Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The thing I liked the most about Ultimate Marvel is that it was a fresh start that initially you didn't have to buy 4 versions of a characters book to get the whole story. I stopped reading Marvel comics due to being broke around 96 and I just couldn't get back into them 5 years later. Ultimate was a great way for me to get back into Marvel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I wanted to thank everyone for the support and positive vibes from the last thread. I had a very rough 4th quarter in 2021 but things have massively turned around. I accepted an offer for a new gig yesterday, not my dream job or anything but a step in the right direction!

Hell yeah! New job new year!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I liked Punisher season 2. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

A friend of mine and one of my best former customers opened a new comic shop here in town on Saturday. It's pretty great, hits all the right notes and he's running with all the ideas he and I used to shoot back and forth when I still worked at the old shop. Swung in for the grand opening and met his crew and business partner. Took less than 10 minutes for them to offer me a job and I've never felt more like I should run away screaming then in that moment.

I declined the offer.

You got out of retail right? When I quit Best Buy I took a massive pay cut and if they'd offered me a 20% increase to stay it wouldn't have been enough (as it stands their response to me leaving after 13 years was "okay, we'll fill your spot"). 10 years later and I'm in such a better position in life.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

There were quite a few different Dawn series. I BRIEFLY got into it because yes, I was a horny young lad. I found them a couple years ago hoping they'd be worth something but NOPE.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

My local has a ton of back issues that are overpriced, a couple walls of new/fairly new releases, and that’s about it. In their old location they used to have more dollar bin type selections but their new space has less room so they appear to have done away with those. It’s 100% comics though, which I appreciate. I would also accept old paperbacks, I love that.

It’s also well lit and clean, which I think is important. I’m willing to dig around in gross stores and impromptu table setups, but I much prefer a store I would be ok with my partner walking into with me.

Many years ago my local comic shop moved and part of their contract was that they couldn't sell any "used" goods, so they stopped carrying back issues entirely. They went full force into Pokemon and Magic and it's a totally different shop. Bright, clean, lots of different customer types.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

X-O posted:

Has anyone here ever gotten a comic CGC graded? After some thinking I really would like to do it with my Hero Initiative copy of JLA/Avengers. I've never even once opened a page on it and it's in pristine condition. I don't want to do it for selling it in the future or anything. I'll never sell it. I'd just like to have it in that CGC verified case. I have one other CGC book but I bought that one already graded. And similarly I don't give a poo poo about the value of it either it's more just for aesthetics.

I've done it, it's expensive (pay for shipping both ways and pay per book). Look on their website and see if there's a drop off location near you to save on shipping.

It took a few months to get them back but I wasn't in a rush.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I would love to go back in time and tell an X-Men and Spider-Man reading young Medullah that Iron Man will be one of the most popular superheroes in the future.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RandolphCarter posted:

Is it worth trying to sell the three boxes of 90s comics I found while digging through my parents storage, or should I just recycle them?

I mean, depends on what the books are. There's a few that are worth a bunch from that time period.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Happy Hippo posted:

This is true. My first comic was What If Spider-Woman, Captain Marvel and Ghost Rider Were Still Evil (or something like that) and it just confused the poo poo out of Lil Happy Hippo

Haha mine was Amazing Spider-Man 358, part 6 of a big team up story with Moon Knight, Punisher and Night Thrasher. This is dead on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Soonmot posted:

it was an x-men comic with rogue fighting zombie ms marvel in the savage land

Uncanny X-Men 269 if my can't remember anything important but can remember comic book covers brain is correct!