Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
With the immature crap that RTD gave us the first time around, I'm not sure a filter isn't a bad thing.

I take the good with the bad with Who (my favorite is Capaldi and boy some of the moral messages in his run were awful!) but one look at RTD's campy mess of concrete blowjobs and farting aliens and I'm not going to say "oh no, Disney is going to ruin it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Who is a good fit for Disney because it's always been the BBCs attempt to make a big budget Disney-esq family show anyway.

The thing that'll be interesting to see is gay representation. Who was always good at that, particularly in RTD's first run at a time when that definitely wasn't as common in prime time TV as it is now. How is he going to react when one of his characters gets edited out when it's shown in Dubai. Or if they're too key to the plot to cut, how is Disney going to react when they can't show the episode they've paid good money for in the places they want to?

I'm guessing that's all already negotiated, but it'll be interesting to see the results.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

happyhippy posted:

US Doctor Who will have a sonic shotgun.
Tardis changed from a phone box to a winnebago

They'll fit guns to the outside of the Tardis - "I used to hate guns, but its the only way to protect spacetime freedom"

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Craptacular! posted:

With the immature crap that RTD gave us the first time around, I'm not sure a filter isn't a bad thing.

I take the good with the bad with Who (my favorite is Capaldi and boy some of the moral messages in his run were awful!) but one look at RTD's campy mess of concrete blowjobs and farting aliens and I'm not going to say "oh no, Disney is going to ruin it."

As a staunch ELO fan, seeing a good, heavy dose of ELO music splashed throughout a Doctor Who episode... Yeah, it's going to take more than a concrete BJ to ruin that for me!

People who don't like Love & Monsters don't like ELO enough IMHO :colbert:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The farting aliens don't even come close to ruining those episodes for me. It's probably nostalgia talking but I go back and look at series 1 now and it's wall to wall bangers. You don't even hit episodes I don't much feel like rewatching until series 3 and even then, it's only the first half or so. And it's not like they weren't fun the first time through.

It's been so long since Doctor Who was so consistently good...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The farting isn't the problem so much as the grotesque hatred of fat people whilst Eccleston was battling an eating disorder.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dabir posted:

The farting aliens don't even come close to ruining those episodes for me. It's probably nostalgia talking but I go back and look at series 1 now and it's wall to wall bangers. You don't even hit episodes I don't much feel like rewatching until series 3 and even then, it's only the first half or so. And it's not like they weren't fun the first time through.

It's been so long since Doctor Who was so consistently good...

I think it probably is a hint of nostalgia talking. No series of modern who doesnt have at least a couple of bad episodes. Even series 5 (objectively the best series of nu who) has that awful chibnell-written siluran two parter that you skip 90% of on a rewatch (you watch them getting out the tardis at the start of the first part, then skip to the last 5 minutes of the second). Series 1 has a couple of clunkers, maybe not awful depending on personal taste but not particularly good either. He got away with it at the time because when you have the first new Doctor Who after almost a decade, who's going to be the party pooper who says "None of these slytheen episodes are particularly great, and why do we have a robot anne robinson? Do we think thats a pop-culture reference that will remain current?".

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Doctor Who twitter queerbaiting Yaz+13s relationship via fanart.

Yaz, and Dan, didn't even get a farewell hug. :jiggled:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It's me, I'm the guy who lost interest when Capaldi became the doctor.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SiKboy posted:

I think it probably is a hint of nostalgia talking. No series of modern who doesnt have at least a couple of bad episodes. Even series 5 (objectively the best series of nu who) has that awful chibnell-written siluran two parter that you skip 90% of on a rewatch (you watch them getting out the tardis at the start of the first part, then skip to the last 5 minutes of the second). Series 1 has a couple of clunkers, maybe not awful depending on personal taste but not particularly good either. He got away with it at the time because when you have the first new Doctor Who after almost a decade, who's going to be the party pooper who says "None of these slytheen episodes are particularly great, and why do we have a robot anne robinson? Do we think thats a pop-culture reference that will remain current?".

