Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Open Marriage Night posted:

Season 3 of the Batman board game and the debut of the Batman TTRPG is up on Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/batmantm-gotham-city-chronicles-season-3-and-rpg/posts/3515186

I mean I backed the Marvel Zombies one, do I grab this one and try some kind of crossover shenanigans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The board game is ok, but what I’m really looking forward to is the RPG books. Being able to use the board game figures and maps sounds like a lot of fun.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Has anyone ever attended FanExpo Chicago? How is it? My new job is sending me to Chicago for a training session on Friday, July 8th, and the convention is that weekend! They are putting me up in a hotel the nights of the 7th and the 8th, so today I booked a late flight home on Saturday the 9th to be able to attend.

FanExpo runs Orlando's MegaCon, which I've gone to many times (but not for the past three years). It is always crowded and poorly organized, and they really downplay the actual comic stuff that I'm interested in, in favor of anime, cosplay, and random celebrity and YouTuber photo ops.

But Bendis and Geoff Johns are at FanExpo, and I would love to meet them and bring them some books to sign, so I think I'm gonna go, as long as those guys don't cancel.

https://fanexpohq.com/fanexpochicago/comic-creators/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

FanExpo runs Orlando's MegaCon, which I've gone to many times (but not for the past three years). It is always crowded and poorly organized, and they really downplay the actual comic stuff that I'm interested in, in favor of anime, cosplay, and random celebrity and YouTuber photo ops.

It used to be called Wizard World? If it's the same thing, yah, it's mostly focused on selling stuff to attendents. I've popped in a few times cause my friend does the artist alley, so I don't really know how the discussions/talks are. Otherwise, it's one room full of artist alley and (mostly) comic and t-shirt and Funko sellers, another room mostly full of other types of sellers, and a packed entrence hall (that you don't technically need a ticket for) with people in cosplay taking photos.

And, yes, I haven't been there since covid started. I don't think I popped in the year before that, either. My friend would go with four or five people and they crashed at my parents' house in like 2017 or 2018 for the last time. (my dad's health is downhill and my folks can't host them, so they rent a random house these days) I may have popped in once after that.

Edit: I'd double check to see if they are doing artist alley or if you would need to buy a ticket and wait in line for a meet and greet.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 1, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Good comics related tweet to start Pride month.

https://twitter.com/OerbaDiaErin/status/1531691380602548225?t=3ucGCYUURaR0uvhytkmKUg&s=19

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

https://fanexpohq.com/fanexpochicago/comic-creators/
I run gaming at Megacon Orlando. The County and state officials that manage the center, which is the only place for 150,000 people, runs it as well as any governmental thing in Florida. (Looky there Ron, it’s Pikachu) Disney can handle the crowds like that but they don’t have the square footage free. Locally we often run smaller events at hotels but Megacon is freaking huge.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

TampaTango posted:

I run gaming at Megacon Orlando. The County and state officials that manage the center, which is the only place for 150,000 people, runs it as well as any governmental thing in Florida. (Looky there Ron, it’s Pikachu) Disney can handle the crowds like that but they don’t have the square footage free. Locally we often run smaller events at hotels but Megacon is freaking huge.

I meant no disrespect to you, especially since I'm not a gamer.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hi, I'm currently in the middle of scanning my entire collection of Wizard Magazine. There's a thread in this very forum where I'm posting about it issue by issue, we just started so we're only on issue five at this point. The content is pretty boring as of right now but I'm trying to barrel through those early issues to get to the '90s craziness we all remember. But this post isn't just to plug that thread. This post is to share vital information that must get re-released into the world as soon as possible. Even though it's early going in the thread I'm actually up to issue #124 on my scanning. And this is too good to wait for. Enjoy this informative lesson that could change your life. Brought to you from the pages of Wizard Magazine #124, January 2002.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 8, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah sure Greg, photo "references"

This got a chuckle out of me.

https://twitter.com/ifyoucantwell/status/1534325878632550400?t=4g3R_DlhJPSpJs_pYIVlFw&s=19

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
better hope that kid doesn't hate iron man

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

better hope that kid doesn't hate iron man

What kind hates Iron Man? There's a video of a kid missing an arm and Robert Downey Jr shows up to give him a new prosthetic and the kid is mostly just annoyed he's not in the suit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I would love to go back in time and tell an X-Men and Spider-Man reading young Medullah that Iron Man will be one of the most popular superheroes in the future.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

What kind hates Iron Man? There's a video of a kid missing an arm and Robert Downey Jr shows up to give him a new prosthetic and the kid is mostly just annoyed he's not in the suit.

smart ones

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you want to be super sad Kevin Conroy wrote a comic for this year's DC Pride about his experience as a closeted gay actor in the 80s and the lead up to his getting cast as Batman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I didn't know Kevin Conroy was gay.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I didn't know Kevin Conroy was gay.

