Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
In terms of difficulty the difference between easy and standard is probably the smallest, and primarily easy is there to get you familiar with the game and compensate having a shallow card pool.

The difference between standard and hard comes primarily from using the other side of the scenario card. Yes the chaos bag gets a bit worse, and often the sweet spot for how much to be up on tests shifts up one (often 3 over rather than 2 over), but if you are running efficient decks and have some experience with the game you'll manage. So the difficulty jump really depends on the scenario, as the design for the special tokens on hard vs normal can vary quite a bit. Recommended once you get good at the game, especially if you tend to play in bigger groups.

The difference between hard and expert is all chaos bag and also it's the biggest difference in chaos bag between any 2 difficulties. Effectively you're just playing most tests as if there are at least 3 autofail tokens in the bag, sometimes more. If you're very good at the game and want to play the best investigators that otherwise make the game too easy, especially in a big group, then this might be the balancing factor you need. Still going to be a lot of variance though. Or it can be an interesting deck design challenge to try to specifically make decks that can still pull off consistency on this difficulty, going big on doing things without tests.

My personal problem with the latter is that once you've kinda solved that puzzle you're also playing what are likely just the most consistently succesful decks in the game, and unfortunately that only leaves you with a rather small subset of the total investigator- and cardpool as viable to even try out. More fun to figure out how to make other poo poo good enough than fully optimizing in this particular game imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I don't remember Curse of the Rougarou doing a lot of killing. Lots and lots of walking and a chance of being cursed in a bad way though.

My problem with the side scenario's is that they narratively just don't fit into the campaigns at all.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Kalko posted:

Edge of the Earth : It was all a mirage...

The Dream-Eaters : It was all a dream...

I got nothing for the others.

Carcosa could be all a dream also.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

That's certainly one way to make the game a lot harder. I'm actually really impressed you managed to win even a single scenario like that, even with the low enemy draw.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wendy's strength is that she has no dead draws.

Her weakness is that her statline doesn't let her do anything except not get hurt by treacheries very well.

So make her a deck that lets her do stuff. Her combat of 1 means she's just never going to be able to use that stat for anything useful, imo. She also really likes events. So give her things that let her investigate more, and deal with enemies through her evade stat. That can include getting rid of them permanently through cards like Waylay or Backstab. So things like Lockpicks, Old Keyring, Mariner's Compass, Flashlight, Pilfer and Look What I Found (not all of them obviously).

Then add economy and general support cards to fill out the deck. Cards like Perception, Manual Dexterity, Resourceful, Take Heart, Lucky, Live and Learn and A Test of Will. Maybe Madame Labranche.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

This is US only right? Cus you got me salivating.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Yeah I meant the Gamezenter stuff. Sounds like I'm going to have to look into that, thanks for sharing.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Last time my group ran Carolyn she did real well and the player had a lot of fun. It was in a 4 player group where she was the secondary cluever (at times outperforming the seeker if the seeker had a lovely mulligan and took a while to set up though) and Skids was the secondary fighter (using the bow and Venturer for reloads) who could also grab some clues (lockpicks & some rogue events mainly). 4th player was Mark as primary fighter going for the sniper build with the Springfield (before the errata to make that easier/better). All in all the other decks were a bit on the expensive side and low on sanity so really appreciated Carolyn helping them out.

Pretty sure the list was close to this:
https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/19724/carolyn-big-ma-am-on-campus-hard-mode-1.0

This was before Edge of Earth was released and before we had most of the Innsmouth cycle, so good chance you can optimize the deck. Also someone else was using Mr Rook so Carolyn ran Alice Luxley instead and that worked real well. We also cut the Painkillers for I think Scene of the Crime or something like that and she teched into Protective Incantation to use all that free cash to gently caress up the chaos bag later on. This was in a RtTFA campaign.

Pretty sure she wasn't running Self-Sacrifice either but not sure what we went with instead. Good other cards to consider are Crack the Case, Deny Existence, Logical Reasoning, Eureka and Safeguard (probably pick either this or Pathfinder rather than both).

