Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m not 100% against Grant, but this line from that article gave me a hearty lol:

quote:

A TV insider said the showrunner is keen for 61-year-old Hugh to ‘bring a fresh feel’ to the role of the Doctor.

Nothing says fresh like a 60 year old leading man :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The time is finally right for a Doctor from Texas :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rochallor posted:

Are Ace and Tegan actually in the episode? I don't want to watch this but I would make an exception for them.

Same, I never bothered finishing Flux but I’ll watch anything that brings back Ace, the best companion ever.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rochallor posted:

I've just finished a rewatch of the RTD stuff, and specifically what makes the Rose stuff kinda creepy (and solidly creepy once we get Tennant) is how lovely the Doctor is to Mickey, making him appear like a romantic rival. Mickey gets dumped on for no reason (except in retrospect) except seemingly for jealousy.

:agreed:

I don’t have a problem with Doctor-Companion romances in theory because a) it’s a modern TV show and romance or tension is a given and b) each Doctor is effectively a new mortal person and the show only treats them as a singular ancient immortal god when the plot demands it.

Rose-Doctor sucked because of the above and because Rose-Ten was just an unbelievably obnoxious pairing that actively made both characters unlikable when they were together.

River-Doctor started fine but became grating and annoying because of Moffat’s overuse of the character and the subsequent unnecessary exploration of her entire life that made less sense the more it went on.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Sometimes I forget that he was in two episodes already, and in those moments of forgetfulness I find peace.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
oh no

I’m finally older than The Doctor :ohdear:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Maybe this is me being weird, but unless I’m already familiar with them I always wait until a Doctor’s tenure is over to dig into whatever that actor has already done. Kinda helps sells the mystique and the personality more.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

"Another Scott, wahey!"

God bless Sylvester McCoy :3:

Edit: Ncuti was right about being terrible at secrets, he's already released the new theme song:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1524080164971364358

There has to be a way to at least subtly integrate that into the actual theme :allears:

Speaking of, is Murray Gold returning?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If nothing else, I expect another round of RTD Who to at least be interesting and often fun. That’s more than I can say about Chibnall’s run.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Could be funny to see a special where the Doctor keeps “de/regenerating” into random incarnations as they’re trying to solve whatever crisis is happening.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I like that this sounds like something that could have conceivably been an actual theme for War on a show that aired in the late 90s. I’ve always been fond of the TV Movie theme and this really reminds me of it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Met Christopher Eccleston today and he was such a nice dude. It’s genuinely heartwarming when a Doctor actually seems to be a genuinely decent person. :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It feels like a decade has passed since Moffat left

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
gently caress :smith:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Smith and Tennant are horrifying but that Capaldi owns.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’ve never even bothered watching Flux or the special that came before it (I think?). It really sucks, because Who has been pretty much a constant source of entertainment in one form or another since I first started watching in 2006, but I just can’t be bothered to drum up the attention and enthusiasm for it now.

I like Jodie a lot and there’s occasionally been an interesting premise or idea from this era, but there’s just something so… bland about Chibnall’s entire run.

I’m really hoping Jodie gets a Big Finish run or regular multi-Doc stories or something to finally show off her Doctor. It’s a genuine shame Chibnall wasted her on such boring plots.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Finally catching up on 13 and watching Flux for the first time. This third episode really is… a choice. I get what they’re going for and the plot seems relatively straight forward for DW but the constant jumping between time streams and characters is so disorienting that I genuinely can’t keep track of what’s going on.

It’s just a headache-inducing montage of vaguely related scenes. :psyduck:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Kinda just skipped through the last episode of Flux because nothing in that entire season really grabbed me, but Eve of the Daleks was… good? Like really good!? Or at least entertaining.

13’s a lot of fun when they actually let her be a scatter-brained Doc Brown type.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Late, but I watched the finale.

Random thoughts:
- I know it’s just fanservice, but it loving worked for me without question; I grinned ear to ear every single time Syl and Davison showed up. Legit choked up when they had their moments with Tegan and Ace.
- Speaking of Ace, holy poo poo Sophie Aldred must have been having an absolute ball filming this. I need the further adventures of Ace to happen, make her a recurring UNIT character or something.
- I’m assuming the falling out Ace had with 7 is a Big Finish/novel thing? Unless I’m forgetting some part of Survival.
- Janet Fielding was great too, I loved how instantly the old Tegan personality clicked in once the Doctor showed up.
- I’ve never really warmed to his Doctor or even explored his run all that much, but I’m immensely happy for Colin Baker to have another chance to be on the show in such a high profile episode. He seems like the nicest guy.
- 5,6, & 7 are sadly probably past the point of running down corridors in a real Multi-Doc special, but goddamnit give me a full episode of 8 and 14/15/? already.
- Sacha Dwahan can play The Master for the rest of the entire show for all I care. He’s so drat good at being genuinely menacing and intense.
- After blasting through all of Flux and these last few specials I’m genuinely going to miss 13. Even if the writing still wasn’t quite there, it felt like Whitaker had really settled into a nice groove for the character. I know there’s an unwritten tradition of recent Doctors keeping their distance from the show but I really hope she comes back in a substantial way for the 60th.
- I’ve mellowed on Tennant over the years and it’s always fun seeing a former Doc revisit the role, but man just give me Ncuti Gatwa already. I don’t need an entire year of specials stalling for time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Does anyone make a CyberMaster figure? Or even just a statue/figurine? I really love that design, stupid as it may be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This whole time I thought I’d just missed a line explaining Graham’s presence :psyduck: