Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I bought the revised core set and played the first scenario twice and think I got the authentic experience both times.

Game 1 with the Fed, I finished on my last available action before dying, only succeeding because my first 3 assets were his pistol, a magnifying glass for the investigations, and a beat cop to help fight.

Game 2 with the Librarian, my second bad card drawn was a medium difficulty enemy, and I then drew both of her weaknesses. I was able to evade it twice, but wasn't able to accomplish much before it killed me. I looked through the starter deck and didn't really see the resources to deal with both it and the boss, which is why the book recommends the Fed if you are playing solo.

It was fun, and I look forward to dragging my Marvel Champs friends into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah next time I play solo I'll probably play 2 handed. I'll have to move to a gaming table over my old timey writing desk with my grandfather's lamp, so I'll lose some atmosphere there.

I am curious about something else. When playing on hard mode with the chaos bag heavily tilted against you including -6s and -8s are there good enough cards that the best players can get around that, or are you expected to level up and use higher level cards, or more inquisitors working as a team, or even all of the above?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for the replies. I have a ways to go before I mess with the difficulty but I was wondering how it worked since the bag change seemed pretty brutal per the instructions. We've tried Marvel's higher difficulty settings but prefer just messing with hero-villain combos we haven't tried yet. We'll see if we get into this game as much.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Kalko posted:

[*] Stackham Horror shows stock availability for a bunch of online stores.

Since getting interested in this game a month or so ago, I haven't been able to get this website to load. Is it down or is it just me?

I just finished grabbing the LOTR LCG sagas so I'm set for that franchise for a while, Arkham is next. Anyone have an opinion on Carcosa vs Edge of the Earth as our first main scenario? Carcosa's story looks more interesting to me, but Edge has more recognizable characters. It looks like everything is currently available from my usual haunts (aside from the novellas with the promos).

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

New player report. I played some two player this weekend (my third game overall) and after we wiped I realized I was doing something wrong - taking the damage from the enemies every time they engaged us and not just AoO & normal attacks. I'd won my first solo game even with that because I was playing the detective, had the magnifying glass for clues, and only drew one enemy before the ghoul priest. This time I played Roland again and my friend played the core set mage and we got slaughtered. I re-read the rules and we had a better second game using two of the precon decks: the psychic and Stella. We got the ghoul priest down to 2 hp and on our last turn the psychic ran out of her attack spell and whiffed on two punches and went down in a tide of ghouls. Stella had just drawn the "first action costs 2 actions" treachery so I just ran her out the door.

Now to try my hand at deck building to see if we can do better next time. We picked up Edge of the Earth at our LGS, and I found a store online with all of Carcosa. Those should keep us busy until the Dunwich repackage comes out around here in a month or three.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah we took the retaliate damage when we missed, and knew we'd get hit if we drew cards or gained resources while engaged with anything. Which sucked since we really wanted to dig for spells or attack buffs. But for my first three games I'd misapplied the rule from the Enemy Phase and thought you took their damage when they engaged you at any time, including when you draw them in the Mythos Phase or if you walk into their room during your turn.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Could anyone please PM me with the info about the steam TTS mod for this game, like the one PlayingBoardGames uses in their vids? Google/reddit says its a Fight Club situation because too many people were downloading it without buying any cards.

Dunwich has some staples I need but I'm holding off for the re-release next month. My ordered set of Carcosa has been sitting in a post office a few states away for the last six days. I'd like to do some deckbuilding with their cards without proxying if I can. I'll probably be playing with a group next in person right after the Dunwich investigator set releases. Right now I've got the revised core, a few of the investigator starters, and EOTE.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I read the OP a while ago and thought I would have made note of mention of the TTS mod, I should have looked again before posting. Thanks for the advice, I'll check out ArkhamCards. I've used the *db.com sites to skim prebuilt decks but haven't tried registering and using their deckbuilding tools yet.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

I have trouble building unless the cards are in front of me, so all my cards are sorted in color-coded boxes and then I have a box of deck scraps that constantly needs to be sorted and put away between campaigns.

That's how my friend organizes Marvel. He's got a case which holds every player card and the non-expansion villain cards in color coded ultra pro boxes. We generally netdeck for that game though. Pick a hero and color we want to play, grab a popular deck that looks fun off marvelcdb.com, build it in paper or on TTS, choose a villain we haven't played in a while, then go. I'm sorting my LOTR LCG collection that way as well, I'm going to take a dwarf army through the Saga boxes.

