Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

:same: but in my case I'm totally over him. Let him go already, everybody. I'm sure he loves returning to the role every decade but let's get this Ncuti ball rolling.

This time, Tennant regenerates when, after saying "I don't want to go" again, he gets suddenly throttled by the Capaldi Doctor shouting "Let the Doctor go!"

Also, here's "Ncuti Gatwa's Guide to Doctor Who": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o16_t55uwI

Really looking forward to him.

The_Doctor posted:

Finally got to watch, and wow, what an absolute mess. Things just happen one after another with very little lead through or inciting incident.

It was a mess, but at least it was a mess with some redeeming characteristics. That's clearly the best to hope for out of Chibnall, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Narsham posted:

If you want to recast Three, Sean Pertwee is right there.

Two is probably a forlorn hope, though. Not that it wouldn’t be in character for Two to stay in the background.

I bet Mark Gatiss sends an email to Chibnall/RTD once a month along the lines of "Wow, David Bradley sure worked out great! Remember how I dressed as Three for An Adventure In Space And Time?"

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Narsham posted:

The pictures weren't stolen to conceal that the Master was now appearing in them, were they, because UNIT had pictures just like LOTS OF PEOPLE ON THE loving PLANET would, so what was the point, where are the paintings

See, this bit I feel like is just slightly wonky delivery rather than a hole, because I had the same misconception for quite probably the same reason – the stuff Ace was told was true, they really were just taken down for restoration (on account of they're not supposed to have Rasputin in them). It was just played in a way that really felt like that was supposed to be an obvious lie, and separated too far from the later reveal for people to remember exactly what was said.

Otherwise though yeah, pretty much agree - full of holes, but also some real great bits, and overall still very fun, which leaves it a lot higher up the list than a lot of other recent stories.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mameluke posted:

I bet Mark Gatiss sends an email to Chibnall/RTD once a month along the lines of "Wow, David Bradley sure worked out great! Remember how I dressed as Three for An Adventure In Space And Time?"
Sean Pertwee or nobody. :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

LividLiquid posted:

Sean Pertwee or nobody. :colbert:

:hmmyes:

And definitely not Sheersmith as Troughton either.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

David Bradley just doesn't do it as the First for me

He lacks Hartnell's expressiveness - his face is too stern

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Bradley looks like Richard Hurndall more than Hartnell.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Parting of the Ways is so loving good y'all

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm a bit mixed on Tennant returning. Obviously there's some kind of twist, but hopefully the 14th Doctor isn't just the 10th Doctor again. Sometimes I found 10 a bit...annoying? Then again, I don't really like Donna, and I'm very much in the minority on that.

Like I said about the "I don't want to go" line, there were a lot of casual fans who dropped the show when Tennant left, or will complain about the show 'not being as good'. I've even had a few people tell me they refuse point blank to watch the Calpaldi episodes! Tennant is a good actor, and his love of the franchise is commendable, but we've already had loads of 10th Doctor content. Obviously most people aren't going to be rushing out to buy his occasional Big Finish material, but its not like there's never going to be more 10th Doctor content. It looks like he's playing 14 as more reserved, which is nice. Interesting that the BBC are calling him the 14th Doctor outright, rather than giving him another title....

It would have been amazing if the reveal hadn't been spoiled, but I suppose it was easier than trying to cover up the exterior shoots for the specials.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

OldMemes posted:

I'm a bit mixed on Tennant returning. Obviously there's some kind of twist, but hopefully the 14th Doctor isn't just the 10th Doctor again. Sometimes I found 10 a bit...annoying? Then again, I don't really like Donna, and I'm very much in the minority on that.

Like I said about the "I don't want to go" line, there were a lot of casual fans who dropped the show when Tennant left, or will complain about the show 'not being as good'. I've even had a few people tell me they refuse point blank to watch the Calpaldi episodes! Tennant is a good actor, and his love of the franchise is commendable, but we've already had loads of 10th Doctor content. Obviously most people aren't going to be rushing out to buy his occasional Big Finish material, but its not like there's never going to be more 10th Doctor content. It looks like he's playing 14 as more reserved, which is nice. Interesting that the BBC are calling him the 14th Doctor outright, rather than giving him another title....

