Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lid posted:

Pheronomes or House of Torture you have to choose.

H... h-house of Torture.....

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

forkboy84 posted:

WMOTYC
3rd January
DDT 25th Anniversary Opening Special
Pheromones (Danshoku Dieno, Yuki Iino & Yumehito Imanari) vs Toi Kojima, Yuji Hino & Yuya Koroku.

Nth. Dieno's act is terrible and getting worse

sportsgenius86 posted:

MOTYC: Dustin Rhodes vs. Sammy Guevara, AEW Battle for the Belts, 1/8

This match slapped

Nth, loved it.

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Dr. Britt Baker DMD (C) vs. Riho for the AEW Women's Title - AEW Battle of the Belts 1/8

It was kind of iffy in the middle but the final stretch was exceptionally good, both Riho and Britt looked great in this match.

Nth. Super solid work.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

HM: Eddie Kingston vs Gabriel Kidd, New Japan Strong, January 8. A King's Road vs Strong Style epic, as performed by an angry kid from Nottingham and a dirtbag from Yonkers. Eddie has the emotion of the wild veteran, Kidd has the fire of a young Shibata protégé. The strikes and throws here are great, and a version of this match that had a story going into it would be in MOTYC territory.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MOTYC: Dustin Rhodes vs. Sammy Guevara, AEW Battle of the Belts, 08/01
HM: Ricky Starks vs. Matt Sydal, AEW Battle of the Belts, 08/01
HM: Britt Baker vs. Riho, AEW Battle of the Belts, 08/01

Chris James 2 posted:

MOTY
Ace Austin vs Chris Bey vs Speedball Mike Bailey vs Laredo Kid
Jonathan Gresham (C) vs Chris Sabin for the ROH title

Not nthing but those both sound like killer matches so wtg Impact

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

Pheronomes or House of Torture you have to choose.

Oh god. I guess at least the bonus of Pheromones is that why they are loving horrendous they limit themselves to stinking up the undercard. Mostly.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Lamuella posted:

HM: Eddie Kingston vs Gabriel Kidd, New Japan Strong, January 8. A King's Road vs Strong Style epic, as performed by an angry kid from Nottingham and a dirtbag from Yonkers. Eddie has the emotion of the wild veteran, Kidd has the fire of a young Shibata protégé. The strikes and throws here are great, and a version of this match that had a story going into it would be in MOTYC territory.

Nth

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pylons posted:

AEW Rampage, 1/7

HM: Adam Cole vs. Jake Atlas
HM: HOOK vs. Aaron Solo
HM: Britt Baker & Jamie Hayter vs. Riho & Ruby Soho
HM: Eddie Kingston, Santana & Ortiz vs. 2.0 & Daniel Garcia

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Dustin Rhodes vs. Sammy Guevara, AEW Battle of the Belts, 08/01
HM: Ricky Starks vs. Matt Sydal, AEW Battle of the Belts, 08/01

Nth. Great week of AEW shows (apart from the injuries)

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Lamuella posted:

nth. Agreed

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pylons posted:

AEW Rampage, 1/7

HM: Adam Cole vs. Jake Atlas
HM: HOOK vs. Aaron Solo
HM: Britt Baker & Jamie Hayter vs. Riho & Ruby Soho
HM: Eddie Kingston, Santana & Ortiz vs. 2.0 & Daniel Garcia

I agree with this. Nth.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
HM: Jake Atlas vs BUDGE
HM: Aaron Solo vs HOOK
HM: Riho & Ruby Soho vs Britt Baker & Jamie Hayter
HM: Eddie Kingston & Santana & Ortiz vs Daniel Garcia & 2point0

All from AEW Rampage 07.01

MOTYC: Sammy Guevara vs Dustin Rhodes
HM: Ricky Starks vs Matt Sydal
HM: Britt Baker vs Riho

All from AEW Battle of the Belts 08.01

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rarity posted:

HM: Dustin Rhodes vs. Sammy Guevara, AEW Battle of the Belts, 08/01

Nth-ing these. Workrate Dustin rules.

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

I wanted to fight the world.