Arkham is the first game that has me wanting to build my own decks and try things out on my own so I'm still debating color coded boxes vs using binders like I used to with MTG. I'll have to try the app yet to see how that goes.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://shop.gamezenter.com/collections/all/products/arkham-horror-lcg-machinations-through-time-arkham-nights-edition

What is the significance of this being the "Arkham Nights" edition? Different art, or what?

The replies to this Reddit post say it's print on demand quality and has the scenario on cards instead of a booklet.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Repackaged Path to Carcosa has been officially announced. I'm hoping I can find the Dunwich investigator box in an LGS this weekend, we're starting our first campaign, Forgotten Age.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Any idea what the deal is with the extra divider tabs in the Return boxes? I've got the ones for carcosa, forgotten age and tcu because I like them for storage and they come with midnight masks, ancient evils, etc tabs each so I have three of those but only one devourer below and no the gathering tabs. I understand ancient evils and chilling cold because those sets get used a lot but why do all of them have midnight masks? Not a huge deal but very weird. I still have RtNoZ and dunwich to get at some point, but I just found it odd.

We started forgotten age this weekend, our first actual campaign with constructed decks. Ursula, Jacqueline, and a surprise Agnes when another friend looked through my binder and decided to join us. I had to build a second mystic deck fast. She was fairly happy with it and the game aside from being bothered that attacks of opportunity didn't exhaust the enemy. She picked the best supplies and the other player and I chose poorly and got wrecked between missions. We did the first two scenarios and had fun. I'm hoping they'll both be down to finish the run next times I visit.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Gotcha. I understood why the mini-sets were in there but was surprised each Return had a tab for Midnight Masks is all. Would have made sense to have all three of them, or put one in each Return.

Hallowed Mirror 0 was useful so the upgrade is on my list, and I also want to upgrade into Charisma next to run both Dr Elli and Dr Milan. I haven't gotten to try Jake yet. Our group has a love of allies from Marvel Champions and if we make it to another campaign I'll probably give one of them a sled dog deck which is looking fun in Team Covenant's current EotE run on youtube.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Arent there also rules for starting with a deck with experience cards? You just have to add more weaknesses or something? Or is that just for stand alone scenarios and not campaigns?

I remember seeing people say they stop at 9, 19 or 29 xp since hitting the multiples of 10 hits you with another penalty.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Jaded arkham lcg veterans going back into NOTZ act 3 with the cyclopean hammer and a few other broken cards:
(audio's probably nsfw, I've got the sound off here and the title says uncensored)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wsjroVlu8

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I just got some generic ones off of amazon. Check the reviews, a lot of them will have pictures of people using them with AH tokens if they're good for that.

edit: I got 25mm sized ones

Same here. Occasionally one will fall open in the bag but it's an easy fix and they are great otherwise.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I've been watching Team Covenant play and they sometimes do a free swap of some of their level 0 cards that aren't working out after mission 1 only before settling into the normal deck upgrade rules.

I ran my friends through the tutorial mission Saturday with some prebuilt decks that were pretty terrible, though also our card draw timing also sucked. They both had a couple double or nothing cards in their hands, and my Rex had a pair of the "+??? if there's a clue in your location" while I was stuck in the empty hallway cursed and swarmed by monsters. It was a good time. Afterwards we took some arkhamdb decks that were more in line with what we expected, tweaked them a bit, then spent our xp on leveled up cards. I hated my time with Rex so much I'm thinking about coming in with someone else instead but there's only two more missions in NOTZ so I will stick with him. Pulling two tentacles on turn 1 followed by his curse weakness in the draw phase, then the double token pulls from the curse spawning ghoul after ghoul on me was rough RNG even for Arkham. My friends enjoyed their characters though and I'm hoping they like the game enough that we start a full campaign next. It has to compete with Spirit Island, Journeys in Middle Earth (2 campaigns to go), and a handful of competitive games when we get more people to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I think team covenant has done everything but scarlet keys and go over their builds and plans a lot. They are very long videos though especially if you watch the deckbuilding and setup and opening banter.

I didn't like playingboardgames as much though they know what they are doing more and have better builds for a wider range of characters and have a lot of tier lists and strategy or discussion videos. I found it harder to get into their games when I knew less about the game but I think I'd appreciate them more now having played a few times myself and watched about 2/3 of team covenant's stuff.

Rob's Gaming Table also has a few solo and with his wife but I haven't watched those yet, just some of his Frosthaven and other vids.