Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Crap, now there's another Neflix show I need to watch.

It is weird that he's the first actor to play the Doctor that's younger than I am, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So do we just go back through the rumors and try to figure out which ones, in retrospect, sound like RTD loving with us now?

I have to say, I respect the hell out of him for doing the exact same dumb thing with that power that I would.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Infinitum posted:

What's wrong with James Corden?

From what I can tell, he's just the kind of celebrity that has vastly outgrown his actual level of talent and charisma. He's just fine as the level of actor that gets cast in decently-popular musicals and Doctor Who episodes (remember those halcyon days when we liked him in The Lodger?), but as an actual personality he's just not a very charming person and is actually kind of annoying, and unfortunately he's mostly been a talk show host for the past seven years, so we've been subjected to that.

He's an example of the Peter Principle when applied to entertainment. Which, admittedly, you don't see all too often.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SecretOfSteel posted:

drat I hope that's 14's outfit!

It's literally just a JoJo part five outfit, and the only reason I'd object to that is that I feel like the characters in JoJo part 5 are the least Doctor-ly of all Jojo parts.

The most Doctor-ly JoJo is Josuke in part 4, Crazy Diamond is essentially the Doctor's capabilities turned from about a two to an eight.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

I feel like that's less because of inherent scariness of older technology, and more because nobody's actually made more modern Cybermen scary.

For some reason anyone writing a Cyberman story that wasn't either the Tenth Planet or World Enough And Time wants to make the Cybermen into some variety of Action Robot, and it's a waste every time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

DoctorWhat posted:

The original pitch for the Cybermen is rooted in horror tropes that are inherently pretty ableist and it's very tricky to find alternatives that are still that kind of viscerally horrifying without getting in (deserved) trouble with disability advocates.

The Dark Water Cybermen were abjectly horrifying as a perversion of the sanctity of death/don't cremate me, to the point that there were complaints! But a lot of people.have forgotten that due to the shadow of CyberBrig, or transformed that horror into outrage at the idea that, say, Amy and Rory got cyberized off screen.

Dark Water is a perfect example of how you could make Cybermen into something horrifying in a modern way, but even that just turned them into Action Robots for a lot of it. Sort of an inherent flaw of the base design, I think.

I think the big issue of the original Cybermen is that they're inherently just EXTREMELY dated. They stem from an extremely of-the-time anxiety, and sure, you can go back to that well at times (like World Enough and Time) but without finding something new about its horror you either hold on to the superficially creepy parts or bang the drum of an anxiety that's been settled for decades. Pacemakers just aren't a haunting prospect anymore!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I've only got one concern about this recent new casting. And I didn't realize it until I saw a tweet raising it.

https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/1526270998672187393?t=TzdNSXi8HAFWSFb-iYU63Q&s=09

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 16, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
All things considered, while I don't want to watch either of their worsts ever again if I can help it, I do much prefer the RTD-era bottoms over Moffat's. The worst you get from RTD is 'embarrassingly campy', but the worst you got from Moffat was 'actively reprehensible'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Chibnall's run has the problem that most of its good episodes are inseparable from the Timeless Child overplot, so if you hate that story for any numer of totally legitimate reasons then even its good episodes are mostly a bust.

If you want good episodes without any of that involved you're down to, like... the Rosa Parks episode, Demons of the Punjab, the King James episode, maybe the Mary Shelley episode. If you have a tolerance for that plot, then there's some real gems in there (I genuinely think I might like the last season's Angels episode more than Blink), but they're pretty much all let down by the overplot rather than elevated.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jerusalem posted:

I'll do you one better. How to make up for the Chibnall era in only one step:

1. Make a good show.

We're making attainable requests, I think.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I've always struggled with Kerblam because I don't think it's as bad as people say, but it's certainly not good enough to defend. And that goes for its morals, too.

