Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MOTYC
4th January
Gake No Fuchi Joshi Pro Clockwork Gake No Fuchi 2022
Hardcore Match
Chris Brookes vs Suzu Suzuki

Yeah, that was loving bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
4th January
Gakenofuchi Rules
Miyako Matsumoto vs Risa Sera

Gakenofuchi Rules is basically "this is loving nonsense". There's regular breaks in the action for special games, like a sumo battle between their seconds. It's kind of like the wrestling match equivalent of the UK TV show Taskmaster. But with the added level of incomprehension of not understanding Japanese. Glorious.

To some extent it is impossible to rate this. In other ways, MOTYC.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
4th January
An Absolute Clusterfuck of a No DQ match
Chris Brookes, Miyako Matsumoto, Senosister Mao Inoue (not MAO, honest) & Shunma Katsumata vs Prominence (Akane Fujita, Mochi Miyagi, Risa Sera & Suzu Suzuki) & Sanshiro Takagi

I'mma just quote the live thread

fez_machine posted:

aww what a glorious clustefuck that became sad that it was over

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I've just realised that of the first 5 shows I watched in 2021 I had 1 MOTYC, Suwama vs Aoyagi ****¼

In 2022 I have watched 3 shows & have 9 MOTYC. 1 *****, 1 ****¾, 3 ****½ & 4 ****¼

I may have gotten carried away, or the NOAH, Zero1 & Gake No Fuchi Joshi Pro shows were all really good.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
2nd January
All Japan New Year Wars Night 1
Evolution (Hikaru Sato & Suwama) & Shotaro Ashino vs NEXTREAM (Atsuki Aoyagi, Kento Miyahara & Yuma Aoyagi)

I had a post justifying this and managed to lose it like a dipshit. So I'll just say this is short, snappy & builds well to the following night's Tag Title Match. Satisfying.

HM
2nd January
All Japan New Year Wars Night 1
All Asia Tag Team Titles
Stronghearts (El Lindaman & T-Hawk) vs Total Eclipse (Hokuto Omori & Yusuke Kodama)

Stronghearts have been one of the best tag teams of 2021 (hint hint if you're voting in end of year awards), honestly ever since they formed. It's good to see that quality run continue into 2022, and helping to build it up some of the excellent young talent in All Japan.

I know there's a lot of good wrestling this week but do think the All Asia Tag match is worth catching.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WMOTYC
3rd January
All Japan New Year Wars Night 2
Purple Haze (Devil Murasaki & Izanagi) vs Total Eclipse (Kuma Arashi & TAJIRI)

This is extremely TAJIRI booking. Devil Murasaki is a loving terrible gimmick & I think i'm officially done with sports tape comedy spots done by people who aren't Toru Yano.

Izanagi AND Kuma deserve better than thus

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

AJPW New Years War Night 2 January 3rd
MOTYC
Runaway SUPLEX (Shotaro Ashino and SUWAMA) (c) vs NEXTREAM (Kento Miyahara and Yuma Aoyagi) - AJPW Tag Team Championships
- SUWAMA is very obviously past his prime now, but the other three guys are great enough that they're are able to cover for him when he needs to slow down. NEXTREAM are in the running for the best stable in the world, they only have four members but all four rule. This match ruled, only mistep I saw was around 20 minutes in where Ashino slipped when going for a corner suplex, but that's small beans when taken with the rest of the match (and also having Kyohei as the ref. gently caress you, you slow counting old man).

2nd this. Although I'm a bit higher on Suwama than SG is, I think he's slowing down but is Still more than good enough. Just no more Triple Crown reigns please.

I actually feel upbeat about All Japan after these 2 shows this week. Yuma has been successfully elevated to the main event scene now, Ashino is undercontract, Kento is still great, you have Koji Doi & Kuma Arashi who aren't at the level but I think Doi could be a legitimate TC challenger without too much booking effort. The Saito Brothers are about to go to MLW for a while and are improving noticeably every time you see them. They still have access to 2AW, BJW & GLEAT talent. Rising HAYATO is going to have his first title shot, Atsuki Aoyagi looks like an ace of the Juniors in the future, I'm assuming Akira will be back at some point.

If the booking doesn't get in the way of things it's an exciting promotion.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
4th January
TJPW Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling '22
New Year Tiger Child Rescue Match
Hyper Misao vs Shoko Nakajima

HM
4th January
International Princess Title
Hikari Noa vs Maki Itoh

People rightfully talk about how Itoh has improved but Noa has improved similarly, that International Princess reign really helped her grow in stature.

