Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous

there was no december thread because it was the deadly sin of lurking, so kudos to everyone we did a great job with that sin

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selan dyin

yup, still gay. phew

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Still gay as hell even when I'm seeing men

Bisexuality owns

selan dyin

Cardi BYOB posted:

Still gay as hell even when I'm seeing men

Bisexuality owns

im actually the most gay when im seeing men,,,

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

BALLS DILDO posted:

Wow
WOW
W O W

Powerful being of light

biosterous

BALLS DILDO posted:

:same:

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

more falafel please

forums poster

i'm nonbinary so not only am I gay, everyone attracted to me is also gay

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m just sort of regular gay I reckon

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m gonna spend January being envious of all the boys with boyfriends and also coveting my neighbor’s rear end (he cute and he knows it)

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i am not gay but love all the gays except for the wintergreen gays they know what they did don't try and defend yourselves wintergreen gays how could you

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

more falafel please posted:

This is the way

Percy Teatwillow

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young

lmao it’s true tho

THANK U Heather Papps !!

Gluehead posted:

i met snow at a restaurant once and i was like 'man, informer is a really good song!' and he just looked up from the bowl of french onion soup he was eating, mouthed the words 'gently caress off' and then he gave me the finger twice with boths hands, then crossed the two fingers to make a cross and aimed it at me
Simsmagic

im beautiful

hi folks. im gay. whats up

thank you dumb sex-parrot for the wonderful sig!

more falafel please

forums poster

Simsmagic posted:

hi folks. im gay. whats up

watchin Star Trek, bein gay

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Watching Golden Girls, smoking weed, being hella southern n gay

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Coveting the weed rear end.......

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
Can I be real itt for a sec. I've been interacting with a lot of queer people in their 20s lately and while I'm happy that they seem to have been able to not deal with a lot of the pitfalls and traumas of older generations, they've said a bunch of stuff that disturbs me or just kind of feels unproductive. In particular stuff about how if people ever feel doubt or waver in their queer identities, or wish they'd been straight or cis even for a second, that's an irredeemable stain, which-- feels like its cutting out a lot of people who are going through the poo poo, which in my generation was... almost everyone? Ditto, you know, I'm familiar with anti-assimilationism and I'm sympathetic to it, but it feels like it's only been in recent years that 22 year olds are calling me a fascist for having a wife and wanting a kid.

Maybe this is just how 20-something people are and they need to get it out of their systems and be loud for a few years, but it's burning me out and making me really distance myself from queer spaces. Like for god's sakes haven't we all been Yelled At enough without turning on each other? I'd rather go back to having homophobes just sock me in the face than have to sit in a zoom call listening to some guy with a trust fund earnestly argue that it's reactionary to be ugly.

Edit: Like idk when I was in my 20s I feel like the issue that sucked all the air out of the room was people meticulously trying NOT to be cruel. Which at least felt like a worthwhile end-goal. I don't know where this like, ethos of righteous meanness came from.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 5, 2022

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Same.

Going to tell my wife she's gay and see how it goes

more falafel please

forums poster

that's rough HW. when I was starting to figure out my poo poo I remember there being a lot of sympathy around the uncertainty: everyone I talked to seemed to say that doubting whether you're "really queer" or "queer enough" or "trans enough" or whatever. like one "oh poo poo" moment I had was a tumblr post that said "if you keep wondering whether you're trans or not, just know that cis people generally don't spend much time wondering whether they're cis or not"

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

"if you keep wondering whether you're trans or not, just know that cis people generally don't spend much time wondering whether they're cis or not"

That's because we (cis people) have a whole world already ready to slot into with ease. Seems like trans folks have to almost start from scratch each time for each person in a world that doesn't know what to do with them and maybe that makes for uneasy thinking I don't know maybe just a thought from me a cis white man who has it real comfortable.

more falafel please

forums poster

Bo-Pepper posted:

That's because we (cis people) have a whole world already ready to slot into with ease. Seems like trans folks have to almost start from scratch each time for each person in a world that doesn't know what to do with them and maybe that makes for uneasy thinking I don't know maybe just a thought from me a cis white man who has it real comfortable.

no i think that's kind of right. and to be clear i'm not saying there's anything wrong with feeling comfortable with your birth assigned gender! that's great! i guess i'll still always recommend people examining their relationship with gender, if for no other reason than i think it helps folks figure out more about themselves, but the reality is that the majority of people are gonna say "yup, i'm cis!" and that's cool

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Yeah I don't want to Kool-Aid Man my cis perspective into this but find myself getting sad at what HW was talking about. Communities calcifying around strict identities and rules when the world at large still is a hostile place to trans inquiry. Sounds like a bummer.

