Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Also: Hugh Grant worked with RTD on a Very British Scandal, it's possible he might want to work with him again.
(That being said, between the two, I would've bet on Ben Whishaw being a new Doctor instead!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I genuinely think the Yaz/Doctor stuff is Chibnall's best dramatic idea for the show: a person who discovers her own orientation and falls in love with the one person who can't truly love her like she wants.
It's top-tier unrequited love plotting!
But like someone else said, these feelings only seem to exist whenever they get to the romantic subplot scenes and nowhere else, it feels less convincing.

All that aside, a pretty ropey special--the constant cutting/teleporting around felt like I was watching a sentai show without the tone to match.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I'm a big Wright fanboy and I could see him being talked into doing an episode or two!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, it seems there’s precedent!

He also talked fondly about the show, like the soldiers showing up at the end of Shaun are an homage to UNIT, there's a musical cue in Scott Pilgrim inspired by 80s Who....
Simon Pegg also talked about writing Doctor Who but declined because "I do not have a Mark Gatiss-like understanding of it".

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

Very curious about this, any details?

It's early on, when Knives meets Ramona, there's a big 80s Keff McCulloch-ish musical sting, that Wright describes as a Whoish sound in the commentary.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
This means we'll probably be seeing his costume this fall! Hurray!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That is the costume

It ain't until I see full foot-wear!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Of course, stuff will reoccur in Doctor Who but it's nuts that Chibnall's best episode and his swansong to the show is pretty much doing a whole bunch of RTD finales mashed together.
But hey, it mostly works! He backed himself with a lot of fan-proofing: it's hard to resist those classic Doctor moments (and Paul McGann is so handsome).

The truly big downer is that Chibnall didn't really resolve the stuff that was his--specifically, Yaz and the Doctor. I suppose that'll wait for the next anniversary.

Also, The Doctor going "What a universe, I'll never understand it" was amazing. It felt like a moment that was entirely Jodie's!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

sean10mm posted:

I don't know if RTD can bring back the Good Old Days and maybe Tennant is just a bridge to the new guy to get fans back onboard with a BIG HYPE TWIST SEE YOU IN 2023, but at least it's a recognition that poo poo wasn't working?

I think that's entirely it. The 60th anniversary allows for bringing back the most recently popular Doctor, but I also think Davies wants to make a big bang to get eyes on the show again.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I love the silly boogeyman stuff people project onto Disney. It's a massive corporation that did so much stuff, you can just pretend they'll do the most exaggerated worst-case scenario and think you've predicted something sensible.

I'm not seeing any other platform putting out Andor though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

All you need to say is "large company bad" and that just about covers it. I'd rather Disney didn't get their mitts on another beloved property, but eventually everything will be owned by a handful of companies anyway so what can ya do.

Sure, but they're not getting "their mitts" on it, they're distributing it. Bad Wolf are the ones actually with their mitts on it, they're the ones making the show.
Like, I'm in Canada and watching The Bear through Disney +.
Disney owns FOX, but what did they have to do with anything regarding the content of the show or anything else FX produces? Pretty unlikely.

And it's not even that I'm pro-Disney or anything like that, but unless we have actual reporting that says "Bob Chapek wants David Tennant to be the full-time Doctor", hand-wringing about "Disney" is silly.