishing Helck, I really enjoyed it years ago when there was that fervor over it 'round here and it was fun to have that communal experience. But then it lost me as it veered more and more into a traditional shonen kinda narrative.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tabletops posted:

Should I watch concrete revolution

Nah

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Willo567 posted:

If I wanna watch Cutey Honey, how does the 70's anime compare with Universe? I'm aware that the former doesn't have an ending, while the latter is based more off the manga and does

The 70s anime is enjoyable but very repetitive while I just found Universe to be kinda underwhelmingly mediocre to the point where I didn't finish it. Re:Cutie Honey is the way to go to be honest.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

I doubt anyone is truly surprised by this turn of events

aye

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

symbolic posted:

i also hate paying attention to one of the few remaining funny subforums

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm normal, and normie too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Speaking of accountants, a streamer I was watching brought up the idea of an anime or manga about an accountant, just doing their job.
Like, that's the entire story.

And I genuinely wanna read that manga.

Speaking from experience it'd be boring as hell most of the time!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Slice of life is my favorite genre.

The general office stuff, sure, but the nitty gritty of it all would be a challenge to make interesting! There's a reason why a lot of salaryman manga can get vague about the actual work after all.

Stairmaster posted:

can you make my money grow, srice?

Heck I wish I could do that with my own!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

If you do it with enough verve and intensity and give it the superficial appearance of having high stakes, even the dullest bullshit task can be funny and watchable. The Devil is a Part-Timer pulled that trick rather well

If Fukumoto were to make a manga about it, well, he can make anything compelling as hell.