Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't think the phrase "worst Doctor" even makes sense, is it like "15th best Doctor" for pessimists or something else? Surely the worst Doctors are characters who aren't even the Doctor or even on the show at all and there are easily dozens of such people.

edit:

How incredibly bizarre. Does Eve have a story outside the narratives made between the player fleet dramas? Who are the two characters in that image? Can you walk around as a person or anything in EVE, or is this just gunna be a Dalek spaceship thrown in some random place? The comments from EVE fans reveal a lot of anger with the company and they seem equally lost as to what this is meant to be.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I tend to tune out a bit during Daleks eps just because they are so loud and always say the same things but I've done so many groundhogs day movies and games recently anyway that I was happy seeing a Dalek version. Fun adventure, big Doctory speech, good. Aisling Bea was also a good fit. The Yaz crush was a little odd to pull now of all times since their main relationship lately is The Doctor lying, being dismissive, and refusing to share information with her but if Yaz is around for RTD 2.0 guess they can get a bit of a reset on 13's issues there. I guess time in pretty meaningless for the Doctor and everyone grieves on their own timescales but lost their wife only a lifetime ago.

Vinylshadow posted:

What would your ideal 60th Anniversary be?

1) clean the TARDIS windows so we can actually see inside and prove it's bigger inside and not just a scam

2) scene where three Doctors stacked in a trenchcoat successfully scare off of the Master by puffing and appearing much larger and dangerous than normal

3) Doctors meet Jesus and finally get right with God

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

The Doctor once took Leonardo Da Vinci to Bethlehem (at his insistence) around 0BC, although Da Vinci then refused to go anywhere near the manger (Eighth Doctor Adventures Series 4: Relative Dimensions)

Growing up my dad had us listen to a lot of christian media and there was a radio show we liked called Adventures in Odyssey. Old Man whitaker ran a christian soda shop or something and in the back he had a time-machine that was just supposed to be an "imagination station" but IIRC sometimes they really were going into bible times like a real time machine? I vaguely recall one where some kids went to see Jesus shortly before crucifixion and they were trying to save him but instead kept learning why the bad stuff happening was important. They didn't go the Rosa route where he has to help crucify Jesus to preserve bible history, but I probably wouldn't have noticed back then either.

I know they would never do it for so many reasons, but I think if anyone could pull off Jesus as a companion or character and tell a heartwarming secular and humane story without being it evangelizing christianity, it'd be DW.

Also lol a DaVinci begging to go see baby jesus but then too shy to go peek. Genius move would be to bring a gift and get yourself in the good book canon.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Has the Doctor ever had a Dalek companion for a season? There have been goodish Daleks but they almost always get killed, turned evil, die fighting or sacrificing themselves, etc. Replacing trenchcoat doctors on my 60th anniversary wishlist with Dalek companion. Danielle the Dalek, maybe even sparks of romance-- from greatest enemy to greatest love. Of course the Daleks have just figured out the only way to defeat the Doctor is through their heart but... Danielle's feelings are real afterall :cry:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dongicus posted:

They've had one of those silence guys as a companion for years

Yes, I love this and can headcanon it anytime I want, maybe I already have and forgot. Really if you think about it, Silence companion would be an incredibly useful for the Doctor's line of... meddling? It's not a job but you know.

Robert J. Omb posted:

I’d forgotten how much fun Smith’s era was…

Doctor Who actually seems to have a bunch of fun designs for the various alien spaceships. It's interesting that sort of thing doesn't seem important to the fandom, compared to star trek at least where every ship detail is scrutinized and it's almost always "wrong." Still that shot of all the ships approaching the planet had a lot of variety and looked better than a certain infamous shot in Picard with a bunch of the same ship copy-pasted all over. I had also forgotten Handles, what a fine fella (IIRC Handles sets the reminder to the Doctor a ??? years in the future right, something like that i feel like it comes up to save the day in a hopeless moment).

