Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's people!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People meat is probably cheaper than current beef prices.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

People meat is probably cheaper than current beef prices.

Give it 10 more years and they will be trying to normalize it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Have you seen what sirloin costs per pound? I'm ready to normalize ManBeef now!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
New ComicTropes puts Bob Kane on blast.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

New ComicTropes puts Bob Kane on blast.

I suppose it's good to raise awareness, but he's been dead for 23 years.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I suppose it's good to raise awareness, but he's been dead for 23 years.

Tough poo poo. He didn't just maneuver so that Finger & Robinson got gently caress all for credit and the financial rewards, he'd always get extremely indignant when people would draw attention to Finger & Robinson 's contributions. Dude wrote a 6 page letter to a fanzine to excoriate them for acknowledging Finger's hand in creating the Joker.

So it's not like saying this stuff when he was alive stopped him from doing it, he just doubled down. His loving grave says God was Batman's co-creator.

Even Stan never sank that low.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They can now do a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series starring Winnie the Pooh.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Alternatively, Grimm Fairy Tales' Winnie the Pooh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If that isn't already a thing then I want it to be.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

They can now do a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series starring Winnie the Pooh.

Gripweed posted:

Alternatively, Grimm Fairy Tales' Winnie the Pooh.

Can I have both at the same time, please?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

From what I've seen, Winnie the Pooh is public domain now, but the red shirt is a Disney invention that came much later.

So he can only be in Command, Science, or Medical.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The second League of Extraordinary Gentleman did put a number of other cute childrens' book animals on the Island of Dr. Moreau. It was a pretty one-note joke and I don't think Winnie the Pooh and Eeyore being there would have inflected it in any interesting ways. Basically it was just like, oh, you think you're think you're safely having sex against a tree? Think again. Beloved teddy bear Rupert is here and this time he's a drooling atrocity splattered with filth and blood.

The LoEG books have their moments, but imo they're generally when Moore has to dig pretty deep and make more esoteric connections. When he can just coast on "what if <x> was a fucken PERV mate" I get bored. Like, him reading the Harry Potter books for filth as reactionary power fantasies was a fun hook to hang something on, but the best he could come up with was Harry Potter ejaculating lightning all over London and Voldemort date raping people at Woodstock. When he can go for the low hanging fruit he too often does.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 3, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DigitalRaven posted:

From what I've seen, Winnie the Pooh is public domain now, but the red shirt is a Disney invention that came much later.

So he can only be in Command, Science, or Medical.

Looks like you're right, all the illustrations from the original AA Milne books I can find he's topless (the slut).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

Looks like you're right, all the illustrations from the original AA Milne books I can find he's topless (the slut).

https://twitter.com/timxprice/status/1477796748265463812?s=20

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

How Wonderful! posted:

The second League of Extraordinary Gentleman did put a number of other cute childrens' book animals on the Island of Dr. Moreau. It was a pretty one-note joke and I don't think Winnie the Pooh and Eeyore being there would have inflected it in any interesting ways. Basically it was just like, oh, you think you're think you're safely having sex against a tree? Think again. Beloved teddy bear Rupert is here and this time he's a drooling atrocity splattered with filth and blood.

The LoEG books have their moments, but imo they're generally when Moore has to dig pretty deep and make more esoteric connections. When he can just coast on "what if <x> was a fucken PERV mate" I get bored. Like, him reading the Harry Potter books for filth as reactionary power fantasies was a fun hook to hang something on, but the best he could come up with was Harry Potter ejaculating lightning all over London and Voldemort date raping people at Woodstock. When he can go for the low hanging fruit he too often does.

The best parts were things like the world guide in volume II or the various in-universe books and comics in Black Dossier(like Oliver Haddo's overview of the history of the Supernatural on Earth or the comic telling Orlando's life story up through WWII) as that's where the crossover aspects shined through the best

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Winnie the Pooh is going to be in the next Fables comic.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

Winnie the Pooh is going to be in the next Fables comic.