It would have been amazing if the reveal hadn't been spoiled, but I suppose it was easier than trying to cover up the exterior shoots for the specials.

What's struck me is that, during Jodie's run, it looks like there was a lot of pressure from the BBC to push 10th Doctor stuff as a way to prop up the brand, as if all of the sexist manchildren complaining about her were more representative of the fanbase as a whole than they were. So it seemed like, anytime there was a 13th Doctor book or comic or video game or whatever, 10 would have to be part of it too, or there'd be a corresponding 10th Doctor title launched alongside or soon after. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just felt like there was a glut of 10th Doctor stuff being released the last few years in a way that hadn't been there during Smith or Capaldi's run.

And that has definitely helped push further 10 fatigue, at least on my side. I know that Tennant will only be hanging around for a few specials and then will hopefully disappear again for a long while on the show proper (I'm sure he'll still pop up in Big Finish occasionally), but I'm kind of tired of 10 being so present. Hopefully Ncuti gets a chance to be the Doctor first and foremost during his tenure and the BBC doesn't try to undercut him with so much past Doctor merch and presence. But if his first year doesn't do a big turnaround from the Chibnall era numbers I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't continue, sadly.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Vinylshadow posted:

David Bradley just doesn't do it as the First for me

He lacks Hartnell's expressiveness - his face is too stern

I think there's a reason Bradley is known for playing villains. His One looks like a man actively trying to act nice, while Hartnell acts like a man actively trying to act serious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still think every so often about the time Sean Pertwee dressed up as his dad for Halloween:

https://twitter.com/dwmtweets/status/1143206827963891713

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Didn’t Sean say he’d do it if he was asked?

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Class3KillStorm posted:

What's struck me is that, during Jodie's run, it looks like there was a lot of pressure from the BBC to push 10th Doctor stuff as a way to prop up the brand, as if all of the sexist manchildren complaining about her were more representative of the fanbase as a whole than they were. So it seemed like, anytime there was a 13th Doctor book or comic or video game or whatever, 10 would have to be part of it too, or there'd be a corresponding 10th Doctor title launched alongside or soon after. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just felt like there was a glut of 10th Doctor stuff being released the last few years in a way that hadn't been there during Smith or Capaldi's run.

This sort of thing also started happening in 2020 during Series 12, which just so happened to have lots of plot points and characters recycled from the Tennant years. The Master is back and is a cackling maniac! Gallifrey is destroyed! Here's the Judoon! And Captain Jack! And a Time Lord who used a chameleon arch and has their memory trapped in a fob watch!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I don't think any of that was due to attempts to appease whiny manchildren, so much as it was the BBC desperately attempting to flag NuWho's sagging ratings by trying to remind people of its most popular star, just as they're doing now. I'm going to guess Tennant is getting an entire season as the 14th Doctor before the new guy takes over, so they can try to make the show a pop culture juggernaut once more (and likely lead into a spinoff series with 10 and Donna, since RTD has said he wants to turn Doctor Who into an MCU-style franchise).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Class3KillStorm posted:

And that has definitely helped push further 10 fatigue, at least on my side. I know that Tennant will only be hanging around for a few specials and then will hopefully disappear again for a long while on the show proper (I'm sure he'll still pop up in Big Finish occasionally), but I'm kind of tired of 10 being so present. Hopefully Ncuti gets a chance to be the Doctor first and foremost during his tenure and the BBC doesn't try to undercut him with so much past Doctor merch and presence. But if his first year doesn't do a big turnaround from the Chibnall era numbers I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't continue, sadly.

Look at it this way. This is RTD getting 10 out of his system straight away. This was always going to happen. Might as well knock it out now.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Astroman posted:

Look at it this way. This is RTD getting 10 out of his system straight away. This was always going to happen. Might as well knock it out now.

I think most of us saw the direction things were headed in the moment Tennant started saying in interviews "yeah I wouldn't mind returning to play the Doctor" shortly after it was announced that RTD was coming back as showrunner.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I would love to get RTD writing Matt Smith, the one story he did with him for Sarah Jane Adventures was a ton of fun. But I'd also love to see him writing for Whittaker and I think he could do some neat stuff with Capaldi too.