Robert J. Omb posted:

…and how sad…

This one had me sad but then I watched the next clip with old 11 and Clara reading the christmas cracker joke now I've shed a weird lunchtime tear

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And there's the Blue Coat that's used for Big Finish a lot of the time, which first appeared in the animated story Real Time in 2002, included because the animation wasn't sophisticated enough to render the normal suit:

I love this! Looks comfy and magical.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Weren't they trying to reboot Buffy? I can totally see Doctor fitting into a Buffy crossover adventure and ten years ago I'd think it was a fruitless pipe dream but these days everything's slapping metaverses together and companies are a little more eager to take ownership of meme things using their IP.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zaroff posted:

The trouble with that whole calendar thing is that they stole the image online without contacting the original artist.

Which is pretty lovely, and depending on how widespread the calendar was released could get them in trouble were the artist particularly litigious...

Would be an interesting case considering the original artist here just took two copyrighted images and put one into the other.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
IIRC the cartoons looked really really bad. Where are they cobbling them together from anyway, just scripts and things? Hopefully the source material is at least released since I don't thin kthe cartoon was the appeal here so much as getting those lost episodes back in some form.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
that's perfect! squeeze it into the next special, and may doctor ever have to stand alone again

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is that news in general not just bad news in general for programming? For such a tiny island there's a disproportionate amount of media I enjoy from them. It also seemed expressly good to have a media outfit with an imposed mission to serve various demographics of the people instead of just whoever is most profitably targeted. Doctor Who is a big enough Thing I'm sure it'll be fine either way, but geez, kind of seems like a dark herald for the end of an era, no? There's shockingly little "public" anythings in the world left, and seems like a lot of the quality and atmosphere of BBC shows stemmed directly from not being beholden to the same oppressive homogenizing forces capitalism has on nearly all other media. UK cutting off its face to spite its own nose far too often past many years.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ends with another Eleven clone going to live with Jessica Rabbit in the cartoon universe.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If nothing else I think a Roger Rabbit style "portable hole" is something they could give the Doctor without bringing in a cartoon universe. He already has a terrifying House of Leaves spaceship, might as well give him the portable hole, at the very least a Bag of Holding.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
anytime I try to discuss media I like outside of this website I feel like I'm steppin into a bizarro world where everyone is really mad about everything, can't take or make a joke, and wild swings between things you're never allowed to criticize in the slightest or that in unforgiveable to even argue isn't all bad.

Davros1 posted:

In the 60s comics, the First Doctor absolutely had a Bag of Holding

Comics can sometimes surprisingly be good continuations of shows, the Buffy ones my mom had I read I remember being pretty good. I should check the Who comics out sometime.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
that dvd release is pretty cool but I wish the extra features and such were just put online. My computer doesn't even have a disc/dvd drive anymore. I love that they got Peri back for this little ad, you think there's any chance she might meet up with a new Doctor, maybe even 13?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Only the living? Disney already shattered the veil of forcing the dead into working in media, perhaps RTDs new era will have the budget for us to get Ooops! All Doctors Who(And companions).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"We are the Doctors Who" is a good gang-introduction when you're rolling with a squad 13-15 doctors deep.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haven't seen that before and got a genuinely laugh out of me

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Got a disturbing clickbait article this morning saying Jodie had been snubbed for her regeneration and that they were just going to reboot the entire thing from scratch. Later in the article Jodie mentions how emotional it was filming her final regeneration scene. So I don't know what to make of this dumbass article that worked on me to click it, but surely the idea of rebooting Doctor Who is franchise suicide, right? Especially since the show literally already has every tool to reboot itself whenever it needs to while also maintaining a wibbly wobbly time continuity.

Then again, Chibs did destroy the universe and hasn't seemed to really repair it and maybe RTD is having him let that fly because they'll want the universe destroyed so they can swing the reboot angle?

Speaking for myself as only a mid-level Doctor Who nerd, half of the things that excite me or that I have questions, theories, fantasies about involve the immense backlog of characters and stories. It's a lot of fun when old and new lores collide and it's even more fun to just imagine the crossings over given the nature of time & space travel. Oh I wonder if Clara ever met the Doctor during this event, oh I wonder Peri has been up to for decades, oh what the gently caress is that alien and why acting like it's some hot shot I should know, oh i wonder if the doctor would ever rip off his head and replace it with a snowman and go around spooking mean snowmen aliens and someones like yeah they did that in the doctor who manga in 1964 -- it's great!

