Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFDK_TiMwkM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Watch Ranking of Kings, you nerds!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

symbolic posted:

i have been watching a lot of Summoning Salt

I've been watching a lot of Modern Martial Artist and Sideways lately. Highly recommended if you're a boxing or music nerd.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Defunctland is a great channel and the recent Fast Pass video is great and had a few laugh out loud moments

Their Jim Henson docuseries is the go-to if you want the history of the Muppets or anything regarding Henson’s life.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Waffleman_ posted:

I've been thinking about becoming A Guy Who's Read All Four Great Chinese Novels. I did Journey a few years ago, so I'm a quarter there.

Doesn't count if you don't read them in the original Chinese. Just like how Beowulf and The Canterbury Tales don't count unless you read them in the original Old and Middle English. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

:what:

I mean. It could be entertaining as long as they modernize some of the dated aspects of the comics. And change the final confrontation. Hooooooboy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Waffleman_ posted:

And as much as I liked the movie, I think animation could better behoove it.

They're not gonna get Chris Evans back as Lucas Lee, though, so it's ruined.

Chris Evans was good for the stage acting, not the voice. There are better voice actors.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

cheetah7071 posted:

I too am a fan of Saijou Claudine

Banana superiority, you plebe. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Nana is straight up the most hardcore magical/battle shoujo since Homura. Her skills were so honed and her determination so focused that she bulldozes through the entire class, INCLUDING Maya, in order to SHATTER TIME AND SPACE in order to trap her friends IN A MOTHERFUCKING TIMELOOP so as to never lose them. And even after everything is "resolved", and the auditions conclude, she comes out of nowhere to run train on everyone AGAIN, ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

:bananacoin: : Did you think we were DONE?! Did you think you could RELAX?! How DARE you act like this is over! We don't get to just go off into that good night, motherfuckers!

So awesome. :allears:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fangz posted:

Wait is the Juuna/Nana thing a reference to "time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"?

Is that a common enough linguistic anachronism for it to make it into a show about theater? lol, if so. I never caught on.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mycophobia posted:

thx for violet evergarden opinions, i reckon i'll pass on it for now. that being said, what should i watch/start this sunday. heres my anime list if youdd like to look at what i like and dont like https://myanimelist.net/animelist/sa_mycophobia?status=7&order=4&tag= thank you

From your PTW list, you should do Ping Pong, Pany & Stocking (Dubbed - trust me), and Daily Lives of High School Boys.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Shinjobi posted:

Excel Saga is good

I think. It's been 20 years since my last watch, I think?

I’m afraid to do a rewatch of Excel Saga just because it has been so long; and I don’t know if the comedy will hold up.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Missing Name posted:

None of my liguor stores have mirin and I really want to make some kickass marinades

Mirin is usually found in specialty or Asian grocery stores. I’ve never seen it sold at a liquor store. :psyduck:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm waiting for the first blockchain cause climate disaster anime.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

homeless snail posted:

its insanely funny, how mad the best part of haruhi makes people. they dont deserve it

I’ve found people who say the best part of Haruhi was Endless Eight to be curmudgeons whose primary metric for greatness is how much the thing in question pisses others off and not, you know, anything related to actual quality. Especially when Disappearance exists.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The trick is to watch season 2 four times. You just switch up which two of the eight you watch each time.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Is this one of those thing where if we all have depression, none of us do?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

cheetah7071 posted:

I did, and I liked it a lot

If nothing else than as a conversation starter, here's my ranking of the shows in this "genre" I've watched in the past year, including some hot takes:

Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight
Gekijou Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight (movie)
(big gap)
Revolutionary Girl Utena (final third)
Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero (season two)
Blue Reflection: Ray
Selector Infected Wixoss
Adolescence of Utena (movie)
Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero (season one)
Granbelm
Selector Spread Wixoss
Revolutionary Girl Utena (first third)
(big gap)
Senki Zesshou Symphogear
Revolution Girl Utena (middle third)
(big gap)
Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero (season three)