Cool Carolyn tricks are:
1. Shrewd Analysis + Ancient Stone. Carolyn's only got 1 legal target for the upgraded Ancient Stone (and it's also the one you want!) so this just means you can upgrade into both cards for 5 XP total rather than 8.
2. Stick to the Plan + 1 copy of Astounding Revelation. SttP searches your whole deck, so you always find the AR, which means you get to start every game with 7 resources and a card less in your deck before you draw opening hand and mulligan. Combined with Ever Vigilant and 5 or 6 static Intellect boosters in the deck, you can almost always get fully set up and operational on turn 1. Everyone at the table noticed just how fast this deck was ready to go and grabbing clues every single scenario.
3. Solemn Vow + Peter & Ancient Stone(4) on it's own: get them horror heals and free money triggers without spending actions so you can spend actions on investigating.
4. Carolyn really doesn't mind a mental trauma or even two, it just means her elder sign ability is online from turn 1 action 1 onwards. This means in RtTFA she can spend all the XP she got in Threads of Fate to make sure the party is outfitted with all the poo poo you need rather than having to pay the hospital. Also works if at least 1 high sanity other investigator is in the group; just turns on the Solemn Vows faster.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 14, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Yeah Dunwich was the first campaign and it shows its age now.

To the credit of the designers, they have learned. Similar to how before Forgotten Age agility was just such an obviously less important stat. And then they did that again in Circle Undone. At least recently there's a good mixing in of agility testing treachery cards. This in turn makes willpower less important, which is good.

The game can get real miserable when a core scenario mechanic is all about one stat. Even if that stst is intellect, as Dunwich also proves.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 20, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

Generally, solo people should be able to fight and clue, which points towards Joe Diamond & Roland. I’ve had fun with Rita & Sefina. Ashcan is another good one.

Roland is a dodgy solo recommend for 3 reasons:

1. 5 sanity is really not a lot
2. his weakness is brutal, especially because 5 sanity is not a lot
3. guardian cards continue to be very fair, whereas you really want to include some broken poo poo into your deck when playing solo

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

Man, Ariadne's Twine and Pnakotic Manuscripts is fuckin broken.

More broken than Eon Chart?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Eh, costs actions to use Pnakotic Manuscripts though, unless you're using it just for encounter card protection. Maybe I'm undervalueing it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Doesn't part 1 of the first scenario only have the one big enemy?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Yeah Jim is just not great at anything to the point where he is the worst Mystic and just a very poor investigator in general. He's got the Dunwich flexible deckbuilding going for him and that's about it. More then his cards I think the problem is his statline.

Mystics *really* want 5 willpower and the ones that don't are automatically suspect.

Marie makes up for it by having 4 intellect which is actually useful for something plus getting extra actions.
Luke makes up for it with great movement/enemy management that you get to start the game with.
Lily makes up for it by actually being a Guardian using combat instead.
Diana makes up for it by secretly actually having high willpower.
Father Mateo tries to make up for it by starting with XP and having an insane elder sign ability. Probably not worth it though.
Jim tries to make up for it by having flexible deckbuilding and having mediocre intellect and combat and manipulating the chaos bag to have an average to above average chance at success at every test even when you are not much over the test. But that means you're still basically flipping a coin which can cost you a lot of actions and possibly charges etc. It's just not good.

Maybe if you play him in a group that goes deep on the chaos bag manipulation? Maybe?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Definitely recommend picking up Dunwich in the new release format next. After that probably Edge of the Earth since it is in the new release format.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It is not possible to have The House Always Wins and a core set and not have all the other required encounter cards if you bought from an official FFG release.

With all respect but it sounds like you are thoroughly confused about what you are meant to do to play the game. I recommend reading the manual.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

For real though, use coin capsules.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Evasion matters.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Kalko posted:

I do like the narrative flavour of his deckbuilding rules where if you pick Rogue you have a politician who consorts with a bunch of shady characters (true to life) or if you pick Mystic you have one that hangs out with sorcerors and other purveyors of the dark arts (probably also true to life, tbh).

I can’t really see why you’d ever pick Mystic for him tbh.

Rogue to get the money to play all the allies and seeker to get card draw to draw them plus the money and then also some general good stuff seems most likely. Maybe survivor because you’d get access to almost their entire cardpool and can get some value out of failing with your initially low stats. But guardian and mystic seem very meh.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

Mystic might be good for all the cancels, because you were not surviving the encounter phase with your stats. But more and more classes are getting those.

You get all the allies, so things like double readying a certain doom mage could be fun.

Allies are ablative armour.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I got 3 big cases and 1 small case where I keep all my cards in. All sleeved up.

Investigator card are sorted by colour, then level. The level 0 cards are further sorted into assets, events and skills. Multi-class cards are sorted by level only.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Kalko posted:

<Kalko campaign posts>

I'm just going to write down my reactions as they happen while I'm reading your posts. Firstly again mentioning that I appreciate the effort you're continuing to put in on these and I always enjoy reading your campaign posts.

