Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

signalnoise posted:

I haven't had a shochu that I've liked, but I've had sake I've liked and sake I've thought was disgusting, and to be honest if I was gonna get into any kind of alcohol for the flavor it'd either be bourbon, japanese whiskey, or sake, just based on my experience with Knob Creek, the one time i had Yamazaki 18 year, and Otokoyama, respectively. I figure shochu probly has specific poo poo like that in it that would stand out if someone was really dedicated to it, but I have never seen it drank in a context outside of highballs, myself.

Yamazaki 12 was my go-to affordable whiskey for a long rear end time because it tasted amazing and it was super cheap, like $20 or less. Then the Chinese market discovered it and I have seen bottles going for $400 at supermarkets, I poo poo you not. The version on shelves now is insanely expensive and no longer even has an age listed. It will be years before supply can meet demand again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Woolie Wool posted:

The one time I had Japanese whiskey, I had Iwai 45 and hated it. Expensive and it tasted like watered-down-cheap bourbon, but smoother. Insipid. The markup on Japanese whiskey is obscene. I am sure there any many much better ones but they're like $50 and up so gently caress it. If I'm spending that much money I might as well go whole hog and buy absinthe.

Currently enjoying a Christian Brothers Sacred Bond brandy. $25 and it's aged for four years in bourbon barrels so it tastes like both cognac and bourbon at the same time. Absolutely delicious for the price point.

Yamazaki was the only one I liked. Hibiki was the one that was supposed to be "the best" but I always thought it tested overly chemical and sharp, with a weird burning at the back of my throat.

I personally would drink Ardbeg and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban over anything else but Yamazaki 12.