Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: Dangerous Tekkers vs CHAOS (YOSHI-HASHI & Hirooki Goto) NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16 04.01

Maybe more of a HM purely on match quality, but the finish put it over the top for me.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: Katsuyori Shibata vs ~Mystery Opponent~ NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16 04.01

The swerve of the century followed by the most brutal pro wrestling clinic I've seen in a long, long time.

Also Nth.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: KENTA vs Hiroshi Tanahashi NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16 05.01

Turns out that a rarely seen garbage wrestling plunder match in New Japan and and even more rarely seen Dark Tanahashi makes for one hell of a banger.

Yes

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM: Minoru Suzuki vs CIMA vs YTR vs Chase Owens NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16 05.01

Extremely fun dumb clusterfuck of a match. Also a great ending.

E:

HM: SANADA vs GOK NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16 05.01

An excellent technical match. Both SANADA and GOK are real good at the graps and it shows.

MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito vs Jeff Cobb NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16 05.01

COBB STRONK: The Match. Also Naito is a fantastic dick. Brutal as all hell.

Yes to these too

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Watching the show now. Will try to post links to those matches after NJPWxNOAH. It aired January 6th so think it's eligible for this topic

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Los Ingobernables de Japon vs. KONGO - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16 Night 3: New Japan vs. NOAH 1/8

The energy and excitement this 10-Man Tag match generated overwhelmed the kinda lovely nature of the abema.tv English PPV stream, the crowd was alive for it and both teams were throwing everything they had into it, and it was so much fun to watch and felt like a genuine big deal.

Gonna go MOTYC. That ruled so much

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Violento Jack (c) vs. Jun Kasai for the King of FREEDOM Championship - FREEDOMS Blood Xmas (2021/12/25, aired 1/6)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe1fL2iEf-I

Violento Jack had a fantastic 2021 and this was the cap on that. You can always rely on Kasai to deliver in big deathmatches.

MOTYC: E.R.E. (Toshiyuki Sakuda & Takayuki Ueki) (c) vs. Toru Sugiura & Tomoya Hirata for the King of FREEDOM Tag Team Championship - FREEDOMS Blood Xmas (2021/12/25, aired 1/6)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR4-9hWd_Ns

Ueki is my favourite madman. Absolute loving idiot,

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Oh yeah I usually add a warning for people who are general okay with deathmatch stuff but don't like mouth stuff that Sakuda has a spot where he stabs skewers right through bjs opponent's cheeks so don't watch the tag title match if that sounds unappealing.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

WMOTYC
3rd January
DDT 25th Anniversary Opening Special
Pheromones (Danshoku Dieno, Yuki Iino & Yumehito Imanari) vs Toi Kojima, Yuji Hino & Yuya Koroku

Well, I watched this because of pure & simple laziness, didn't want to go to the computer to skip this.

So I can happily report: New Year, Same Old poo poo From Pheromones. If they aren't the worst act in wrestling then someone out there really loving sucks.

2nding this. I put it on in the background while I working last night and I hate this act.

Jerusalem posted:

Only reason I'm not seconding this is because by this point I just gently caress off to do something else while their matches are on and come back when it looks like they're almost over. They're such a waste of time AND Iino.

Iino was one of my favourite wrestlers when he was in All Out...

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

e:real nomination below

I'll write more when I'm not so emotional but this loving blows everything from Wrestle Kingdom out of the water. Find a way to watch this match. I'm almost in tears right now.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 10, 2022

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTY: Taichi vs. DOUKI - JTO TakaTaichiMania 3 (1/10)

After having the train ride home to reflect on this match, I've decided it's not only my match of the year so far (ten days in, but it's beating stiff competition from a match earlier today I'll try to post about later) and will take something really special to beat it, but it's one of my favourite pro wrestling matches of all time.

I will preface this review by saying that sorry to disappoint forkboy and Lamuella, it doesn't end with a Taichi/DOUKI wedding, but it does end with a birthday party which is almost as good as far as celebrations go.