How Wonderful!

It sucks because when I teach courses on queer history and queer literature to people that age they're open to ambiguity and picking through the ways in which people at different times did the best they could with what they had in front of them, and everything being part of a process, and when I was that age it felt that way too, very collaborative, with a lot of patience for difference and peoples' experiences not aligning 100%. I don't vibe with absolutism or totalizing at all. It seems like such a waste to take a complex world and try to flatten it into a black and white system.

How Wonderful!

I'm going to really sound like a fuddy duddy now but its like people who grew up with certain iterations of social media are just way too invested in being on the "right side" of something and drawing these very binary "us vs. them" delineations.

When I was in college and grad school part of what queer theory so exciting was that it was this wonderful area of exploring indecision, marginality, and ambivalence. I remember eating up The Queer Art of Failure and How Soon is Now and Queer Phenomenology and finding it very liberating to frame being able to go "hmm, I dunno? I'm not sure yet, let's find out together or just muddle around and let it be" as an interesting methodological and ethical position. Now everybody just wants to smash down their imaginary enemies. If I wanted to see people snipe at each other just for the pleasure of twisting the knife in strangers I'd post everywhere else in SA.

How Wonderful!

I also should be careful not to paint all Gen Z people with the same brush, which is deeply unchill of me. Maybe I've just been consorting with jerks, which like, I shouldn't be surprised that there are queer jerks out there, I went to enough of their house parties in the aughts.

more falafel please

forums poster

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm going to really sound like a fuddy duddy now but its like people who grew up with certain iterations of social media are just way too invested in being on the "right side" of something and drawing these very binary "us vs. them" delineations.

When I was in college and grad school part of what queer theory so exciting was that it was this wonderful area of exploring indecision, marginality, and ambivalence. I remember eating up The Queer Art of Failure and How Soon is Now and Queer Phenomenology and finding it very liberating to frame being able to go "hmm, I dunno? I'm not sure yet, let's find out together or just muddle around and let it be" as an interesting methodological and ethical position. Now everybody just wants to smash down their imaginary enemies. If I wanted to see people snipe at each other just for the pleasure of twisting the knife in strangers I'd post everywhere else in SA.

i will say there was a lot of Discourse in online queer spaces 8-10 years ago (i'm specifically talking about tumblr, but i'm sure it was happening elsewhere too) about "truscum" vs "transtrenders" and poo poo like that and it got very, very, very binary.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Let's celebrate an awesome young queer person in Rose the potter from the Great Pottery Showdown a show in the tradition of the Great British Bake-Off but with clay and Rose is a great presence in it.

Her Website

alexandriao

How Wonderful! posted:

(long post about trashy exclusionists)

Find better 20yros to inyeract with? I'm a in-my-20s queer and i dont think like this. Most of the queers I know in their 20s/30s, including the ones setting up and running local mutual aid groups, take a hard stance against people who are Exclusionist (i.e. people who want to blanket exclude pan-lesbians or questioning folks and stuff, basically what u were talking about). This kinda tumblr-puritanism they express is just more cop bullshit and as we already all know, :acab:

There have been debates about this on twitter and the general gist is the exclusionists seem so virulent that it's probably just much better to ignore them and do general subject debunkings and popularise queer history and it's diversity, rather than engage and drive them further into their weird stinky corner

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 6, 2022

alexandriao

i will say there was a lot of Discourse in online queer spaces 8-10 years ago (i'm specifically talking about tumblr, but i'm sure it was happening elsewhere too) about "truscum" vs "transtrenders" and poo poo like that and it got very, very, very binary.

That feels like a weird way to frame that. The truscum side of things is "You must have a Medical Diagnosis of Gender Dysphoria to be Trans", which is... exclusionist, and approving of the gatekeeping in the medical system to the point that "transtrenders shouldn't be treated", actively harms us all

The reason why it is framed as a binary is because it is. Truscum have their own set of mental poo poo to deal with and their own internalized transphobia to get out of the way, but in the meantime they are doing tangible harm to real life queer folks, muddying the debate on transness, and overall arguing for the status quo (this is actively killing trans people).

