Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Man that sucks. I've recently been able to enjoy his work while going through 70s and 80s batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
😞

That's awful

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
In addition to his own incredible work, Neal Adams got Bill Sienkiewicz his first job doing Moon Knight for Marvel. Sienkiewicz brought in his portfolio to DC and Neal Adams met him then called up whoever was EIC at Marvel at the time (Shooter maybe?) and said "I've got a guy who draws like me, do with that what you will, and then Sienkiewicz got Moon Knight.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neal Adams was a huge advocate for creators rights, I'm devastated over hearing this.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I know most think of his Batman work but for me, the first time I saw his art was also the first X-Men story I ever read.

That Jean panel is one of my favourites to this day.

He was an incredible talent and while I guess he had a good innings, it's still a terrible shame he's gone.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

If you never visited Adams at a con, it was an experience. His table was the first time I saw a creator setup an entire booth like a store that guided you towards him. Even if you didn't buy anything, he was always warm and approachable and loved to just chat.

Not to be morbid but I'm prepared for Perez to go since we've had so much information about his health and situation. I was absolutely not prepared for Adams. This is devastating.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

RevKrule posted:

If you never visited Adams at a con, it was an experience. His table was the first time I saw a creator setup an entire booth like a store that guided you towards him. Even if you didn't buy anything, he was always warm and approachable and loved to just chat.

Not to be morbid but I'm prepared for Perez to go since we've had so much information about his health and situation. I was absolutely not prepared for Adams. This is devastating.

I remember Adams table was a whole mini shop onto its own. He also wouldn't sign anything unless you purchased something from his shop. I got a small Batman cover poster which I still have somewhere in storage. At first I was a bit annoyed about the idea of having to buy something to get a signature but he was super nice and chatty when it came time to do the signature. Dude was really a great artist and it's sad to hear of his passing. Whenever I think about him I think of his Batman artwork in the 70s and am amazed how long he was in the industry before that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I work pretty close to his family run comic shop, Neal Adams’ Crusty Bunkers. it’s a great little shop with a lot of history.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
drat. An absolute legend.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

I know most think of his Batman work but for me, the first time I saw his art was also the first X-Men story I ever read.

That Jean panel is one of my favourites to this day.

He was an incredible talent and while I guess he had a good innings, it's still a terrible shame he's gone.

UXM #58 was also the first time I saw his art and to this day its still probably the first thing I think of when I think of comic book art in general. RIP to a real legend.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

His work on X-Men is about the only X-Men worth reading pre-Giant Sized reboot. I've been keeping an eye out for his Batman omnibus these last few years, I guess prices are going to skyrocket now. Oh well.

RIP to an absolute legend.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Scott McCloud lost his wife in a car crash a couple of days ago.

https://twitter.com/scottmccloud/status/1520372119829458945?s=20&t=5c0SJJHbo8rcNPk8_CTd5A

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Geez. lovely couple of days for comics. My condolences to their loved ones.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Good god that’s awful. Yes. What a lovely couple days.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
just realized I haven't done anything for my Chronological Marvel Reading Project in a while, so I'm back with the next five issues(see my post history for previous entries);

Tales to Astonish #43: this was a fun little issue, again less so for Ant-Man himself(though there's a neat bit early in the issue where he gets all shy when a crowd notices him and wants to get autographs and interviews from him) and more for it's "villain" the Time Master whose sympathetic story has a surprisingly happy ending for an early Marvel villain

Tales of Suspense #41: in this story we see the first character to use the name Doctor Strange, this one being a mad scientist wanting world domination, probably the most interesting things about this issue are 1) we get a "superhero gets hypnotized into helping the villain" plot where everyone immediately realizes Iron Man has been put into a trance and thus not directly at blame(rather than thinking he's turned to evil or something), and 2) the story makes a big fuss about Doctor Strange being this huge world ending threat and then he just completely disappears until they brought him back for The Marvels last year(though I haven't read that series yet so I don't know the context of his appearance there)

Journey Into Mystery #93: man this was a silly issue, though unlike a lot of the Communist threats in Early Marvel, the Radio-Active Man was at least somewhat interesting as a concept(if incredibly goofy and probably mildly racist), also Thor basically nuked China at the end of this story

The Amazing Spider-Man #3: the debut of Doctor Octopus is a pretty strong one overall, including some great art by Ditko in making Doc Ock look rather creepy and menacing in a lot of panels, also yet another legendary typo in this issue when Otto calls Spider-Man Super-Man in one panel

Strange Tales #109: another solo Human Torch story that's mostly carried by it's villain, this time The Sorcerer a mystically inclined kook who commits crimes using the Evils stored inside Pandora's Box, all drawn wonderfully by Jack Kirby

overall an entertaining batch of issues and once again the covers for these issues;

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Random Stranger posted:

The world's a little smaller now.