First post

My first surprise is you rating Kensler so highly. So far I've had her as probably the 3rd best partner ally, so curious to see your reasoning. I get your plan to ensure keeping her alive though, and think it's the only way to even try to go for the best ending after having tried to rely on luck of the draw and failing twice :(
I'm especially surrpised that you'd put Kensler in the cluever deck as this seems redundant. Whenever we've taken Kensler it was always a fighter taking her to be able to do something useful on a no-enemies turn.

Ursula's deck looks very reasonable. I question Truth from Fiction, as on Eon Chart it only nets you 1 action for a card and 2 resources but maybe I'm really missing something on Kensler and the plan is to use her even more here? Not a big fan of lvl 0 Backpack, especially with only 5 targets (counting the other backpack). Also generally not a fan of Hyperawareness types of cards, but I get why you're starting with it in this campaign and your deck does have a lot more economy than it needs otherwise. My first instinct is to cut all those cards plus some economy (probably Midnight Oil) and replace with Drawing Sketches, Practice Makes Perfect and Plan of Action. Did you try anything like that in your testing and if yes, why did your version work better?

Lily's deck. Aha, I see you are going all in on loving over Ancient Evils. Interesting. Makes me wonder though if, in 2 players at least, the amount of resources (deck slots, scrying actions, taking Ursula over maybe someone else etc) spent on achieving this is worth the up-to-18-actions (and really 9 Seeker actions that progress you to winning the game) it gets you. Versus putting in more acceleration and just powering through as fast as possible. Having said that, next time I run this campaign 3 or 4 player I will definitely be stealing what you are doing here because holy poo poo this is lowkey genius and unquestionably worth it there.

Btw, you are missing one of the skill test locations here (the crystalline caverns).

Given what you are doing I think Lily's deck looks very reasonable. I especially like just how hard you committed to doing what you are doing. My biggest surprise is not having any Safeguard. I probably would have spent the XP on the lvl 2 version of that over Vicious Blow.

Second post

So for me I've been rating Danforth as the most valuable partner ally, but maybe part of that is playing 4-player campaigns. The Tekeli-li cards show up often and their compounded worst effect is that they end up costing you a lot of card draw. This makes Danforth always useful and drawing cards is Just Good. If you find a way to replenish secrets every turn (aka Ariadne's Twine in the deck running the lvl 4 Eon Chart) he also just keeps providing value. Other MVPs are Roald Ellsworth and Avery Claypool. Though if you are disciplined about managing the Frost Tokens Claypool drops off obviously. Also Cluevers sometimes take Cookie so they can contribute against boss enemies. And being able to shut off retaliate can be surprisingly useful. Eliyah might actually be better for this. Agree with everything else you're saying. I also think you're intentionally killing off the right two people.

I want to add that in 4-player (maybe 3 also?) another big threat of the Tekeli-li cards is that once the deck runs out, all the alternative effects to shuffling a card in your deck are just brutal amounts of damage. If you don't pack enough draw, running out of Tekeli-li cards is very possible and something you really need to work on avoiding. So if you have time at the end of a scenario, take extra draw actions to get those cards out and just generally try to make sure people pack enough draw. Aim at finishing scenario's having drawn your whole deck exactly once ideally. Dyer's camp ability goes up in value and Danforth just helps so, so much. All this probably isn't an issue in 2 player.

You are a lot more cavalier about adding Frost Tokens than I am, but then you also aren't adding any curse tokens, and let me tell you, having both frost and curse tokens in the bag makes the math on when you can be reasonably certain of landing a success (and thus feeling free to commit cards for acceleration effects like Deduction and Vicious Blow) real loving complicated. Maybe I should try this next time. I would never add a frost token for Broad Snowdrifts for example, nor have I ever taken the Small Radio over removing the token. Then again the Broad Snowdrifts are just an ideal location for off-investigators to sink their teeth in while the main cluever does something more difficult. I've also been building my decks much more flex than single role lately for reasons discussed in this thread previously. But basically to me you are wasting a whole lot of Lily's actions in the first three turns as she focuses on Not Losing rather than Winning, though I will admit you are Not Losing in a very specific way that nets you more actions on Ursula to spend on Winning. Begs the question if it's not just better for Lily to be able to help with Winning though.

All in all you plan to achieve less on part 1 of this scenario in terms of opening locations and gathering supplies than my two runs of the campaign so far managed to achieve (both on Hard, one 4 player and one 2 player), though you did manage to achieve a lot on the actual run. So much frost tokens goddamn.

Never played with Prophesiae Profana before but seems very reasonable.

I like your part 2 strategy, though it does mean you'll potentially be removing fewer frost tokens from the bag, it increases your chances of actually finding the missing person. I guess what I'd prioritze depends on who goes missing. Had it been Cookie or Takada I'd definitely want the frost token removal. Dr Mala, ehhh, you probably would prefer alive?

