Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

GorfZaplen posted:

loving finally. The era of old men manga reigns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

marumaru posted:

is there somewhere in SA where people post good youtubes? i like to watch youtubes while having lunch/dinner but the algorithm is really unreliable
i mostly stick to adtrw and a select few game threads so i have no idea where to look for it

people post youtubes in RGD

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

FilthyImp posted:

I was playing with the VR headset yesterday and found a no frills video player that just threw a big rear end screen in front of me in pitch black that could be tilted up and down.

I threw on Eva 2.2222 for fun and ended up watching the whole drat movie because it was the closest thing to being in a theatre I've had in a while.

Highly recommended.

There's VR video players that'll put you in a VR movie theater too

honestly i like it better that way, something about floating in a featureless virtual void gives me motion sickness real quick

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Arc Hammer posted:

Is there a good article or video out there that goes into the reasons why many Shonen shows and villain hierarchies in general have a fixation on rankings, classes and statistics to rate the power of antagonists?

It's a simple storytelling tool that can be used to easily set viewer expectations and create obvious goals for the protagonist.

Sometimes it can be a social commentary thing (there are SO MANY animes where a school lumps all the misfits into a single class that's treated way worse, for example), but most of the time it's just a zero-effort way of establishing fight odds in advance.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

DoubleDonut posted:

I mean in Dragon Ball itself power levels are revealed to be Pretty Much Bullshit right after they're introduced

That's kinda the point in general.

Power levels are introduced to make the reader think "oh geez, their perfectly accurate machine said the villain is ten times as strong as the hero, how can the hero possibly win?!" Setting the expectation that the villain is overwhelmingly stronger makes for a more dramatic situation.

But of course the hero's side has to win, so they necessarily have to find some way to overturn or overcome the supposed power difference. So whatever power difference was announced via power levels has to be either changed somehow (like unlocking a new powerup) or rendered moot (like by revealing a special technique that ignores power differences).

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

The 7th Guest posted:

gently caress the first episode of Kaiba was dense. might not be able to just binge through this one with all the stuff going on in this world

yeah, Kaiba has a ton going on, gets really heavy sometimes, and has a lot of stuff where the full significance is only apparent later

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Big Leg posted:

finished s1 of jojo's and joseph being voiced by gintoki is just a perfect casting choice. i hope future jojos are as cool as joseph

they all have their own personalities so part of it's a matter of personal taste

but it's pretty hard to beat joseph at being awesome

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

surf rock posted:

OK, so piecing that together, it looks like I'll be doing:

- Season 2, episode 25
- Season 1, episode 1
- Season 1, episode 2
- Season 1, episode 7
- Season 1, episode 3
- Season 1, episode 10
- Season 1, episode 9
- Season 1, episode 11
- Season 2, episode 28
- Season 1, episode 4
- Season 2, episode 27
- Season 2, episode 26
- Season 1, episode 5
- Season 1, episode 6

And then there are additional episodes, which Wikipedia is indicating were broadcast in this order:

- Season 1, episode 8
- Season 1, episode 12
- Season 1, episode 13
- Season 1, episode 14
- Season 2, episode 15
- Season 2, episode 16
- Season 2, episode 17
- Season 2, episode 18
- Season 2, episode 19
- Season 2, episode 20
- Season 2, episode 21
- Season 2, episode 22
- Season 2, episode 23
- Season 2, episode 24

Goddamn that's so hosed

Just watch season 1 first (in broadcast order)

You'll want to make sure you really like the series before you tackle season 2, because it's a real test

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
endless eight is really funny from a "wow, they actually did that" perspective

but i don't have the patience to actually watch more than 2-3 episodes of it myself

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

hot drat that's hype

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Willo567 posted:

Anyways sorry for talking so much about zls, I have no idea why i love it so much. I feel like something is wrong with me

you're allowed to like anime

most of the time

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Willo567 posted:

I'm just gonna refrain from speaking about the show as much as possible because I realize it's annoying as gently caress all the time

posting "i know everyone hates me talking about ZLS and i'm trying to stop talking about it" over and over again is much more annoying than posting a lot about how much you like an anime in the forum for anime likers

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Captain Baal posted:

i will make a new yugioh thread during spring break

the heart of the cards is with you

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Endorph posted:

anyway one of the images (which i cant find) was of an employee lounge that had pcitures of popular meme man, robert e. o. speedwagon plasted everywhere. it was also like 5 square feet and had a single couch and a really cheap looking coffee table, and no tv or fridge or anything. people made fun of it until the guy deleted it.

was it beefy part 1 speedwagon or old man part 2 speedwagon

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

what a bunch of hype-chasing garbage

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Tabletops posted:

heroic age(did anyone else like this show?)

yeah

It had some rough parts, and I think relying too much on the space prophecies ultimately sucked a lot of the impact out of the later parts of the show, but I like that kind of sci-fi tale that takes things a little bigger than the average mecha show

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

symbolic posted:

Jeff will be posting here on Tuesday to handle any questions or comments, thank you for your patience

can't wait to relentlessly grill Jeffery on this

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Captain Invictus posted:

Is this a sudden end for Dr stone or has it been building to a conclusion? I've not read it yet. If that's the first people have heard of it, seems like an abrupt ending.