The Slitheen episodes are on the whole bad and probably beyond a rewrite's power to save, but doing an Iraq War satire and killing Tony Blair is probably the correct level of cheekiness for a show in 2005. And the follow-up has this gem of an exchange hidden deep within a cloud of flatulence. That's why people look back on a lot of Who so fondly, I think; there are always these little nuggets of gold in the most barren of wells.

Also the Anne-droid rules, that whole episode is the dumbest satire and I love it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Is she sucking the regeneration energy out of 13's eyeball so she doesn't change?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

sean10mm posted:

You're missing out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysn7sMWjQ4g

"Pope Bendict said you were more in need of confession than any man breathing, but when the offer was made you replied it would 'take too much time'."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

The farting isn't the problem so much as the grotesque hatred of fat people whilst Eccleston was battling an eating disorder.

So you enjoyed the episodes until just a few years ago, when this news went public?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I mean, the grotesque attitudes towards fat people were always way more the problem than the scatological element. That's just not very funny.

But yes, Eccleston's eating disorder puts this in a new light and probably contributes to his choice to leave.

Anyway there's good material down in them, and I can attest to that because I literally watched them today. Harriet is great, the stuff with the pig and the Iraq metaphor are both cutting. It's good when it isn't evil.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

sean10mm posted:

I've got a friend who did, and while he's coming back around now, it was for the sort of simple, understandable reason I could never fully refute: just that he likes Doctor Who for being at its core a friendly show about a friendly person, and he didn't think that felt like what he'd get from Peter Capaldi.

I can never argue that, because he was absolutely right. Capaldi's a wonderful, friendly man in real life, but you don't hire him to play a nice guy, and thry didn't.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

SiKboy posted:

No series of modern who doesnt have at least a couple of bad episodes.

I don't think there are any bad episodes in season 4. (Unless you count Voyage of the Damned as part of that season).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
rear end in a top hat Doctor is my favorite flavor of the character.

C.Bakes and Capaldi excel when they're being dicks.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SecretOfSteel posted:

They'll fit guns to the outside of the Tardis - "I used to hate guns, but its the only way to protect spacetime freedom"
America already made a Doctor Who and it was about two teenagers in a phone booth telling everybody they should be excellent to each other.

And aside from calling each other the F-slur once, it was glorious.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Narsham posted:

Also, here's "Ncuti Gatwa's Guide to Doctor Who": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o16_t55uwI

I love his wandering accent, there’s RP, Scots, Rwandan in there, and it’s great. Do we really need to sit through 3 eps of Tennant first? :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

I love his wandering accent, there’s RP, Scots, Rwandan in there, and it’s great. Do we really need to sit through 3 eps of Tennant first? :allears:

You mean three glorious episodes of Donna and Wilf.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:hmmyes:

Wilf’s presence is going to make me cry though.

‘For Bernard - 1928-2022’ :gbsmith:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Rhyno posted:

rear end in a top hat Doctor is my favorite flavor of the character.

C.Bakes and Capaldi excel when they're being dicks.

I'm partial to a Chessmaster Doctor style myself. Dunno if they'll bring that back.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

'You pushed me too far' Doctor is best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P44SezQ2gzE

The_Doctor posted:

:hmmyes:

Wilf’s presence is going to make me cry though.

‘For Bernard - 1928-2022’ :gbsmith:

:unsmith: Well at least Tennant doesn't need to worry about 4 knocks anymore

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
None of the plotting not really making any sense doesn't really bother me about power, it was there to give us a fun nostalgic ride, and give space for the characters to do what they needed to do, which it mostly did...

...apart from the yaz doctor ending which seemed sort of flat at rushed both in universe and as a viewer.

Does anyone else think maybe yaz was originally supposed to die in an earlier draft? There's the line about ghosting Dan early on, which seemed a bit foreshadowy, and consequences of the doctor making her a soldier with taking the gun would make sense.

I've only had time to watch it the once so probs talking bollocks.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

LividLiquid posted:

America already made a Doctor Who and it was about two teenagers in a phone booth telling everybody they should be excellent to each other.

And aside from calling each other the F-slur once, it was glorious.

Would I literally kill a man to see this crossover? Maybe, maybe not, I don't know but the fact that I'm not personally sure should say a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hiatus thread up