Makes him an even better Batman

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/JimLee/status/1536401890048520192

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
First time I met Sale at a con he drew a quick Batman sketch along with signing a book for the library I work at. It was really cool seeing as he usually would do commissions at cons and such. I always appreciated that. Also one my first (and favourite) Batman stories was by him. He was the first Batman artist that I can remember who did something really stylistically awesome with the character.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Oh man I legit gasped at the beginning of that tweet…but the man’s not out yet. I hope he pulls through. A truly special artist

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I don't know if this is a stupid question but I am just starting to read comics and how many different series am I supposed to read at once, and how should I go about reading old issues? I've been reading The New 52 Batman and then also Detective Comics, but then one of the issues referred to Batman: The Dark Knight and so I read that up to the relevant issue, and I guess am I expected to also be reading Batgirl / Batman and Robin / Batman Incorporated et al? Is it worth reading them chronologically or do I just read a batch of Detective Comics, then read a batch of Batman: The Dark Knight, and so forth?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Unless it's a cross over, just read what you want. If it is a cross over, then you have some choices to make.

Over on the marvel side, there's marvel unlimited which is a subscription service that gives you access to all current comics from three months ago as well as a whole bunch of classic comics.

Otherwise most major titles will get a trade paperback release which will collect about 6 issues if you want physical media. Comixology will have digital issues for sale and has frequent sales. I know Ms Marvel's first trade is currently free since I recently linked it to a friend.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I don't know if this is a stupid question but I am just starting to read comics and how many different series am I supposed to read at once, and how should I go about reading old issues? I've been reading The New 52 Batman and then also Detective Comics, but then one of the issues referred to Batman: The Dark Knight and so I read that up to the relevant issue, and I guess am I expected to also be reading Batgirl / Batman and Robin / Batman Incorporated et al? Is it worth reading them chronologically or do I just read a batch of Detective Comics, then read a batch of Batman: The Dark Knight, and so forth?

It varies massively by what you're reading, sounds like you're mostly interested in Batman who's had comics continuedly published since the 1939, so it's a giant clusterfuck of what's in continuity and what's not. But generally just read a storyline and if there's a reference to Batgirl or whatever and it interests you maybe seek out those issues. Then there's crossovers where, yeah you have to read one issue of a comic, then another issue of a different comic, then another issue of a third comic and so on. You can google search "[event} reading order and will find reading lists pretty easily for the more confusing ones, for example No Man's Land was a pretty big Batman event and googling "batman no man's land reading order" gets you this in the second result
https://www.comicbooktreasury.com/batman-no-mans-land-reading-order/
Which lists a bunch of trade paperbacks, but at the bottom just lists the issues in order of release.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Soonmot posted:

Over on the marvel side, there's marvel unlimited which is a subscription service that gives you access to all current comics from three months ago as well as a whole bunch of classic comics.

There's DC Universe Infinite that does that same for DC comics. I hear they are spotty on older issues (right now). Gonna hop onto it soon to read old Batman comics with my friends, we'll see how good it is, then.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/WBlakeKimber/status/1536731425327570947?t=59YDP_hkIqeDOAx5DreaWg&s=19

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Aren't they making Her evil now though?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Aren't they making Her evil now though?

I don't really follow DC, but I thought she had a mini right now where she's like at least a sympathetic anti-hero.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i thought i read something about her and harley breaking up so ivy decides to murder all of humanity

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

i thought i read something about her and harley breaking up so ivy decides to murder all of humanity

Sounds fair.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/artbysale/status/1537500528833228800?s=21&t=TCW1lfDB9oEl-vt4c5KWhg

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This one is a shock more than the other recent passings. The illness was just out of nowhere...

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
gently caress

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ah man this sucks.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

RIP to a legend. That sucks so much. :(

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Is it worth trying to sell the three boxes of 90s comics I found while digging through my parents storage, or should I just recycle them?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RandolphCarter posted:

Is it worth trying to sell the three boxes of 90s comics I found while digging through my parents storage, or should I just recycle them?

I mean, depends on what the books are. There's a few that are worth a bunch from that time period.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Men Who Created Gundam got it's much-delayed US release this week. It's the lightly dramatized story of the creation of the original Mobile Suit Gundam series and movie trilogy.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Medullah posted:

I mean, depends on what the books are. There's a few that are worth a bunch from that time period.

Guess I’ll make a weekend of looking through them. What’s a good pricing site for comics?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I’m not at all familiar with Gundam, so what is that but of animation they’re referring to? Is there a YouTube clip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

IUG posted:

I’m not at all familiar with Gundam, so what is that but of animation they’re referring to? Is there a YouTube clip?

:25 in here sums it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y7w6NE0bIY

The book is EXCELLENT even if there are definitely some "ah, the 70s" stories in there from time to time.