Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Also Clara that one time sort of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

OldMemes posted:

Apparently the new hot rumour is that Tennant is going to play the 14th Doctor, who looks exactly like the 10th Doctor for some reason, for a few episodes then they'll introduce the 15th Doctor.

Which sounds very made up, since the only source is some guy going "trust me bro". In-universe it doesn't make sense - the Curator just happening to look like an elderly version version of the Fourth Doctor made sense in context. It was implied that he was so far into the Doctor's future that he had complete control over regeneration (and that he also wasn't the Fourth Doctor), which worked as a throw away gag.

My phone has been trying to recommend me an article that says that for a week or so. I've not bothered reading it because I really doubt it'll happen for a number of reasons; 1) Tennant is busy. They're making a second season of Good Omens, and a second season of Around the World in 80 days (both of which are adaptations of books which didnt have or need a sequel), 2) I have my issues with a lot of RTDs work on Who, never was the biggest fan of his writing but.... He's just not that creatively bankrupt. Like I'll entertain a lot of criticism of his writing (while simultaneously giving him all due credit for resurrecting the show) but "he's coming back so tennant is coming back as the doctor"? Nah. I'd buy "for an episode" maybe with the caveat "its not really the tenth doctor, its the dream lord/valeyard/whatever we called the clone he left with rose/the doctors subconscious who none of the companions can see and hear" but not as the next canon regeneration. It just smacks of fans with a lot of nostalgia and precious little imagination going "Obviously if RTD is coming back then he's bringing David Tennant and Rose back with him!!!". I'd put more credence into the idea that he was going to cast someone from Its A Sin (he does like working with people hes worked with before) rather than him doing the same thing with the same actor he did last time he was writing the show.

I have zero inside information and I've been wrong before, but I dont think I'm wrong this time. Plus I have no idea what the lead time is or where they are with filming the specials with Whittaker, will they even have cast the next doctor yet?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Maybe thats part of it, but I think a big chunk is "When Doctor Who was run by RTD and had David Tennant and Billie Piper in it things were better. We werent in a global pandemic, the show was more popular and I had more people to talk about it with, also I had fewer responsibilities, everything was cheaper and my back didnt hurt. Now RTD is coming back if he gets Tennant and Piper back everything will be the way it was then!"

Basically the same reasons the world almost entirely stopped making good music when you personally left university.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

But only if everyone on earth really really wants him to.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oh that's exactly it. Creativity be damned, the BBC would happily throw as much money as they could towards RTD's production company to hire Tennant and Piper, if it meant getting the ratings the show got back during the Tenth Doctor's run, and a lot of people would tune in for exactly the reasons you described.

A lot of people would tune in... once. Theres no way a nostalgia tour holds its ratings past the initial curiosity. If all you want is the one off nostalgia pop then do a multi doctor story.

Khanstant posted:

Got a disturbing clickbait article this morning saying Jodie had been snubbed for her regeneration and that they were just going to reboot the entire thing from scratch. Later in the article Jodie mentions how emotional it was filming her final regeneration scene. So I don't know what to make of this dumbass article that worked on me to click it, but surely the idea of rebooting Doctor Who is franchise suicide, right? Especially since the show literally already has every tool to reboot itself whenever it needs to while also maintaining a wibbly wobbly time continuity.

Then again, Chibs did destroy the universe and hasn't seemed to really repair it and maybe RTD is having him let that fly because they'll want the universe destroyed so they can swing the reboot angle?

Speaking for myself as only a mid-level Doctor Who nerd, half of the things that excite me or that I have questions, theories, fantasies about involve the immense backlog of characters and stories. It's a lot of fun when old and new lores collide and it's even more fun to just imagine the crossings over given the nature of time & space travel. Oh I wonder if Clara ever met the Doctor during this event, oh I wonder Peri has been up to for decades, oh what the gently caress is that alien and why acting like it's some hot shot I should know, oh i wonder if the doctor would ever rip off his head and replace it with a snowman and go around spooking mean snowmen aliens and someones like yeah they did that in the doctor who manga in 1964 -- it's great!

Doing a reboot or even a twisted Disney canon-mulching seems like a bad move for Who. I get clean slate easier to jump on for a newbie, but the slate being a mess IS the slate.

I just want someone to put hand on my shoulder and tell me it'll all be alright and they'd better not look into the middle distance thinking about what they aren't telling me.

