Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Hello thread! My wife and I picked up the revised box set a couple of weeks ago and have played through the first scenario. We liked the game enough that I went out and bought the five investigator packs and I'll probably wait for the first scenario re-release in March before I pick that up. What are your favorite storage options, dividers, and sleeves to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Were the FFG ones slightly smaller? I bought a ton of the Matte Gamegenic ones (Color Code: Gray), and while I'm happy with the overall look and feel of the sleeves themselves, I'm not quite as jazzed about how loose the cards are in the sleeves.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Any idea why the Dunwich Legacy Deluxe specifications say Maximum of 4 players, but the upcoming re-release and its associated investigator expansion both say Maximum of 2? Maybe a typo since the EotE specs say Maximum of 4 players as well?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Kalko posted:

Gamezenter is selling packs for the parallel investigators (no Wendy yet) here:

https://shop.gamezenter.com/collections/arkham-horror-lcg-parallel-investigators

This place used to be owned by FFG or something, and they still do all of FFG's POD stuff so the cards should be the same quality as the Gencon packs. No shipping outside the US but they may show up elsewhere in future if they're popular enough.

Also, unrelated, but if you're like me and you simply must sleeve every single thing that can be sleeved, I recently discovered these sleeves are a perfect fit for the Return To divider cards.

I believe someone in the Facebook group also said the Mythos Busters Discord has a MakePlayingCards.com file listed in one of the channels if you want to get the Parallel Investigators printed out yourself (because you don't want to wait for Gamezenter to add Wendy). It's a nice alternative for those outside the US.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

take three tablets posted:

I haven’t seen anyone mention this but they also did a POD quality run of Curse of the Rougarou and Carnevale of Horrors. Noteworthy if you don’t have them; they’re out of print and getting a little pricy. I got mine in yesterday and the quality seems good. I haven’t compared them directly to normal cards yet.

Where'd you order them from?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Let us know when you do compare them to normal cards (thickness and print quality). I might be inclined to pick them up just to have as well.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

take three tablets posted:

As far as size and card stock, they are basically identical, and I took a couple really quick comparison photos for print quality.

The font isn't the same but I don't have the original scenario packs to compare to. The bottom edge copyright stuff seems to get a little bit cut off on some of the cards but it's not consistent across them. I'm definitely happy with them.

These are shuffled up, cards #2 and #8 are from Dunwich, the others are Rougarou. It's actually a lot easier to tell in the photo than it is in real life.

The last two are "real" cards.

Awesome. I wanna pick up some of these mats: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/862781564/player-mat-for-arkham-horror-lcg-arkham

But now those PoD will be on my "Want List" as well.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://shop.gamezenter.com/collections/all/products/arkham-horror-lcg-machinations-through-time-arkham-nights-edition

What is the significance of this being the "Arkham Nights" edition? Different art, or what?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Ordered the Curse of the Rugarou and Carneval of Horrors standalone scenarios as well as the novella cards from Gamezenter. Also put in an order on MPC with:

- The 5 parallel investigator challenge scenarios
- Parallel investigators with revised core art
- 4 Advanced signatures with revised core art
- Mix & match OG & parallel fronts and backs
- Full art ("Play-and-Share promo) investigators

And in the future I'm planning on placing an order for:

- June 2021 Taboo cards
- 2020 AN Council beta cards (Flashlight (3), Guard Dog (2)).

I'll post pictures of the MPC order side-by-side with regular game cards as well as the Gamezenter PoD stuff once everything gets here.

E:

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 7, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

This is US only right? Cus you got me salivating.

Is what US only? The Gamezenter stuff? I believe they ship US only. From what I've seen on the Discord channel, some people use forwarding services where you ship the stuff to some intermediary and they ship it out worldwide for you.

If you mean the MPC order, I believe they ship globally.

Gamezenter print on demand on the left, regular FFG on the right (images aren't mine).

Gamezenter print on demand on the left, regular FFG on the right (images aren't mine).

MPC on the left, regular FFG on the right (images aren't mine)

MPC on the left, regular FFG on the right (images aren't mine)

The print on demand stuff from Gamezenter was apparently about a millimeter wider than the regular stuff and the MPC stuff is printed on Magic: the Gathering sized cards, which makes them about two millimeters wider.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://imgur.com/a/gpm620L

Not mine, but some size/color comparisons between the real deal and cards ordered from MPC.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

So I've felt that with deck builders like Legendary, where there's some scheme that you're trying to race while everyone is trying to get their decks sorted, the fewer the players the better. Two players that have had two turns a piece will have better decks than four players that have only had one, and a easier time dealing with the baddies.