I just want to say that this is a tragically underappreciated joke. :golfclap:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read Dark Nights Death Metal. I'd read Dark Knights Metal before, so I assume I wouldn't be too out of the loop, but Dark Knights Death Metal begins with the world having been destroyed and recreated by Joker Batman and Wonder Woman running his prison, and has the absolute most barebones flashback to explain how any of that happened.

On a meta level, I like how it says that crises and universe reboots are stupid and the only proper thing to do is make everything canon even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff. That's pretty good. But as a story it's not great. There's a lot of very portentous talk about the future, and hope, and so on, and counter portentous talk about how the future and hope and so on are bad. It turns out Batman has been dead since an event that wasn't shown in the comic which I'm sure would have been mindblowing if I had any idea when that event happened. Joker Batman gets the powers of Dr. Manhattan and then spends the rest of the story doing nothing but chasing The Flash.

Also the back of the book makes a lot of musical references so I assumed it would tie into Superman defeating Darkseid in Final Crisis with a song, but it doesn't.

I'm happy about what it did for the DC universe but it's not a very good comic. Maybe if I had read the events in between Dark Knights Metal and Dark Knights Death Metal it would've worked better.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Well the other shoe dropped and George Perez is being reported as having passed.

What a lovely couple weeks for comic history.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No.

Just no.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

drat. :(

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Confirmed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm in a teams meeting and I had to turn my camera off. I adored that man and his work. 67 is too drat young.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
That's the worst part about growing up, seeing others pass.

Myself? Don't care, but others I care about or respect passing, that I fear.

Here is what was posted:

This is the post that was mae on his Facebook status wuithin the last hour

To all of George’s fans and friends,

Constance here, with the update no one wants to read. George passed away yesterday, peacefully at home with his wife of 490 months and family by his side. He was not in pain and knew he was very, very loved.
We are all very much grieving but, at the same time, we are so incredibly grateful for the joy he brought to our lives. To know George was to love him; and he loved back. Fiercely and with his whole heart. The world is a lot less vibrant today without him in it.
He loved all of you. He loved hearing your posts and seeing the drawings you sent and the tributes you made. He was deeply proud to have brought so much joy to so many.
Everyone knows George’s legacy as a creator. His art, characters and stories will be revered for years to come. But, as towering as that legacy is, it pales in comparison to the legacy of the man George was. George’s true legacy is his kindness. It’s the love he had for bringing others joy - and I hope you all carry that with you always.
Today is Free Comic Book Day. A day George absolutely loved and a fitting day to remember his contributions to comics and to our lives. I hope you’ll enjoy your day today with him in mind. He would have loved that.
Please keep his wife Carol in your thoughts and again, I thank you for respecting her privacy. I remain available through the contact on the page.
George's memorial service will take place at MEGACON Orlando at 6pm on Sunday, May 22nd. It will be open to all. Details to follow.

We will miss him always.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 7, 2022

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Adams in Perez in the same week. Titans of the industry.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'd like to think he's drawing the entire world in a single crowd shot now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Random Stranger posted:

I'd like to think he's drawing the entire world in a single crowd shot now.