Theres no way. a) as you say it would be both stupid and unnecessary with Who, the regeneration is a built in reboot device that lets them keep what they want and discard everything they dont. b) if someone was going to reboot the thing from scratch, binning 60 years of history... it wouldnt be RTD (or moffat or chibnell). Like I honestly believe you could literally put a gun to his head and demand that Rusty do that and he'd still try to argue the point. He's not just the showrunner, hes also a massive fan, for good and bad, and the good is "There is no way on earth he'd do that". The dude personally protected the Big Finish license. Basically stop reading articles about doctor who, 90% of them are based on nothing but someone on twitter deciding that what they wish would happen is whats going to happen (and since jodie took over a lot of that is driven by rampant misogyny, so thats fun). The other 10% either take one particle of truth and coat it in clickbait (scroll through the abysmally laid out article to see one blurry set photo that confirms, yep, they've filming in Cardiff again) or in the tiny number of significant leaks, spoil something it would have been fun to see without reading about it first.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In the interests of not being a total rear end in a top hat (:v:), I will say some nice things about each of the NuWho showrunners:

RTD - is responsible for bringing it back (much as I might gripe about it). Cast both Eccleston and Tennant, both of who I liked even if I didn't always like the stories they had. Came up with some absolutely great moments, the best being the reveal of the Master in "Utopia", in my opinion. "Midnight" and "Turn Left" were two really good stories under his watch. Donna, and of course Wilf.

Moffat - I disliked his take on DW (it's what made me quit watching), but I can't deny the show reached great heights of popularity under his guidance. I liked Matt Smith as the Doctor. And the regeration of Eight into the War Doctor and the 50th anniversary special were all great. The Curator.

Chibnall - He cast the first female Doctor and for that, he deserves full credit.

When you say you quit watching during Moffats run, you have watched the Chibnall stuff you are criticising, right?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I didnt even particularly like Children of Earth tbh. Having disliked torchwood I stopped watching it, then came back to Children of Earth due to the "its torchwood but not poo poo!" press it was getting. I'd agree it was a bit better than what we were used to with torchwood, but personally I thought it was still pretty bleh.

I mean, I dont particularly care either way if they franchise it or not tbh; if the spin off/extended whoniverse stuff they produce looks interesting to me then great, I'll watch it, if it doesnt then I wont. No skin off my nose. At the end of the day "franchising the show" is pretty much what Big Finish is and a lot of people love that (I wish I could get into it, but I just cant, presumably for the same reason I kind of slide off podcasts as a medium entirely).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

https://twitter.com/connolly_reece/status/1490280923140612096?s=20&t=5WknTZacquK6W2VkfnQTSA

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Khanstant posted:

You know who I haven't seen in anything in a while and who could be the next Doctor: Lucy Liu

However, could an American Doctor ever happen or did we burn that bridge in the revolutionary war?

I personally wouldnt want to see an american doctor tbh, in the same way I wouldnt want to see an american showrunner. We let them have a Master, that will have to do.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Crosspeice posted:

There better be a second female Doctor, since they could so easily imply that Jodie was unpopular for her gender rather than pinning the blame on the dogshit showrunner.

Yeah, if it was me the doctor AFTER this next one can be whoever (I'm still pulling for Paterson Joeseph myself) but if this one is another white guy then the worst kind of people will take it as "vindication" of their awful views.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If we are casting the Doctor based off Taskmaster performances I would like to remind everyone that Mawaan Rizwan attempted to solve a problem by inflating an egg with helium. He has also been, when the situation calls for it, a sneaky pasta snake.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

It begins.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Look, I know good CGI is expensive, time consuming and hard to do, but... That cracking was some amateur hour bullshit.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

And what I'm getting from this "action" scene is that the sea devil costume is barely mobile at all.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm sure I've seen this ship set shot more convincingly on horrible histories.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If they wanted her to return with treasure they should have left her a skeleton crew, you literally cannot sail a ship that size with 3 people, let alone 1. But I'm guessing that was a budget decision? Fewer actors means more money for iffy cgi?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

This is kind of not good, and not even in a particularly interesting way.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Also, flipping the poles would do none of those things; Why would north becoming south cause the stars to move, that makes no sense whatsoever.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Also what a waste of Madam Ching, she's barely had any impact on the story at all.

Yeah, more than anything else, this feels like an awful waste of a really interesting historical figure. Like a bad episode from chibnall is just another bad chibnall episode, but the doctor can only meet madame ching for the first time once.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

So, that was bad. We've had worse plots, at least it wasnt horrendously offensive, but bland as hell. As always, Jodie does what she can with what shes been given. Everything else though...

The sea devil costume couldnt emote, talk or (from the looks of it) apparently move much. What they should have done when that became apparent is chuck some lizard make-up on an actor and throw in a line about how "I'm the ultimate evolution of those you call sea devils, Doctor!" or something Instead they tried to shoot around it and fix it in post, and wow it did not work at all That "action" scene in the village was frankly embarrassing.