Again a scenario with very little for Lily to do other than effectively try to donate her actions to Ursula. Well, you already know my thoughts on that, though it is neat that the way these scenarios are designed this is a viable thing to do (no reshuffling the encounter deck, yay!). Your results seem pretty good though, getting important supplies, getting Dr Mala and getting rid of a bunch of Tekeli-li cards. Big yikes on the frost tokens though.

Backpack 2 is a lot better than backpack 1, maybe should have grabbed this already last scenario? Getting rid of Drawn to the Flame is certainly interesting given scenario 2. Curious to see how it works out. Vicious Blow is reasonable though still surprised at no Safeguard. Is Shortcut and Prophesiae Profana enough? Questioning though if Vicious Blow before Hammer is the right choice. Also starting to wonder if you'll Enchant the Hammer eventually.

Killing off Ellsworth sure sucks, but he went out like the boss he is so I'll allow it. Big success on getting everything you need done though, only possible improvements are less frost tokens, Ellsworth alive (bye Cookie) and less Tekeli-li in the decks. All in all, a good result.

Wait what, that's the wrong Hammer! What are you doing? Also surprised you are dumping a Pole rather than a Healing Words first. But we'll see where this all goes. Oh wait I see, are you going to abuse the poo poo out of Balance of Body? Nice, hadn't thought of that combo yet, cool. I like how action-compressed and card-compressed Lily's deck is getting at fighting real good. Still not convinced that spending the rest of her actions and cards on trying to donate actions to Ursula is the best plan, but it's also certainly not the worst, and I don't think you could pull off the Sledgehammer with the way I would have built her to also be able to grab some clues instead. Anyu certainly is one of the better uhh, partner assets? Some of the others are kind of stinkers to be honest.

Third post

The Fatal Mirage scenario is easily the one where the Tekeli-li deck can run out the easiest on 4-player, by the way. I think in 4 player you need to seriously consider leaving early after intentionally doing a bunch of draws to try to get rid of them to mitigate. Kensler and Claypool are very solid upgrades, as is Danforth. Other than that I'd mostly try to get a fourth Resolute Partner if playing 4 player (on the second visit) and otherwise try to XP farm.

You managed to get done what needed doing and get off real light with Tekeli-li's, so this was just a massive success. Too bad about the horror and damage on the partners, but eh what can you do?

Well Prepared is neat here really playing to the campaign. Upgraded Claypool actually even better with so many Frost Tokens around. Pretty funny. If only you could add more supplies. Will we see an Emergency Cache lvl 3 make it onto Stick to the Plan?

Real brutal to take mental trauma because of it being too cold and Takada being dead though. If you manage to lug everything up that mountain including even the Spare Parts and Small Radio (least useful ones out of the lot imo) with only 2 investigators I'll be real impressed.

Randomly losing Cookie here after 2 whiffs of Rise of the Elder Things is some amazing luck. Still though, I'm real impressed. One question, you say that "Each location is worth 1VP, but there are a few effects which will add more clues to them like Windswept Path, so if you have to keep climbing back into it the clues will stack up and prevent you from getting that XP." but aren't you not allowed to climb higher unless the location below is empty of clues? So actually you will always get 5 VP from locations if you manage to resign (unless you've done teleporting shenanigans)? Are you sure you played this rule right, or am I getting something wrong?

I'm a little surprised you healed 2 horror off of Kensler rather than 1 horror and 1 damage. All in all though, campaign is looking real good right now. Dynamite was aces for us to blow up penguins and sometimes other assholes but I can see it being underwhelming in your decks. Spare Parts definitely belongs in Lily to fuel Claypool though in my opinion. Lily's deck getting real big right now though. I would've maybe expected the Wooden Sledge in Ursula's deck since it's kind of a backpack, but Lily has way less draws and search effects so does make sense, plus she has plenty of downtime actions :v:. Should've moved the Radio over to Ursula I guess. Or just remove the frost token instead way back when and save the mental trauma instead.

Real curious how Gené works out for you, both in terms of the effect doing the work and losing a lot of economy. Then again, if there is a scenario where the effect can do all the work it is scenario 3. Cool Unearth the Ancients inclusion here though, I like it a lot. Real surprised you haven't taken any Ariadne's Twine though. So little action compression for Ursula. Lily's upgrades all make sense, bit surprised at the second Ever Vigilant over Safeguard but seems like that was just never a consideration for you. I tend towards taking Quiesence of Thought second because draw is just so good, especially right after hand-dumping turn 1 with the Ever Vigilant on the Stick to the Plan. Though I understand you wanting maximum Sledgehammer abuse right away. Takada's Cache is good.

