Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Can you provide a link that says that? Googling "Doctor Who Disney plus" doesn't show anything contradicting that report.

E: also, why would it be "scaremongering"? It doesn't scare me because I don't like modern DW as it is so Disney getting their hands on it means nothing to me, and I'd think your average modern DW fan in the street would be psyched to get a MCU-style DW with a big budget so they can get even more sweeping emotional moments that are completely unearned. :v:

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno, take your pick: Who has a strong leftist audience so there's natural opposition to Disney. Who's British, Disney is American, so the nationalists get mad. A lot of fans are worried about change full stop.

Beyond which, just because you're not scared doesn't mean that the original article wasn't blatant scaremongering. Unless you think the headline "As Jodie Wittaker Exits, should the BBC bin the timelord?" was written in an act of good faith reporting.

Whether something bothered you is not the litmus test by which something is judged as "scaremongering" or not lmfao.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I have no idea why you're having a go at me about this, but whatever.

Also again, nobody's providing any proof to the contrary.

Cleretic posted:

If I said that the Earth has seventeen invisible moons, would you require direct evidence to the contrary before calling me out as full of poo poo?

I'm not? I'm just trying to talk about your argument and leverage a counterargument against it.

Sorry if my tone didn't come across. It's something I'm working on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCtsjn_hJms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I have no idea why you're having a go at me about this, but whatever.

Also again, nobody's providing any proof to the contrary.

https://i.imgur.com/Rs9cNWy.mp4

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Cleretic posted:

If I said that the Earth has seventeen invisible moons, would you require direct evidence to the contrary before calling me out as full of poo poo?

WTF is this crap? I posted the link to the story, people immediately claimed it was bullshit, I asked for a link showing where the story was refuted after finding none myself, and all I got was a bunch of people jumping on me and :lol: a Wikipedia entry. It's not on me to prove that Disney has input on the creative side.

It must be true because a bunch of y'all are falling all over yourselves to scream it can't be true.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Read the article you linked then you bellend

quote:

The BBC will retain ultimate editorial control of future series, The Telegraph understands, so the tone and content of the show may not deviate dramatically from the canon of Doctor Who.

The public service broadcaster also retains the intellectual property rights to Doctor Who, so Disney will be unable to produce spin-offs of other material based on the concept.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Infinitum posted:

Read the article you linked then you bellend

If you'd have read my my post you'd have seen that I both quoted and bolded a section with that bit of loving information in the first goddamn place

In summary, get bent

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Dropping out of this thread because apparently posting a link to this story got NuWho fans riled the gently caress up and I don't need to raise my blood pressure any further. I only watch the classic series anyways so whatever.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Even if Disney doesn't officially have a hand in writing the show, them holding the purse strings means that they have an implicit voice in any creative decisions. A Black companion? Well, isn't the Doctor already Black, how about some diversity? Hmm, I don't know if people are going to tune in with this many trans characters running around... Now, do I think that RTD is going to stand for that sort of thing? No. But who comes after RTD? How about one of those big-name directors we've spent so much money to get on the show and is also signed to a multi-picture deal with Disney?

Turning Doctor Who from a property owned by the BBC as a whole into one owned by various for-profits, even if one of those is (currently) the show's biggest success story is a dangerous road to go down.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

WTF is this crap? I posted the link to the story, people immediately claimed it was bullshit, I asked for a link showing where the story was refuted after finding none myself, and all I got was a bunch of people jumping on me and :lol: a Wikipedia entry. It's not on me to prove that Disney has input on the creative side.

It must be true because a bunch of y'all are falling all over yourselves to scream it can't be true.

I didn't say this to attack you, I was pointing out that the Telegraph provided neither proof, corroborated claims, nor really any reason to believe them over everything else. I'm not calling you full of poo poo, I'm calling THEM full of poo poo. (Which should not be a controversial statement, it is the Telegraph.) They made a baseless assertion with no evidence, and we should treat it as such.

Hate Disney for the things they have confirmably done, not what one of the world's dumbest newspapers claims without proof that they will.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

gently caress i just realized that Flux should have been the setup/lead-in to Power of the Doctor, instead of whatever it was. All of the different parts we've been discussing/identifying could have been whole episodes of their own driving to the special as a finale after a cliffhanger

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

...So, who would win in a fight, the Skarasen or the Myrka?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Skarasan, it’s huge!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

But its kung fu would be useless!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
US Doctor Who will have a sonic shotgun.
Tardis changed from a phone box to a winnebago

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Show bad

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Remember when the Doctor was going to be played by Johnny Depp

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I'm old enough to remember when he was going to be David Hasselhoff

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Remember when they handed the first woman doctor to chris chibnall

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Other way round, surely?