- Eddie Kingston

Lamuella posted:

Nth. Awesome match.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Buncha AEW

Dynamite 5/1
MOTYC: Adam Page vs Bryan Danielson
HM: Jurassic Express vs Lucha Bros - RIP Rey

Rampage 7/1
HM: Adam Cole vs Jake Atlas - RIP Jake
HM: Eddie Kingston & PnP vs 2.0 & Daniel Garcia

Battle of the Belts 8/1
MOTYC: Sammy Guevara vs Dustin Rhodes
HM: Britt Baker vs Riho

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada (C) vs. Will Ospreay for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16 Night 2 1/5

Regardless of anything else, Ospreay is one of the best wrestlers in the world and Okada is, of course, Okada. Incredible match, exhilarating and terrifying in equal measures. How either of these guys do the things they do is beyond me, but I'm sure as gently caress glad to watch them do it.

Unnecessary Nth so I don't forget about it later in the year when considering my personal MOTY.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Lamuella posted:

Nth. Worth making time for this. I love Eddie in AEW but this is non-goofy Eddie and it’s nice.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

MOTYC: Open the Brave Gate Championship - SB KENTo vs. U-T, Dragon Gate in Nagoya, 12/19/21

The fact that Dragon Gate hid this absolute banger of a match on an unaired house show and waited a month to upload the footage to the network just in time to get overshadowed by Wrestle Kingdom is criminal. U-T and Kento have great chemistry, and SBK has spent the last two months working his rear end off as Brave Gate champion as DG has essentially trusted him to headline multiple shows over this stretch, and he's been absolutely nailing it. If you like cool submissions and reversals, this match is for you.

2nd this, finally watched it, SBK has been a great Brave Gate champ already.

HM
4th January
NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16 Night 1
Katsuyori Shibata vs Ren Narita

WMOTYC
4th January
NEVER Openweight Title
Tomohiro Ishii vs EVIL

You have to admire EVIL & Togo for being able to take even Ishii down to their level.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
HM: Gigante Orión vs Mini Oriental, La Parkita, Mini Vikingo, Mini Mohicano - 1/2 Promociones Dinastia Moreno - Los Guapos vs Las Shotas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fichkN_3h9g

This is a 7-minute match where a 6'7" Canadian guy faces 4 minis. I dunno, I was just very entertained the entire time. Give it a shot.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
4th January
IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Titles
Dangerous Tekkers (Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr) vs CHAOS (Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI)

HM
4th January
IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title
El Desperado vs Hiromu Takahashi

MOTYC
4th January
IWGP World Heavyweight Title
Shingo Takagi vs Kazuchika Okada

EVIL aside, can't really fault the top half of this show. Aside from the result of the main event anyway :(

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lamuella posted:

Yeah agreed

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
MOTYC: AJ Gray vs. Matt Tremont - 1/7 VxS/NPU Already Dead

MOTYC: Violento Jack (c) vs. Jun Kasai for the King of FREEDOM Championship - FREEDOMS Blood Xmas (2021/12/25, aired 1/6)

MOTYC: E.R.E. (Toshiyuki Sakuda & Takayuki Ueki) (c) vs. Toru Sugiura & Tomoya Hirata for the King of FREEDOM Tag Team Championship - FREEDOMS Blood Xmas (2021/12/25, aired 1/6)

3 just tremendous matches

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

For those who want to take part (hopefully all of you!), The Post Your Favorite Active Wrestlers for 2021 Thread is now up and running for the next two weeks!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

e:real nomination below

I'll write more when I'm not so emotional but this loving blows everything from Wrestle Kingdom out of the water. Find a way to watch this match. I'm almost in tears right now.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 10, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Taichi vs DOUKI - TAKATaichimania III

I'll write more when I'm not so emotional but this loving blows everything from Wrestle Kingdom out of the water. Find a way to watch this match. I'm almost in tears right now.

If this doesn't end in them getting married I'll be sorely disappointed now.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

If this doesn't end in them getting married I'll be sorely disappointed now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTY: Taichi vs. DOUKI - JTO TakaTaichiMania 3 (1/10)

After having the train ride home to reflect on this match, I've decided it's not only my match of the year so far (ten days in, but it's beating stiff competition from a match earlier today I'll try to post about later) and will take something really special to beat it, but it's one of my favourite pro wrestling matches of all time.