Three years ago, at the first TakaTaichiMania, oft-maligned junior heavyweight Taichi wrestled the top star in all of Japan, Tetsuya Naito after his heartbreaking loss to Kazuchika Okada and took him to the absolute limit displaying an ability to go toe-to-toe with one of the best wrestlers in the world and not look out of place, and though it didn't turn opinions around on Taichi overnight, it started his ascent to becoming a highly regarded heavyweight bruiser. A year later, at the second TakaTaichiMania, DOUKI, a man who was sent to Taichi in Mexico by Milano Collection AT and spent almost ten years plying his trade in the scuzziest of Mexican indie promotions was handed the opportunity of a lifetime when Jun Kasai broke El Desperado's jaw, granting him an unlikely spot in Best of the Super Juniors, where he too was oft-maligned by people both on the outside and the inside of the promotion, but TAKA leaving to take care of his new promotion left Suzuki-gun without a pineater so DOUKI managed to stick around. Today, at the third TakaTaichiMania, these two men faced off. Taichi may not be the top star in the country, and his heartbreaking Wrestle Kingdom loss was against YOSHI-HASHI rather than Kazuchika Okada, and DOUKI has already begun to turn public opinion around by himself, but this was still an opportunity to pay forward the favour that Naito paid to him three years ago, and boy did he ever.

There have been Suzuki-gun vs. Suzuki-gun matches at TakaTaichi shows before and they've usually been fun displays of two villainous scumbags trying to out-scumbag the other ending with them making up at the end. This match followed TAKA vs El Desperado, which was a lot of TAKA laying traps to try and get one over on the junior champion. You may have been forgiven for thinking this would end being more of the same, but these two went to loving war. For over 25 minutes, DOUKI took every lariat, every kick, every move Taichi has cribbed from one of the four pillars and gave it right back with the reckless abandon that has come to endear him to New Japan fans. One of the absolute highlights of the match was DOUKI backflipping out of a nodowa otoshi attempt from Taichi on the ring apron all the way to the floor and killing Taichi with a DDT to the apron. The more of Taichi's onslaught the more DOUKI turned the crowd who'd come to support Taichi in his favour until the only person in the whole building who was still showing their support for Taichi was Miho Abe, who for her part was running back and fore to Kimihiko Ozaki at ringside to check how much time was remaining and panickedly informing Taichi how much time he had to left to avoid being held to a shock draw.

The emotional climax of the match came 25 minutes in after DOUKI managed to kick out of a Last Ride, Milano Collection AT leaped from the commentary table and ran to DOUKI's corner to will him to victory along with Mima Shimoda and the rest of the Korakuen crowd. They edged closer and closer to the 30 minute time limit and DOUKI even managed to hit Taichi with the scrappiest Suplex de la Luna he's hit. Taichi made it look like a real loving struggle. However, eventually Taichi managed to hit Black Mephisto and for the first time ever I, and many other people in Korakuen Hall, groaned with disappointment as Taichi pinned DOUKI for the three count. It was an absolute masterclass in getting someone over in defeat. If this had happened at an NJPW show it would have loving made DOUKI.

After the match all of Suzuki-gun were called out to wish Happy Birthday to Miho Abe and all but Minoru Suzuki, who was supposedly out the front selling merch, answered the call. However, once they started singing, the boss himself emerged (along with a gaggle of idols he'd picked up along the way) carrying a birthday cake for Miho, which he then smashed into her face. Suzuki-gun then posed as that amazing TakaTaichi theme played and I realised these loving assholes have completely replaced LIJ as my favourite NJPW faction. I love Taichi. I love DOUKI. I love Suzuki-gun.

This match probably won't mean as much to you as it meant to me, but it was still loving incredible pro wrestling, and I would easily put it above anything on Wrestle Kingdom. Buy this show, pirate it, I don't care. Just find a way to watch it because it was amazing. Five stars.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress, this sounds incredible. Do they ever go up on New Japan World?

