Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward every male actor in Hollywood portraying Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Remember Dawn? Dawn used to be everywhere in comics shops. I don't know if there were ever any Dawn comics or anything, but people loved the idea of a really hot chick with red hair and dramatic eye makeup, They should bring Dawn back.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Remember Dawn? Dawn used to be everywhere in comics shops. I don't know if there were ever any Dawn comics or anything, but people loved the idea of a really hot chick with red hair and dramatic eye makeup, They should bring Dawn back.

I think it was one of those things where there were two issues and six pin-up collections.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The only thing I remember about Dawn is that it was drawn by someone who looked like the kind of person who would like Dawn

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
There were quite a few different Dawn series. I BRIEFLY got into it because yes, I was a horny young lad. I found them a couple years ago hoping they'd be worth something but NOPE.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dawn was my first in person exposure to Cosplay wandering a convention floor.

JML is still around doing covers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Joseph Michael Lisner looks exactly like the person who would draw Dawn, yeah.

According to Wiki there was 30 issues of Dawn published between 1989 and 2005.

DragonCon used to have a Dawn lookalike contest.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Madkal posted:

The only thing I remember about Dawn is that it was drawn by someone who looked like the kind of person who would like Dawn

*googles* Yup, that's him all right.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/toscanoigor/status/1517042638301630465?s=20&t=0n5PNFpDLGcAEUjfnOSe6Q

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Man, the idea that the Captain Marvel movie is an Air Force commercial is so loving weird. There was cross promotions with the air force so some people, even people who claim to have actually watched the movie, believe the movie itself is pro-Air Force. It's one of those things where people's distaste for the MCU as a cultural behemoth makes it impossible for them to accurately view the movie.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Gripweed posted:

There was cross promotions with the air force

My dude, this is the literal definition of propaganda.

Edit: And it loving worked https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/01/05/captain-marvel-effect-air-force-academy-sees-most-female-applicants-5-years.html

Lencho fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 21, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's a silly thing to think because there wasn't any "cross promotion". Any movie that uses any military stuff has to have them sign off so that's why the Air Force is credited, but it's not like the movie is about how cool the US Military is. The literal plot is that the militaristic force she's fighting for is actually an imperialistic bunch of invaders and the "bad guys" are just an indigenous population trying to survive. It's not subtle

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Opopanax posted:

It's a silly thing to think because there wasn't any "cross promotion". Any movie that uses any military stuff has to have them sign off so that's why the Air Force is credited, but it's not like the movie is about how cool the US Military is. The literal plot is that the militaristic force she's fighting for is actually an imperialistic bunch of invaders and the "bad guys" are just an indigenous population trying to survive. It's not subtle

yeah the cross promotion was all in the advertising. The text of the movie itself in no way promoted the Air Force

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think the only actual mention of the air force is the brief scene where she gets harassed by a male pilot at the bar

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I met two different people in college who were there on the GI bill who joined the Marines after watching Full Metal Jacket. The link above shows women were applying for the Air Force because of Captain Marvel. Just because you think you are smarter than that doesn't mean it's not propaganda.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
are you saying full metal jacket is propaganda

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skwirl posted:

I met two different people in college who were there on the GI bill who joined the Marines after watching Full Metal Jacket.

Um, did they not watch the film carefully? Definitely not a selling point for being in the military!

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Uthor posted:

Um, did they not watch the film carefully? Definitely not a selling point for being in the military!

I can't recall who said it, but there's a famous quote that says that it is impossible to make an anti-war war movie. And people can also be dumb as rocks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lencho posted:

I can't recall who said it, but there's a famous quote that says that it is impossible to make an anti-war war movie. And people can also be dumb as rocks.

I have heard people say this as if it is an absolute truth but All Quiet on the Western Front still exists

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lencho posted:

I can't recall who said it, but there's a famous quote that says that it is impossible to make an anti-war war movie.

Whoever said that had never seen How I Won The War.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

These were relatively smart dudes compared to everyone else I was going to college with. And yes, they saw the whole film.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Skwirl posted:

I met two different people in college who were there on the GI bill who joined the Marines after watching Full Metal Jacket.

They must not be as smart as they appear to be or they think that abusing a Marine recruit is a good way to weed out the “weak”

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I recall seeing one putz on Twitter, as part of a "THE MCU IS AN OP" rant, claiming that Captain Marvel's superhero costume contains the same colors as the American flag.

When you're so far gone you're seeing yellow as white, I don't even know what to say.