Yes you should

It's pretty clearly been in the ending arc, it honestly would've been weird if it were stretched out for more than a few more chapters at this point

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

marumaru posted:

nevermind, this is funimation's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvsXqdLbIzA

it's ugly

what a goddamn mess

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Plutonis posted:

*kills both of you at the same time with Piccolo's Makankosappo*

god drat it, now namtab is going to come back with the kaioken and completely wreck our poo poo

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Acerbatus posted:

If it makes you feel better though it was the baby mod, he quit around the time I mentioned it. I dont have pms anymore to repost the accompanying information, so you'll have to ask sebmojo for that yourself!

nobody likes this stupid bullshit except you, who seems extremely happy that anyone is paying attention to your dumb rear end at all

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Kild posted:

was it that much worse than Gundam Build Fighters regular

yeah

it's the curse of Gundam. the more successful an entry is, the more meddling it attracts from bigwigs who start loving around with things and pressuring the writers to mess with poo poo

build fighters went from a unimportant wacky side series to a new Gundam franchise of its own, and the core of fun that made it what it was got lost in the process

kirbysuperstar posted:

stay safe endorph ghost

:agreed:

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Julias posted:

Happy Birthday Oscar Plutonis

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

dogsicle posted:

people who liked 7 seem to hate everything that came after but it's difficult to get much of an answer why

i didn't think 7 was god's gift and is just a nice modern (then) pastiche of older mecha that has its own issues, so all the sequel stuff seems like it'd go over better

I don't know a whole lot about the E7 sequels, but I think it's kinda similar to how people feel about Nadesico: the original wasn't super groundbreaking but was a well-done tale with a generally optimistic outlook, and then it got a bunch of weird sequel stuff with a much darker tone that kinda stomped all over what people loved about the original.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

marumaru posted:

who ended up becoming the Anime Mod? did anyone?

it's you

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

dogsicle posted:

flashing back to Build Fighters Try

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
yeah, what's important isn't whether it's physical or digital, it's whether you have it stored locally or get it through a streaming service

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Nyoro posted:

a target of even what though, lol

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
personally i think things have gone just fine with fluffdaddy as mod

even if someone else gets the blue star, fluff is still gonna be the one running adtrw anyway, so might as well make it official

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Julias posted:

People are usually going to figure them out from their posting style, grammar, tastes, personal biases, accidentally being logged into the wrong account, etc, but also the mod being a member of the community that people can trust has a lot of benefits that an anonymous bot account wouldn't.

Baal seemed pretty trusted and liked by the ADTRW community, but that didn't really help much

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

verbal enema posted:

What is Black Rock Shooter anyways

I've seen the OVA played several songs in Project Diva and I don't know a thing about it

an indie music video that went so viral on Niconico that it somehow spawned an entire media franchise

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Machai posted:

I've started reading Eyeshield 21 and I'm currently at the game against the American team and boy is there a lot of racism happening. I get that the coach is supposed to be a rich racist rear end in a top hat but everyone else talks about how the one black character is just naturally better than everyone else because of his race and it's really off-putting. Is this going to be a thing for the rest of the series or do they stop with the blatant-racism-as-fact after this arc?

Unfortunately, it's going to come up every time someone goes against Panther, just like how "a Japanese person simply cannot withstand the huge muscular bodies of Americans" will continue to come up every time an American team is slated to go against a Japanese team.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

mycophobia posted:

im probably not going to watch anime today :\

drat, my condolences

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Varinn posted:

thank god we were protected from the vtuber menace of the john madden moonbase vid

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

truly god's salvation knows no bounds

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Namtab posted:

yeah its kinda dull and not funny

the initial reveal of the gag was funny, but it's already been dragged out way too long

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

it sounds like doctor steven strange oughta magic himself up a big cup of coffee

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Furnaceface posted:

I had a good laugh at that footage. It was so out of place and purposefully front and center surrounded by that beautifully rendered background that I coudnt even be mad.

Im only on the 5th(?) mission, out in the ocean. Had to take a break to have a nap because Im old and get up at 4:30am to get ready for work. Im being stingy as all hell even though the game has multiple times told me to spend on upgrades as soon and as much as you can, you cant go wrong. I dont believe them.

You will absolutely be able to upgrade everyone as much as you want, and also throw a bunch of random upgrades on the low-tier mechs you don't care about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

pentyne posted:

Is Gurenn Lagenn just famous for being almost a laser guided meme generator? I've never seen anyone talk about that show for anything like art, story, animation, music, etc. but for all the super insane one-liners and weird power escalation.

Any show that generated memes people still remember 15 years later was probably noteworthy in some aspect, even if those aspects have been forgotten over time. No one bothers to meme on poo poo that no one watched because it sucks.