Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The second League of Extraordinary Gentleman did put a number of other cute childrens' book animals on the Island of Dr. Moreau. It was a pretty one-note joke and I don't think Winnie the Pooh and Eeyore being there would have inflected it in any interesting ways. Basically it was just like, oh, you think you're think you're safely having sex against a tree? Think again. Beloved teddy bear Rupert is here and this time he's a drooling atrocity splattered with filth and blood.

The LoEG books have their moments, but imo they're generally when Moore has to dig pretty deep and make more esoteric connections. When he can just coast on "what if <x> was a fucken PERV mate" I get bored. Like, him reading the Harry Potter books for filth as reactionary power fantasies was a fun hook to hang something on, but the best he could come up with was Harry Potter ejaculating lightning all over London and Voldemort date raping people at Woodstock. When he can go for the low hanging fruit he too often does.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

If you want to talk about Maus talk about Maus but people on this page need to be a little less knives out at each other, tone it down or take it somewhere else.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Both are good imo, although his Doom book had a very divisive ending (I thought it worked) and his Iron Man has some bits that drag. The United States of Captain America was fun and I think overall his strongest Marvel book just because it dealt with lower stakes-- I feel like with the huge sci-fi stuff sometimes the scale runs him over a little.

Long story short, I think he's fairly new to writing comics and I feel there's almost always an adjustment period working out the kinks in a new medium, but I've liked all of his books and I'm extremely excited to see future projects from him.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

My wife has been going into a big nostalgic Star Wars deep dive and that's led me to the current Marvel comics. I think they're by and large quite good, even as someone who until very recently just never really got too invested in the franchise. I don't ever really see them talked about in BSS though, and there definitely doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread.

Is anybody else reading these? If I whipped up an OP would that be appealing to people or would I just be gabbing on to myself about Dr. Aphra?

Edit: Oh! Never mind! I found the thread hidden way back in June 2021.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 28, 2022

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

site posted:

you should also check out the IDW High Republic Adventures book, if you've gotten to that era

I've read a little bit of the Marvel series, I have not dug into ANY of the IDW stuff just because it's not on the reading order I found. I'll give it a look when I get a chance though, I've been finding the High Republic stuff pretty fun and a neat clean slate. I really like that the Marvel series has two non-binary characters-- still really rare for me to see in mainstream-ish nerd stuff and even though they aren't particularly cool or enthralling characters imo I like seeing that needle budge in terms of just visibility for non-cis folks.

Endless Mike posted:

I'd love to hear your thoughts, but as you've discovered, I think most people (including myself) fell off them after the last relaunch.

There's some good stuff in the early bits, though.

I adored the entire first volume of Dr. Aphra and the first two volumes of Darth Vader, none of the main title really clicked with me until Greg Pak came on. Even Gillen's Star Wars run kind of felt like he was handling the characters too delicately to really say anything interesting. I've really just been blitzing through the three main titles up to the point of ESB and now I'm planning on going back in and reading some of the minis and one shots.

I have already added the Alyssa Wong Dr. Aphra to my pull list just because I could not get enough of the character's whole vibe, but I'm excited for more Pak and Soule stuff in the other main titles (I have no opinion or particular hype about getting to Bounty Hunters).

So far for me the low points were Jason Aaron's entire goofy run, Larocca really not nailing whatever he was trying to do throughout, and a pretty but underwhelming Darth Maul mini I read on a whim last week.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 28, 2022

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

It's a good series from what I've read, perhaps your enjoyment of it could spur you to find out what a declension is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006