Doing a reboot or even a twisted Disney canon-mulching seems like a bad move for Who. I get clean slate easier to jump on for a newbie, but the slate being a mess IS the slate.

I just want someone to put hand on my shoulder and tell me it'll all be alright and they'd better not look into the middle distance thinking about what they aren't telling me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Honestly that's really reassuring. And really if half my universe were destroyed it'll definitely take more than my lifetime to even notice, unless they destroyed my part specifically and even then who knows and even more who knows if I'd knows.

SiKboy posted:

A lot of people would tune in... once. Theres no way a nostalgia tour holds its ratings past the initial curiosity. If all you want is the one off nostalgia pop then do a multi doctor story.

Theres no way.

Also very much shame on me for clicking the google click baits, maybe not a smart way to wake up in the mornings to see during morning pee anyhow. Half the time it's clickbait for stuff we already talked about in this very forum days before, the other half are google searches coming back to plague me, I wanted to look up someone, not subscribe to their fart reports. Good observation about the article sources too, seems obvious now but wasn't even looking before and that very much explains the like spiteful tone to it all.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think that's just the ever burning conflict between Horny Doctor advocates and Asexual Doctor advocates.

I see both sides of the matter and I just go by a companion-to-companion basis. I feel The Doctor is either/both a person sometimes seconds old and they die after several years (or infinity) and also one of immeasurable ancientness, one of the oldest of the old. I think it's weird when vampires hit on young humans, and usually also when a Doctor does it. On the other hand, not a lot of gallifreyans around, even fewer of his age, even fewer of his age who don't want to kill them or the universe. Some companions I think are "cosmic" enough to be non-yucky dating partners. River, Jack, Clara, maybe Rory I kind of forget if he did a lot of just stood round the tomb for ages in boring stasis. It's when he finds some teenager just out of school unsure what to do with their lives and Doctor swoops in that it's a bit weird to me. I love Rose and all, but the dynamic will always give me that kind of ooh creepy ol Zeus coming down as a goose to gently caress some geese kinda poo poo. Reckon the oops-all-human Doctor copy kind of dodges around the matter, maybe, idk.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My first thought then and now was Doctor should've been banging Rose's mom, who was extremely d2f and more appropriate a partner. Also Rose's mom would've been a fantastic companion, leave Rose home to find a proper earth partner, Rose's mom already had a kid and lived a life and is due for a galactic opening.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Consider also how little we know of Gallifreyan biology, no telling which innocent touches or glances are actually sexually explicit actions. Rubbing a Ferengi's ears is pretty raunchy but you might never know if you're just a naive human. Doctor also has quite the psychic connection to the TARDIS, could be anytime someone steps in and out of that thing Doc gets a tickle.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No reason to do romance or flirting if they won't go full penne anyhow. When the Doctor didn't even try to make a move on Lady Cassandra I knew forever this was a tease show and would never deliver.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why don't they simply make the doctor a kind of vtuber or avatar entity they can rig to animate and never have to worry about who is "playing" the doctor

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Everything in this world and life is an exercise of watching things do downhill, I can't let that slow me down or I'd get nothing done or watched.

Kerblam! would be a great name for an episode if it were a great episode, sounds like an extremely british onomatopoeia and would never confuse it for something else.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Huh? It's not like it hurts to watch bad things or that I can't enjoy things just because they suck rear end or get enjoyment joking about the thing with others. I suck rear end too but I still persist and have a good time. Good things aren't actually any better than bad things, they're all things to be experienced and good things can't do what bad things do. p.s. sorry boutcha mortality but I am invincible and cannot die.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I quit Star Wars because I had a ton of love for it but after literally my entire life releasing worse and worse Star Warses there was enough friction to derail me entirely.