The editing was awful. People just teleported to where they needed to be for the next scene, within scenes there was no real sense of where anyone or anything was in relation to anything else.

The pacing and dialogue were atrocious. They basically gave up and had everyone explain their motivation and plans direct to camera because gently caress it. Everything felt simultaneously drawn out and rushed and I couldnt explain why, but it still did. Like I was thinking "do we have time for a heart to heart between the doctor and yas in this one off easter special" but concurrently "gently caress it, why not, what else do we have to fill this time with?".

I really wish that Jodie was going to have at least a season with a better showrunner. This was a bad episode on basically every front, and a massive drop in quality from the new year special.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

If the evil plan was to turn off the Earth's magnetic field, so the surface world got irradiated by solar wind, that would be much better

That would 100% have been better, that would have actual real consequences.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean she still has like 3 years before she retires from piracy so she could still be used in a future episode.

Yeah, but you only get one go at "Hang on.... Madam Ching? You're THE Madam Ching?"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

AndyElusive posted:

So are there any rumors yet as to who the next Doctor will be?

Seems strange that it's so close to the regeneration episode and it hasn't been announced yet.

Oh, absolutely yes! Lots of rumors. Many of them the same rumors as the last two times the doctor regenerated. Credible rumors you mean? No, none.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Harlock posted:

Idris Elba will always be the next doctor until he isn't

Hes the Quantum Doctor. He is definitely every doctor until you open the box and he isnt.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I really feel like a regeneration into Tennant would be an open admission of creative bankruptcy. It would literally be RTD saying "I have no new ideas and I'm only here to recapture old glories". I dont see him doing it, I have my issues with Rustys writing on Who, but I think more of him than that and I dont see tennant going for it either tbh.

Personally I reckon the new doctor will be... Someone who isnt even in the conversation. Same way Whittaker, Capaldi, Smith and Tennant werent for their respective castings. Dont get me wrong, I'll fantasy cast all day (Patterson Joseph please), but no-one called any of the nu-who doctors before their reveals, I doubt this will be different.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rochallor posted:

I wouldn't be surprised that Tennant is in the show given that the 60th anniversary is coming up, but yeah an actual degeneration is pretty unlikely.

Oh sure, I've no issue with multi-doctor stories (really any time but especially anniversaries, love a multi doctor story, even the objectively weak ones), I'm specifically talking about the rumors I've seen floated along the lines of "RTD is bringing Tennant back as the new doctor".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TinTower posted:

T'Nia Miller sometimes gets a shout, due to her being in Cucumber and Y&Y, but she was also one of the incarnations of the Time Lord general that pops up in the Moffat years, so… :shrug:

Fisayo Akinade would be interesting, being the first Doctor to have his cock out on Channel 4 (in a chastity cage, mind you, but it still counts).

She wouldnt be the first actor to appear in Who and later be cast as The Doctor, so thats not necessarily an impediment!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

OldMemes posted:

I guessed Dhawan's Master would be coming to audio at some point, given his long standing relationship with the company, but I wasn't expecting it so soon.

I'm assuming this means that in the special The Master will get injured/let in a situation that requires a regeneration, so we can have a surprise recast in a series or two. Honestly it would be nice to keep him around for 14, we've not had a Master incarnation across multiple Doctors for a while.

Simm mastered opposite Tennant and Capaldi, although I understand why that might not be what you mean.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

OldMemes posted:

Yeah, stuff like the First Doctor having one heart, Susan coining the term TARDIS, half human on my mother's side etc can be ignored as not important. Timeless Child fundamentally changes the character, and not in a positive way.

Anyway, Big Finish are having a Companion Chronicles sale, aside from the two Peris one, I don't know much about the range. Any essentials?

I feel like a lot of stuff that got ignored was from when it was difficult/expensive/rare for audiences to go back and check details of previous episodes, unless they happened to catch a repeat. Its a lot more difficult to blatantly ignore something from a previous episode when there is every chance a streaming algorithm will recommend viewers the episode thats being ignored as a "people also watched", and social media exists and is populated with people who will immediately post a gif of the ignored scene.

Except for the half human on my mothers side bit, but everyone just kind of agrees that was loving stupid and is best ignored even if you happened to own the video tape.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sometimes I forget that he was in two episodes already, and in those moments of forgetfulness I find peace.

In all fairness, I cant abide james cordon, but credit where it's due, he was actually fine in The Lodger and more or less acceptable in the other one he was in whose name I cant remember because it wasnt as good as the lodger.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

LividLiquid posted:

I don't like how time works.

