Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Why not drink mocktails? All the fun of a cocktail without any of the booze!

Hell, you can even get alcohol free versions of most spirits these days, so they even taste more or less the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Ive been hearing great things about drinking alone at home. people are raving about how great it is to drink at home alone every day

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Internetjack posted:

Going social; find a favorite bar, pub, wine bar, etc. Maybe a place that has live music. Have a couple drinks, some food and chill with the scene.

Going solo, drinking while poo poo posting, etc is definitely a good route to follow to alcoholism.

i never really got this mentality

i prefer being at home to being in bars because, in most cases, i hate bars. they are crowded and loud. (i go to them anyway to see and play live music but i dont find them relaxing at all). also there's a pandemic going on

so i tend to do my drinking at home. this usually involves like, one drink with dinner. maybe two if i'm watching a movie. that doesn't seem like alcoholism to me?

meanwhile i know plenty of people who do most or all of their drinking in bars or other social situations who are total alcoholics and still get completely wasted all the time. over the course of my life i've seen hundreds of people in social drinking situations that clearly have a very unhealthy relationship with drink, being encouraged to keep drinking by others around them or the atmosphere in general

the only difference between social drinking and solo drinking is that the former is more socially acceptable. it isn't healthier. likewise solo drinking isn't automatically less healthy. its more about knowing your limits and whether you are better off deciding those limits yourself or you need/want some kind of social reinforcement.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 3, 2022

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Whiskey/bourbon sours are worth taking up drinking for.
Also all milk based cream cocktails for dessert are drat delicious.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Bourbon and milk :clint:

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Colonel Cancer posted:

Bourbon and milk :clint:

This bad boy was a hit at my christmas party

1/4 oz Coffee liqueur
1/4 oz Almond liqueur
1/2 oz bourbon (or more)
2 oz 10% cream
4 oz Milk
2 Ice cubes

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Earwicker posted:

meanwhile i know plenty of people who do most or all of their drinking in bars or other social situations who are total alcoholics and still get completely wasted all the time. over the course of my life i've seen hundreds of people in social drinking situations that clearly have a very unhealthy relationship with drink, being encouraged to keep drinking by others around them or the atmosphere in general

the only difference between social drinking and solo drinking is that the former is more socially acceptable. it isn't healthier. likewise solo drinking isn't automatically less healthy. its more about knowing your limits and whether you are better off deciding those limits yourself or you need/want some kind of social reinforcement.

The thing about solo drinking at home is that social disapproval becomes a non-factor. Getting drunk in public and vomiting on someone's shoes and relying on friends to drag you home might draw some negative stigma, and act as a deterrent. Downing an entire bottle of wine at home doesn't, unless you go out of your way to tell people about it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

tripwood posted:

This bad boy was a hit at my christmas party

1/4 oz Coffee liqueur
1/4 oz Almond liqueur
1/2 oz bourbon (or more)
2 oz 10% cream
4 oz Milk
2 Ice cubes

Were you hosting a christmas party for 5 year olds? That poo poo would have less kick than a miller light

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Devils Affricate, you're like school in summertime: drunk as gently caress

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Banana and coffee is a great drink flavor combination if you can get it to work

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Devils Affricate posted:

Were you hosting a christmas party for 5 year olds? That poo poo would have less kick than a miller light

Yeah, that is a lot of dairy per milk ratio, but one is probably fun to have.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

Hell, you can even get alcohol free versions of most spirits these days, so they even taste more or less the same

I've seen these. They often cost more than actual booze and that's just hosed.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I love shochu including ones that people would generally describe as tasting like gasoline but I bought this peat bog tasting sweet potato variety that I couldn't handle and that has basically lasted the entire year for me.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I haven't had a shochu that I've liked, but I've had sake I've liked and sake I've thought was disgusting, and to be honest if I was gonna get into any kind of alcohol for the flavor it'd either be bourbon, japanese whiskey, or sake, just based on my experience with Knob Creek, the one time i had Yamazaki 18 year, and Otokoyama, respectively. I figure shochu probly has specific poo poo like that in it that would stand out if someone was really dedicated to it, but I have never seen it drank in a context outside of highballs, myself.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

I love shochu including ones that people would generally describe as tasting like gasoline but I bought this peat bog tasting sweet potato variety that I couldn't handle and that has basically lasted the entire year for me.

that sounds badass if not exactly good

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

I drank that $5 gekkeikan sake that tasted like an old mans foot every day for like 2 years

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
gotta upgrade to that Ozeki

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
just drink cheap beer OP. i mean the truly cheap poo poo. also exercise and eat well

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
and by exercise i dont mean "shove a bolus of speed in your rectum and hold it in there with a butt plug while you go roller blading"

just jog or do yoga

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

you can do yoga in your home and you dont need special shoes

actually you're not supposed to wear shoes at all

you don't even need the mat

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Zippy the Bummer posted:

just drink cheap beer OP. i mean the truly cheap poo poo. also exercise and eat well

malt liquor mixed with orange juice is aight, if you do a good one it comes out like orangina

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
old english with orange juice sounds like it might be good. especially if both are near frozen

if for some reason you can't go jogging or do yoga, just pace around your abode. if you are wheelchair bound, do eighty point turn arounds in your apartment hall austin powers style. if you are paraplegic, get some of those electrode muscle stimulators and, well i guess have a friend place them all over your body so that your primary muscles are always gently spasming. the wires can be hidden under your clothes. don't worry about the wires

you can also have yourself affixed with a mask for blazing to augment the throat tube that feeds booze right into your stomach. actually you can do that whether you are paraplegic or not i suppose

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Zippy the Bummer posted:

if you are paraplegic, get some of those electrode muscle stimulators and, well i guess have a friend place them all over your body so that your primary muscles are always gently spasming

whoa like even on ur weener??