But then that might take time away from the now 100% confirmed, guaranteed and PERSONALLY promised 8th Doctor Adventures television series he is DEFINITELY writing too!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
TBH isn't this partly an availability thing? Gatwa is filming Sex Education and Barbie, he's not got time to take centre stage in next year's episodes (which are already in the can).

I mean, also he is in the upcoming episodes. Next season looks like it's some sort of multi Doctor thing with Tennant vs Gatwa.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

So I have started watching this show again after a long break (I got sidetracked midway through Jodie's second series and just never managed to get back to it til now), and I just finished The Timeless Children. Jodie Whittaker continues to be an amazing Doctor, but what was Chris Chibnall thinking with his pseudo Cartmel Masterplan poo poo? Absolutely baffling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was the worst, it was stupid, and it was so bad that even Chibnall basically decided to memoryhole it and try to move on without referencing it anymore than he had to. Just ludicrous poo poo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

It was the worst, it was stupid, and it was so bad that even Chibnall basically decided to memoryhole it and try to move on without referencing it anymore than he had to. Just ludicrous poo poo.

TBH I think he just got gunshy when forced to do anything with his mystery box. Which is mostly thr same as what Moffat did with a bunch of his mystery box plots, so it's not like there isn't precedent.

It's not gone entirely, they reference that plot during the regeneration ep, but ya know.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Doctor being an orphan abused by the aristocracy and the Time Lords turning out to be nothing more than thieves and liars propped up by the abuse of another race are loving incredible ideas that should have been done by a better showrunner.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

The Doctor being an orphan abused by the aristocracy and the Time Lords turning out to be nothing more than thieves and liars propped up by the abuse of another race are loving incredible ideas that should have been done by a better showrunner.

At risk of becoming a parody of myself*... the former stuff about being an orphan is new, but the latter bolded section is actually so old Doctor Who's done it twice. In the NAs Marc Platt played was very explicit about the idea (drawing on The Brain Of Morbius) and several other writers ran with the concept, including Lawrence Miles and Dave Stone. The NAs conceived of the anchoring of the web of time as a form of temporal colonisation, and the immutability of history was effectively just a sociological construct used to maintain and justify the timelords wiping out alternative forms of life / chronology. Any remaining powers from the Dark Times were dismissed as occult magic, and therefore fundamentally opposed to Rassilon's "scientific" way of viewing the universe.

The arc basically runs all the way through the NAs and into the EDAs, whereby the destruction of Gallifrey leads to the elimination of Timelord control, and the subsequent return of magic to the Doctor Who universe, along with various different temporal civil wars, etc.

Later on Gary Russell / Alan Barnes aggressively ripped all that off for Zagreus through to The Next Life, but in a more simplified context and without all the Manifest Destiny subtext.

(*People find this kind of stuff interesting, right? I'm not some sort of canon lord, I mostly just share this stuff because I think it's interesting. And sometimes because people ARE WRONG ON THE INTERNET.)

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't exactly explode the established canon that the Doctor used to be an operative for the Celestial Intervention Agency that got memory wiped, and yeah you could argue that the Brain of Morbius set the stage for that decades ago. But making the Doctor essentially the literal Other that helped start Time Lord society is not something I wanted to see realized on screen, and I doubt even Andrew Cartmel is happy about it.

Revolution of the Daleks is proving to be a good episode to get the bad taste out of it so far. Say what you want about Barrowman, Jack Harkness is always great to have back.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

LividLiquid posted:

That stuff is good, but I really hate the idea of the Doctor being somebody inherently special and as you say the execution was awful.

I tossed out the idea that Susan is the Timeless Child offhand a while ago and the more I think about it, the better I like it. It's one of the more additive retcons you could possibly do. The Doctor stealing the Hand of Omega on their way out of Gallifrey was just a cover for getting Susan away from the Time Lords. They leave Susan behind after they start traveling around time and space again, presumably attracting the attention of Gallifrey. Plus, you'd have the opportunity for a whole series of them running around with Jo Martin!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Someone on Twitter said "imagine if she regenerated into McGann at the end of the episode". Would have been amazing, and now I'm all bitter. Shouldn't read Twitter I guess.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

SecretOfSteel posted:

Someone on Twitter said "imagine if she regenerated into McGann at the end of the episode". Would have been amazing, and now I'm all bitter. Shouldn't read Twitter I guess.