Senior Woodchuck fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 22, 2022

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wait until they hear about Steve Roger’s uniform.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

My local comic shop had their annual summer sale today. They didn't have a lot of the stuff I was looking for, but for some reason they had a ton of old sci-fi paperbacks for a buck fifty each.

not bad

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

My local comic shop had their annual summer sale today. They didn't have a lot of the stuff I was looking for, but for some reason they had a ton of old sci-fi paperbacks for a buck fifty each.

not bad

This rules

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Jordan7hm posted:

This rules

The weird thing is that it's not one of the old fashioned comic stores filled with random stuff the owner has gotten their hands on over the decades, stuff into corners and hidden in stacks. It's a modern clean family friendly comic shop with windows and lights and everything. Annoyingly they don't even stock the hornier comics. So it's baffling that they had a full shelf of 60 year old sci-fi novels in mint condition

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
There's a comic shop near me that keeps a couple shelves of used genre paperbacks, but they're shelved two deep and it annoys me to an unreasonable level that I would have to take down the first layer of novels to see what's behind them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The one in Peoria, IL has a wall of new comics, a wall of recent comics, a wall of trades, a cabinet of used issues of storylines wrapped together as bundles, like 9 tables of old comics that I almost never saw anyone buying, a poster display to flip through, racks of CDs, a wall of vinyl, several cabinets of toys, some original art behind the counter, random things under the counter (once a really rare Nintendo GameCube machine from Japan), and started putting cardboard boxes of used video games on the other counters. I remember a fridge bottles of soda in the corner. My buddy started selling fan art posters and stickers and that was on display around the counter.

For the longest time, their nearest competitor was 45 minutes away on the highway. There was recently a small place open much closer, but they focused more on card games.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 23, 2022

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My local has a ton of back issues that are overpriced, a couple walls of new/fairly new releases, and that’s about it. In their old location they used to have more dollar bin type selections but their new space has less room so they appear to have done away with those. It’s 100% comics though, which I appreciate. I would also accept old paperbacks, I love that.

It’s also well lit and clean, which I think is important. I’m willing to dig around in gross stores and impromptu table setups, but I much prefer a store I would be ok with my partner walking into with me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Jordan7hm posted:

My local has a ton of back issues that are overpriced, a couple walls of new/fairly new releases, and that’s about it. In their old location they used to have more dollar bin type selections but their new space has less room so they appear to have done away with those. It’s 100% comics though, which I appreciate. I would also accept old paperbacks, I love that.

It’s also well lit and clean, which I think is important. I’m willing to dig around in gross stores and impromptu table setups, but I much prefer a store I would be ok with my partner walking into with me.

Many years ago my local comic shop moved and part of their contract was that they couldn't sell any "used" goods, so they stopped carrying back issues entirely. They went full force into Pokemon and Magic and it's a totally different shop. Bright, clean, lots of different customer types.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Was TMNT:Last Ronin good?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The part in DCeased where Constantine found the bunker where all the billionaires were hiding from the apocalypse and effortlessly sucked up all their souls in Ragman's cape to make himself more powerful because they were all, the the last man, irredeemably evil was pretty good.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone pick up the second half of Jim Rugg's Hulk Grand Design? There's a straight up Savage Dragon cameo in it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Brian Hitch getting super loving real.

https://twitter.com/THEBRYANHITCH/status/1519748443425619968?t=9nC_-SxDiv44kFIJhamHNA&s=19

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I popped hot on a rapid test this morning after two negative ones Tuesday and yesterday. I feel like 90% okay, just have a mild sore throat and cough. I'm way more annoyed that we had to cancel our elopement celebration BBQ tomorrow. On the plus side, it means we can eat the brisket and pork butt tonight instead of waiting until tomorrow. Wife, of course, feels totally fine and her rapid test is negative. (She went and got a PCR test for obvious reasons, but we won't get those results until Monday at the earliest - I dropped one off Wednesday that I'm still waiting on.)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I popped hot on a rapid test this morning after two negative ones Tuesday and yesterday. I feel like 90% okay, just have a mild sore throat and cough. I'm way more annoyed that we had to cancel our elopement celebration BBQ tomorrow. On the plus side, it means we can eat the brisket and pork butt tonight instead of waiting until tomorrow. Wife, of course, feels totally fine and her rapid test is negative. (She went and got a PCR test for obvious reasons, but we won't get those results until Monday at the earliest - I dropped one off Wednesday that I'm still waiting on.)

sorry to hear that, but also enjoy that brisket

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Well poop

Neal Adams, Comic Book Artist Who Revitalized Batman and Fought for Creators’ Rights, Dies at 80

He influenced multiple generations with his style and co-created such characters as Ra's al Ghul, the Man-Bat and one of DC's first Black superheroes, Green Lantern Jon Stewart.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/neal-adams-dead-batman-comics-artist-1235138106/

Neal Adams, the legendary comic book artist who reinvigorated Batman and other superheroes with his photorealistic stylings and championed the rights of creators, has died. He was 80.

Adams died Thursday in New York of complications from sepsis, his wife, Marilyn Adams, told The Hollywood Reporter.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Last Call posted:

Well poop

Neal Adams, Comic Book Artist Who Revitalized Batman and Fought for Creators’ Rights, Dies at 80

He influenced multiple generations with his style and co-created such characters as Ra's al Ghul, the Man-Bat and one of DC's first Black superheroes, Green Lantern Jon Stewart.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/neal-adams-dead-batman-comics-artist-1235138106/

Neal Adams, the legendary comic book artist who reinvigorated Batman and other superheroes with his photorealistic stylings and championed the rights of creators, has died. He was 80.

Adams died Thursday in New York of complications from sepsis, his wife, Marilyn Adams, told The Hollywood Reporter.

The world's a little smaller now.