I will preface this review by saying that sorry to disappoint forkboy and Lamuella, it doesn't end with a Taichi/DOUKI wedding, but it does end with a birthday party which is almost as good as far as celebrations go.

Three years ago, at the first TakaTaichiMania, oft-maligned junior heavyweight Taichi wrestled the top star in all of Japan, Tetsuya Naito after his heartbreaking loss to Kazuchika Okada and took him to the absolute limit displaying an ability to go toe-to-toe with one of the best wrestlers in the world and not look out of place, and though it didn't turn opinions around on Taichi overnight, it started his ascent to becoming a highly regarded heavyweight bruiser. A year later, at the second TakaTaichiMania, DOUKI, a man who was sent to Taichi in Mexico by Milano Collection AT and spent almost ten years plying his trade in the scuzziest of Mexican indie promotions was handed the opportunity of a lifetime when Jun Kasai broke El Desperado's jaw, granting him an unlikely spot in Best of the Super Juniors, where he too was oft-maligned by people both on the outside and the inside of the promotion, but TAKA leaving to take care of his new promotion left Suzuki-gun without a pineater so DOUKI managed to stick around. Today, at the third TakaTaichiMania, these two men faced off. Taichi may not be the top star in the country, and his heartbreaking Wrestle Kingdom loss was against YOSHI-HASHI rather than Kazuchika Okada, and DOUKI has already begun to turn public opinion around by himself, but this was still an opportunity to pay forward the favour that Naito paid to him three years ago, and boy did he ever.

There have been Suzuki-gun vs. Suzuki-gun matches at TakaTaichi shows before and they've usually been fun displays of two villainous scumbags trying to out-scumbag the other ending with them making up at the end. This match followed TAKA vs El Desperado, which was a lot of TAKA laying traps to try and get one over on the junior champion. You may have been forgiven for thinking this would end being more of the same, but these two went to loving war. For over 25 minutes, DOUKI took every lariat, every kick, every move Taichi has cribbed from one of the four pillars and gave it right back with the reckless abandon that has come to endear him to New Japan fans. One of the absolute highlights of the match was DOUKI backflipping out of a nodowa otoshi attempt from Taichi on the ring apron all the way to the floor and killing Taichi with a DDT to the apron. The more of Taichi's onslaught the more DOUKI turned the crowd who'd come to support Taichi in his favour until the only person in the whole building who was still showing their support for Taichi was Miho Abe, who for her part was running back and fore to Kimihiko Ozaki at ringside to check how much time was remaining and panickedly informing Taichi how much time he had to left to avoid being held to a shock draw.

The emotional climax of the match came 25 minutes in after DOUKI managed to kick out of a Last Ride, Milano Collection AT leaped from the commentary table and ran to DOUKI's corner to will him to victory along with Mima Shimoda and the rest of the Korakuen crowd. They edged closer and closer to the 30 minute time limit and DOUKI even managed to hit Taichi with the scrappiest Suplex de la Luna he's hit. Taichi made it look like a real loving struggle. However, eventually Taichi managed to hit Black Mephisto and for the first time ever I, and many other people in Korakuen Hall, groaned with disappointment as Taichi pinned DOUKI for the three count. It was an absolute masterclass in getting someone over in defeat. If this had happened at an NJPW show it would have loving made DOUKI.

After the match all of Suzuki-gun were called out to wish Happy Birthday to Miho Abe and all but Minoru Suzuki, who was supposedly out the front selling merch, answered the call. However, once they started singing, the boss himself emerged (along with a gaggle of idols he'd picked up along the way) carrying a birthday cake for Miho, which he then smashed into her face. Suzuki-gun then posed as that amazing TakaTaichi theme played and I realised these loving assholes have completely replaced LIJ as my favourite NJPW faction. I love Taichi. I love DOUKI. I love Suzuki-gun.

