Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

https://averylychee.neocities.org/doctor-who/audio-guide/

Hey has anyone used this particular Big Finish audio guide before? Through skimming it I think I broadly agree with what the author considers 'essential' and 'stand-alone/skippable'. I think I listened to about 200 of the audios years ago but I don't think I'd like just starting where I left off since I don't really remember a lot and I'd like to revisit some of the more plot-critical stuff. I've got a lot to go through, admittedly, but this seems like a good guide so I can skip the ones I need to. (Needless to say I was skipping Minuet in Hell anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

CobiWann posted:

Gallifrey is in a state of crisis, facing destruction at the hands of an overwhelming enemy. And the Doctor is involved in three different incarnations - each caught up in a deadly adventure, scattered across time and space. The web of time is threatened - and someone wants the Doctor dead.

The three incarnations of the Doctor must join together to set time back on the right track - but in doing so, will they unleash a still greater threat?

Peter Davison is the Doctor, and Colin Baker is the Doctor, and Sylvester McCoy is the Doctor, in The Sirens of Time.

Synopsis - Big Finish gets its feet wet with The Sirens of Time, but it would take a few serials for them to find their footing, sacrificing what could have been an interesting multi-Doctor story for a bland paint-by-numbers story. 2/5.

Jerusalem posted:

It's not a bad story, it's just not well executed. It's worth a listen if only to marvel at how far they've come since they started, and it's always neat to hear more of Davison, Baker and McCoy. If I'd been aware of Big Finish back during the wilderness years I can't even begin to imagine how I'd have reacted to discovering there was NEW Doctor Who featuring the original actors, and it's wonderful to be in a position now where it's just one of many hundreds of new stories whether on audio or back on television where it belongs.

Crap Re-Listening: Monthly Adventures #001, The Sirens of Time

I remember back when I was a noob in this thread all those years ago, being introduced into the full pantheon of secrets and mysteries that is Doctor Who canon by the learned masters CobiWann and Jerusalem through their reviews of Big Finish audios. Up until I happened to read this thread I had no idea the audios existed, and so was keen to start listening.

The Sirens of Time, since I always listen to things chronologically, was the first one I listened to. And it baffled me completely. I was initially hooked by the idea that the three different Doctors were on their own adventures before getting mixed in to something together, but the whole concept and the villain.. just fell flat. Why were these people suddenly more powerful than the Time Lords, who while being bureaucratic and megalomaniacal generally are not this stupid? Temperon? Sirens of Time? It was all a bit slipshod. Just purely based on my impression of that, I should have dropped the audios altogether and not listened to another minute of them, no matter what the Grand Grognards of Goon Who said.

But I didn't. Why? Five words.

Sylvester McCoy and Colin Baker.

Having watched Old Who as a kid partially in reruns and largely more familiar with New Who as a fully functioning adult, I didn't really have much an impression of Six and Seven. But these audios really did show why they had a following to this day. They acted their hearts out in the middle of this baffling script and I wanted to hear more of it.

Peter Davison wasn't bad, but he was just kind of *there*. As others say, he does get better but it took him a lot longer to find his groove than the other two.

So I relistened to it, and I was somehow able to follow the plot more. I'd forgotten the fine detail and even the reveal of the villains, but maybe I was paying more attention this time around. To be fair, my first listen occurred in buses, taxis and on walks to work in Jiangsu Province, China about eight years ago so perhaps I was a bit distracted.

But it was still all over the place, and I know how much better they can do, and did do. So I'll give them half a point as interest.

Original Crap Score: 2/5
Re-Listened Crap Score: 2.5/5

Next up, the return of Vislor Turlough and Cricket Man in: Monthly Adventures #002, Phantasmagoria.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Confusedslight posted:

Briggs can write a story but so many of his doctor who ones are extremely hit or miss, paired with the fact he doesn't take criticism well at all I tend to largely avoid them.

Any more information on this? Did he blow up on Twitter about something?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, he'd have to suffer multiple explosive cases of amnesia to make it all make any sense. How likely is THAT!?!

When The Bad Wolf/The Moment called Eleven the "Doctor Who Forgets" in Day of the Doctor, I half-imagined an anguished scream coming from Paul McGann's house.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Confusedslight posted:

Doctor who audio is truly a land of contracts in terms of quality. Home to some of my favorite doctor who but also sometimes it can get quite dire.

Also has anyone else noticed a drop in the cover artworks being a bit more janky then usual? First World problems and all that but like the way the brigadiers been photoshopped just feels a bit off. :shrug: Where is his neck lol.

god I am so far behind on the relisten, I'm still on the The Spectre of Lanyon Moor, but I forgot how much I goddamn love Evelyn Smythe. First original Big Finish companion and they just knocked it out of the park.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

and I thought Minuet in Hell was bad

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

Next episode will be great.

Because Chris Chibnall will gently caress off.

Amen. I wasn't around in this thread when it was announced he'd be the new showrunner, but I'd imagine a few people in here predicted how his run would be in every way, based on prior form alone.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I pretty much saw the whole first season of Chibnall Who and in the break between seasons I pretty much decided I'd give up watching week to week and wait a couple years for it to improve based on reviews and general feeling. It did not.

Then I watched Jay Exci's magnum opus The Fall of Doctor Who (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8_A7n83Rh0) and that pretty much put the nail in the coffin as far as my opinion was concerned. Then RTD got announced as the successor and I'd never thought I'd want him back again (I saw the End of Time, after all), but it was a relief.

