Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Anyways:

some boomer posted:

So, of course you don’t like us. We were carefree and exuberant, while you are dour and anxious. We had Woodstock; you have safe spaces. You are Alfred de Musset’s enfants du siècle, living in the shadow of an earlier, more exciting generation and conscious of having missed out on all the fun.

I had research chemicals and The Weeknd. Its way cooler than sitting in mud with 20 hippies sharing a single joint of dirt weed while Sha-na-na plays 900 yards away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I think it's hilarious when people think they're generation is so much more exciting than those other ones. Yeah, the gigantic cultural shift that happened with computing and the internet sure was boring, mr boomer man. No excitement there!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

500excf type r posted:

You're really mad about motorcycles and I'm not even promoting or defending them.

I made a joke about motorcycles being violent which is why the peace Corp would ban them

Then I called everyone in the peace Corp bougie sheltered upper middle class kids.

And just like your mom put mittens on you when you were a new born so you couldn't scratch yourself, momma makes sure the state department doesn't allow her babies any opportunity for trouble

Hey I remember you.
You're the guy who defended child abuse that one time, like literal physical abuse.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Millennials call each other out on their poo poo, boomers congratulate each other over theirs.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

i dont really care if peace corps guys are rich it’s better than what most rich people get up to

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

small dick energy

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Grape posted:

Hey I remember you.
You're the guy who defended child abuse that one time, like literal physical abuse.

What

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wooooo boys we got some postin’ happening in here hot drat.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Whole lotta people need to get silenced ITT

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Poohs Packin posted:

Volunteer for meals on wheels

I did that for a few years it was somewhat gratifying and extremely depressing

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

A positive thing to note about the Peace Corps motorcycle ban is that it reflects the lengths American society goes to avoid preventable deaths.

The boomers' draft dodging did a big part to bring this about, which makes the whole "hurf durf I huffed gas, ate lead paint, got a bb stuck in my buttock, rode a car without seat belts and drank from the garden hose and I turned out fine." :downswords: all the more ironic.

A dramatisation of traffic in least developed countries meeting an American:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5tzi4xvt9Q

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

The Alchemist posted:

Whole lotta people need to get silenced ITT

Edit: wrong thread

Who Is Paul Blart fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 16, 2022

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Silent…. but deadly

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

A positive thing to note about the Peace Corps motorcycle ban is that it reflects the lengths American society goes to avoid preventable deaths.

The boomers' draft dodging did a big part to bring this about, which makes the whole "hurf durf I huffed gas, ate lead paint, got a bb stuck in my buttock, rode a car without seat belts and drank from the garden hose and I turned out fine." :downswords: all the more ironic.

A dramatisation of traffic in least developed countries meeting an American:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5tzi4xvt9Q

Seems like theres a market gap for "drinking safe" garden hoses that cost 5x more than normal ones. You could add some Harley Davidson branding. They wouldn't be able to resist.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

is drinking out of a garden hose really dangerous if you let it run a bit? my siblings and neighbors did it all the time growing up... who wants to go inside for a drink when its fun fun summer and you're out riding bikes or playing games and all dirty?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Wendigee posted:

is drinking out of a garden hose really dangerous if you let it run a bit? my siblings and neighbors did it all the time growing up... who wants to go inside for a drink when its fun fun summer and you're out riding bikes or playing games and all dirty?

That green paint contains lead, so no

Among other bad things: https://ideas.time.com/2012/08/02/is-your-garden-hose-toxic/

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 17, 2022

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

teen witch posted:

Me silencing every boomer on earth:

Jamie is like Popeye once she's had her Activia.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Brother Tadger posted:

That green paint contains lead, so no

Among other bad things: https://ideas.time.com/2012/08/02/is-your-garden-hose-toxic/

lol gently caress me, i got boomer brain coming in 10 years or less i guess.

I honestly didn't know that copper had lead in it.

thankfully we didn't do it every day constantly, it was just an occasional treat when we didn't want to go back inside and alert our parents that we were around in case they had something they needed us to do

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Wendigee posted:

thankfully we didn't do it every day constantly, it was just an occasional treat when we didn't want to go back inside and alert our parents that we were around in case they had something they needed us to do

All your plumbing is copper wtf are you talking about

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
If anyone wants to ride motorcycles and see the world you can join the volunteer organization the Violence Corps.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Wendigee posted:

Copper doesn't have lead in it, copper is copper. Copper pipe is assembled using solder, which until recent years was really heavy on the lead content.

There was a big hissy fit thrown by plumbers about a decade ago because leaded solder was disappearing, and lead free solder was more expensive, handled differently.

E:

500excf type r posted:

All your plumbing is copper wtf are you talking about

Lot of pipe now can just be pex. poo poo owns. Run a pex line inside larger pvc, and you can just pull new through like running wire through conduit when a line bursts.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 17, 2022

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I was replying to a goon who said copper garden hose had let in them i dunno
https://ideas.time.com/2012/08/02/is-your-garden-hose-toxic/

i mean my house pipes are copper... at my 12 year old house.... I assume pure copper and i think the article is talking about an alloy i dunno

The house I grew up in was built in 1908 or something and didn't have central heating until just before I was born. I'm sure the pipes were never replaced so they were probably lead I dont know.

My current pipes are copper. My brothers house who has copper pipes and is the same age had a micro-leak which is apparently pretty common for copper piping during this era.