This match probably won't mean as much to you as it meant to me, but it was still loving incredible pro wrestling, and I would easily put it above anything on Wrestle Kingdom. Buy this show, pirate it, I don't care. Just find a way to watch it because it was amazing. Five stars.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lamuella posted:

Nth

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 10, 2022

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
HM: Hijo del Alebrije vs. Hijo del Fishman (IWRG Junior de Juniors title match) - IWRG Funcion de Reyes 1/9
the son of fishman is an enemy of god

watch it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fh1dbUxM40
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1480631762720022529

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
4th January
Pro Wrestling NOAH New Sunrise
Daisuke Harada, Hajime Ohara, Masa Kitamiya, Naomichi Marufuji & Yoshiki Inamura vs Kongo (Aleja, Katsuhiko Nakajima, Kenoh, Manabu Soya & Tadasuke)

MOTYC
4th January
Pro Wrestling NOAH New Sunrise
Go Shiozaki vs Kaito Kiyomiya

Fun little show that, very breezy watch

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

NOAH N Innovation U-CUP Night 1 January 6th
HM
Stinger (Seiki Yoshioka and Yuya Susumu) vs Perros del Mal de Japon (YO-HEY and Kotaro Suzuki)
- First hour of the show, was pretty skippable, but this woke me right up. Probably the best guys from each stable.

Daiki Ianaba vs Kaito Kiyomiya
- Inaba is great. He has a great look, stamina for days and isn't afraid to lay his shots in. I just wish they let him win a match every now and then

U-CUP Rumble
- A 15 man battle royal including everyone in the division except HAYATA. A bunch of fun little moments, my favourite of which was Kongoh doing their elbow drop routine in the middle of a packed ring.

NOAH N Innovation U-CUP Night 2 January 7th
HM
Hajime Ohara vs Seiki Yoshioka vs Haoh vs Eita
- It was an elimination match where everyone got to shine, which is great because all four of these guys are pretty drat good.

Momo no Seishun (Daisuke Harada, Atsushi Kotoge, Hajima Ohara and Junta Miyawaki) vs Kongoh (Nioh, Haoh, Tadasuke and Aleja)
- This was so much better than the last one of these tag style elimination matches they did, most likely because this one didn't have HAYATA wrestling for 40+ minutes

Really enjoyed these shows, they've been a fun showcase of the junior roster and breezed by at a couple of hours each

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 11, 2022

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Late on this but

HM: Adam Cole (baybay) vs Jake Atlas, AEW rampage, 7/1

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

This match probably won't mean as much to you as it meant to me, but it was still loving incredible pro wrestling, and I would easily put it above anything on Wrestle Kingdom. Buy this show, pirate it, I don't care. Just find a way to watch it because it was amazing. Five stars.

gently caress, this sounds incredible. Do they ever go up on New Japan World?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress, this sounds incredible. Do they ever go up on New Japan World?

It is on New Japan World but as a PPV

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
5th January
Wrestle Kingdom 16 Night 2
Jeff Cobb vs Tetsuya Naito

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Haven't watched it yet, but saw that it got uploaded (including postmatch)

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1ZP4y1E75J

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

Haven't watched it yet, but saw that it got uploaded (including postmatch)

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1ZP4y1E75J

Thanks for posting this, I just rewatched it and it's still loving incredible on a second watch. You lose Miho's panicked runs to Ozaki on the broadcast but you get Milano getting more and more worked up on commentary as it goes along. The postmatch is on NJPW's YouTube with English subtitles if you would rather watch that there.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

nth

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Nth. That was fantastic. I was biting right and left and that doesn’t happen for me much anymore.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
HM: JD Drake vs. Orange Cassidy, AEW Dark, 01/11/22

HM: Daniel Garcia vs. Fuego Del Sol, AEW Dark, 01/11/22

HM: Jurassic Express vs. QT Marshall & Nick Comorato, AEW Dark, 01/11/22

HM: Dark Order's 5 & 10 and Hangman Page vs. Matt Hardy, Isiah Kassidy, and Serpentico, AEW Dark, 01/11/22

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

graph posted:

HM: Dark Order's 5 & 10 and Hangman Page vs. Matt Hardy, Isiah Kassidy, and Serpentico, AEW Dark, 01/11/22

Second on this one, Serpentico was so great as the punching bag :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

4thing, this was an incredible watch, and the subtitled post-match promo on New Japan's Youtube is the icing on the cake.