Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I keep forgetting just whose house it was we burned down. Didn't we flip for it over the ashes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

I haven't played Legendary, but it sounds like they deal with player balance by having each player effectively get 1/N of the turns? Arkham isn't like that at all; instead each player gets all of the turns, and there is N times as much stuff to do in each scenario - the bad things you have to deal with, and the goals you have to accomplish, scale with player count. It plays well with 2 to 4 players/investigators. There are ways that smaller groups have an advantage*, but there is also value to be gained from a larger group with more diverse decks. (I wouldn't recommend 1 player just because of the high variance; if you want to play solo, play 2 investigators simultaneously.)

*gently caress Ancient Evils

Our group figures we paid our dues to Ancient Evils in Dunwich Legacy. On our blind run through Carcosa, I'm subbing in the Delusional Evils from Return to... Those give some agency and honestly feel like we just nuked a Tentacles token pull.
Unspeakable Oath is next. I'm gonna laugh my fool head off if my gaming buddy pushes his luck too far in this one, which I've heard might be a risk. He's so full of Conviction!

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Is there such a thing as a storage box completely size-matched with the Return To boxes?
There are enough official standalone scenarios and of course fan-created sets to fill one or more. I'd like to be able to store it all together nicely.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Maybe there's a need for 'Reinforcement Pack' encounter sets that are frequently used / leveraged between campaigns. And hard use / wearing out / eaten by a grue casualties during play.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Where in the world is Cthulhu San Diego

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Our crew got through Carcosa in the end. We're in no condition to take on even standalones so it's on to The Forgotten Age with three brand new investigators.

Our Guardian is switching from Nathaniel Cho back to his favorite role, clue hunting. He's taking Harvey Walters into the jungle...
I had Jacqueline Fine and loads of fun with Clairvoyance and Azure Flame. But Harvey is Fight 1 and I'm going to need to be flexible and fast to keep Harvey alive. Any suggestions here?
We have a third player who shows up about half the time, and I pilot his investigator to give our crew some extra zing. It was Ashcan for Carcosa and can be anyone fun for the jungle...

I have all cards available except for the Promotional and Parallel sets.
Has anyone tried Against the Wendigo or Consternation on the Constellation?
Alice in Wonderland? If not that then I'll see if I can get Dark Matter instead.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

I had great fun bringing father Mateo, Stella and Winnie through TFA. Mind blank was the order of the day: it can start circuit a major trouble the campaign gives you.

This is a campaign about dodging and avoiding enemies for the most part, so things like Luke Barricades, warning shot and the rogue card that lets you avoid a spawning enemy are great.

Calvin also loves this campaign. Carolyn hates it, there’s not a lot of mental damage.

Finn, Monterey, Ursula, all great picks.

Calvin sounds like a wild change of pace for our third wheel.
Winifred and Calvin and Harvey. What could possibly go wrong?

Harvey's going to have to be the brains of the outfit and deal with that campaign trouble. I'm gonna ride bikes with Calvin and Winnie.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Any instances of Return to Forgotten Age that should be rolled into our first run of TFA?

I'm planning on using the original, trauma-tastic supplies rules.
There's an explore mechanic fix that might as well be official errata.
Ancient Evils alternative?
Any pure BS scenario antics that are so un-fun as to be spoiled and avoided?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Just wanna post that our three investigator team went Into the Wilds. We used the Return to TFA setup and the unmodified supply rules.

4 of the 7 different supply items we brought got used. One in particular helped us explore efficiently and that kept us out of doom trouble.

We got a nice chunk of VP and none at all of the other thing to count.

Calvin question : I started him with 2 physical trauma. He picked up 1 choice which I'll call a mental trauma. I can let him collect one more physical trauma, but is 3 of 6 health trauma too much for him running into scenario 2?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Out of the Void investigator pack is in stock at Gamezenter again.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

And then comes <Arrows from the Trees>...

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Are the Return to box dimensions a standard match to anything? I was willing to standardize storage on something decorated like cool card catalogs. But... indefinite maybe on Dream Eaters+ is not something I can plan on.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Or ask for a comedy option. Seriously.

Blind run of The Forgotten Age, using full Return To rules. Calvin has been awesome. Spice it up with In the Thick of It and you'll be the crazed maniac who can also rip clues out of the very walls.
(&Walter &Winifred = our team)

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Nebrilos posted:

Wow, hidden pockets really are illegal, huh?

Well, what has it got in its pockets then, precious?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I was lucky enough to pick up Jacqueline's deck for our blind Carcosa run. Can confirm had a great time.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Nebrilos posted:

You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find pennies these days.

I traded a baggie of bicentennial quarters to my mother in law in exchange for a couple rolls of pennies. She's set for laundry, and our group has tokens.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

It's a killer deal just for the shared encounter card sets and more Unexpected Courage and Emergency Cache and Machete and...

And cardboard tokens if you haven't blinged or switched to colored d6

Xlorp fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 1, 2023

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Strange Solution perhaps?

Oops. Didn't see the hand slot requirement

Xlorp fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 27, 2023

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

Yes, but what can Lola recharge with it?
On the one hand Strange Solution (Unidentified)
On the other hand First Aid (3)
neither exhaust, so not so much good for Science!

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Her gimmick never found stride. Maybe redefine it.
Say she can't have more than one card of any color represented at a time in play. Nor play more than one of each color per round. Cherry pick the same deck staples and you have a boring actress. Go for funky synergies and you have created a versatile actress.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

We can only hope there are enough cards for a full parlay deck, and a path to bullshit your way though an entire campaign.

Hastur, Bubbe, I'm your white knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

What else could they add? Incense? Epaulettes? Butt plugs?

Chakras, corruption tracks, biorhythms, Lord of the Rings crossovers...