RE: healing, I think Bandages and Earthly Serenity are the best healing in the game, probably followed by the Mirror and then Flesh Ward? I'd put Sinha's Medical Kit around the same as the Earthly Serenity. Overall though, healing still not great, but was never better than what was printed in Edge of the Earth. Feels like bringing healing in a deck is viable for the first time since the game's release.

Fourth post

Dodging both the weaknesses is so, so good. Especially with 8 frost in the bag. Even if you keep frost under control though, adding yet another dead draw to your deck can really screw you up in this campaign. You're getting lucky in some nice ways here.

On the other hand, sitting down and doing the math to figure out where to go into the city brings solid rewards and is good gameplay. (god we're such nerds)

Hidden Tunnel has no shroud so cannot be investigated. I'm like 95% on this.

Again very impressed at your result this scenario, and even getting rid of some frost tokens finally! Sure feels like you got a good grip on this campaign.

Deciphered Reality continues to be super strong, and scenario 4 is certainly great for it. Not having that Pathfinder continues to sting though. Or even better upgraded Eon Chart and Ariadne's Twine, imo. I'd take either option over the Decipered Reality here and then grab the (second) DR after the last mirage.

Fang is good, really unsure if it's the best option though but I'm not going to go look through every guardian XP card to come up with a better suggestion. You're floating a lot of XP. Not sure if you have a plan for it, but if you're starting to run out of options, Observed is never wrong. Dyer's Sketches are worse than Takada's Cache because of costing 2 resources to play, which also means they don't fit in every deck, in my opinion. But they are certainly playable and can be very good in the right deck.

You did real good again on the mirage, with Tekeli-li very much under control. I'm getting real curious what you are saving all that XP for.

Gene definitely pulling weight in scenario 4 as well due to the 0 shroud locations. Very cool. Reading cards continues to be a good way to play the card game good.

Welp, your luck broke. Losing Claypool sucks. I find that some of the seals are way more useful than the others though, so if you got the right one you're Fine, Actually.

Higher Education makes some sense. Still sucks about the Pathfinder. The other alternative here would be to grab Logical Reasoning (even lvl 0 is fine) and use the XP on whatever else you want (PF, Twine, Upgraded Eon Chart, Cryptic Research). Feels like deckslots are the main factor now.

Stand Together also makes sense, especially combined with Higher Education, but leaving 3XP on the table seems bad, actually. Too bad also you didn't get 1 more seal to be able to grab Observed at the very least. You should definitely have grabbed a Keen Eye though. Maybe you'd never use it, but then maybe you do and if you have 3XP with no other purpose it's free to take. Alternatively Charisma to be able to play Tetsuo and Anyu together. The Overpower upgrade also makes sense.

Err, I don't think you can play even a fast card when Dissonant Voices is out. Dissonant Voices doesn't mention that you can not take "Play actions", it says you can not play card. Dyer's Sketches even says on the card "Play during a fast action window", so you are definitely still playing this card, even if you're not taking a play action. The rulebook also supports this, saying that playing a card "usually" involves a play action, so not always.

I feel like scenario 4 part 2, is a bit underwhelming, personally, but still very well done on making it out alive and with the best resolution.

Fifth post

Given how things went and for all the reasons you mention, I do think Charon's Obol would be a good choice for Ursula, ideally right away scenario 1 off of In the Thick of It.

I'm curious if you ever considered Grete Wagner for Lily?

I played exactly the kind of Lily deck you veered away from in my 4 player run. Taking the Willpower asset first (never taking the Combat asset, actually) plus Holy Rosary and Read the Signs and an Enchanted Hammer. Also Read the Signs over Spectral Razor. It was not as good at sniping Ancient Evils (though I still had Let me Handle This One and Ward of Protection so I managed to grab a fair few) but I could contribute with a bit of clue gathering as well, which felt very good in this campaign since there are definite dead moments where a fighter has nothing to do. That said, I definitely want to try out your way in a 3 or 4 player game as every Ancient Evils dodged just provides so much value.

I think you're undervalueing Butterly Swords, actually, though yeah it's overshadowed by the Cyclopean Hammer for sure (but then what isn't?). Lily taking the Agility asset early and starting with the lvl 2 version, maybe with In the Thick of It can make it work. Extra hilarity if you bring a lvl 2 bandolier and have all the swords in play. I agree that if the campaign has tokens do bad things regardless of success or failure, it's best avoided.

I made great use out of On the Hunt level 3 with Lily also, but then never had the XP and room for the Fang.