I don't feel like it's outright saying 'corporations are good and should have all the power' or anything, it was just written by someone who can't really picture a better world than 'everyone works kinda lovely jobs forever'. Not a hard shitlib story, and I never felt like there's malice behind it, but it's the level of modest shitlib you get from someone who hears about a strike and just genuinely doesn't understand the situation.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It also just wasn't really a smart time to do a one-off special. Christmas works great because everyone's home with family and at that point probably watching TV after dinner anyway. New years has a similar appeal, in the US you could swing a Thanksgiving. Some shows could shoot their shot on a thematically-appropriate event that they can be sure their audience would bite on, like when The Thick Of It did an election special.

Does Easter have any of that? Even theoretically? I don't know about the UK, but here in Australia Easter is just a long weekend with chocolate involved. Not only is there no cultural assurance that people will be watching TV then, there's arguably negative correlation since Easter's a good time for a short holiday.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 16, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Barry Foster posted:

Looks like Murray Gooooold is back in the musical driving seat

That's nice, I didn't need to hear the dialog anyway.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mr Beens posted:

The sound mixing and audibility of the dialogue has been just as terrible during Chibnalls run

I wouldn't say the sound mixing improved, but the less bombastic music meant it was rarely inaudible.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TinTower posted:

A really wacky fact is that because production has slowed down to one series every other year, Boris Johnson will be the first Prime Minister since Jim Callaghan to have not had a regeneration story* during his time in office.

…gently caress, “which PMs have not had a Doctor regenerate” would make a good Only Connect question, actually.

*for the sake argument I’m only counting stories in which the lead cast member who is playing the Doctor either departs or debuts, to head off the “what about the Timeless Children?” question.

Hold on, how do we count the Wilderness Years? I'm willing to run the numbers for Australia but I need to figure that part out.

We'll end up having a couple more just because the parties here have figured out the 'turf out your unpopular leader to get a bump in the polls when you need it' trick and have been using it for about twelve years.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TinTower posted:

The way I worded it has McCoy lasting until the movie in 1996 (as he regenerates on-screen), with McGann being around until “Rose” airs in March 2005.

IIRC, it is implied that Nine meets Rose pretty soon after DotD (unless he’s been avoiding mirrors for a hundred years), but you kind of have to do these stretches anyway for Two to Three and, arguably, also Six to Seven.

Okay, so the Australian PMs who haven't seen a regeneration in their tenure that actually had Doctor Who exist during it--and going by person rather than tenure, because we had a Grover Cleveland situation for a few months in 2013...

-John McEwen (only in office for 22 days between 1967 and 1968; his prime ministership was shorter than the story at the time, Enemy of the World)
-William McMahon (entirely during Three's run)
-Paul Keating (during the Wilderness years, he lost office two months before the TV movie)
-Julia Gillard (entirely during Eleven's run)
-Scott Morrison (entirely during Thirteen's and he seems the type to have hated that the Doctor was a woman)

The PM to see the most regenerations was John Howard, with both the TV movie and all of New Who's first season.

EDIT: gently caress, Doctor Who news really had to break when I was crunching THOSE numbers, huh...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Timby posted:

You mean e.g. I.e is short for id est, in Latin, which means "that is." "E.g." is "exempli gratia," which translates to "for example."

:eng101:

Oh poo poo, I've always just assumed i.e. stood for 'in essence' or something like that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
That Whittaker gives me Angela Lansbury vibes, and now I'm just imagining Whittaker in a reboot of Murder, She Wrote.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Eiba posted:

The worst thing about the Cybermen/Time Lord hybrid things was that they just stood there. If they came back as a higher class of Cyberman and actually did something meaningful related to their Time Lord origin that could be (somewhat) interesting and (somewhat) justify their creation in that god awful story.

Do I think Chibnall can actually do something interesting with them? No. I do not. But it's not an inherently terrible concept, despite being pretty terrible in execution. Whatever concept Chibnall goes for has a pretty big chance of being unpleasant and poorly executed. At least if he's referencing his own stories he's not taking a risk of messing up something more beloved.

Yeah, the Cyberlords are an instance of a good idea, done poorly, and trapped in a bad story.