It is on New Japan World but as a PPV

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

Haven't watched it yet, but saw that it got uploaded (including postmatch)

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1ZP4y1E75J

Thanks for posting this, I just rewatched it and it's still loving incredible on a second watch. You lose Miho's panicked runs to Ozaki on the broadcast but you get Milano getting more and more worked up on commentary as it goes along. The postmatch is on NJPW's YouTube with English subtitles if you would rather watch that there.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

Oof that was a bad show.

Come back to the Taichi fan fold. We only need one more vote to get him and DOUKI on the MOTY list like they deserve

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

The bilibili link's been deleted :(

https://odysee.com/@RobotRebel:0/DOUKI-vs-Taichi-TAKATaichiMania-3-January-10-2022:1

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Kento Miyahara vs. Ryuki Honda for the Triple Crown Heavyweight Championship - AJPW New Year Wars (1/23)

I really can't say much about this match without giving away who won the two semi final matches in the tournament but neither was really worth your time so don't feel too bad about clicking the spoilers. This was a fantastic breakout performance for Honda, especially after following Rising Hayato making GBS threads the bed in the junior title match. He looked loving great and didn't look like he was out of his depth being in there with Kento. His offence all looked amazing and there were a few spots where he made me believe he was going to do it. Best AJPW match I've seen in a long time. I just wish Kyohei Wada was replaced by Nikkan Lee for main event matches.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

It is very funny to me to say that he is still one of the best when Kento is only 32, he's still got a lot of prime left

And he doesn't seem to have as much wear and tear as Okada does at a similar age. His style being doing the basic things really well and not having to regularly wrestle crazy people like Kenny, Naito, Ospreay and Ibushi probably helps.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

HM
26th January
GLEAT G Prowrestling Ver.15
G-Rex Title Tournament 1st Round
Kaz Hayashi vs Yu Iizuka

HM
26th January
GLEAT G Prowrestling Ver.15
G-Rex Title Tournament 1st Round
Ryuichi Kawakami vs Takanori Ito

2nd

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Testekill posted:

MOTYC: Cody Rhodes vs Sammy Guevara, AEW Dynamite: Beach Break, 1/26

Nth

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lamuella posted:

Kiryu was a great foil for rude djinn tomfoolery.

This could be someone describing a Yakuza substory and I wouldn't be surprised

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Syuri (c) vs. MIRAI for the World of Stardom Championship - Stardom Nagoya Fight 2022 (1/29)

Syuri is really loving good. This would have been incredible if the result was in doubt at any point.

HM: Saya Kamitani (c) vs. Unagi Sayaka for the Wonder of Stardom Championship - Stardom Nagoya Fight (1/29)

Probably Unagi's best match ever. They just went out and threw a bunch of sick moves at each other.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

This is like the mirror universe version of coming back to this thread after missing a big AEW PPV lol. This has to be the record for most WMOTYCs on a single show, right?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Not high enough on the match to Nth it but if we had a finish of the year then that would be number one.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC for Archer/Hangman. So amazing the late career Resurgence Archer got because he helped sell tickets for the G1 in Dallas and DBS Jr. hosed off.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

He had a real dogshit record in that G1 that turned everyone around on him too, it was like 3-6 or something. He did get the feelgood moment of Nippon Budokan popping huge for him doing his turnbuckle pose with Taichi, Kanemaru and Miho Abe

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
11th February
SEAdLINNNG Started '22
Arisa Nakajima & Las Fresa de Egoistas (ASUKA & Makoto) vs Hiroyo Matsumoto, Itsuki Aoki & Yoshiko

SEAdLINNNG are back and they are still great. Heel Arisa is such a fucker. I will say that something felt off about the production, like they used the floor camera a lot more than the hardcam, & when they used that it was zoomed out more for some reason. But the wrestling is still very good.

2nd. Kawahata/Ryo didn't really hit for me, party because it was the second tease of a time limit draw on a rookie trial series on the same show.

