Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Rochallor posted:

Oh my god that's great.

I was fine with the Dalek flying scene in Remembrance of the Daleks. It's moving back and forth a little and there's flames/energy poo poo coming out of the bottom to lend it a little weight.

I remember clearly as a kid being excited that there was a new series of Doctor Who and watching Remembrance when it was first broadcast. It (and the Seventh Doctor and Ace) hold a dear place in my heart as I loved this story and it's the earliest I can remember seeing a non-repeat episode.

But funnily my memory of the episode 1 cliffhanger wasn't amazement and fear at the dalek floating up the stairs, but young me yelling at the TV, "Why are you flying? You've got a gun, just shoot him!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

The bit that has thrown me the most about this era of the show is that it's not... clever. The Doctor isn't clever, a lot of the concepts in the show aren't clever (although I have a soft spot for the whole image of a universe that's a frog on a chair), the plots aren't clever, the dialogue isn't clever, the character ineractions and motivations aren't clever, and, crucially, the resolution of the episodes are not clever. I initially thought it might have been skewing toward a younger audience due to that, but now I'm not sure. I accept that maybe you want to take the show in a new direction from that set by RTD and Moffat, but it's just weird to have a high-concept SF show with a character established as succeeding through intelligence and wits sort of bumble around for the episode, and then just randomly make some declaration that a random course of action will solve everything.

Quite a few of the episodes start off interestingly (oh no, the Doctor and the companions are stuck in a time loop with a Dalek who kills them before it's reset, how do they work out the mechanism of this process to master it and escape!?) but it then slowly becomes clear that the writer doesn't know how to best explore this in an interesting way. Or possibly that if they are skewing younger they choose not to explore it at all?

I do wonder if Chibnall is also a much weaker script editor than either RTD or Moffat, which means scripts that might have succeeded under them don't turn out quite as well in this era.

Coward fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 16, 2022

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Crapilicious posted:

I pretty much saw the whole first season of Chibnall Who and in the break between seasons I pretty much decided I'd give up watching week to week and wait a couple years for it to improve based on reviews and general feeling. It did not.

Then I watched Jay Exci's magnum opus The Fall of Doctor Who (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8_A7n83Rh0) and that pretty much put the nail in the coffin as far as my opinion was concerned. Then RTD got announced as the successor and I'd never thought I'd want him back again (I saw the End of Time, after all), but it was a relief.

I'm just sorry that Jodie Whitaker's run was blighted by a very poor writer. She had so much potential, and it was shining through the whole time but just drowned in nonsense.

I'm not sure how to articulate it, but I thought it was interesting that I read that Moffat short story and thought, "Oh, so that's how a solid writer takes what's been established so far and Whittaker's performance and makes the Thirteenth Doctor feel like the Doctor."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

One of my co-watchers describing Kronos's actual appearance in the modern day bit as "a pigeon has got into the lab" didn't help the gravitas of the situation either

Oh, that's good. I've always loved Kronos described as an "apopleptic budgerigar."

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

You know what I would really like for the new series? The loving middle eight back. Doesn't have to be in the opening, but at least have it for the credits. Please.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Is there a way to keep Jo Martin's Doctor, but ditch the Timeless Child?

I have to admit when they had their first chat and neither could remember the other, I was assuming it had to be an alternate timeline. So I was a bit disappointed that the explanation wasn't about how there could be two Doctors, but just simple amnesia. (And then the wondering about why a pre-Hartnell Tardis looked like a police box and a non-functional chameleon circuit)

(I did also wonder if the Timeless Child was just a super-nerd's attempt to canon-justify the Morbius Doctors)

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Yeah, I think the best we can hope for is some sort of wink in passing that opens up a possible alternative explanation, but isn't any clear reference to those events/storyline.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

What's the Capaldi lion-man episode? Has it been so long I only remember like three Twelfth Doctor stories?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Oh, right. I am fairly sure I haven't seen it since it was first broadcast, so that makes sense. Thank you!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

It Takes You Away. Just a fantastic episode (ignore the weird troll man in the tunnel section which is.... I don't even know what the gently caress that was. Concentrate on the frog! :3:)

I am absolutely a frog-on-chair apologist.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I blame all three showrunners for NuWho being terrible, they all brought aspects of their particular type of awfulness to it :v:

I know this was on the last page, but I forgot to reply, "If only Pip and Jane Baker had been showrunners!" which led me to consider the bizarre alternate reality of the Pip and Jane Masterplan.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Having read Cartmel’s book Script Doctor, Chibnall feels like what having Pip and Jane Baker as showrunners would have been like. Fans who can write a middling story, but don’t… get it.

That's interesting. What in Cartmel's book led you to that? Just comparison? Or was he talking about Pip and Jane?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

If you go to a B&M you might find a Planet of the Daleks set with a see through Dalek!

Tell me I can get a Special Weapons Dalek too!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Doctor Who and the Cybernyan

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Okay first, goddamn you

And second, bravo

Just realised it could've been Doctor Mew.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Dabir posted:

Pip and Jane Baker kept getting work too, and wasn't that mostly because they reliably got scripts in before the deadline

So you can easily see how great they would have been as showrunners/script editors!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Rochallor posted:

Troughton was such a physical actor that it would be hard to ape his perfomance

This is why I just couldn't watch the animations. I really love the Second Doctor and Troughton's performance, and a lot of it comes from the interaction of his line delivery, physicality, facial expression and reaction to the other actors. None of that is successfully captured with the animations, and just leaves me cold when I should be delighted.

And are you loving serious? The ABC can no longer air Doctor Who? I am struggling to find words to express how... offended? I am.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Ups_rail posted:

So did they ever explain why the master was a Cat?

It's just your standard Cheetah Planet stuff.

(That story is probably Ainley's best outing as the Master and a shame he didn't get any more stories with that characterisation)

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Forktoss posted:

"I know these shoes..."

"I know this wig..."

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

...So, who would win in a fight, the Skarasen or the Myrka?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

But its kung fu would be useless!