I agree with most everything you're saying about Edge of the Earth, except that I find adding doom to the agenda for difficulty is actually a rather elegant way to up the pressure. Certainly has less variance at low player counts compared to adding scarier cards to the encounter deck.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Kalko posted:

- I find your higher player count perspective really interesting in how really changes the value of a lot of cards and other things like the TL deck (which I can imagine is a LOT more dangerous). Regarding Safeguard (2), I suspect it's an excellent card in 4P but I've never liked it in my 2P games because there generally aren't enough enemies for it. And Ursula, in particular, with Gene/Profana AoO protection/good Evade rarely needed anything engaged off her.

I know it can be advantageous to have both investigators in the same place, but more often than not I wanted them split anyway. In the first scenario Lily would generally take the first turn each round and I wanted her to stay around the low Shelter locations (if she attached herself to Ursula it would add an additional factor in working out where to end her turn). And they were rarely more than 1-2 locations apart anyway because in Part One Ursula is hanging around the W/SW/Crystalline Cavern locations and Lily is floating around the Crash Site.

I think I underestimated just how useful the no-AoE clause on Profana is, especially combined with just ditching dudes with Gene. Very cool approach to enemy management. Seems like this is really the campaign for it too, since it has a relatively low enemy count so you can get the XP to get it all together.

Kalko posted:

- I didn't try Sketches, Practice Makes Perfect and Plan of Action for Ursula. I settled on her deck very quickly, but I generally don't rate Sketches (am I wrong?) and I have played the Practiced package stuff in Trish and I liked it but I actually just didn't consider it for Ursula. Midnight Oil is a bit superfluous while Milan is around, but once he leaves it becomes an important cog in the economy machine. I'm definitely not committed to it though.

Sketches is a bit of a staple. It gets you three cards which is going to be more than the backpack (0) on average when it has so few targets. Means it also guarantees getting you 3 cards closer to that Stone you want and just fuels what you're doing. I would've definitely taken Sketches in your lvl 0 deck, and then replaced with backpack (2) when XP allows it. I get that backpack (0) has higher upside potential by getting your higher value targets, but it doesn't go all that much deeper in the deck and I prefer the consistency.

Kalko posted:

Clues on a location prevent the one above from being revealed, but once it is actually revealed you can go back and forth between them as much as you like (getting hit by the effects of climbing each time). Lily and Ursula were often 1-2 locations apart simply because of all the encounter deck and Cultist token bullshit that moves you around, so things like Snowfall would easily hit Lily when she was two locations below Ursula, and stuff like that.

Welp, I definitely made this scenario a lot harder for my group when we played it. I could have sworn the "can't climb without clearing clues" clause was on the agenda or act rather than on the front of the locations. Once again reading the cards is the best way to play the card game good.

Kalko posted:

You can only heal either 2 damage or 2 horror with one of the ally effects, not one of each, unless I'm missing something?

I thought you said you used the Small Radio to do it, so you could've radio'd up both Dyer and Dr Mala once each, no?

Kalko posted:

- I liked the breakpoints on Fang with regards to the enemies left in the game - 4HP or 6HP with VB. The mobility was good on it, too.

Gotta give this card a try.

Kalko posted:

- last random out-of-place thought: I must have played City at least ten times across all of its versions and I was still making efficiency gains right up to the proper run. In 2P most of the locations have only two clues on them, which meant my most common play was to move to a location and use Ursula's action to grab one clue, then move the remaining one away with Gene. I eventually learned to leave keys on the ground too, so that Lily could pass by later to pick them up (which prevented them having an impact on the Skull token and the treacheries that look for them, at least for a time) which ended up saving Ursula some actions by not having to actually pass them off to her. City is such a pure, almost puzzle-like experience which feels incredibly rewarding to play each and every time. It's my vote for the best scenario in the campaign and one of the best in the game. It also feels like you're actually moving through this sprawling, quiet, frozen city, too, but I think climbing the mountain was the biggest thematic win overall.

edit: Also meant to say that the biggest gains for Lily making more room for clue tech might be in the first part of S4. If she could grab a seal herself without Ursula having to backtrack to provide the clues it would save a lot of actions in that one.

I gotta give it to the mountain for best scenario, and I think the mirage and the first scenario also hit their theme well and feature good design. They wear out their welcome a little bit due to how often you visit them though, especially the first scenario. Scenario 4 is definitely the weakest of the bunch, with the 2nd part just being anti-climactic due to how easy it is compared to other final scenarios and even other scenarios in this campaign. That said, the campaign has no scenario's I'd call bad, which might be a first.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The problem with the rules is that "as if" currently means that as long as that clause is in effect, you *are* at the other location, without having ever actually moved from the location you are "actually" in to the location you are "as if" in. Like, you might as well move the investigator card to the other location to help understand it, just don't treat that as a move in any way. Oh and you haven't actually "left" the location you are in.