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

'ur weener' isn't a "muscle"! it is primary tho.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I made the mistake of going to a nice bar with a girl who doesn't drink. That itself wasn't the mistake. But I'm a seasoned drinker (alcoholic) at the time and so looking for drinks the bartender suggested LIITs. I thought nothing of it because hey, a LIIT is a nice starter.

So we're chatting and drinking and after she has like a few mouthfuls I go "uh hey, actually maybe a bad choice of drink, would you like a coke or something instead?" Which she agreed to.

Seeing someone go red after a few sips was sobering (lol) and I'm glad I suggested a mixer to drink instead, because she admitted she would have felt obliged to drink it all, and it was tasty.

Moral of the story, suggest drinks based on other's drinking capability, not your own. Haven't made that mistake again, and glad it worked out okay. We had a good night anyway.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Op - I used to drink a lot and it kicked rear end. Then I ran into some "issues" and stopped drinking. Easily the dumbest thing I've ever done - You should take up drinking OP, especially if you're single.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

syntaxfunction posted:

I made the mistake of going to a nice bar with a girl who doesn't drink. That itself wasn't the mistake. But I'm a seasoned drinker (alcoholic) at the time and so looking for drinks the bartender suggested LIITs. I thought nothing of it because hey, a LIIT is a nice starter.

So we're chatting and drinking and after she has like a few mouthfuls I go "uh hey, actually maybe a bad choice of drink, would you like a coke or something instead?" Which she agreed to.

Seeing someone go red after a few sips was sobering (lol) and I'm glad I suggested a mixer to drink instead, because she admitted she would have felt obliged to drink it all, and it was tasty.

Moral of the story, suggest drinks based on other's drinking capability, not your own. Haven't made that mistake again, and glad it worked out okay. We had a good night anyway.

When my now girlfriend turned 21 back in college (we weren’t dating at the time) I brought her to this bar off campus that was a real poo poo hole but everyone went there on their 21st. The very first thing I ordered for her was a Four Horseman shot. She projectile vomited all over the patio within seconds.

Yes I think that’s exactly why she decided to go out with my dumb rear end later on.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

beer gas canister posted:

I tried during early quarantine but it wasn't doing it for me so I went back to just weed

Same but 15 years instead of a few months

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think I've gotten to the point where I want to buy a cocktail mixing set. Or those big stainless steel cups that you shake things in and a mini-collander or whatever it is called.

No one has suggested a foofy yummy drink, though. Something like a Harlot Ripper or a Krakatoa Survivor. You know the sort. They have things like blue curacao in them and umbrellas. And silly names that elicit happy colors and escapes from reality.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I think I've gotten to the point where I want to buy a cocktail mixing set. Or those big stainless steel cups that you shake things in and a mini-collander or whatever it is called.

No one has suggested a foofy yummy drink, though. Something like a Harlot Ripper or a Krakatoa Survivor. You know the sort. They have things like blue curacao in them and umbrellas. And silly names that elicit happy colors and escapes from reality.

Tequila Sunset
Cosmopolitan
Hurricane
Mai Tai
Brandy Alexander (this is your chocolate choo choo)

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

syntaxfunction posted:

I made the mistake of going to a nice bar
the bartender suggested LIITs.

Your story doesn't check out. No bartender at a nice bar would recommend LIITs.

Wattsamatta
Feb 24, 2008

1) Try a bunch of stuff to find what you like, then roll with that.
2) Don't let anyone shame you for your choice of drink. Even if you drink straight grain alcohol from the jug, some dipshit will call you a pussy. Drink what tastes good and realize that your tastes will change over time. I used to be pretty adverse to whiskey of any kind, but bourbon is now my favorite drink.
3) Sweet, delicious drinks are sweet and delicious. Also, the hangovers will make you want to kill yourself.
4) Just because you drink, doesn't mean you are a drunk. But, keep your poo poo together man.

Have fun.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

My favorite, Corpse Reviver #2
Sidecar
Tijuana Taxi
Ballet Ruse
The Written Word
Scorpion
Hurricane
Zombie
Jet Pilot
Painkiller
Maiden's Prayer
Pink Fetish

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

When I first started drinking spirits I drank Gran Gala, which is a sort of knockoff Grand Marnier. Add a bit of orange zest to balance the extreme sweetness and it's quite good, and the sugar gradually turning your mouth into a swampy slimepit makes a good signal for when you should stop.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Froot Loop

Blue Curacao
Strawberry Syrup
Milk

Tastes like a fruit loop.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Your story doesn't check out. No bartender at a nice bar would recommend LIITs.

They were $21 each.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

syntaxfunction posted:

They were $21 each.

YTA

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Also XO Patron Coffee plus Bailey’s or Rumchata for a coffee shot.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

It's never really been a thing for me. But I think maybe I should start buying some liquor and glasses and things and making a cocktail in the evenings.

What do you say?

Don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

signalnoise posted:

I haven't had a shochu that I've liked, but I've had sake I've liked and sake I've thought was disgusting, and to be honest if I was gonna get into any kind of alcohol for the flavor it'd either be bourbon, japanese whiskey, or sake, just based on my experience with Knob Creek, the one time i had Yamazaki 18 year, and Otokoyama, respectively. I figure shochu probly has specific poo poo like that in it that would stand out if someone was really dedicated to it, but I have never seen it drank in a context outside of highballs, myself.

Yamazaki 12 was my go-to affordable whiskey for a long rear end time because it tasted amazing and it was super cheap, like $20 or less. Then the Chinese market discovered it and I have seen bottles going for $400 at supermarkets, I poo poo you not. The version on shelves now is insanely expensive and no longer even has an age listed. It will be years before supply can meet demand again.