MOTYC
4th January
Princess of Princess Title
Miyu Yamashita vs Mizuki

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
25th December 2021
Pro Wrestling FREEDOMS Blood Xmas
Hardcore Match
Daisuke Masaoka, Kamui & Rina Yamashita vs DASH Chisako, GUNSO & Masashi Takeda

MOTYC
25th December 2021
King of FREEDOM Tag Team Titles
ERE (Takayuki Ueki & Toshiyuki Sakuda) vs Tomoya Hirata & Toru Sugiura

Ueki & Sakuda have made a mockery of BJW's garbage booking by having a great run in FREEDOMS in 2021. Both are real loving sickos but sure Big Japan, keep pushing Abby & Jaki & let the talented deathmatch dudes walk.

Sugiura is tremendous as per, Hirata has really improved drastically in the last 6 months, this is a culmination of that. He really takes that skewer through the cheeks spot well.

MOTYC
25th December 2021
King of FREEDOM World Title
Violento Jack vs Jun Kasai

Kasai is Kasai. Crazy Monkey has not slowed down. It's incredible really how long he's been in the conversation for best deathmatch guy. Jack is totally underrated in the sense I had never even heard of him before I became a regular FREEDOMS viewer, he just doesn't get talked about but he's been excellent as Champion with brutal match after brutal match.

Until watching this Jack vs Takeda was my deathmatch of the year but now I think I gotta go Jack vs Jun. Just an absolutely fantastic match, both dudes an absolute bloody mess at the end of it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WMOTYC
3rd January
DDT 25th Anniversary Opening Special
Pheromones (Danshoku Dieno, Yuki Iino & Yumehito Imanari) vs Toi Kojima, Yuji Hino & Yuya Koroku

Well, I watched this because of pure & simple laziness, didn't want to go to the computer to skip this.

So I can happily report: New Year, Same Old poo poo From Pheromones. If they aren't the worst act in wrestling then someone out there really loving sucks.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lid posted:

Pheronomes or House of Torture you have to choose.

Oh god. I guess at least the bonus of Pheromones is that why they are loving horrendous they limit themselves to stinking up the undercard. Mostly.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

MOTYC: Open the Brave Gate Championship - SB KENTo vs. U-T, Dragon Gate in Nagoya, 12/19/21

The fact that Dragon Gate hid this absolute banger of a match on an unaired house show and waited a month to upload the footage to the network just in time to get overshadowed by Wrestle Kingdom is criminal. U-T and Kento have great chemistry, and SBK has spent the last two months working his rear end off as Brave Gate champion as DG has essentially trusted him to headline multiple shows over this stretch, and he's been absolutely nailing it. If you like cool submissions and reversals, this match is for you.

2nd this, finally watched it, SBK has been a great Brave Gate champ already.

HM
4th January
NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16 Night 1
Katsuyori Shibata vs Ren Narita

WMOTYC
4th January
NEVER Openweight Title
Tomohiro Ishii vs EVIL

You have to admire EVIL & Togo for being able to take even Ishii down to their level.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
4th January
IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Titles
Dangerous Tekkers (Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr) vs CHAOS (Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI)

HM
4th January
IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title
El Desperado vs Hiromu Takahashi

MOTYC
4th January
IWGP World Heavyweight Title
Shingo Takagi vs Kazuchika Okada

EVIL aside, can't really fault the top half of this show. Aside from the result of the main event anyway :(

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Taichi vs DOUKI - TAKATaichimania III

I'll write more when I'm not so emotional but this loving blows everything from Wrestle Kingdom out of the water. Find a way to watch this match. I'm almost in tears right now.

If this doesn't end in them getting married I'll be sorely disappointed now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
4th January
Pro Wrestling NOAH New Sunrise
Daisuke Harada, Hajime Ohara, Masa Kitamiya, Naomichi Marufuji & Yoshiki Inamura vs Kongo (Aleja, Katsuhiko Nakajima, Kenoh, Manabu Soya & Tadasuke)

MOTYC
4th January
Pro Wrestling NOAH New Sunrise
Go Shiozaki vs Kaito Kiyomiya

Fun little show that, very breezy watch

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
5th January
Wrestle Kingdom 16 Night 2
Jeff Cobb vs Tetsuya Naito

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
5th January
IWGP US Heavyweight Title
KENTA vs Hiroshi Tanahashi

I kind of hated this. Like, it was good but it was uncomfortable & I say that as someone who is happy as Larry watching deathmatches with real loving sickos. But there, they seem to know what they are doing & here...there's a reason any time you see a ladder on a puro show one of the ring attendants (or more than one) will jump in to hold the ladder, because that poo poo is scary. And there's Tana just shaking a ladder that looks like it could replace the lights in the roof of the Tokyo Dome. I dunno, I just couldn't get into it because I was filled with the wrong sense of discomfort while watching it. It was still a good plunder match & while I think New Japan aren't great at doing those (they tend to end up falling into a formula that I don't love), I dunno. It's hard to put my thoughts on this into words other than "I am conflicted".