With the most exquisitely drawn rubble in the foreground.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I can't stop thinking about the Mr. Freeze gamer panel. It haunts me

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The FaZe Clan/Batman crossover is so funny in a really sad way. I don't think any members of the group even really stream video games or make gaming content any more. They're too busy fleecing their fans with crypto and NFT scams. :smith:

I guess that wouldn't have made for a good VR storyline.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

The whole premise is ludicrous. Who pitched it to whom? Who demanded it happen? Why Mister Freeze?

edit: I am a stupid person

Scuba Trooper fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 20, 2022

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't really posted about George Perez as his death really hit me hard. I know it was expected for some time but that doesn't make it any easier. Without a doubt my favorite superhero artist of all time. He drew everybody and drew them great. My most prized collectible is a copy of Infinity Gauntlet #1 signed by Perez and Starlin. Two of my second most prized collectibles are the original hardcover and the new Hero Initiative trade of JLA/Avengers. More than anything I think you can point at anything Perez drew and say "That right there, that's the joy of reading comics" because everything he did is filled with wonder and imagination. And by all accounts he was just about one of the coolest and nicest dudes on the planet. It sucks that he's gone but he's left work that will stand the test of time and will be remembered as one of the best to ever to do it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
One of my favorite bits in JLA/Avengers is Batman and Captain America in Grandmaster's base, seeing all the little details in the background (like the Rock 'em Sock 'em Celestials).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Well, this certainly explains that part in Doom Patrol

https://twitter.com/ampol_moment/status/1528379738959626240?s=21&t=8oJXspNgwKgo64ZJQV5Jew

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Has anyone here ever gotten a comic CGC graded? After some thinking I really would like to do it with my Hero Initiative copy of JLA/Avengers. I've never even once opened a page on it and it's in pristine condition. I don't want to do it for selling it in the future or anything. I'll never sell it. I'd just like to have it in that CGC verified case. I have one other CGC book but I bought that one already graded. And similarly I don't give a poo poo about the value of it either it's more just for aesthetics.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

X-O posted:

Has anyone here ever gotten a comic CGC graded? After some thinking I really would like to do it with my Hero Initiative copy of JLA/Avengers. I've never even once opened a page on it and it's in pristine condition. I don't want to do it for selling it in the future or anything. I'll never sell it. I'd just like to have it in that CGC verified case. I have one other CGC book but I bought that one already graded. And similarly I don't give a poo poo about the value of it either it's more just for aesthetics.

I've done it for a few books, both yellow and blue label.

I've never submitted through mail though. I've always submitted at a con, either directly to CGC or through a facilitator (a facilitator can be very useful in that depending, they're willing to take it to other shows to get it signed for yellow labels).

It takes about 2ish months to get the book back (obviously longer if you go through a facilitator and they're getting signatures for you).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1529070060458885121?s=20&t=wBucXRR6Kf8PRad7GVHBMg

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
God I love that comic. The hardcover should be waiting in my pile at the shop, I need to go pick it up.

Silver Sprocket is a top tier comics publisher these days. When I’m looking at previews I’m almost always grabbing something from them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

X-O posted:

I've done it, it's expensive (pay for shipping both ways and pay per book). Look on their website and see if there's a drop off location near you to save on shipping.

It took a few months to get them back but I wasn't in a rush.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Season 3 of the Batman board game and the debut of the Batman TTRPG is up on Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/batmantm-gotham-city-chronicles-season-3-and-rpg/posts/3515186

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RevKrule posted:

I've done it for a few books, both yellow and blue label.

I've never submitted through mail though. I've always submitted at a con, either directly to CGC or through a facilitator (a facilitator can be very useful in that depending, they're willing to take it to other shows to get it signed for yellow labels).

It takes about 2ish months to get the book back (obviously longer if you go through a facilitator and they're getting signatures for you).

If you're sending it through mail make loving sure you wrap it well and pay proper postage. I don't know about comics but I work at the post office and was at a place that got all of the mail for a place that graded MTG cards, and their would be a few hosed up one's every once and a while. You can't send a single card in a hard case in an envelope with a standard stamp. If you think it's a card worth a lot of money, best case scenario is we catch it and it gets returned to you with a postage due stamp, worst case is we process it like a normal letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Skwirl posted:

If you're sending it through mail make loving sure you wrap it well and pay proper postage. I don't know about comics but I work at the post office and was at a place that got all of the mail for a place that graded MTG cards, and their would be a few hosed up one's every once and a while. You can't send a single card in a hard case in an envelope with a standard stamp. If you think it's a card worth a lot of money, best case scenario is we catch it and it gets returned to you with a postage due stamp, worst case is we process it like a normal letter.

Honestly this is the number one reason I tend to drop off at cons, especially just directly w/CGC. I'm always fearful that the post office (or honestly any package delivery service) is gonna gently caress up the books before they even get to be graded.