Which is not unique among Chibnall stories. I realized when describing the run to a friend that skipped it that while only one or two components of the run are outright bad just on inception, it's just that most of the good ideas are underused.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
How To Die In Space is a pitch-perfect title for a Doctor Who episode. I'd say it's perfect for Oxygen, but honestly, it's perfect for most episodes of the show.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
They're apparently making four Commander decks for the Doctor Who stuff, and I'd wonder how they're picking those--by 'most popular Doctors', by diversity of playstyle, instead by 'style' of story (it'd be neat to have 'base under seige', 'weird horror', 'impending apocalypse' and 'aliens messing with history' decks).

My guess for what they'll pick is One, Four, Ten and Fourteen, with each getting cards around their run and stuff from the same general 'era'. Fourteen of course won't be super fleshed out by then, but you'd be a fool to not include the latest one to sell product.

What I'd pick, though... Four representing the 'golden age', Three with a bunch of Earth-based and UNIT stuff, either Ten or Eleven for the modern series, and Eight or War with a bunch of Time War/non-TV stuff.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CommonShore posted:

I asked a higher-level magic player about these Doctor Who sets and for the most part the cards are just going to be reprints of other magic cards with new flavour names, so hypothetical e.g. "Dalek Blast (Lightning Bolt) R Instant Deal 3 damage to any target."

In other words there's going to be virtually no new game content designed around Doctor Who - it's literally just taking existing cards and scrawling "existing card but doctor who" on it.

From what I know the previous sets like this have kinda gone both ways; the Fortnite cards were all reprints, but the Street Fighter one actually tried for new cards fighting game-inspired mechanics.

Doesn't really bother me either way, though; I don't play Magic, so even if it's old it'll be new to me. And as funny as it would be to see the Cybermen become a meta deck, what's probably a bit more feasible on Wizards' side of things is to take existing decks they know are welcoming and package them for a new audience.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 23, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Confusedslight posted:

I was really rooting for Chibnall and writers and tried to see past the clunky dialogue and the questionable story choices because it wasn't all bad! The most cinematic looking doctor who we've ever had on a visual stand point. The music was great and Jodie gave it her all.

But the global warming episode was the one that really broke me. It was just so bad.

I straight-up do not remember the global warming episode, and that might be for the best.

I might've been one of the people that were more optimistic for longer, perhaps because I'm someone that generally gives a lot of points for concept even if the execution is bad, and if there was anything Chibnall was good at, it was squandering good concepts. Even I just eventually got tired of it, though, to the point where the weird time of year for Flux knocked me off the 'watch as soon as possible' horse and onto the 'when I get around to it' footpath.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Rochallor posted:

The Silurian two-parter was awful, and his previous offerings were pretty uninspiring, but Chibnall's Series 7 episodes weren't half bad and left me feeling somewhat optimistic when he was announced. Imagine yearning for the days of quality offerings like Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

The Silurian two-parter is elevated enormously in memory by ending the way it did.

In fact, I'd argue that ending probably wouldn't have hit as well if it weren't in a story that was otherwise skippable. You expect a pretty showstopper episode like, say, the Angels two-parter to be one that they do Big Deal poo poo in (which is probably why people picked up on the slightly incongruent Amy/Doctor scene as being potentially important instead of just a continuity error), so you're generally bracing for something even if you don't know what exactly. But the Silurian two-parter feeling pretty inconsequential meant that we were genuinely blindsided when suddenly something hugely important happened out of nowhere.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
If you don't find it extremely funny that writers had to work around not including Daleks through use of stock footage, 'they're just off-screen' and technically not showing the iconic design in entirely text-based novels then I don't understand your sense of humor.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
That feels so stupid that it feels like it'd be a brief gag in Family Guy.

I'd say you could punch it up to being a Simpsons-quality joke, but the Simpsons wouldn't have joked about something like that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Infinitum posted:

It doubly sucks, cause Broadchurch was such a well written series - particularly the 1st season.
Chibnall definitely has writing chops, but I guess it just didn't translate well to serial sci-fi? :shrug:

I was going to say that he might be really struggling to write for a non-adult audience, but... uhm, he didn't do so hot on Torchwood either, did he?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

Ah ha, apparently they didn’t show the regeneration.

Obviously to hide that Ncuti is just a feint to make sure people don't reveal the real new Doctor.