Think like a quantum state and a card effect caring about location being an observation of that state. So if you "as if" into a location and then use "Shortcut" you can choose which of the two locatons is your origin location and move your "actual" investigator to any location which is a legal target given that origin. So your quantum state has changed from original ("actual" location A + "as if" location B) to ("as if" location B + "actual" location C). Then once the "as if" clause runs out, you stop being "as if" in location B and so you are now wholly and completely in location C, after having moved from location B to C, and thus never having moved from (or left) location A.

So there are a couple of types of fix here in my view:

1. Treat "as if" as basically creating a ghost-like copy of your investigator which can do all the things your actual character can do until the "as if" clause runs out. Think like a Starcraft 2 Protoss Adept unit using the shade ability and the ability being cancelled before the Adept merges into the shade (except it can also attack and block units in shade form). So if you "as if" into a location and then use "Shortcut" you are now "as if" in the other location (so you could investigate "as if" in a location two locations away if you could manage to Shortcut after the "as if" clause triggers but before the Investigate action begins. Or more realistically, Rex Murphy could investigate "as if" at one location, and then Shortcut into another location during the test and grab a clue in that location using his investigator ability if he succeeds by 2, all before snapping back to his original "actual" location when the "as if" clause runs out.

2. Treat "as if" as your investigator being in two locations simultaneously and the player being able to choose for each card effect which affect the game state which location they will treat their investigator as being in for that effect. So still quantum state. BUT anything relating to changing locations while the "as if" clause is active means you are considered to be leaving both locations, regardless of which one you select as your origin location.

3. If you are considered to be, for example "investigating as if" in a location, then you are not in any way shape or form actually at that location. You're just doing an investigation test there without being there. You can't select it as your origin location for Shortcut because you are not there. You didn't create a quantum state or a shade or ghost or any of that poo poo, you're just doing an investigate action at a place where you are not present.

It's all a bit non-euclidean.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Oh I wasn't trying to simplify so much as contrast with my alternative proposals. Also I think they should choose 3 for simplicity's sake though I think 1 is kind of neat.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The funny thing is, you call it modern but the Gathering already did that (albeit while also featuring a massive number of enemies), and arguably Midnight Masks also.

And then they seem to have just forgotten that Agility is a primarily defensive skill for a good two campaigns there. And then again for The Circle Undone.

Also, Tony has plenty of options in the clue department, just build him has Green/Yellow instead of Green/Blue. Here's a list I took through Edge of the Earth: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2150169
I probably wouldn't take Easy Mark again if I'd play the same deck. Here's the lvl 0 version: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2130955
The backpack lvl 0 wasn't great and would be better as another weapon instead. Depending on who you pair with you should also run You Handle This One. I was paired with Joe Diamond, so that got cut.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 16, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

If you really want a Delve too Deep I think you can cut a Prescient or a Candles.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Well Connected was super important, yes. A lot of the time Deduction was committed to a Joe investigate action. You can also get an Intel Report and one or two other cards under Crystalizer and then play it off of those icon commits.

Dario is a bit of a pain to activate at lvl 0 but once you get Loan and lvl 2 Sure Gambles it gets very doable. Tended to function as an early fighter who then resource dumped into a bunch of clues later. Maybe a bit more setup required then I’d ideally like, but once set up surprisingly resilient to treachery cards, especially willpower tests.

Re the Winny deck: you realize the ability triggers off of any 2 committed cards, not just skills right? Some of those skills are not so hot, and you only got 2 assets to fight and 2 assets to investigate. Ask yourself what you will do if you start with neither of those, which is quite likely. If your cardpool permits, bring another weapon and definitely pack some Flashlights imo.

If you don’t have any non-garbage weapons I’d cut the Manual Dexterity’s for another Perception and Overpower and dump one Nimble and the Pickpocketing for Flashlights. Or pretend you have In the Thick of It and pack an XP weapon.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 17, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Zoe with all the explosies.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I mean all the explosives. Dynamite, grenades, if it goes boom bring it. Maybe a flamethrower.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

drat that Luxley is so good for Caroline. Lvl 0 already was imo, but this is something else.

Dragon Pole lvl 3 falls in that weird area a lot of low XP weapons (usually 1 or 2 XP cost, sometimes 3) fall into where a lot of their text is certainly very good, but they don't get the +2 damage so they end up barely played. .45 automatic (2) is another example here. Basically if you are going to spend XP on a weapon, it's usually because the weapon is a primary focus of your deck, so why settle for something that's pretty good when you can spend an extra couple of points and take something great instead?