He had to pay 200 for fixing the pipe then another thousand or so for his insurance deductible to get the moisture out of his basement and have them replace the drywall and rotting 2x4s holding it together.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lot of pipe now can just be pex. poo poo owns. Run a pex line inside larger pvc, and you can just pull new through like running wire through conduit when a line bursts.

they told my brother all new pipe was pex (i think they said pex... they definitely implied that copper was no longer desirable and not frequently used since) because of these micro-holes that appear at a poorly soldered joint after a decade

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kntfkr posted:

If anyone wants to ride motorcycles and see the world you can join the volunteer organization the Violence Corps.

death corps. for the last time it's called the death corps dammit!!!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Copper doesn't have lead in it, copper is copper. Copper pipe is assembled using solder, which until recent years was really heavy on the lead content.

There was a big hissy fit thrown by plumbers about a decade ago because leaded solder was disappearing, and lead free solder was more expensive, handled differently.

wow... so there WAS a benefit to growing up in an area where ph of the tap water was 10+!

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 17, 2022

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

E:

Ya pex rules. My house was built in 1760 out of hand hewn timbers on top of granite blocks and being able to just push plastic pipe through impossible to access crawlspaces is a life saver.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i rode a motorcycle for 3 years and it was dangerous as gently caress and stupid, but really fun when not on the highway or sand covered roads.

I did wear a helmet and a proper jacket and gloves.

I managed to lay it down on a commute at about 20 MPH because i forgot it had snowed 2 weeks before and there was still sand at the intersection....I slowed down too late. 2 wheels and sand and changing speed are not a good combo.

Thanks to my gear I was fine, but I sold the bike that spring. This city is no good for them. Whenever it's going to ice they cover all public roads in sand and that poo poo just doesn't go away for up to 6 months... it piles up at intersections and turning points.

If you are driving a car it's amazing because there is no salt to damage your vehicle and it still helps a ton on the ice.

regardless, neither is 2 wheels and drunk drivers and no traffic lights or traffic laws like in the third world....

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wendigee posted:

I was replying to a goon who said copper garden hose had let in them i dunno
https://ideas.time.com/2012/08/02/is-your-garden-hose-toxic/

i mean my house pipes are copper... at my 12 year old house.... I assume pure copper and i think the article is talking about an alloy i dunno

the garden hoses have brass, not copper

brass is like 1/2 copper 1/2 other stuff, usually tin but it can have all sorts of other metals including bad ones like arsenic and lead

you can have brass fittings in plumbing, but then they'd be alloys made for drinking water that don't have the bad metals

regardless I don't think anyone who drank from a garden hose a few times got excessive lead exposure from just that. lead isn't that awful, in a small one-time incident of drinking water that has more lead than the legal standard for drinking water.

the problem is when it's persistent exposure, like if some dumbass decided to fix their home plumbing by running a garden hose as a quick fix and now all the water they drink and cook with has excess lead.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

E:

Can't speak to plumbing solder but lead free solder genuinely sucks to do any kind of electrical work with. Doesn't flow nearly as well as old 60/40 lead solder.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Personally I like how all boomers take credit for attending the same Woodstock concert that just 0.01% of the population went to, because it's the one and only drug-fueled concert that they can name. There weren't any others, people just gave up weed and orgies until the 90s.

Though it's true boomers didn't "silence" people by ratio'ing them on twitter, they just wrote letters until the FCC took stuff off the air

But making a new social media account because your old one got banned, the pain is real

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My pipe is made of meat and you can enjoy it for no money down :smug:

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

ellasmith posted:

One last word of advice: You won’t believe what your kids will say about you.

Jokes on you, motherfucker - I can't afford kids :smuggo:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

ishikabibble posted:

Can't speak to plumbing solder but lead free solder genuinely sucks to do any kind of electrical work with. Doesn't flow nearly as well as old 60/40 lead solder.

i mean im sorry its a pain but ill take it over brain damage thanks!

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
40 years from now I will be senile enough to take credit for pulling people out of the rubble on 9/11, fighting in the war, inventing the iPhone, cryptocurrency, and every social media network and will still wonder why kids don't like me

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Imagine being a generation that went from "free love" and protesting the Vietnam war by burning draft cards to whining because your children/grandchildren "killed Applebee's". Boomers are pretty pathetic.

e: I honestly really hope my generation breaks the cycle and doesn't poo poo all over the Zoomers and younger generations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 17, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Wendigee posted:

i mean im sorry its a pain but ill take it over brain damage thanks!

He can have a little lead. As a treat. He's the one hovering over the board he's working on.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

je1 healthcare posted:

Personally I like how all boomers take credit for attending the same Woodstock concert that just 0.01% of the population went to, because it's the one and only drug-fueled concert that they can name. There weren't any others, people just gave up weed and orgies until the 90s.

Though it's true boomers didn't "silence" people by ratio'ing them on twitter, they just wrote letters until the FCC took stuff off the air

But making a new social media account because your old one got banned, the pain is real

Whats worse is that they could probably actually cite way cooler experiences. Doing cocaine and seeing The Talking Heads for example. But nope, its always dirty old nasty rear end Woodstock.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Poohs Packin posted:

Whats worse is that they could probably actually cite way cooler experiences. Doing cocaine and seeing The Talking Heads for example. But nope, its always dirty old nasty rear end Woodstock.

They peaked in high school.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's woodstock or disco. That's all they know.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

"Oh here's a boomer who did something good oh whoops they also hosed kids!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

je1 healthcare posted:

Personally I like how all boomers take credit for attending the same Woodstock concert that just 0.01% of the population went to

All Boomers get the credit for OG Woodstock, all millennials get the blame for Woodstock '99

That's how our generational dynamic goes