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Remember when Chibnall created an actually good woman Doctor, but then she was non-canon pre-hartnell timeless child bullshit

I actually think the good thing about the Chibnall era is that he is 'penned in' now into a couple of easily skipped seasons. Unless RTD invites him back :shepicide:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lmao i genuinely forgot about her. she had like 10 lines and was throroughly more convicing than 13 constantly being belittled and outsmarted by everyone

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jo Martin is good and I hope she sticks around and they handwave Timeless Child nonsense away with "Actually I'm just a parrallel universe Doctor, our minds must be alike. Timeless Child? Have you been listening to the nonsense your universes Master has been feeding you?"

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I love the silly boogeyman stuff people project onto Disney. It's a massive corporation that did so much stuff, you can just pretend they'll do the most exaggerated worst-case scenario and think you've predicted something sensible.

I'm not seeing any other platform putting out Andor though!

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Jo Martin is good and I hope she sticks around and they handwave Timeless Child nonsense away with "Actually I'm just a parrallel universe Doctor, our minds must be alike. Timeless Child? Have you been listening to the nonsense your universes Master has been feeding you?"

It would be absolutely hilarious if they had her appear from time to time without acknowledging the timeless child bullshit.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Just like once a series, once every other series maybe, everything looks hopeless, theres no way the Doctor can win this one when suddenly... Bah Gawd! Thats Jo Martins music! :bahgawd:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SiKboy posted:

Just like once a series, once every other series maybe, everything looks hopeless, theres no way the Doctor can win this one when suddenly... Bah Gawd! Thats Jo Martins music! :bahgawd:

That seemingly innocuous steel chair was actually a TARDIS all along...

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The idea of an incarnation of the Doctor whose connection to the normal regeneration sequence was severed somehow is cool so the Fugitive Doctor can stay

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mameluke posted:

The idea of an incarnation of the Doctor whose connection to the normal regeneration sequence was severed somehow is cool so the Fugitive Doctor can stay

The way it worked is during one of the regenerations, the Doctor regenerated into two Doctors. That's what happens when Time Lords are cut in half.

There, now I've fixed all of the continuity problems.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Yannick_B posted:

I love the silly boogeyman stuff people project onto Disney. It's a massive corporation that did so much stuff, you can just pretend they'll do the most exaggerated worst-case scenario and think you've predicted something sensible.

I think people don't know that the entirety of Miramax/Dimension's output in the 90s-00s were Disney owned.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Yannick_B posted:

brain of a dog

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Rochallor posted:

Even if Disney doesn't officially have a hand in writing the show, them holding the purse strings means that they have an implicit voice in any creative decisions. A Black companion? Well, isn't the Doctor already Black, how about some diversity? Hmm, I don't know if people are going to tune in with this many trans characters running around...

People who say this sort of thing in America already hate Disney and are usually their critics, for what it's worth. Disney's latest political fracas upsetting bigots comes because it's adult fans and employees are overwhelmingly anti-bigot or minorities themselves. The criticism Disney typically gets from secularists in America (not going to say 'the left' because that's a trap) is that it wants China's money badly enough to hedge prideful diversity into places that can easy be edited out of CN distribution. That need for every picture to fly in Beijing also means anything that goes against Xi's cultural agenda can't ever actually be the focus of a picture, just a footnote that can be removed with a fast cut. That said, this doesn't apply to TV so much, what with Disney promoting Love, Victor and moving it in under their branding once they realized the fans were louder than the bigots.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 28, 2022

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

All you need to say is "large company bad" and that just about covers it. I'd rather Disney didn't get their mitts on another beloved property, but eventually everything will be owned by a handful of companies anyway so what can ya do.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
This is what you get when you make an episode about Amazon that's PRO-Amazon.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

All you need to say is "large company bad" and that just about covers it. I'd rather Disney didn't get their mitts on another beloved property, but eventually everything will be owned by a handful of companies anyway so what can ya do.

Sure, but they're not getting "their mitts" on it, they're distributing it. Bad Wolf are the ones actually with their mitts on it, they're the ones making the show.
Like, I'm in Canada and watching The Bear through Disney +.
Disney owns FOX, but what did they have to do with anything regarding the content of the show or anything else FX produces? Pretty unlikely.