The main event owned though. Loved the dynamic between Arisa and Las Ego. Loved Yoshiko showing off some new stuff. Makoto really has come into her own over the past year or so to the point I'd love to see her get a shot against Arisa.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: EVIL (c) vs. Tomohiro Ishii for the NEVER Open weight Championship match - NJPW Golden Series (2/13)

An actual good House of Torture EVIL match is miraculous enough to qualify this, but the match was mostly clean and included some really sick exchanges, and the early shenanigans were more funny than annoying. Especially Marty slapping EVIL across the face.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Minoru Fujita vs. Rina Yamashita - FREEDOMS Go Byond The Limit (2/3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hez7pyZNJA0

Rina Yamashita stepped in last minute to substitute for Jun Kasai after he came down with COVID. This match loving ruled. One of the best Fujita deathmatches I've seen. He went all out to make Rina look good.

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
11th February
SEAdLINNNG Started '22
Arisa Nakajima & Las Fresa de Egoistas (ASUKA & Makoto) vs Hiroyo Matsumoto, Itsuki Aoki & Yoshiko

I already seconded this but I uploaded it for anyone who wants to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geqBCwj-j2Q

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: Trent Beretta vs The Detested Knife Pervert AEW Rampage 18.02

FUUUCK YOUUUU SWITCHBLADE

2nd. Jay is the best and they should just replace Adam Cole with him in the Revolution title match

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Hiroshi Tanahashi (C) vs. SANADA for the IWGP US Championship - NJPW Golden Series 2/19

Also known as The Alliance to End Kneeamania, these two did everything they could to gently caress up each other's knees, on top of an already great match. Some absolutely perfect moments of timing here from both guys, selling in EXACTLY the right way at EXACTLY the right time to perfect effect. A nice reminder of what SANADA is capable of in addition to Tanahashi being, of course, The Ace.

2nd. Beautiful tribute to the Living Legend Keiji Mutoh. The best SANADA match ever.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

gently caress, is SANADA good again?

Go watch the match right now

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

WMOTYC: Minoru Suzuki (h) vs. Toru Yano for the Provisional KOPW2022 - NJPW Golden Series (2/20)

I hated every second of this loving match

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada (C) vs. Tetsuya Naito for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Golden Series 2/20

The ONLY thing this was missing was the crowd being able to lose their poo poo, and they still lost their poo poo at points anyway because HOLY gently caress WHAT A MATCH! :stare:

💯💯💯

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
22nd February
GLEAT G Prowrestling Ver.18
G-Rex Title Tournament Semi-Final
El Lindaman vs T-Hawk

Absolutely brilliant.

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
22nd February
G-Rex Title Tournament Semi-Final
Hayato Tamura vs Takanori Ito

Ahhhhhhh. God drat that was close. Love to bite extremely hard on false finishes.

Nth. GLEAT have a great crop of stars

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
22nd February
G-Rex Title Tournament Final
El Lindaman vs Hayato Tamura

2nd

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Starlight Kid (c) vs. AZM - Stardom Cinderella Journey in Nagaoka (2/23)

Absolutely their best match together, and I'm not as high on SLK as a lot of people are. If you like Japanese junior heavyweight stuff then this for you

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

HM
21st February
SEAdLINNNG Shinkiba Night
Hiroyo Matsumoto, Itsuki Aoki & Yuki Mashiro vs Las Fresa de Egoistas (Makoto, Ayame Sasamura & Riko Kaiju)

MOTYC
21st February
SEAdLINNNG Shinkiba Night
Beyond The Sea Singles Title
Arisa Nakajima vs Hanako Nakamori

Not the greatest Arisa match but that's a very high standard. Some nice brutality here.

My favourite match of the show was the high speed three way. I was really let down by Arisa/Hanako

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM: Suzuki-Gun (El Desperado, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & DOUKI vs STRONGHEARTS (CIMA, T-Hawk & El Lindaman) NJPW 50th Anniversary Event 01.03

A nice, fresh matchup between two great teams. Just good stuff all around.

Nth

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

Minoru Suzuki, Zack Sabre Jr and Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kazuchika Okada and Tstsumi Fujinami
- This was great, old man Fujiwara is an absolute delight

nth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. El Desperado - New Japan Cup (3/6)

loving incredible stuff. I don't think Okada has been on a run this good since 2017/18