Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Did something serious happen with Tom Taylor that people are trying to cancel him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah he writes books for the wokers

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What's happening with Tom Taylor? did he say something nice about gay or trans people during pride month?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Ah no. I thought there was an issue with a cover of Nightwing or Oracle and Nightwing shipping. Didn’t know that there were other things as well. Sorry to have brought it up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

What's happening with Tom Taylor? did he say something nice about gay or trans people during pride month?

At a glance, it seems like somebody ginned up outrage against him because Cass Cain wasn't prominently featured enough on a cover.

He's also catching heat from being the Son of Kal-El guy, from his Nightwing being big on the relationship between Dick and Barbara (apparently there are still some ride-or-die fans of Dick/Kory in 2022?), and the impending debut of Dreamer.

In other words:

site posted:

yeah he writes books for the wokers

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Everything Tom Taylor touches turns to gold. Not just on your regular Nightwings or Supermans. He sometimes gets handed the stupidest premises and turns them to gold too. It's just that some people don't like it. And a lot of times it's a certain type of person that doesn't like it. And that type of person is generally a lovely type of person. I'm not saying if you don't like his stuff it's because you're a piece of poo poo. But if you're a piece of poo poo you probably won't like his stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, he writes a lot of books where I just groan at the description of, then it turns out to be great. Like after Injustice turned out so well I just thought "just make him write from the worst, most dumb edgelord premises possible, and we'll get gold."

Like, give him a Batman Who Laughs team-up with Lobo and there will be a sequence that makes you want to reconnect with family you've drifted apart from.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm going to cancel Tom Taylor for being too good at writing comics.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While it is nice that Dreamer is moving over to the mainstream DC comics universe I think I would have preferred a Dreamer/Brainy spin off tv show.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/kibblesmith/status/1540800927547809792?s=21&t=WZbUik3TFUhfAlFFM8EhCw

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

This is true. My first comic was What If Spider-Woman, Captain Marvel and Ghost Rider Were Still Evil (or something like that) and it just confused the poo poo out of Lil Happy Hippo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Happy Hippo posted:

This is true. My first comic was What If Spider-Woman, Captain Marvel and Ghost Rider Were Still Evil (or something like that) and it just confused the poo poo out of Lil Happy Hippo

Haha mine was Amazing Spider-Man 358, part 6 of a big team up story with Moon Knight, Punisher and Night Thrasher. This is dead on

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the earliest comics I remember reading was the issue where Kraven buries Spider-Man.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was getting random "three comics for the price of two" packages from the local Kmart (couldn't even see what was the 3rd book in the middle of the pile!), but the first book I went out of my way to buy was The Warlock Chronicles #1, which has made Warlock into my favorite comic character of all time.

muscles like this! posted:

One of the earliest comics I remember reading was the issue where Kraven buries Spider-Man.

The first issue of Sandman I ever read was the first issue of his funeral arc. I didn't know it was a series that was about the end! Bought the last 7 issues or so as floppies before buying the trades in random order. I wonder how much reading that story out of order helped my love of the story.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 26, 2022

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I think mine was a Spider-Man/Howard the Duck team up..! Can't say for certain though, got vague recollections of a Spider-Woman one, and another about some fly dude. Basically the only I know for sure is bug people were involved.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Mine was some random issue of the Ben Reilly Spider-Man during the clone saga and then I didn't read comics again for 20 years

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
it was an x-men comic with rogue fighting zombie ms marvel in the savage land

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Soonmot posted:

it was an x-men comic with rogue fighting zombie ms marvel in the savage land

Uncanny X-Men 269 if my can't remember anything important but can remember comic book covers brain is correct!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The first back issue I ever bought was Howard the Duck #10 because:

