Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Open Marriage Night posted:

What part of the Ultimate line had the jingoism?

One could argue Ultimates had it, especially in the way it treated Captain "A doesn't stand for France" America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I loved Ultimates when it first came out (even though I read it in trades) but rereading it Millar's tendencies to have everyone act like the biggest arsehole in the room really became annoying really fast.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I will go to bat for Ultimate X-Men run by Millar even though he does that annoying thing I mentioned about his Ultimates run. The stories are fun and stupid and it managed to somehow, beyond all possibility, get a good story by Chuck Austen in there. Mind blowing. The weird thing about Ultimate X-Men is after Millar left it got some top talent on it (Bendis, BKV, Kirkman) but just kept getting worse and worse. Bendis run had some good stuff in it but there was the awful Deadpool arc in there which decided that the Ultimate version of Deadpool would be the absolute opposite of his 616 counterpart.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Glad to hear things are getting better. Hope the path forward brings some calmness and happiness

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Something something cancer culture something something liberal snowflakes can't handle the truth something something.

I work in a library. These kind of things are horror stories for us.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Am glad people are at least picking up Maus and reading it, if anything else. If people are buying it to read for the first time to see what the fuss is about that is fine with me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
How do you feel about people actually reading Maus?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Mazel tov. Was it a nerd like event?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Not exactly. We got married by Elvis in Las Vegas with a handful of friends present.

Technically Elvis copied his look from Captain Marvel so it counts!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The only thing I remember about Dawn is that it was drawn by someone who looked like the kind of person who would like Dawn

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lencho posted:

I can't recall who said it, but there's a famous quote that says that it is impossible to make an anti-war war movie. And people can also be dumb as rocks.

I have heard people say this as if it is an absolute truth but All Quiet on the Western Front still exists

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

RevKrule posted:

If you never visited Adams at a con, it was an experience. His table was the first time I saw a creator setup an entire booth like a store that guided you towards him. Even if you didn't buy anything, he was always warm and approachable and loved to just chat.

Not to be morbid but I'm prepared for Perez to go since we've had so much information about his health and situation. I was absolutely not prepared for Adams. This is devastating.

I remember Adams table was a whole mini shop onto its own. He also wouldn't sign anything unless you purchased something from his shop. I got a small Batman cover poster which I still have somewhere in storage. At first I was a bit annoyed about the idea of having to buy something to get a signature but he was super nice and chatty when it came time to do the signature. Dude was really a great artist and it's sad to hear of his passing. Whenever I think about him I think of his Batman artwork in the 70s and am amazed how long he was in the industry before that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
First time I met Sale at a con he drew a quick Batman sketch along with signing a book for the library I work at. It was really cool seeing as he usually would do commissions at cons and such. I always appreciated that. Also one my first (and favourite) Batman stories was by him. He was the first Batman artist that I can remember who did something really stylistically awesome with the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Besides a random Archie comic the comic I remember reading the most was from my brother and it was some random issue of Superman where someone found Pan's flute and it gave Superman horns so Superman decides it's best if he started dressing up as Batman because Batman's cowl has horns.