Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

best of the worst is best since there's an endless supply of weird dumpster videos to drunkenly go through

the recent spotlight on a movie reconstructed from abandoned mystery footage with no audio was neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

finally got around to reading gundam the origin and didn't expect this talk in the back with a professor/writer/martial artist who offhandely goes "yeah one piece is basic compared to astro boy, but makes sense with the kids beating the poo poo out of each other and all"

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 3, 2022

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

remember that stupid loving cat comic that one guy would post

yeah there's nothing worse than a guy making the same posts about cats over and over

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I didn't pay attention to the credits 10 years ago so I only recently learned that among KS' artists, one has worked on a number of other OELVNs I'm familar with and another is the current AdaShima illustrator.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Space Flower posted:

it works fine on twitter where i just post everything through the lens of strike witches and manga time kirara for years until i gain 5 followers

the oomfie call

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

banished to the MV dimension

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

waypoint published a decent amount of fanfic as some sort of Exploration of Fandom or w/e, but I'm pretty sure all of it was wacky crossover pileup stuff, which is the most stereotypical image of fanfiction you could possibly project and is pretty indicative of their whole attitude as far I was aware. esp since iirc the editor defended publishing the 9s fic by saying he hadn't read it beforehand, lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

atuy rules

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

verbal enema posted:

i have never watched nor read AoT

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Replicant's combat is serviceable, the real issue is that the backend of the game becomes very focused on it with far fewer diversions so it can get tiring

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

Automata’s combat feels good but it doesn’t have a lot of depth, which is a shame coming from the developers of Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101

Hey, it's impressive from the future developers of babylon's fall

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/MangaPlusENG/status/1496867917077655552

the funny squid manga is on manga+ now (though fr it's a pretty harsh bullying story from the outset)

Motto fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 24, 2022

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

cheetah betraying kishida smh

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

marumaru posted:

nevermind, this is funimation's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvsXqdLbIzA

it's ugly

I hate it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

steaming services aren't really competing in a way that benefits consumers when they all have mutually exclusive libraries. anime streams competed in terms of grabbing seasonals, but for legal viewers that just meant rolling the odds on whether you needed one or two subs to watch what you wanted. basically all new anime distribution getting rolled under one company still isn't good, but it's basically just a different kind of bad imo

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

that video sucks op

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

pentyne posted:

Kind of surprised there was never a Harry Potter anime or anything. Did it just not take off in Japan?

It seems like by the late 90s, the idea of boarding school magic hijinks was probably old hat to a lot of japanese media consumers so it's not it was something new or exciting.

Harry Potter was plenty popular and you see people make HP-themed art of stuff they like all the time to this day. Certain other individuals would be better informed on this than me but I've also been told that it was an influence on 00s isekai/magic school stuff like tsukaima

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

saying that eroge has sex slapped in to sell isn't really accurate since older titles in the genre were very much focused on sexual content and later games that were mostly focused on plot outside of that were a distinct shift into a new subgenre, but one caused by creators who actively chose to work within that space for various reasons (largely creative freedom wrt subject matter).

so for say, TM, it's just that nasu wanted to work in the doujin and eroge spaces since he found what you could do in them compelling, and this probably has to do with the kinda stuff he always wanted to write about since KnK, Tsukihime, and FSN all deal with sexual themes as irremovable core beats. otoh working in such niche markets means that you're very much beholden to the genre expectations of your potential customers and their potential for backlash, so there's def stuff in scenario-focused games that you can argue is mostly there because of market driven expectations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

really owns how many cool rising talents got like, one or two neat things out in the last decade before getting put in a closet to make MVs or commercials at best since

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

7/10 is one of the most powerful scores

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

yiik 2.0 will redeem itself with features like making the main character take out a microphone and look into the camera whenever he does a monologue to make them retroactively ironic (real)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the lagann movies are pretty standard compilation deals but the first clipshows through a lot of the first arc while the second puts a bit more effort into compression via writing choices.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

nanoha s1 is weird and meandering more than anything but it is the pioneering late-night magical girl anime. and it's not like madoka doesn't have a similar pedigree with shaft, urobuchi, and aokiume among the people at the wheel

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

it was weirdly dismissive of yuri, saying most of it was either 'murder lesbians' or 'purity lesbians' (she kept pointing at and framing the editing around Bloom into You as a latter example as well?? and grouping it with stuff like girls bravo) and that most yuri anime is "seinen" and made by dudes (ignoring the original manga authors) so she's not interested in yuri in general. and then she spent the last 10 minutes complaining about how the writer of madoka magica said "probably" rather than "yes" to a question about madoka and hamura being in love, in an interview that was doubly translated from japanese to german to english

I skimmed the video a bit and she does a demographic analysis by looking up the demo tags of the series listed on the wikipedia page for yuri...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbh it's a lot more than a history gap, it's missing that magical girls for actual kids and magical girls for late-night adult audiences are related but basically wholly divergent things, with the decline in raw number of the former not really having anything to do with madoka being popular. it's like the isekai thing where the rise of reincarnation fantasy as the dominant narou template gets framed as somehow displacing 70s-90s shows about very alive kids getting zapped over to fantasy lands to save them.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 16, 2022

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

You cannot make a story without using any tropes whatsoever. The word trope is not synonymous with cliche.

as a wise wixoss character once said: "I love cliches!"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

On the other hand, I implore you not to use the website TV Tropes for anything.

everything about tvtropes and what sprouted from it makes sense when you learn it's a renamed joss whedon fansite

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If the mahoyo translation is good and foreshadows ones for the Tsukihime remakes I could see a future FSN re-release getting localized but even that optimistic case would be many years down the line.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Says winter but for specificity I'm pretty sure the Japanese and international release is already slated for December.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Larryb posted:

I’ve seen the meme before but what series is that particular screenshot from anyway?

Fighbird, one of the Brave series of mecha shows, best known for GaoGaiGar.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Larryb posted:

Thanks, is the show any good out of curiosity?

I'm only familar with parts of GGG and SRW appearances of others, but Droyer watched and wrote up impressions on all of them in the mecha thread some years back:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742843&userid=190530&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post483380647

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the uta games also all have alright (1's remake by NISA) to great (2/3 by Atlus) official localizations now so I'd recommend just playing those if you have any interest in the sequels. I haven't watched them in full, but the anime for 2 and likely 3 are generally agreed to have some fun bits of animation and moments but aren't as solid as the old anime as adaptations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I guess it doesn't matter if the $$$ keeps rolling in, but I feel like the reception to every post-avengers movie besides spiderman has been pretty mid

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

they clearly wanted to make starwars into another endless theater tentpole with even more spinoffs and supposedly whole side trilogies, but thankfully they can still stumble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbh I wouldn't take lowtax's grand insights for much

unless it was a product review for goldbelly cookies, I guess he was uniquely qualified for that