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
5th January
IWGP World Heavyweight Title
Kazuchika Okada vs Will Ospreay

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Come back to the Taichi fan fold. We only need one more vote to get him and DOUKI on the MOTY list like they deserve

I will watch it tonight.

HM
13th January
Dragongate Open The New Year Gate Night 5
Open The Twin Gate Titles
RED (HYO & SB KENTo) vs Dragon Dia & Yuki Yoshioka

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Taichi vs. DOUKI, JTO TakaTaichimania III, 10/01

Love a bunch of lads who beat the piss out of each other then knock back the drinks after

Nth this

Suplex de la Luna is extremely cool, so is seeing Milano getting mental at ringside for this.

My one complaint is not getting to hear Nobu sing.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 14, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
5th January
Pro Wrestling NOAH Reboot 2022
GHC National Title
Kenoh vs Daisuke Harada

HM
5th January
Pro Wrestling NOAH Reboot 2022
Daiki Inaba, Go Shiozaki, Kaito Kiyomiya, Masa Kitamiya & Yoshiki Inamura vs M's Alliance (Keiji Mutoh, Masato Tanaka & Naomichi Marufuji) & Sugiuragun (Kazuyuki Fujita & Takashi Sugiura)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
10th January
Marvelous Korakuen Hall
Makoto vs Maria

A really nice match to open the show, sub-10 minutes & I really enjoyed it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
10th January
Marvelous Korakuen Hall
AAAW Title
Chihiro Hashimoto vs Takumi Iroha

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
6th January
N Innovation U-Cup Night 1
Daiki Inaba vs Kaito Kiyomiya

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
8th January
Stardom New Year Stars Night 1
AZM vs Momo Watanabe

Well worth catching this. AZM is great, Momo is great (how is their combined age just 40?), MOMOAZ was a great tag team who will be missed, and now Momo is out to destroy Queen's Quest.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
2nd January
Big Japan New Year 2022
BJW Strong Heavyweight Title
Takuya Nomura vs Yuji Okabayashi

If you like big hard hitting action then you will like this. That said, after their 2019 match this is a tiny bit of a disappointment. But still stand by this at ****¼, it's a banger. Just that these dudes have even better matches in them. Even stiffer.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 17, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I think you missed the participants in the match?

I went to edit the names in and managed to forget one of them, but we got there eventually

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
16th January
Prominence Pre-Launch Show 1
Akane Fujita & Mochi Miyagi vs Risa Sera & Suzu Suzuki

A really fun conclusion to a really fun show.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
7th January
Pro Wrestling NOAH N Innovation U-Cup Night 2
U Cup 4 Way Elimination
Eita vs Hajime Ohara vs Haoh vs Seiki Yoshioka

HM
7th January
Pro Wrestling NOAH N Innovation U-Cup Night 2
U Cup Final 8 Man Survival Tag
Atsushi Kotoge, Daisuke Harada, Hajime Ohara & Junta Miyawaki vs Kongo (Aleja, Haoh, Nioh & Tadasuke)

This show had some low points but these 2 matches were some really good Junior action

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 17, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WMOTYC
7th January
DDT FREE January!
Kazuki Hirata, Shunma Katsumata & Super Sasadango Machine vs Pheromones (Danshoku Dieno, Yuji Iino & Yumehito Imanari)

Oh for fucksake why did I watch Pheromones again? I'm a loving moron.

HM
7th January
DDT FREE January!
Chris Brookes vs Yoshihiko

It's an amazing carry job of the lanky Brit by everyone's favourite inanimate wrestler

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
7th January
DDT FREE January!
Eruption (Hideki Okatani & Kazusada Higuchi) vs HARASHIMA & Yuji Hino

Already very into Hideki Okatani, Eruption member.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
5th January
AEW Dynamite
AEW World Title
Adam Page vs Bryan Danielson

WMOTYC
5th January
AEW Dynamite
AEW TBS Title
Jade Cargill vs Ruby Soho

Finally gave up on watching New Year Smash and just going to try catch up on stuff from this year. I didn't rate it because it's a squash but God do I want them to hurry up and pay off this Wardlow poo poo. 911 was better because he only needed to do 1 chokeslam & then peace out, this dude just drags it out. (OK, I'm being hyperbolic, 911 sucked but he was utilised better)

World Title match ruled obviously, did think it was a small notch below the first one but this had some gnarly poo poo in it.