A. I was somehow excited for the HTD movie.
B. Spider-Man was on the cover.

The entire issue is Howard having a hallucination following the end of his presidential bid. Spider-Man came out of the bathroom sink and there was a gorilla wearing a suit. Eight-year-old me was baffled.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It was Scarlet Spider-era Clone Saga, it featured the female Doc Ock, and the cover mentioned Stewart someone was a PRISONER IN VIRTUAL REALITY which of course sold me a copy. I also grabbed a six-pack (the back six, weirdly enough) of an X-Men crossover off shelves, I forget the name but it was the time Magneto yanked the adamantium out of Logan's bones. The earliest comics I can recall buying and then shortly after that I jumped into Milestone instead.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

mine is for sure some Star Comics Droids book but I distinctly remember my first Batman comic was during 10 Nights of the Beast when I was like five.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

My older brother had mostly sequential runs of the big stuff but the only ones that stuck with me were Grell's Warlord and Savage Sword of Conan

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

secretly best girl posted:

It was Scarlet Spider-era Clone Saga, it featured the female Doc Ock, and the cover mentioned Stewart someone was a PRISONER IN VIRTUAL REALITY which of course sold me a copy. I also grabbed a six-pack (the back six, weirdly enough) of an X-Men crossover off shelves, I forget the name but it was the time Magneto yanked the adamantium out of Logan's bones. The earliest comics I can recall buying and then shortly after that I jumped into Milestone instead.

Hahaha your first issue was also my first issue, came in one of those “comic three packs” you could get at Big Lots or Dollar Tree. The other ones were a Ren and Stimpy comic and an encyclopedia of the Avengers history and all its members thus far (read that one over and over until it fell apart).

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Daredevil #122, mom brought it back from an airport with some honey roasted peanuts. I thought I was older when I stated reading proper (non-Archie) comics but come to find out I was four years old. Yay! :)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Mine was an Archie book, though who knows which one. For cape books, there’s some west coach avengers books I remember, some late 80s batman books, and a bunch of promotional Spider-Man comics.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't know if it was actually my first comic book, but the earliest comic I have a clear memory of reading was an issue of Spider-Man where a building is taken over by gremlins, and Dr. Strange, a character I had never heard of before, helps Spider-Man through the magical barrier so he can fight the Gremlins while Strange himself sits on top of the building and astrally projects in to guide him. It was part 1 of 2 but I don't think I ever found the second issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine was X-Men Classic #3, which reprinted a Roy Thomas/Neal Adams issue of Uncanny where they fight Magneto in the Savage Land, which is probably as good an intro to comics as you can get. I think I still have it somewhere.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Endless Mike posted:

I think I still have it somewhere.

I don't collect individual issues, I'm more than happy with trades or digital copies, but I went out of my way to buy a new copy of my first comic after I lost the original.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
There's an old quote from Paul Pope that I can't track down, but it went something along the lines of when he was a kid, his dad brought him Bring on the Bad Guys, reprints of stories with all the big Marvel baddies. He says that as a kid, he didn't know that there was continuity that went on after these stories, and always regarded them a nihilistic morality tales where the bad guys always win. I think about that idea a lot as I grew up reading comics that rarely had any resolution- I'd read my dad's old comics where the Avengers would be at the mercy of the Lion God or whatever and never read the resolution because he had just never bought the next issue in the mid 70s. It got even worse when I'd buy the odd comic off the spinner in the 90s and everything was an interminable "Part 6 of 15 Saga" or something, but I've always thought there was something particularly interesting about it that. As an adult it would drive me crazy, but as a kid there was always a sense of mystery that was so exciting- I was never going to know how that story ended because I didn't have the pocket money to follow the series, so I'd end up just making up my own theories.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
My first comic was a random issue from the Age of Apocalypse, so for years I just assumed that was the default setting for the X-Men. I did run across a couple of X-Men issues later that weren't part of the event, but for whatever reason, I concluded that they must be flashbacks to before the bad guys took over the world.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Besides a random Archie comic the comic I remember reading the most was from my brother and it was some random issue of Superman where someone found Pan's flute and it gave Superman horns so Superman decides it's best if he started dressing up as Batman because Batman's cowl has horns.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess I had a bunch of Archie digests before getting into superheroes, but I certainly couldn't tell you which I got first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EDIT: That was better suited for industry terribleness.

Also I made a summer thread over here since this is about to hit six months old

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 27, 2022