Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Clem Fandango would be an excellent companion.

A Klingon would be an interesting contrast to the Doctor's pseudo-pacifism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

So Rusty did drop the Hugh Grant thing, right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rochallor posted:

Also, "DELETE" is a loving terrible catchphrase and turns them into Daleks, But poo poo.

https://tenor.com/bC2U7.gif

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the actual plot of the Capaldi Xmas one is pretty shaky, but everything after the truce scene where they go into the regeneration itself is really good (I'm a sucker for the whole 'I'm tired, can't I just be done?' aspect, and the whole kind of old gunslinger vibe of 12 deciding that he's got enough left for one more go). And this one was a lot of fun. A lot of hand-waving and 'no time to explain' but it mostly worked because everyone involved seemed to be enjoying themselves. And of course that had to be the ending line, what the heck else could it have been otherwise?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 24, 2022

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The tradition is the incoming team does the post regeneration scene, yeah? So Rusty wrote the last minute or so?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Harlock posted:

My immediate reaction to how they're handling this is that I hope it isn't a new persona / Doctor wearing the 10th Doctor's face because that would be weird. If you're bringing back Tennant, then just make it the 10th Doctor through ~shenanigans~

You can pretty easily handwave that it is a new incarnation, but because of the physical similarity to Ten, they act fairly similar. Or even make it a plot point that the Doctor wants to be Ten, but it's not quite clicking, which leads into the regen into Ncuti, where he's able to be comfortable being someone new again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I definitely recall getting annoyed that it was another thing that Disney+ was slurping up and it being one more reason to drop HBO Max (this being before they had a bunch of other reasons to drop HBO Max). But maybe it was in one region and now they're announcing it's all regions or something like that.

I believe it was that Disney had expressed interest, which was notable because Doctor Who would be the first big franchise on D+ that isn't a Walt Disney Co property. But I think I and a lot of others dismissed it as a rumour for that same reason.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it does kind of show that Chibnall doesn't really understand what his predecessors did that got people interested. Moffat has the tightly plotted puzzle box stuff where what seems like continuity errors are actually clues planted for the observant, almost custom designed to get social media buzz and people swapping theories. RTD does big bombastic stuff where it's less important if the plot points make literal sense and more if the emotional throughline does, which lends itself to your YouTube shipper AMVs and tumblr gif sharing.

And both are more broadly satisfying because Moffat wants you to either feel clever for working it out or impressed at how clever he is, and Rusty wants you to be sobbing or beaming. I'm not sure what Chibnall wants the audience to think/feel during his run, honestly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
My point was more that Moff is a plot guy, he absolutely cares about character and theme, but he illustrates that through plots that fit together neatly for the most part, while Rusty is less concerned if A + B = C than if the beat hits you in the feels. Basically, Moffat wants you to wonder who Clara is, RTD wants you to wonder how Martha feels.

And yes, the Dalek that's still ultimately a DALEK, because it's still a rampant xenophobic fascist, but is rebelling because the OTHER Daleks have lost their way from good old fashioned Kaled supremacy is pretty great and could have carried a full episode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If anything, the Master regenerating into Jodie would've made more sense, and you can keep the same basic idea in, where he sucked all her Time Lord/Timeless Child juice out to pull it off so the Doctor is dying For Real, and still do the holograms, or even have them be shifting form to their past selves for real while trying to stop the Master.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

This is a problem Chibnall has again and again. Stuff happens and you’re waiting for any explanation, and it doesn’t come. It’s like you’re getting about half the story a lot of the time.

Like he wrote a 2 hour script, realised it needed stuff cut, ripped out about 25% and... forgot to edit the rest to make up for the missing bits.

(I like to call it the Grant Morrison special, cuz Morrison's comics always feel the same way to me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SiKboy posted:

Just like once a series, once every other series maybe, everything looks hopeless, theres no way the Doctor can win this one when suddenly... Bah Gawd! Thats Jo Martins music! :bahgawd:

The Master gloating over the Doctor, then they get swung round, and the Fugitive Doctor nails them with a Rainmaker and does the Okada pose.