Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

:yeah: the post was fine and its insanely weird some are trying to paint em as a pedo creep when thats the guy speaking out against creeps to start with

also uhh hi to the thread i don't watch too much anime usually but what i've seen is p neat, jojos is cool and i like it and 90s sailor moon (seeing this in a group) is pretty nice as well :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Looper posted:

hi booky

hi looper

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Mix. posted:

Watch Kaiji :colbert:

i've seen bits and a few eps of kaiji, it seems pretty cool but also Mega Tense :ohdear:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

The Colonel posted:

the author of that wrote a pretty widely criticized biographical manga about being pansexual that got cancelled over her expressing some pretty typically weird biotruths about the differences between men and women so it seems like, the work of someone who has very odd thoughts on gender and sexuality and confused ideas of how to express them

the one funny thing to note about this manga is that the plot explanation for why the main character is the one heterosexual woman on earth is because there was an astronaut who wasn't on earth when the asteroids hit, so he was the one heterosexual man left on earth

Meme Poker Party posted:

*Movie trailer narrator guy voice*

In a world where heterosexuality no longer exists...

lmao but also man that biotruths bit sucks 😔

i think my gateway manga was me buying tokyo mew mew volume 1 at a book fair in like 5th grade?? anime was probably dubbed pokemon eps on vhs or seeing some yugioh dm on tv before seeing bits of like, sailor moon (and fansubbed tmm eps in 3 parts and stuff) on yt

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i mostly remember feeling kind of disappointed/underwhelmed with diebuster vs really liking gunbuster

i think part of it is the pacing issues people mentioned and the main relationship feeling kind of undercooked?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

The Colonel posted:

also, it's cool that diebuster is a yuri mecha anime. i like that aspect

yeah that part deffo owns!! 💪

and yea i get what ur saying with the homage aspects and identity and stuff, for me i think gunbuster landed better because of it being a simpler story (and also the robot is very cool) :)

homeless snail posted:

the funny thing about gunbuster cribbing from aim for the ace, is that there is no coach romance arc in ace, thats a top invention. the ace coach arc is the weird relationship with his estranged sister who also happens to be hiromi's rival, and slight bitterness that he chose hiromi's passion over oranko's objective tennis skill. in ace, coach is gay for a buddhist monk

the coach was p gay for the monk in ace which was Cool but then also iirc ace or ace 2 kind of vaguely implied coach was Into hiromi too??

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

homeless snail posted:

yeah but where's absolute live

in ur heart

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

wasn't the wonder egg writer the same one who talked about war journalists in relation to being trans or something in another manga??

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

didn't the speed racer dub ep scripts get tled in like, 3 days or something and they had to match all the lip flaps?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

oh yea like 2 days ago i saw the second ideon movie Be Invoked on yt, it was p cool even tho my frame of reference was "i read wiki articles for the plot summary and i think saw exactly ep 1 of the show a few years ago, also some tv clips and srw move compilations" and its very funny it just throws u Straight into the action

should i watch the first movie too since its already up on yt.........

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

also this was the funniest line in the movie

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

dogsicle posted:

i thought it sucked but that was the frame of reference of having seen the whole series shortly before, and thinking compilation movies are categorically bad

Sakurazuka posted:

The first movie barely even counts as cliff notes it's just a selection of scenes from the TV series in chronological order with a couple of new bits and doesn't even attempt to string them into a cohesive narrative.

rip 😔

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

god i wish tokyo mew mew new wasn't on hidive

but also i think even CR wants you to sign up for a subscription now if you wanna keep watching stuff 😔

welcome back!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

wait how are we defining "dark magical girl" shows? like, post-madoka? the only show i've heard of like that is like, "magical girl site", which is apparently Bad

sailor moon has some dark parts to it, and tmm does too im p sure

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

live action sailor moon owns bones

also yea i feel like theres a difference between dark Parts (like in sm or tmm where something bads going on) vs the like, Tone of a show being dark, and i think those two things tend to get conflated a lot (especially when it comes to magical girl stuff, which is basically the same as mecha stuff)

