Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They can now do a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series starring Winnie the Pooh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Alternatively, Grimm Fairy Tales' Winnie the Pooh.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

Looks like you're right, all the illustrations from the original AA Milne books I can find he's topless (the slut).

https://twitter.com/timxprice/status/1477796748265463812?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/H1ghlander117/status/1486997399948177415?s=20&t=GZIehmQ60n8937QgTsXXoA

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Endless Mike posted:

I got married yesterday :3:

congratulations

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read Chainsaw Man 9 today. I know there's two volumes left and you can't judge a series until you get to the end but I'm willing to plant a flag here and say Chainsaw Man is the greatest comic book ever.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Random Stranger posted:

With Netflix losing their Marvel shows in two weeks (and giving people very little advance warning), should I finally get around to watching them?

I saw the first season of Daredevil and Jessica Jones and meant to get around to the rest eventually...

The first half of the first season of Luke Cage is also quite good. The rest is skippable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Opopanax posted:

Only thing I haven't seen is JJ season 3 and I just don't know if I can be bothered

I genuinely didn't know there was a third season of Jessica Jones.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sandwolf posted:

I also did not know it existed, and I watched S2 of JJ, and reading the synopsis indicates that it really kinda just sounds like S2 again but with adoptive sister drama instead of momma drama.

If we finally got Patsy Walker: Hellcat I might have to give that a look

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Were the Elvira comics any good?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of omnibusii for some reason Amazon just can't understand how they work when it comes to recommendations. Like I read the omnibus of Before the Incal and now my recommendations are full of the various individual trades that the omnibus covers.

A while back Barnes and Noble used to put recommendations on your receipt. I remember when I bought volume 2 of the Strain trilogy, the recommendations were volume 1 of the Strain, volume 3 of the Strain, volume 1 in hardcover, and volume 2 in hardcover.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Alec Robbins, the artist who did the controversial autobiographical comic about being married to Betty Boop, has started a new series.

https://twitter.com/alecrobbins/status/1498342233665421312?t=JWxyV1iQAZGtsYdyTgqYPQ&s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Well that ended anticlimactically

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Jordan7hm posted:

I love that guy's stuff.

Speaking of, this bad boy is coming out through Silver Sprocket in a couple months!

https://store.silversprocket.net/products/mr-boop-by-alec-robbins

Silver Sprocket is quickly becoming one of my favorite publishers (it's them and Floating World Comics I think)

Oh hell yeah, I'm gonna preorder that at my local comic shop. I wonder if they're going to include anything about all the online drama that happened when it was found out he wasn't actually married to Betty Boop. Its a book so they can't include the videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W_d7lyMCiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJkWJdz7H5g

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 24, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I like Heterogenia Linguistico, the series about a linguist working to understand the language of various monster races, but a lot of the lingual stuff goes over my head. I do not know what a declension is

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

that seems unlikely

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Remember Dawn? Dawn used to be everywhere in comics shops. I don't know if there were ever any Dawn comics or anything, but people loved the idea of a really hot chick with red hair and dramatic eye makeup, They should bring Dawn back.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Man, the idea that the Captain Marvel movie is an Air Force commercial is so loving weird. There was cross promotions with the air force so some people, even people who claim to have actually watched the movie, believe the movie itself is pro-Air Force. It's one of those things where people's distaste for the MCU as a cultural behemoth makes it impossible for them to accurately view the movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Opopanax posted:

It's a silly thing to think because there wasn't any "cross promotion". Any movie that uses any military stuff has to have them sign off so that's why the Air Force is credited, but it's not like the movie is about how cool the US Military is. The literal plot is that the militaristic force she's fighting for is actually an imperialistic bunch of invaders and the "bad guys" are just an indigenous population trying to survive. It's not subtle

yeah the cross promotion was all in the advertising. The text of the movie itself in no way promoted the Air Force

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lencho posted:

I can't recall who said it, but there's a famous quote that says that it is impossible to make an anti-war war movie.

Whoever said that had never seen How I Won The War.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

My local comic shop had their annual summer sale today. They didn't have a lot of the stuff I was looking for, but for some reason they had a ton of old sci-fi paperbacks for a buck fifty each.

not bad

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Jordan7hm posted:

This rules

The weird thing is that it's not one of the old fashioned comic stores filled with random stuff the owner has gotten their hands on over the decades, stuff into corners and hidden in stacks. It's a modern clean family friendly comic shop with windows and lights and everything. Annoyingly they don't even stock the hornier comics. So it's baffling that they had a full shelf of 60 year old sci-fi novels in mint condition

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The part in DCeased where Constantine found the bunker where all the billionaires were hiding from the apocalypse and effortlessly sucked up all their souls in Ragman's cape to make himself more powerful because they were all, the the last man, irredeemably evil was pretty good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read Dark Nights Death Metal. I'd read Dark Knights Metal before, so I assume I wouldn't be too out of the loop, but Dark Knights Death Metal begins with the world having been destroyed and recreated by Joker Batman and Wonder Woman running his prison, and has the absolute most barebones flashback to explain how any of that happened.

On a meta level, I like how it says that crises and universe reboots are stupid and the only proper thing to do is make everything canon even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff. That's pretty good. But as a story it's not great. There's a lot of very portentous talk about the future, and hope, and so on, and counter portentous talk about how the future and hope and so on are bad. It turns out Batman has been dead since an event that wasn't shown in the comic which I'm sure would have been mindblowing if I had any idea when that event happened. Joker Batman gets the powers of Dr. Manhattan and then spends the rest of the story doing nothing but chasing The Flash.

Also the back of the book makes a lot of musical references so I assumed it would tie into Superman defeating Darkseid in Final Crisis with a song, but it doesn't.

I'm happy about what it did for the DC universe but it's not a very good comic. Maybe if I had read the events in between Dark Knights Metal and Dark Knights Death Metal it would've worked better.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Well, this certainly explains that part in Doom Patrol

https://twitter.com/ampol_moment/status/1528379738959626240?s=21&t=8oJXspNgwKgo64ZJQV5Jew

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1529070060458885121?s=20&t=wBucXRR6Kf8PRad7GVHBMg

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Men Who Created Gundam got it's much-delayed US release this week. It's the lightly dramatized story of the creation of the original Mobile Suit Gundam series and movie trilogy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/kibblesmith/status/1540800927547809792?s=21&t=WZbUik3TFUhfAlFFM8EhCw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't know if it was actually my first comic book, but the earliest comic I have a clear memory of reading was an issue of Spider-Man where a building is taken over by gremlins, and Dr. Strange, a character I had never heard of before, helps Spider-Man through the magical barrier so he can fight the Gremlins while Strange himself sits on top of the building and astrally projects in to guide him. It was part 1 of 2 but I don't think I ever found the second issue.