I'm not saying I watched Chibnall who to laugh at it, I watched it because it's Doctor Who and I like seeing what folks are doing with Doctor Who. Doubly so because Who canon means anything may or may not come up again, nice to know the history as we go. It's not like it was all so abjectly bad start to finish it was miserable for me to watch, there's a sloppy mix of good bad mediocre almost great and terrible. Also the opportunity cost is low, I'm usually some _something_ and while doing something I like put on something else, 45 minutes of that being a mediocre Doctor Who episode really doesn't seem like something I need to be concerned about for as many sentences as we've already typed about it.

Besides liking something is entirely divorced from quality. Some of my favourite things are lovely.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
you effectively hedge your bets by never just sitting down and looking at a screen nonstop while it's on. show on one screen, your drawing/game/work/chat on the others. of course making sure you are high is also paramount to enjoying 100% of your life regardless of quality what is happening in it or not.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"Don't pay attention to the entertainment you consume" is certainly a novel take

I mean I'm saying pay attention to more than one thing but I guess not everyone works the same way. My buddy has us rewind entire scenes if anyone is talking, which is fine, but like, I feel like I still caught the entire scene even while the talking was going on. There are definitely times and media where I sit in a dark room and watch it and nothing else but idk I can't sit still doing nothing for that long before getting squirmy wanting to do something with my hands. Videogames are rarely so engrossing start to finish so as to demand rapt attention the entire time if I'm fumbling through menus/loot and doing whatever mechanics for game money/xp, and a show or podcast while playing is just a nice way to enjoy two arts at once. This weekend I was playing two different pokemon games with the same controller inputs for a while lol. As you said, only a finite amount of time, reckon watching two medias while also not burning time being too discerning nets more time spent enjoying more things I enjoy in life lol.

Drawing and 3d modeling likewise bounce between high-attention tasks and more mindless ones that need be done but free my attention.

In any case, outside of Chibnalls run not being so great, NuWho is my jam I love all this stuff so it has nothing to do with my attention management I just think it's neat and good Who. It's the old Who I am interested in just because it's Who, not any nostalgic attachment. My favourite Doctor tends to be the one I'm watching. Actually I think some of my favourite doc/companion/showrunner combos were vilified before Chibnall become so widely disliked.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Big Finish is bringing back the "Doctor Who- Unbound" series. However it looks like the BBC's edict of not allowing them to cast new actors as the Doctor still stands, so they're taking a different approach to this ...

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-of-war-rewrites-history

Introducing Colin Baker as ... THE WAR DOCTOR.

I'm guessing John Hurt ain't interested in the work? From the blurb though I suppose I don't have any issues with War Doctor having other aspects played by other Doctors, they're all the same person and it's sensible central nexus for their various pathoses.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Um, I hate to be the one to tell you this but John Hurt passed away 5 years ago.

aaah that comments makes a lot more sense now. rest well dude.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Rose returns, but as the series villain, hellbent on getting herself a proper timelord boyfriend who won't die horrifically after a few months.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I thought people liked Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures. OH right. Doctor who. Everyone loves and hates every part in equal measure. Every episode both zenith and nadir.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whoatse that thing behind them? Radical Cyberman modernization or just copy pasted from a videogame?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Doctor Whordle 3 4/6

⬜️⬜️⬜️🟧⬜️clara
⬜️🟧🟧⬜️🟧prose
⬜️⬜️🟦🟦⬜️angel
🟦🟦🟦🟦🟦roger (purely a guess fro mavailable letters, had no idea what whoroger was before they told me)

The hardest part is just thinking of Who specific 5 letter things.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
slings his dick on people on set

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
man im probably 25 seasons behind on sesame street. i would say it's wild today but sesame street has always been wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSHtgvtKcPs

aha secret doctor revealed

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 12, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Elmo talk show sounds like torture as a kid who loved/loves sesame/muppets but got sick of Elmo during the Elmo's Hellworld era. Had two diff siblings on different sides of the family who loved Elmo, couldn't escape him for a while. I don't really hate Elmo like I did when that toy was going off all the time unasked, but I guess there's some fun to put all your negativity into one cute muppet since everything around it is so loveable. Good to know HBO era has improved even as a double-edged sword of the slow death of public access media. Don't have any kiddos around these days to check in on the street but I appreciated your check-in perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if you didn't link that in this context, never would've guessed any of those were Who related from the cover art alone.

also lol