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

also happy gunbuster anniversary day

https://twitter.com/yuichiro_junior/status/1544504219662979072?s=21&t=5h7ee7RNlXByqwCOAMZyRA

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

gundam is cool and also mega blunt about like, war stinking

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

this discussion is just reminding me of watching the ideon movie recently and im still loling at the line i posted before

even in context it makes 0 sense?? its incredible

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i like cyber newtypes because its scifiy but in a more like dystopian way, and also it just sounds Cool

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

o yea doesn't newtypes later being mass produced (artificially) also tie into the whole 'newtypes Could be mega-understanding and help peace but are used as weapons of war' bit in later gundams

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

amuro and char smoochin is better zeta-on tbh

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1m3tEj2JzI

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the boxing priest was pretty good

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i started mechaing with seeing like 2 clips of wing gundam, watching all of g gundam (recommended), and then reading a srw z lp

what im saying here is g is a good place to start

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

man takahashi dying sucks :(

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i only played like, 60% of srw j but seed seemed Fine in that, lotta melodrama like the kid who liked the piano

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i credit srw z with getting me into weird esoteric 80s bots like 30 people have ever watched, but w does seem p good too...!!!

srw needs more weird/obscure poo poo in it, just go full throttle!!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

today was wild af :eyepop:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

make me the mod, i'll have a breakdown in 5 days and go on a reign of terror before resurfacing in 8 months to post duwang level scans of a 28 year old manga

(please don't actually make me a mod)

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

homeless snail posted:

we could do worse than a second owl day

who was owl day, again

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

homeless snail posted:

owl day was the previous identity of, the mod that was radicalized by kill la kill and became host to the spirit of matoi ryuko

oh poo poo was that the mod who had the big breakdown about the tsunami in japan and also people criticizing darling in the franxx?? lmao

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

julias stepped down right?? idr many of the anime mods besides the most recent one who went on a fe server i was in and then got perma'd here for pedo poo poo

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ganbare namtab.........

i just thought of that thing the catholic(?) church does with the smoke for some reason when i saw the new announcement thread, lol

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm guessing from context that the qcs manga is like, depicting extremely shocking things being done to children but isn't reveling in them as fetish fuel, but talking about how hosed up they are?

i've never read/watched it myself but that thread cited some pretty weird rear end stuff in it like a sentient toilet licking someone after they use it?? and im p sure whenever i see Made in Abyss recced it always has a giant asterisk on the side for it being really creepy or smth? :yikes:

more like made in Failbyss

e:
lmao

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

yea imo lurking haros posts whinging about qcs or whatever in the failbyss thread sucked rear end

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i dunno anything about one piece but i saw this earlier and loled

https://twitter.com/AliasArtworks/status/1543390647667027968

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Patware posted:

the important thing is that this is mario as a character whose execution by decapitation is the inciting point for the entire worldstate of the series

lmao yeah hes like the guy who hid the titular "one piece" right? the only things i know about OP besides that are that: theres magic fruits that give u powers, there was a shortlived 4kids dub with a pirate rap, a stretchy guys the main char, the mangaka has been drawing ladies with bigger boobs as it goes on, and that the recent chapters have a confirmed trans guy (and lady?)

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

man this sucks i ordered a p old manga set (only vols 1s been fan tled) a few days ago and its getting delivered real early (yes!!) but it turns out scanning things good involves microwaving it so u can take out the pages?? this cost me like $118 im not taking it apart so it can get scanned!! :(

Endorph posted:

my favorite anime feminist moment was them describing the characters in citrus as having 'blowjob knees' and then one of the writers DMing me on twitter to hassle me when i randomly made fun of that, months later, without tagging them or the site itself

lmao
im imagining the writer searching blowjob knees(???) on twitter and seeing that tweet and just getting really steamed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

wait actually wtf does 'blowjob knees' even mean??