Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Vinylshadow posted:

Forty trailer

Cybermen, Ice Warriors, and Adric, oh my

And Christopher Timothy

Hoping for Tricki Woo for the trifecta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

My first viewing of Bernard Cribbins was as the spoon salesman...a televisual feast, indeed. :patriot: (pretend that's a Union Jack).

Over the past few weeks, Mr Boods has been going through my rando Doctor Who dvds, really enjoying is, as we tend to look at two episodes of a serial every evening. He just about remembers seeing Jon Pertwee when he (Mr Boods) were a lad, and was definitely into Tom Baker/Sarah Jane. Everything from Leela onwards has been completely new to him, so it's been great fun introducing him to all of these serials that are practically written on my DNA from childhood onwards.

It's been great fun rewatching with someone who's never seen or met these characters before. He likes Tegan, and thought Turlough was a great hoot. His favourite Doctor so far has been Colin Baker, absolutely loves his performance.

We've just started to go through the Patrick Troughton serials, and we're currently on The Invasion. He's taken to bellowing PACKER! at odd intervals throughout the day :allears:

I do'nt have everything on DVD, so am sifting around for the next batch when I do my August online shop. Probs going to hit up The Key to Time, as he doesn't know either Romana at all.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

As we all must :hai:

"......Packer.... :smug:"

Whilst he was impressed with Simon Rouse's amazing performance as poor Hindle, coming unglued in Kinda, he's loving poor old Packer's moments of squeaky histrionics.

Introducing him to the concept of reconstructions of wiped materials, and the whole luck of the draw that fans recorded the soundtracks to these '60s serials off-air has been really enjoyable. 53 year old British dude for whom all of this is new. It's like taking someone to your favourite, long-beloved place and vicariously enjoying it all anew again. Also, his reactions to things that meant nothing to me at the time as an American are fabulous ('Is that Ken loving Dodd?!')

That said, we're looking at everything out of order (he's been choosing them randomly), and, because he has seen 90% of the 2005 onwards Doctor Who episodes, we also argue a lot because he'll ask why the Doctor does do a certain thing/know about a certain thing in a 1968 serial that decades later has become a well-entrenched part of the lore. (I.E. 'Why doesn't he just get K-9 in there?' Or trying to explain who Liz Shaw is -- he vaguely remembers Jo Grant, but was baffled when Liz showed up -- that said, so far Inferno is his favourite Jon Pertwee of the ones we've been through. Or that the Master in The Mind Robber is not that Master.)

For me, it's seeing the 1960s episodes on Region 2 (PAL) dvds, after only seeing them as over-the-air NTSC broadcasts off PBS in America in the 1980s. Good god, how sharp and clear the video is on some of these episodes!

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 29, 2022

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Payndz posted:

And even then, you're not seeing them as they were broadcast. PAL DVD resolution is 576 lines, compared to over-the-air's 625. You need Blu-Ray for the full original experience.

Mind you, I think lots of people have a whatever-the-opposite-of-rose-tinted view of what TV looked like back then, because they're usually seeing it as transcoded YouTube clips taken from a 30-year-old+ LP tape, and going "How the hell did we ever watch this?" (Eg, this one of mine: https://youtu.be/wd3C8X9ieWk)

Interesting!

Trust me, the way I saw them was..rustic (tell us more about it, :corsair:!) We could just about receive WNJS out of Trenton through the clapped-out TV aerial that my brother had tied to the old metal swingset by the back door, so about 15 feet away from the TV. If the picture was really fuzzy, you'd go outside and slowly turn the aerial this way or that til the picture cleared up a bit, usually determined by my dad shouting 'Yeah ok, it's better that way' or 'No! Turn it back the other way!'

Nifty to know about the PAL dvd to BluRay difference -- Mr Boods has been looking for an excuse to get a BluRay player.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

ookiimarukochan posted:

Only 576 of the 625 "lines" are visible the rest are blanking lines (which by the 70s were no longer actually needed as TVs were able to redraw the screen faster so you see them being used for data like teletext, palplus, etc)
You can see the same thing with HDTV where analogue MUSE was described as 1125i but then the exact same size of footage was 1080i once it went digital

You'd get along with Ms Boods, cos he said almost the same thing, word-for-word, when I asked him about the lines and stuff on PAL/British tv. :)

He's been leaning towards a BluRay, so I need to think of the DW serial that might tip him over the edge. The extras might do it, too -- I've been trying to lure him into the world of commentaries and all the extra bits (I bought Timelash specifically for the commentary with Colin B and my lovely Paul Darrow).

It's been fun trying to guess which ones he'll find a hoot -- I love Mark Strickson's dial-it-up to 11 in Frontios and Enlightenment, but while he enjoyed them, they did hit him in the same sweet spot. He loved Timelash and Vengeance on Varos; we've done Mark of the Rani (he spent the entire serial convinced it was Joan Collins, not Kate O'Mara) and The Two Doctors (his first viewing of Patrick Troughton and Fraser Hines, so he had no idea who they were as DW characters, although since seeing a couple of 1960s serials, he's really come to like the dynamic between the Doctor and Jamie).

Apologies for interrupting the interesting general chat with our shenanigans! It's just been fun rewatching these serials with someone who's never seen them before -- this all came out of Forces TV I think it was showing a handful each of serials back in the springtime, and me saying, 'Oh, I have a lot of these on dvd if you want to see them without adverts.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Timby posted:

You mean e.g. I.e is short for id est, in Latin, which means "that is." "E.g." is "exempli gratia," which translates to "for example."

:eng101:

Nah -- I did actually mean it as 'that is, he asks me...[followed by the examples]' but you're absolutely right -- and it was sloppy usage on my part. E.g. would have been much better! No worries, I know what they both mean (and also where the Romans got their bread from). But ta :)

I blame posting before I was fully awake.

Ah, brilliant, on the Invasion commentary - if I can't persuade Mr Boods to watch it, I will on my ownsome.