Like there is no way to argue for gatekeeping and also for trans liberation except in a milquetoast "both sides are right" way that is effectively arguing for neither. The gatekeeping is part of the current system and is harming people right now, and arguing directly with truscum gets us nowhere, so the choices are unfortunately, shout down the dead weight so we can hope they assimilate later (in the same way we deplatform nazis), or let them gradually get louder and louder, making people feel like poo poo and drop out of the movement, until they are actually being heard by the mainstream and making poo poo worse for everyone

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 6, 2022

Robot Made of Meat

I'm gay and being gay is good.

Robot Made of Meat fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 7, 2022

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

more falafel please

forums poster

alexandriao posted:

That feels like a reductive way to frame it. The truscum side of things is "You must have a Medical Diagnosis of Gender Dysphoria to be Trans", which is... exclusionist, and approving of the gatekeeping in the medical system to the point that "transtrenders shouldn't be treated", actively harms us all

sorry, rereading that i worded it very badly. i meant to position "truscum" and "the people that get called transtrenders" as being opposed to one another but that didn't come through at all.

i just remember there being one camp of "You Must Experience Dysphoria In Exactly The Ways That I Have Deemed Appropriate To Be Trans" (like i remember seeing a post like "if you don't want bottom surgery you're not trans" which is just an awful take) and another camp of "Talking About Your Own Birth Assignment Is Fascist" which is like, ok. also yeah, I'm probably being reductive here, but my point was that I think The Discourse has been going on for a long time and it sucks. part of that is because of Online, generally people are way more nuanced in person.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

How Wonderful! posted:

It's not really about gay things but I listened to this book over the summer (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42041926-the-scout-mindset) and it was a little pop sciency but mostly pretty good and encourages that kind of ambivalent thinking and I think it made me more aware of when I'm defending or attacking XYZ because it goes for/against my already established beliefs instead of looking at the idea on it's merits. It makes the point too that when people talk about things (or worse, argue about things) that touch on their identity, they tend to not be very open to new ideas, and that point has stuck with me, especially since politics is so much more a part of so many people's identity than it was 20 years ago. It makes the point too, that when there is already a foundation of mutual respect and i guess trust, between two people, those kind of discussions about identity can happen in a more productive way I think-I think the assumption of someone's good intentions and that they are arguing in good faith and aren't trying to 'gotcha' you is a big part of that.

ANyway obviously being queer is fairly important to most queer people's identities, and I think that makes it hard to talk about dispassionately, and I think it makes alot of straight people kind of scared to ask about it, which I think is a shame. I know I have had some very good and I think productive conversations with my much more conservative and provincial family because there is that foundation of trust and they know I'm not gonna jump down their throat if they say the wrong word or something. Those conversations have made me think about all the times i did jump down someone's throat for saying the wrong word when they didn't know it was the wrong word and how counterproductive that can be, and how it disrupts that foundation of trust and hardens boundaries and makes it less likely that someone is going to feel comfortable asking about that kind of stuff again, and then they aren't gonna learn any more about it and their views are gonna ossify and they turn into a real grump.

alexandriao

sorry, rereading that i worded it very badly. i meant to position "truscum" and "the people that get called transtrenders" as being opposed to one another but that didn't come through at all.

i just remember there being one camp of "You Must Experience Dysphoria In Exactly The Ways That I Have Deemed Appropriate To Be Trans" (like i remember seeing a post like "if you don't want bottom surgery you're not trans" which is just an awful take) and another camp of "Talking About Your Own Birth Assignment Is Fascist" which is like, ok. also yeah, I'm probably being reductive here, but my point was that I think The Discourse has been going on for a long time and it sucks. part of that is because of Online, generally people are way more nuanced in person.

Oh yeah sorry friend i edited it because i was like "wait oh poo poo that didn't quite get my point across" lol

Both of those are pretty bad takes yeah lmao

I think there's an assumption these days by most... 25? 22+ yros i know that "dear god u gotta mature a bit before making takes", because we're looking at the Weird lovely Bad Takes coming out of Tumblr and doing a :stonklol: at the whole thing

Farecoal

There he go

Oh no it's back and it's out for revenge!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

feelin pretty gay 2day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster

gay