Buddy, you may be in exactly the right thread.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

JohnnyQPublic posted:

I would hope we don't get James Corden, it really depends on what RTD has planned to right the ship after the Chinabll run...which was so uneven it would have an episode that was cool, and then an episode that absolutely sucked, plus the companions weren't the greatest.

Look, we're all happy Chibnell is going, but lets not go crazy here; Consistency and RTD do not necessarily go together. His run had some real high highs but also some incredibly low lows. He oversaw a lot of very bad episodes, often broadcast within a couple of weeks of some amazing episodes.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

it's me i'm the next doctor who

Aw hell, I had money on Jerusalem getting the surprise nod.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm not familiar with Ncuti Gatwa, but thats fine, I wasnt familiar with Matt Smith before his casting either, and every actor to play the Doctor has been good in the role. I was pretty sure that the new doctor would be someone who wasnt even in the online conversation for the role, because none of the nu-who doctors have been! Plus wikipedia tells me hes Rwandan-Scottish, so to me as a Scot that puts him in good company with the other Scottish Doctors.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

He's never met Ncuti, but hes already a big fan.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dabir posted:

Offhand, best guess for colours, all of them would have to be at least blue, the colour for big brained geniuses. Most would be blue/red, the colour of impulsive geniuses. Three, maybe blue/red/white, seeing as he spends most of his life settled down and working as part of UNIT, but he's still impulsive and a bit selfish. Ten, same colours, but mainly because of The End of Time tying together all the different people he'd inspired to become heroes in their own right, that's a very white thing. Five and Thirteen possibly blue/white, since they seem kind of codependent with their companions and not so wild and impulsive. Seven I could see blue/black, as the master manipulator. I don't see any of them being green, its themes of nature over technology, sustained growth, putting down roots and so on aren't a very Doctor thing. But I could be persuaded there.

I've not touched a magic card since 6th edition, but... Regeneration certainly used to be a fairly green ability.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Edward Mass posted:

Not to mention the ONLY Doctor under two monarchs.

Two *so far*. Charles is 72, and october is a month away, so y'know. Its not out the question.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Edward Mass posted:

Please, let me watch a new Doctor Who next month. I don't want to wait any longer. :negative:

Same, but monarchs funerals.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Also a snippet of a Fleetwood Mac song had to be edited out of The Three Doctors, if memory serves (it was "Oh Well", from the Peter Green-era Mac).

On the topic of Moffat, here's my infrequent reminder that I gave up on his version of DW about halfway through Eleven's run and never looked back.

It's their opinion, they can't be wrong about it.

Their opinion is a prediction about what episodes they havent watched are like. They can absolutely be wrong about that. If you didnt watch the thing you have less information than people who did watch the thing.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If they don't like the particular character or the particular writer or the particular showrunner, they can make a prediction based on their opinion of what they've seen in the past, and in that regard they can't be wrong because they're not likely to enjoy it. You don't need to get kicked in the groin to know that it's probably going to suck being kicked in the groin.

If it was just "I dont think I'd like it because I dont like this character or that showrunner" then sure whatever. But you can absolutely be wrong when you say things like "it'll be Twelve at his Twelviest and Moffat being maximally Moffatty" about episodes you havent seen, and other people say "No, actually it goes in the other direction, and moffatt actually restrains his worst excesses" because people who have seen it have more information than you and know what the actual episodes are like.

I mean, watch it, dont watch it, I dont care. But if you dont watch it then your opinion on it is intrinsically less educated than those who did.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Good thing that wasn't what happened, then!

The debate wasn't about Moffat being Moffatty, it was about how the season is just great, end of discussion. Not quite the same as "Moffat restrains his worst excesses".

Payndz posted:

(Even though people keep saying Twelve's final season was great, I'm still put off watching it because I can't help thinking it'll be Twelve at his Twelviest and Moffat being maximally Moffatty - I'd had enough of his schtick by then too.)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Okay, I know the thread is currently in a blaming Moffat for everything you personally dislike about the show part of the cycle, but it wasnt Moffat who had "if you believe in the doctor clap your hands" as a season resolution. so I dont think you can lay the "space wizard" aspects of nu-who entirely at his door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Edward Mass posted:

1) :drat:
2) Did people like Kerblam! on broadcast? I know I didn't.

I only really post or read about Who in this thread, but I remember the thread consensus (as much as there ever is one) as "Hey, this is pretty good. I'm digging this, its not the greatest episode ever but some solid.... Wait, what the gently caress? This is how its ending? Well that ending was so bad its retroactively ruined the rest of the episode, this is some absolute horseshit right here. How do you fumble an ending this badly?".