Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

New ComicTropes puts Bob Kane on blast.

I suppose it's good to raise awareness, but he's been dead for 23 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DigitalRaven posted:

From what I've seen, Winnie the Pooh is public domain now, but the red shirt is a Disney invention that came much later.

So he can only be in Command, Science, or Medical.

Looks like you're right, all the illustrations from the original AA Milne books I can find he's topless (the slut).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ultimate Enemy, Ultimate Mystery, Ultimate Doom, then Hickman's Ultimates is basically everything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

I will go to bat for Ultimate X-Men run by Millar even though he does that annoying thing I mentioned about his Ultimates run. The stories are fun and stupid and it managed to somehow, beyond all possibility, get a good story by Chuck Austen in there. Mind blowing. The weird thing about Ultimate X-Men is after Millar left it got some top talent on it (Bendis, BKV, Kirkman) but just kept getting worse and worse. Bendis run had some good stuff in it but there was the awful Deadpool arc in there which decided that the Ultimate version of Deadpool would be the absolute opposite of his 616 counterpart.

The Bendis Ultimate Deadpool arc was in Spider-Man, but had a lot of X-Men in it, so I understand the confusion.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

I don't think Millar has any good feelings about the US military. Bendis has complained in the past about trying to tell uplifting, positive stories in Ultimate Spider-Man, while dealing with Millar's overwhelming nihilism in the Ultimates.

The first arc of Ultimate X-Men had Sentinals just murdering mutant kids in the street, t was absolutely just "Oh poo poo, yeah Magneto is 100% justified in everything he does because we are fighting against an attempt at genocide" but then tried to pretend Xavier was smarter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

StumblyWumbly posted:

They banned Maus because people, in 2022, were worried about the phrase "god drat" and nudity, which I think was shown either in Auschwitz or when Spiegelman shows his mother killing herself.
The meeting minutes are a wonder, they talked about it for 19 pages. Nothing else happened in the meeting, it was all about Maus.

Oh no, a 14 year old read the word "god drat" and saw a naked cartoon mouse. Are they okay?

also, how are those active shooter drills going?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TampaTango posted:

Amazon sold out.

When it comes back I am getting at least a copy to donate.

There's places other than Amazon to order books from.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

A friend of mine and one of my best former customers opened a new comic shop here in town on Saturday. It's pretty great, hits all the right notes and he's running with all the ideas he and I used to shoot back and forth when I still worked at the old shop. Swung in for the grand opening and met his crew and business partner. Took less than 10 minutes for them to offer me a job and I've never felt more like I should run away screaming then in that moment.

I declined the offer.

Doesn't your current job pay way better? Should have said "I'll do it for (current salary +20%)" just to see their jaw drop.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Okay, the quoted tweet is amazing, and I'm really sad the other tweet didn't happen.

https://twitter.com/DirkMaggs/status/1503645203072262145?s=20&t=4Q6SYsxtDKY4zKv5Mv4fGA

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/Jody_Houser/status/1505291317781311490?t=-hCSev8Mr5ot_cV9eVswlg&s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1513937803637407762?s=20&t=ABZaCKdYS-8yPF_juiLldA

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I met two different people in college who were there on the GI bill who joined the Marines after watching Full Metal Jacket. The link above shows women were applying for the Air Force because of Captain Marvel. Just because you think you are smarter than that doesn't mean it's not propaganda.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Um, did they not watch the film carefully? Definitely not a selling point for being in the military!

These were relatively smart dudes compared to everyone else I was going to college with. And yes, they saw the whole film.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Brian Hitch getting super loving real.

https://twitter.com/THEBRYANHITCH/status/1519748443425619968?t=9nC_-SxDiv44kFIJhamHNA&s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

In addition to his own incredible work, Neal Adams got Bill Sienkiewicz his first job doing Moon Knight for Marvel. Sienkiewicz brought in his portfolio to DC and Neal Adams met him then called up whoever was EIC at Marvel at the time (Shooter maybe?) and said "I've got a guy who draws like me, do with that what you will, and then Sienkiewicz got Moon Knight.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RevKrule posted:

I've done it for a few books, both yellow and blue label.

I've never submitted through mail though. I've always submitted at a con, either directly to CGC or through a facilitator (a facilitator can be very useful in that depending, they're willing to take it to other shows to get it signed for yellow labels).

It takes about 2ish months to get the book back (obviously longer if you go through a facilitator and they're getting signatures for you).

If you're sending it through mail make loving sure you wrap it well and pay proper postage. I don't know about comics but I work at the post office and was at a place that got all of the mail for a place that graded MTG cards, and their would be a few hosed up one's every once and a while. You can't send a single card in a hard case in an envelope with a standard stamp. If you think it's a card worth a lot of money, best case scenario is we catch it and it gets returned to you with a postage due stamp, worst case is we process it like a normal letter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Good comics related tweet to start Pride month.

https://twitter.com/OerbaDiaErin/status/1531691380602548225?t=3ucGCYUURaR0uvhytkmKUg&s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah sure Greg, photo "references"

This got a chuckle out of me.

https://twitter.com/ifyoucantwell/status/1534325878632550400?t=4g3R_DlhJPSpJs_pYIVlFw&s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

better hope that kid doesn't hate iron man

What kind hates Iron Man? There's a video of a kid missing an arm and Robert Downey Jr shows up to give him a new prosthetic and the kid is mostly just annoyed he's not in the suit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I didn't know Kevin Conroy was gay.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I don't know if this is a stupid question but I am just starting to read comics and how many different series am I supposed to read at once, and how should I go about reading old issues? I've been reading The New 52 Batman and then also Detective Comics, but then one of the issues referred to Batman: The Dark Knight and so I read that up to the relevant issue, and I guess am I expected to also be reading Batgirl / Batman and Robin / Batman Incorporated et al? Is it worth reading them chronologically or do I just read a batch of Detective Comics, then read a batch of Batman: The Dark Knight, and so forth?

It varies massively by what you're reading, sounds like you're mostly interested in Batman who's had comics continuedly published since the 1939, so it's a giant clusterfuck of what's in continuity and what's not. But generally just read a storyline and if there's a reference to Batgirl or whatever and it interests you maybe seek out those issues. Then there's crossovers where, yeah you have to read one issue of a comic, then another issue of a different comic, then another issue of a third comic and so on. You can google search "[event} reading order and will find reading lists pretty easily for the more confusing ones, for example No Man's Land was a pretty big Batman event and googling "batman no man's land reading order" gets you this in the second result
https://www.comicbooktreasury.com/batman-no-mans-land-reading-order/
Which lists a bunch of trade paperbacks, but at the bottom just lists the issues in order of release.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/WBlakeKimber/status/1536731425327570947?t=59YDP_hkIqeDOAx5DreaWg&s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Aren't they making Her evil now though?

I don't really follow DC, but I thought she had a mini right now where she's like at least a sympathetic anti-hero.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

i thought i read something about her and harley breaking up so ivy decides to murder all of humanity

Sounds fair.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What's happening with Tom Taylor? did he say something nice about gay or trans people during pride month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, he writes a lot of books where I just groan at the description of, then it turns out to be great. Like after Injustice turned out so well I just thought "just make him write from the worst, most dumb edgelord premises possible, and we'll get gold."

Like, give him a Batman Who Laughs team-up with Lobo and there will be a sequence that makes you want to reconnect with family you've drifted apart from.