If you’re curious on what the evolutionary endpoint of the Madoka trend was, look no further than Magical Girl Raising Project. As you might be able to tell by the title, it is about as subtle as a jackhammer, but it had enough action and melodrama to keep me entertained for 12 episodes just to see what crazy dumb poo poo happened next. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I didn’t say they’d like it. I didn’t even say it was good. I said if they wanted to see the natural, as x approaches infinity take on the sad, mahou shoujo genre.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I normally don't stan for individual characters in ensemble casts like that. But Banana will forever be best Starlight girl. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2DgIqGu9Ek

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdpafAOvSCc&t=3s

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sakurazuka posted:

Watch Escaflowne

I just started a rewatch of this. It was (along with Lain), the show that got me into anime as a medium.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Space Flower posted:

i assume its dead now or w/e but he had a last.fm post that was just yeah thats me, amateur communist

tweets that people pulled out of context of whatever was going on years ago merit a grain of salt though. otoh this is what he had to say directly:

Yeah. He’s conflating “West” and “United States” there. Our education/pop culture of pre-1950s 20th Century Germany doesn't extend before WW2 for obvious reasons. I loved Tanya, honestly, and hope we get more soon. I happened to catch it while I was binging The Great War YouTube channel, so the Imperial Germany analogue was awesome.

Also, the author for Monster and 20th Century Boys is the same guy?! How did I never realize that? :psyduck:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
One of the weirdest shows I’ve ever watched on a whim was the Murder Princess OVA. Never read the manga.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Also, Sleepy Princess in Demon Castle was one of my personal favorites of the last couple years.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

marumaru posted:

i didn't finish punpun

You should finish Punpun.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

gay for gacha posted:

I'm reading yotsuba for the first time. It's mostly just light hearted and sweet, but sometimes, it's very very funny.

I only own physical copies of three manga: Yotsuba, Punpun, and the anniversary collection of Akira.
Yotsuba is my healing read.

marumaru posted:

i was in a legitimately terrible place when i was reading it and it was getting to the point where i couldnt help but notice that it was not helping me at all

it's really good though, so i'll definitely pick it up again.

Punpun is my depression read. But yeah. I hear ya. There are definitely times I’ve had to put it down for the sake of my own mental health.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Jump Super Stars was basically lightning in a bottle, even if bankai Ichigo and Trunks assist were broken as gently caress. None of the other Jump games have come close.

Like, there's a combo attack in JSS where Yugi pops out of Bobobobo's afro, summons Osiris who proceeds to hyper beam the opponent. Or Gintoki and Kakashi reading Ichapara together for 5 second before getting excited and bro clasping each other. Or Arale and Gotenks just scream blasting a fucker.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RXWIYRnElk

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Namtab posted:

It’s good

Meh. It's alright.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fluffdaddy posted:

My favorite Bleach moment is when Aizen is Jason-walking through Karakura-town and the guy in the bottom left just throws a molotov at him all non chalant. Of course it didn't do poo poo, but it was so cold blooded that every other character was like "goddamn, dude, really?"

Post the panel!

Also Soul Eater reboot, yes, please! I want to see crazy keyboard scythe and Maka in the cocktail dress animated.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 22, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Kubo should've just been a fashion designer. He doesn't have Araki's insane combination of wacky characters and peak drip.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

dogsicle posted:

horny (i'm laughing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1BK6admJwo&t=66s

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

dogsicle posted:

domas ftw

gently caress Domas. He still has a long way to go. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tales of Woe posted:

only the true anime fans are watching anime today

I'm watching Midnight Diner, today. :colbert:

And playing Elden Ring. :getin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

marumaru posted:

miranjo is cute as heck

Faceless girls with no hands should be tossed aside like the trash they are.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larry Parrish posted:

The protagonist spends 200 chapters growing with the second love interest just to end up getting with the love interest from the first volume in the space of about 5 chapters. I didn't look it up but I'm convinced it was serialized and got suddenly canceled lol. The ending is a little rushed but it's fine, I guess, it's a happy ending for the characters but it's kind of like. Narratively whack, I guess.

Scott should've gotten back together with Kim instead of Ramona.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Brutal Garcon posted:

I was weirdly fond of the Fate/Zero spinoff where the kid wizard had grown up to be a wizard professor who was also a detective.

He investigated mysteries, and none of them made any sense because everyone involved was a wizard.

Because Waver was inspired by Iskandar, the Best Servant. Ending the case files on something linked to Iskandar was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Strange Quark posted:

can you respond to this

karaage is the best age