That said, it might be good purely for the 2 arcane slots granted by a single card and we should think of that as the primary function, and being able to hit dudes with stick as additional benefit.

In general though, the big question with the low XP (excluding 0xp) weapons is, who are they for, exactly?

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 23, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Well now you can do that deck with 10 less experience and 6 free deck slots and only give up a couple of arcane slots.

I don't know if that will make it any good, but it'll certainly be better.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 23, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Unlimited +1 damage on a melee weapon is already strong imo. Survivors only got access to that in EotE and Rogues still don't. In comparison fight spells for Mystics have limited charges and all have ways they can backfire with the wrong draw. This card is unlimited, gives you card draw and fills up its own slots with no downside. And only 3XP. I think for Mystics this card is definitely a good option unless you need the hand slots or really need the action compression and extra damage of big spells in spite of the risks.

It doesn't do as much damage as Guardians big guns, but those use ammo that you need to dedicate cards to work around. So I still think it competes. For Guardian the best comparison would be Holy Spear which is more expensive XP-wise and has a +2 damage attack and again you need to dedicate cards for the bless mechanic to get that. And this version of Dragon Pole can get to +4 on every attack easily which is really strong. Just throw in Enchanted Weapon or some big damage events for when you need more damage.

I mean its not as strong as Cyclopean Hammer but thats just stupidly busted, lol.

Sure, but if you are going to rely on Dragon Pole for your enemy handling needs, how are you going to ensure you will draw it? For Guardians they can use their usual Prepared for the Worst on a Stick to the Plan, but begging the question why not bring a big gun and some ammo too? (also discounting Cyclopean Hammer cus uhh, yeah). For Mystics, though, while spells might have downsides, you can draw them at least somewhat reliably, but a weapon? You're probably not even packing enough items and supplies to make backpack (2) worthwhile.

I can see it as a bit of flex in a clue-oriented Mystic to be able to do their part against bosses and knock some small enemies around if needed. Which is probably the best place the small xp weapons fit into anyway.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Oh he's tugging the guy off alright.

That card seems pretty meh. Putting down clues generally isn't what you want to do and it's not like the yellow card pool has no other options for card draw.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

It's lots of cards and no weakness triggers.

It costs a lot of tempo though. Putting 2 clues on location nets you 3 cards for 1 resource plus at least 2 actions and a test. Plenty of times 3 actions and 2 tests. That's just not good.

Where it gets good is scenarios where you don't need to have the clues. Sometimes you just need to take clues off to trigger something and then it doesn't matter if clues go back on. Or you need clues for act 1 and then not anymore.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 24, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

That card is amazing for Finn. Good for most other Rogues, but amazing for Finn. Hope we see some more cards that do something based on the Illicit trait also. This might be the 2nd best Rogue lvl 0 economy card after Faustian Bargain.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 24, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Compared to Leather Coat it takes up a much more valuable slot and you have to jump through hoops to play it in exchange for a single more health soak. So just off of that it seems very bad.

Possibly viable in Ashcan Pete cus he doesn't value his handslots as highly plus he can discard cards easily. Wendy also at least gets a benefit from discarding a card but still doesn't seem good. Patrice gets this in the discard pile easily and does have a weakness that can do a lot of damage, though I'm also not convinced here. Seekers and some Mystics have low health and might want it for that reason but Seekers need their handslots and while Mystics don't, Agnes would need to combine this with Cornered to be able to discard. Seems like a real long way to go.

Total nonbo with Backpack to the point where I don't think you could ever play both these cards in the same deck. This really sucks particularly for Daniela.

Curious to see if the Armor and/or Improvised traits are going to matter in this set. Would be good in a new investigator who has a discard ability and doesn't care about his handslots for some reason.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 26, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The challenge isn’t “find a way to make this card useful” but “find a way to make this card better than Leather Coat”.

Also Tommy does not get money when this card is shuffled back in his deck.Forced triggers before his reaction.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 26, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It says to shuffle it in your deck as a forced effect. That resolves in its entirety before a reaction has a chance to do something I am pretty sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Guardian Asset - Field Agent
4 Cost, 2 XP
You get +1 Intellect
Free Action - Exhaust Field Agent and deal 1 horror to it: discover one clue at your location.
2 health, 2 sanity
Ally slot

Seems very good, particularly if you don't need the combat icon from other Guardian allies or the tutoring from Tetsuo. Great combo with Alice Luxley. Probably very much worth considering for non-Guardians with Guardian lvl 2 access also.