"I know these shoes..."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I really hope RTD goes whole hog on the MCU format and we get an 8th Doctor series.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Forktoss posted:

"I know these shoes..."

"I know this wig..."

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can I just point out what a conceptually dumb concept the Cyber Masters are once you apply any kind of logic to them? Like I get that they're meant to be Immortal Cybermen or whatever, but they're still using Timelords as a base

"Oh no the Cyber Masters are regenerating!"
"Come here privates, stand over each of them, and then shoot them everytime time they regenerate. You may need to do this up to 12 times."

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
"What if we combined two different races with the ability to survive beyond death. That would be cool right"

"Oh yeah! and what if one of them was capable of incredible technological feats that defy time, space, and causality and once engaged in a war that threatened all of reality, that has loads of possibility"

"...I have no idea what you mean, I just figured they'd stomp around and, like, not die a little more than average"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The interesting things about the Cyber Time Lords for me are more subtle, which is disappointing for how strong those ideas could've been, but I still end up liking them in action.

The designs are really interesting, and I actually like that despite the purely robotic face and voice, they actually do come off as tangibly more smug and brash than the Cybermen usually are entirely through body language and word choice. Regular Cybermen have an air of inevitability about both their actions and demeanor, that they'll delete and convert people because that's just what happens, but the Cyber Time Lords KNOW they're hot poo poo. It's a level and type of confidence that you rarely see in the show; they're self-assured, but just quietly confident about it rather than the overt jingoism of the Daleks or the cackling self-aggrandizement of the Master.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

Didn’t Sean say he’d do it if he was asked?

From what I remember is he'd be happy to do an episode of Who, but the Doctor was his dad's role, and he has no interest in playing him.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
https://twitter.com/jfmouthonlegs/status/1585540362415775745?s=20&t=qlXkW8XRGMsbMDuMY6juaA

If we go by TV alone, and "met" means "shared screen with" and not just "was in the same episode as" (and if we count different regenerations and not different actors playing the Doctor), by my count the record* is shared by Tegan and Sarah Jane with seven Doctors for both (1-6 and 13 for Tegan, 1-5, 10 and 11 for Sarah).

* I'm not counting Clara, because that's a special case (and mostly stand-ins and archival footage).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Love that Tegan is kind of stunned and a little irritated by 13 but mostly just going with the flow, but the moment she meets "5" again she almost immediately starts giving him poo poo :allears:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Speaking of old companions, I was incredibly impressed when I found out who Ian was - as I don't watch a lot of old-Who

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm hoping the Time Lords get restored at some point, even if its only an off world group who have to recolonise Gallifrey. The Master killing them all offscreen felt like it really underminded Moffat's work, and closes down a lot of story opportunities.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

I'm hoping the Time Lords get restored at some point, even if its only an off world group who have to recolonise Gallifrey. The Master killing them all offscreen felt like it really underminded Moffat's work, and closes down a lot of story opportunities.

The Doctor also seems entirely indifferent to the idea, which was really weird.

Infinitum posted:

Speaking of old companions, I was incredibly impressed when I found out who Ian was - as I don't watch a lot of old-Who

Ian ruled, his interactions with the 1st Doctor were great, first as a rival for leadership/authority in the group, which then quickly mellowed into happy familiarity and amusement at each other's foibles. He'd been a leading man in a series about Sir Lancelot in the 50s but he was pushing what would be considered middle-aged when he got cast in Doctor Who, where he was supposed to be young enough to be handsome, charming and do the bulk of the physical work but also old enough to be taken seriously as an authority figure. That was almost 60 years ago and he's still going strong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

OldMemes posted:

For me it really undermines this entire scene in the 50th.

Hurts soft spoken delivery of "....thank you" breaks me inside every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24jbDasdeEU

Probably a top 5 moment or me.