He'll give a speech about the plucky Germans

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh bother.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/aubreysitterson/status/1479154334092836868?s=20

https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1479166044367474689?s=20

https://twitter.com/aubreysitterson/status/1479179866868125699?s=20

https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1479189487150407685?s=20

To all the people who like No One Left To Fight, the American comic based on Dragonball, I got an accidental month early release. I am not gonna spoil anything but I just find it cool.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1479549897204453379

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

What part of the Ultimate line had the jingoism?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

One could argue Ultimates had it, especially in the way it treated Captain "A doesn't stand for France" America.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I love the Ultimate stuff, warts and all, and have done multiple rereads of what I can (I'm not going to waste my time on Loeb's stuff). There's definitely some jingoism but it makes sense for a cap who is thawed out post 9-11, plus it fits a world where every single character is a huge rear end in a top hat

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Madkal posted:

One could argue Ultimates had it, especially in the way it treated Captain "A doesn't stand for France" America.

Loved the Ultimates when it came out, because that kind of satire was perfect for an angry sixteen year old.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I loved Ultimates when it first came out (even though I read it in trades) but rereading it Millar's tendencies to have everyone act like the biggest arsehole in the room really became annoying really fast.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

I loved Ultimates when it first came out (even though I read it in trades) but rereading it Millar's tendencies to have everyone act like the biggest arsehole in the room really became annoying really fast.

I've got the first six issue trade and I don't think I've ever read part that with Ultimates. And I'm okay with never reading it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Bring back Owlman

Covok
May 27, 2013

The Ultimates and their surrounding part of the universe. It was always there lowkey but I had the thought when I reread an issue of Ultimate War. Basically, Magneto attacked the Triskelion and Hulk got out and ate a lot of staff. So, since Magneto is trying his "mutant domiance" shtick and blew up a bridge and the X-Men were also on blast for lying about Magneto dying, Captain America goes to Wasp, the only mutant Ultimate, and says "you know, no one blames you for this: this is not a war on mutants, it's a war on terror." I almost face palmed a bit at how badly it was handled.

And there is just this undercurrent throughout of "US military strong, US military world police, US military good" I find when I looked through some random issues. Like in Ultimate Comics Ultimate #1 where Shield is literally policing the world with the Ultimates and its shown as like a good thing, I felt.

Ultimate Spider-Man never had jingoism but the characters from Ultimates tended to have those elements. I think it all had to do with 9/11.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
What I liked about the ultimate universe was Bendis trying to tell more down to earth Spider-Man stories compared to 616, told in this New York bubble. Meanwhile the whole universe is exploding! guys like Chronos killing cities in panels, the avengers killing the Vice President, and all of Europe and New Jersey are just gone. I used to think that was completely ridiculous until like 2 years ago. The ultimate universe ahead of it’s time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The ultimate line was really cool until the blob ate the wasp, and that was the last ultimate story I read.

Too bad because I hear lots of stuff after that was still good, but life is short and I already read a lot of bad comics.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've always wanted to read more Ultimate FF with Reed going bad, but that's a lot of issues.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The thing I liked the most about Ultimate Marvel is that it was a fresh start that initially you didn't have to buy 4 versions of a characters book to get the whole story. I stopped reading Marvel comics due to being broke around 96 and I just couldn't get back into them 5 years later. Ultimate was a great way for me to get back into Marvel

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Ultimate Spider-Man is my go-to recommendation for someone who wants to get into Marvel comics even though I think it's heavily flawed. Having a single writer and artist create an continuous story without interruptions or major crossovers for over 100 issues makes it a great first read for aspiring comic readers, in my opinion.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uthor posted:

I've always wanted to read more Ultimate FF with Reed going bad, but that's a lot of issues.

It's setup in ultimate FF but him going bad is the Ultimate Enemy Trilogy and then followed up in Hickman's Ultimate run which is terrific. If you're interested in Maker stuff it's around 20 issues total that you'd actually need to read

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Interesting! I'll add it to my Marvel Unlimited queue and see if I ever get to it!

Edit: um, is there a reading guide as Marvel Unlimited is awful to navigate stuff like this.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 8, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ultimate Enemy, Ultimate Mystery, Ultimate Doom, then Hickman's Ultimates is basically everything.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I've read through Ultimate Spider-Man a couple of times. I find it oddly comforting in a "The kids will be ok" kind of way.
Norm Osborn is over used in a way that doesn't get more interesting for me, I skip a lot of those pages. But I really like the supporting cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The Maker is also in the Fialkov issues of Ultimates and Cataclysm: The Ultimates' Last Stand.