Is Arkham similar in that regard? Do fewer players/investigators have an easier time since they can get their boards set up more quickly, or does the flow of the game balance out better with the number of players/investigators?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

My MPC order of a bunch of the print-and-play stuff came in today, so I took some pictures of them to compare with the regular print stuff as well as the print-on-demand stuff from Gamezenter: https://imgur.com/a/8awok4B

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 24, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Is there a list somewhere that details how many cards, across all content, need clear sleeves and how many can use sleeves with opaque backs (player cards, for example)?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So dunwich expansion is the one to get if you're just starting out, according to the reddit?

Does anyone have any suggestions for dividers (that can fit in the Revised Core set I already own) or playmats?

These playmats look sweet:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/862781564/player-mat-for-arkham-horror-lcg-arkham

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/981576337/table-mat-for-arkham-horror-lcg

I think the shipping to the US was reasonable the last time I checked.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

How does Stella Clark compare to a lot of the other Survivors? I like the look of her gimmick and hope she's not overshadowed by someone mechanically similar but entirely better.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Any of the Parallel/Novella investigators any good?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Sleeved up the revised core set, five investigator decks, and the print-on-demand Carnevale of Horrors, Curse of the Rougarou, and novella investigators. Player cards in "Petrol", campaign cards in "Jet". Unfortunately, I no longer have room for the chaos token bag and the other tokens.

E:

Anyone got any cool deck lists for when you've got a limited amount of content? I've got Revised Core, the five investigator packs, and have purchased the newly released (released?) Dunwich Investigator Expansion and ArkhamDB is coming up a little dry on decklists with that small of a card pool.

E2:

Looks like it was an issue with giving the website an empty query. Searching by investigator name brings up several decks.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 9, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jimmeeee posted:

I've been thinking of picking this game up. How easy is it to put together "pickup and play" decks for each character with just the core set + Dunwich expansions? Are the cards limited so that you'd need to be constantly swapping specific cards between packs?

I'm also not super interested in the character progression aspect of it. Is it possible to put together a deck for a character and play through a whole campaign without changing the cards? Or do the scenarios get progressively harder so you'll be getting your rear end kicked by the end?

Basically, I'm wondering how close you can get to the Marvel Champions method of deckbuilding for this game.

Thanks!

Funny you should ask that. I literally just built and played with these:

https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/6942/roland-turn-2-cores-into-a-5-character-pick-up-and-play-se-1.0
https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/6938/skids-turn-2-cores-into-a-5-character-pick-up-and-play-set-1.0
https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/6940/agnes-turn-2-cores-into-a-5-character-pick-up-and-play-set-1.0
https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/6941/daisy-turn-2-cores-into-a-5-character-pick-up-and-play-set-1.0
https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/6939/wendy-turn-2-cores-into-a-5-character-pick-up-and-play-set-1.0

The user "StartWithTheName" is apparently pretty popular, and he made some pick-up-and-play decks for the five investigators in the core set. You don't even have to worry about having to swap any cards around like the deck primer says, because the revised core set brings enough copies of every card to build all five.

E:

I do believe the scenarios are put together in such a way that the game expects you to have improved your deck as you go along.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

A little foolish that the deluxe campaign scenario books don’t fit into the Return To boxes.

I wanna get these printed out: https://github.com/Antimarkovnikov/AHC_CYOA/wiki They look cool as poo poo.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Just got the dunwich legacy campaign/investigator expansions

On one hand, great, I love not having to fight with needing storage. On the other hand, what am I supposed to do with all this storage, especially if I buy the other expansions too later? (carcosa/circle undone/dream-eaters/insmouth/EotE, each with their own equally large box?)

Is this more space than is needed to shove the return to... Expansions in so you have the content together for each cycle type?

If anything, this would end up making me buy a custom box (or make one) instead, especially so I don't waste so much limited shelf space

I went through all that space with the cards from the core set, Dunwich, 5 investigator decks, and two stand-alone scenarios because I sleeved it all up. Probably more space than you really need if you're not going to sleeve the cards.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I generally do sleeve my cards, but what I'm trying to say is I have the core set (revised, so 2? core sets) and now the dunwich expansions + investigators. I can see myself currently filling up the Revised Core box and that leaves me with an empty storage box.

If I get any other expansions, the same issue will happen. I'm kind of torn because it's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation I think

edit: Are the investigator starter decks worth it? Seems like they give you characters that aren't in any current cycle?

edit2: Jim Culver from Dunwich looks really great

I think, fully sleeved, you'll use up a lot of your storage space like I have, specially if you purchase the extra investigators and any stand-alone scenarios. I wanna say there's enough cards per expansion to fill at least 3/4 of the storage when sleeved, so maybe we end up with a fully empty box in a year or two, but not every time.

I've seen a lot of people recommend the five investigator decks, so I went ahead and picked them up. Haven't played with them yet, though.

E:

I can see myself picking up a custom storage solution down the line where I can store everything in one large box.

E2:

Missed that you also had a Revised box to mess around with.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 20, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

If you’re playing with Agnes, remember her ability triggers when you put sanity harm on yourself, not cards you control.