Who is, of course, the hugely fan-requested David Tennant Again.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 24, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Kerblam is the sort of episode that really falls apart on reflection, the question is more just when that reflection happens. I think this thread thinks about individual Doctor Who episodes harder and for longer than your average place/person that talks about Doctor Who, so we turned on it pretty fast as far as 'time since airing', but a lot of people got there eventually.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The Angels' episode of Flux isn't just the best episode of Flux, it's also basically the only Angels episode since Blink to genuinely use them well. Flesh and Stone/Time of Angels was probably a better story, but it basically didn't use the pre-existing Angel concept at all and instead worked off a bunch of entirely new stuff it stapled on to them.

The Angels Flux episode even managed to implement that 'images of Angels become Angels' idea in a way that largely supplemented the usual Angels stuff!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
All my opinions on this special have been superceded by a single take from the very last minute of the show.

Cleretic posted:

The_Doctor posted:

Ah ha, apparently they didn’t show the regeneration.

Obviously to hide that Ncuti is just a feint to make sure people don't reveal the real new Doctor.

Who is, of course, the hugely fan-requested David Tennant Again.

well mothergently caress me

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It takes some genuine talent to still nail the Boney M joke, despite us all seeing it coming from eighteen miles away.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
One thing that the early part of this story made me realize I'll miss is a TARDIS crew that's genuinely friendly and earnest. That super brief segment where the Doctor and Yaz genuinely congratulate Dan on his landing made me so happy, and I realized that's because Thirteen's the only recent Doctor that really fosters that sort of attitude, while previous revival Doctors have always been too serious or too detached.

I'm gonna miss having a Doctor that just feels like a dorky best friend.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CommonShore posted:

Oh another thing -

I caught cameos or nods to docs 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 and 10 along the way. Were there any references to Pertwee or the other revival docs that slipped by me?

Does Jo being in the Companions Anonymous meeting count for Pertwee?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

werdnam posted:

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that if the Cybermen or Daleks, as described, really tried then the Doctor wouldn't be able to stop them? There were multiple times in this story where all they needed to succeed was have one of dozens of baddies actually connect with a laser blast.

Other than that, the episode was a.hoot.

It didn't really bother me, in part because it kind of gives the feeling that while the Master did get them all to work together, the result was actually probably worse than then just working alone, because none of the three sides actually complement each other or let them work to their stremgths.

He completely nullified the entire strength of having the Daleks on side by having them not shoot indiscriminately! The Cybermen do a lot better, but are let down by being commanded by someone capable of getting fooled through appeal to authority.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Random Stranger posted:

I'm looking forward to 2025 when we're all mad at RTD again and talk about how we always hated him.

2025? I'm betting we'll be there by February somehow.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gaz-L posted:

I believe it was that Disney had expressed interest, which was notable because Doctor Who would be the first big franchise on D+ that isn't a Walt Disney Co property. But I think I and a lot of others dismissed it as a rumour for that same reason.

Between then and now they'd gotten rights to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for some regions (which is good news for the Bohemian Rhapsody fight, according to people who have only heard what the Bohemian Rhapsody fight's actually like third-hand), so the Doctor Who news is now both more believable and less exciting for that reason.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 25, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Apparently, Doctor Who going to Disney+ means that it will no longer be airing on the ABC in Australia.

So, uhm... I guess I'll be learning second-hand if RTD2 is any good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
https://twitter.com/chaser/status/1585125849652547584?t=cgiLz6fNdQeXDBE7wDy8wA&s=19

Australia, at least, is responding appropriately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The interesting things about the Cyber Time Lords for me are more subtle, which is disappointing for how strong those ideas could've been, but I still end up liking them in action.

The designs are really interesting, and I actually like that despite the purely robotic face and voice, they actually do come off as tangibly more smug and brash than the Cybermen usually are entirely through body language and word choice. Regular Cybermen have an air of inevitability about both their actions and demeanor, that they'll delete and convert people because that's just what happens, but the Cyber Time Lords KNOW they're hot poo poo. It's a level and type of confidence that you rarely see in the show; they're self-assured, but just quietly confident about it rather than the overt jingoism of the Daleks or the cackling self-aggrandizement of the Master.