And it's not even that I'm pro-Disney or anything like that, but unless we have actual reporting that says "Bob Chapek wants David Tennant to be the full-time Doctor", hand-wringing about "Disney" is silly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

That said, this doesn't apply to TV so much, what with Disney promoting Love, Victor and moving it in under their branding once they realized the fans were louder than the bigots.

Notably after pushing it off to Hulu in the first place. For... reasons.

To talk more about this issue generally:

Disney has demonstrated an internal culture of homophobia as recently as this year, despite making claims for inclusivity and diversity and blah blah blah. They've cancelled shows for being too gay, they donated a bunch of money to anti-queer political campaigns, engaged an internal culture of queer censorship etc. etc. That they're constantly making milquetoast gestures towards progressivism just makes them look like hypocrites.

Though this is probably obvious, it's worth repeating that the company doesn't have a morality beyond the desires of capital; if they're doing good, it's only because the money is there. Which extends to their creative side, which is clearly interfering and boardroom driven. So many of their productions are shot in bland, generic ways that allow for easy and extensive reshoots. These reshoots typically result in ugly, hacked together messes. Frequently they'll end up kludging together scenes based around actors who were never on set with each other in the first place.

They're also anti-worker, even in high profile roles, e.g. ripping off Scarlett Johannsen over Black Widow and claiming she should appreciate "the exposure" they provided her with. Plus there's the drive towards IP over actors, digital fakes over actors, the way they treat their SFX houses...

And that's before you get to the really creepy poo poo that is Disney Storyliving.

They're not going to be involved in the production of Who at this time, but you can see why someone would be concerned if they were to be.

Beyond which, privatisation sucks.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Notably after pushing it off to Hulu in the first place. For... reasons.

Thing is, they've done that sort of thing forever. Worries about backwater churches and "our values" is why Nightmare Before Christmas was released as a Touchstone film, but now it's all over the parks every year. To steal an idea from Dril, they basically turn a big knob labelled 'tolerance' up an down while looking to the audience for approval like a contestant on The Price is Right.

I think that’s what I get out of it, it would be neat to see a Who theme park experience. It would work far better for Epcot’s UK pavilion than the Mary Poppins thing that was silently cancelled.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 28, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Thing is, they've done that sort of thing forever. Worries about backwater churches and "our values" is why Nightmare Before Christmas was released as a Touchstone film, but now it's all over the parks every year.

To steal an idea from Dril, they basically turn a big knob labelled 'tolerance' up an down while looking to the audience for approval like a contestant on The Price is Right.

Yeah, I find it cowardly and detestable. They have no ideology beyond greed, so they're ultimately never capable of being progressive. And yet they claim to be.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SiKboy posted:

The Master gloating over the Doctor, then they get swung round, and the Fugitive Doctor nails them with a Rainmaker and does the Okada pose.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

They're not going to be involved in the production of Who at this time, but you can see why someone would be concerned if they were to be.

Beyond which, privatisation sucks.

I'm already concerned on that principle with Bad Wolf Productions. I want more, and better, Doctor Who, and the BBC is getting systematically destroyed by members of a political party so inept they can't come up with viable Prime Ministers (though I am in America and things are even worse here in that regard), and I trust the people running Bad Wolf. But they are a private company. The people I trust there don't always have to be there. On the other hand, BBC management of the show over the decades hasn't always been exemplary. In particular, the BBC production's record when it comes to race generally, and yellowface specifically, is pretty objectionable. And some of the best years of the classic series have an almost complete absence of women in their stories, without necessity.

But recognize as well that, say, director Pennant Roberts always switched a part in the scripts he directed to cast a woman. It's easy to think that giving creative control to a corporation means the day is lost, but as the Doctor themselves demonstrates, people can still make a difference.

In short, especially as the distribution deal is already set, let's see how things go before concluding that everything has been spoiled. And let's recognize that the bigger threat isn't Disney demanding gay erasure in the series, but Disney demanding that Big Finish's license isn't renewed, or Disney cracking down on Who fans, or otherwise attempting to seize greater control in those areas.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"What if Disney makes queer characters be straight," asks somebody who's seemingly forgotten that the show just queerbaited us for years, then didn't even let the two characters hug when one of them was about to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1586010056184717313