Can you split the damage? Like if you're gonna take 2 sanity harm, can you assign one to Agnes and the other to an ally?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

What are some good coin capsules to use?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

They’re not capsules, and cost a little more, but these are on my list to eventually get. They’re a shortcut that turns pennies into weighty, glossy tokens.

https://burgertokens.com/products/arkham-horror-lcg-chaos-tokens

I've seen these posted on the Discord. I'd be afraid of not doing a good job in centering the burgs on the pennies.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

jeeves posted:

Go for the gold and just buy the nice OnFireGuy capsules with the little foam inserts around the center.

Then buy the Aurbits tokens that fit perfectly in them.

Go! Spend way too much on a game you barely have time to play. Oops, that's me.

I bought 20 boxes of Dragon Shields and 700 clear Gamegenic sleeves. I'm no stranger to spending money on games I don't play regularly!

I went with these cheapo capsules to start:

quote:

25 mm Coin Holder Capsules Clear Round Plastic Coin Container Case for Coin Collection Supplies (100) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQFPK3L/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_HY0S0G8W6D02XGEGW1RE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I figure I can get fancy with them later on.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

Nyarlathotep is neutral? I thought he was the most evil. Also the most in tune with humanity to where he could tempt people with super powers in order to do his bidding, so I'm not ruling him out.

It's Meowlathotep that's evil.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://github.com/Antimarkovnikov/AHC_CYOA/wiki/Bookshelf

Ordered Night of the Zealot and The Dunwich Legacy to be printed through Barnes and Noble and they're getting here tomorrow! Let's see what these bad boys look like.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jimmeeee posted:

Are these fan-made CYOA books based on each campaign? That is extremely tempting…

Yeah, the campaign booklets condensed into a single PDF in CYOA format. Figured it'd be better than the flimsier ones that come with the boxes.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

They're here!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jaqueline Fine

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Maybe Keen was asking if they still had time to play the card since defeating the priest should trigger the resolution.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Are you suggesting to spend less on candles?

Only if your family is dying.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

Wait wait wait, you keep all the baggage and leveling up and stuff between campaigns? I thought you reset when you started a new campaign. (Sorry, new to the game.)

No, no, you're right. You're meant to reset between campaigns.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Hesitated to just grab this earlier and now it's not showing up as on sale.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Grab Grisly Totem (3) and do whatever you want. Grab Ancient Stones if you want to go nuts.

But then you'll accrue mental trauma after every scenario!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

My wife, a friend of ours, and I are trying to get back into the game after not having played for a long time. I asked them what Investigators looked interesting to them, and I got the following responses:

Wife - Vincent Lee, Amina Zidane
Friend - Akachi Onyele, Father Mateo

I thought it would probably not be a good idea to double up on the same class, so I'll be building decks for Akachi and Vincent. Since I am terrible at evaluating cards and haven't played in a long time (or really very much at all), I've decided to hit up good ol' Arkham DB for some help with the deck lists. I have a few questions for the thread: 1) Is the Akachi list linked below well put together? 2) What should I look for in a Vincent Lee deck? (These are the decks that show up with the packs in my collection.) 3) What investigator might complement these two? I really like Stella, but I'm not confident I'd be able to pilot her well.

Akachi Onyele
Stella Clark

Packs available: Revised Core, all Investigator Expansions released in the new format, the five standalone investigator decks, all book cards with the exception of To Fight the Black Wind, and five parallel investigators (Read or Die, All or Nothing, Bad Blood, By the Book, and Red Tide Rising).

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I was looking at this Vincent list, though the singular comment on it mentions that the deck leans a little too hard on recurring On the Mend and not enough on gathering clues. Any suggestions for modifying it to do so? I imagine I would have to make some cuts to fit in at least Deduction (like the comment suggested) and Archaic Glyphs/Hallowed Mirror. For Stella, since we're not using the Taboo list, should I cut something for Drawing Thin?

E:

Might go with this Stella deck and replace Scrounge for Supplies, since I don't have it, with something else.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 20, 2023

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Looked into Finn since a few of you mentioned him. I like this list but I don't have access to Easy Mark or Faustian Bargain. Are there any cards that could work as stand-ins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Rythian posted:

Well, they're resource cards, so Emergency Cache always works as a replacement, if not quite as good.

Maybe Burglary, Burning the Midnight Oil, Crack the Case.

LifeLynx posted:

Do you have "Watch This!" and Kicking the Hornet's Nest? That last one is very good for Finn. Free clue and resources and he's good at evading that enemy. It's hard to beat Faustian Bargain, but you can pick up Hot Streak early.

Awesome possum. Thank you for the suggestions! I do have access to both Watch This! and Kicking the Hornet's Nest, and both Burglary and Burning the Midnight Oil seem neat.