Putting Jade in an 11 minute match on TV just exposes her imo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
9th January
Stardom New Year Stars Night 2
Oedo Tai (Momo Watanabe, Rina, Ruaka & Starlight Kid) vs Queen's Quest (Lady C, Saya Kamitani & Utami Hayashishita)

Starts with SLK bragging that AZM isn't here (because Momo injured her the previous night), Tall Saya is about to respond but Lady C takes the mic from her to say we'll take you on 3 vs 4. SLK & Momo have both benefited from their heel turn, Momo getting to show off a way more vicious streak has been cool.

After the match Utami talks about never forgiving Momo and wanting a match with her & Momo is just "ugh, you lost the red belt, not sure you're worth it anymore but fine, I'll whomp you at the Anniversary show". Good stuff.

MOTYC
9th January
Stardom New Year Stars Night 2
Goddesses Of Stardom Titles
AliKaba (Giulia & Syuri) vs FWC (Hazuki & Koguma)

Best women's match of 2022 so far, at least as far as I've seen. Great to see Giulia & Syuri back together, terrific team. Anyway Korakuen was about as hot as it can be for this one considering *points at world*, well worth your time watching this.

https://m.vk.com/video-4499945_456247719?list=1498324bb375f84b6a&from=wall-4499945_20514 (Full show link, these 2 are the last 2 matches)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

HM: Sammy Guevara vs. Daniel Garcia, AEW Dynamite, 12/01

Oof that was a bad show. In fact:

WMOTYC: CM Punk vs. Wardlow, AEW Dynamite, 12/01

I love Punk, I love Wardlow, they're capable of so much more than this. The layout for this match was dire and the Powerbomb Symphony is fine for crushing jobbers but absolutely sucks for building a proper match around.

2nd both of these. Although I don't think I'd say it was a bad show. All the angles & promos hit with me. The brawl with Best Friends & Elite or whatever they are calling themselves now, PAC, Brody's debut absolute kicked bottom. A lot to like even if none of the wrestling outside the main event really hit.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
8th January
NJPWxNOAH Wrestle Kingdom 16 Night 3
Kosei Fujita vs Yasutaka Yano

You gotta love some hard hitting young boy action.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
8th January
Sugiuragun (Kazushi Sakuraba & Takashi Sugiura) & Toru Yano vs Suzukigun (Minoru Suzuki, Taichi & TAKA Michinoku)

HM
8th January
Naomichi Marufuji & Yoshinari Ogawa vs Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Zack Sabre Jr

This show is really Good fun. If you haven't seen it yet & have either NJPW or Wrestle Universe I'd recommend making the time for it. If you have both then I'd say watch in WU because Mark & Stew are a great commentary team.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
8th January
Kongo (Aleja, Katsuhiko Nakajima, Kenoh, Manabu Soya & Tadasuke) vs Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, Hiromu Takahashi, SANADA, Shingo Takagi & Tetsuya Naito)

MOTYC
8th January
Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kazuchika Okada vs Kaito Kiyomiya & Keiji Mutoh

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
16th January
Pro Wrestling NOAH Bumper Crop
GHC Heavyweight Title
Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Masa Kitamiya

The cage match last year was better but good lord I love listening to Nak kick people.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
23rd January
All Japan New Year Wars Night 3
Triple Crown Title Tournament 1st Round
Kento Miyahara vs Suwama

You just get a base level of very good when these 2 dudes clash.

HM
23rd January
Triple Crown Title Tournament 1st Round
Ryuki Honda vs Shotaro Ashino

This pair don't have the same history, they had 1 match during Honda's trial series, although they have been on opposite sides going back to 2019 in Wrestle-1, but Ashino was a top dog while Honda was just starting out & still a teenagers. But they still put together a match that is well worth a watch. Shame about referee Wada but All Japan :shrug:

WMOTYC
23rd January
All Asia Tag Team Titles
TOTAL ECLIPSE (Hokuto Omori & Yusuke Kodama) vs Devil Murasaki & Izanagi

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart. Devil Murasaki matches are pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
23rd January
Triple Crown Title Tournament Final
Kento Miyahara vs Ryuki Honda

Great. A reminder that Kento is Still one of the best