I'm just sorry that Jodie Whitaker's run was blighted by a very poor writer. She had so much potential, and it was shining through the whole time but just drowned in nonsense.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

How dare, that’s the best Christmas song, and my own personal Whamageddon. When I hear that on the radio, the Christmas period has officially started.

Unfortunately I watched Last Christmas (the one with Nick Frost as Santa) right after a lovely breakup that occurred over the Christmas period that year so that song is forever ruined for me.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

And I assume Big Finish got some kind of deal to use the Daleks, when the books couldn't? Probably involving Dalek Empire?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

McGann posted:

Either way, somebody is gonna gently caress that car.

Hopefully consensually, knowing Torchwood.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Narsham posted:

Just because you’re capable of being really clever doesn’t mean you always are.

I think it was Hbomberguy's video on Sherlock (which is also partially a video on Jekyll) that soured me on Moffat once and for all. I recommend everyone give it a watch if you haven't already.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkoGBOs5ecM

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Wish she had better stories.
Wish Chibnall didn't gently caress with the lore so goddamn much.

I don't think there's many people that see Chibnall in a positive light, are there? There was a lot of knee-jerk reaction to criticism of him, as far as I recall, but maybe things have gotten even worse.

There's a lot of poo poo lore that has to be undone here. It's a real shame that Jodie Whittaker had been saddled with a showrunner that had twice the ambition for lore-fuckery but only half the talent of Moffat (the half that writes poo poo episodes and not the half that writes the good ones).

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Fit her between 2 and 3, extended Season 6b. We never directly see Troughton turn into Pertwee. The Two Doctors implies the Time Lords were sending 2 on missions anyway.

There's the out, right there. I hope RTD realized it as well and we get an explanation we can live with. Because yes, the police box Tardis for her does not make sense.

e: but then there's the whole business about the counted regenerations in that period and that's one too many... gently caress it, maybe that one was a freebie?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Finished Moffat's new thing

Very loving silly by the end, plus it felt nasty and small.

Reviews on IMDb would agree with you:

an IMDb reviewer posted:

It's fair to say writer & executive producer Steven Moffat just doesn't seem to be able to catch a break since leaving the position as showrunner of Doctor Who in 2017; Sherlock S4 (excluding "The Lying Detective") was critically panned & rejected by fans, his BBC reimagining of "Dracula" was torn apart by audiences before his adaptation of "The Time Traveller's Wife" was then subsequently cancelled by HBO after 1 season (due to the fact that it barely made any impression whatsoever, good or bad) & now, as if all that weren't bad enough, his new series "Inside Man" is unfortunately abysmal...

Hence, in the next disappointing project that's finally making its way in to the public's viewership, I'm honestly saddened to see that this show simply does not give the creator the "win" he so desperately seems to need at the moment, & is sadly yet another lacklustre addition to his growing pile of recent "misses", rather than "hits".

This waste of potential is especially confounded by witnessing the sheer brilliance of the creative talent involved, both in front of & behind the camera; Paul McGuigan for instance, the visionary director of "Sherlock" S1 & 2, who solidified his status as an incredible filmmaker, bringing the world of Moffat's most successful series to life (so I get his admirable loyalty, continuing to work with him since - in the hope that he'll provide another major boost to his filmography), who has again misplaced his trust in that writing twice & consequently been saddled with the unenviable task of trying to salvage a 2nd, consecutive, dire production from the jaws of mediocrity - either of which were doomed from the start by uncharacteristically poor scripts - & despite his best efforts to imbue some sense of personality or charm in to the show, his attempts ultimately fail & his skill is therefore squandered on something which is undeniably not worth the investment of his time or energies.

The cinematography irked me somewhat too... He used to work with phenomenal DoPs like Steve Lawes & Fabian Wagner & now he's coupled with Tony Slater-Ling again, who has an annoying tendency to continuously over-saturate his images & make them look very artificial. Thus, I can't even appreciate the visual aesthetic constructed - irrespective of the quality of the content captured within those images - because even from a technical point of view, the show's ugly to watch.

David Tennant & Lydia West etc. (the entire cast, to their credit) are genuinely fine, but the stuff they're given to work with is so contrived & subpar, even their most convincing deliveries (of some seriously terrible, middle-class lines) cannot hide the fact that this is garbage... And it all culminates to form nothing.

another IMDb reviewer posted:

I had so much hope and excitement for this series and sadly couldn't watch past the first episode. The material and writing are so bad and insult the viewers - it is almost unpalatable . I don't take any issue with a vicar having moral dilemma but the choices made and the way they are made feel unbelievable given that there is no premise built up in advance . The viewers are left to imagine 'why on earth would someone make such idiotic decisions' and what is with the annoying introduction to Stanley Tucci ? I absolutely love his work and to see him reduced to this is frankly painful. The smug unanswered questions ... the complete lack of respect for the viewers ... zero character build up ... I could go on and on ... just annoyingly bad - especially because I wanted so bad for this to be good!!

yet another IMDb reviewer posted:

No, but seriously?! How ridiculous is this??!! A 'Silence of the Lambs' type killer guru; a jovial cannibal sidekick with a photographic memory; a hapless 'no credentials' journalist from UK manages an audience with this crime solving duo - oh, they're in US on Death Row (course they are);in the meantime David Tennant is 501 wearing vicar who has locked a woman (was she the maths tutor? Who knows - no explication) in his cellar over something which could have been resolved in 10 mins with a discussion and a visit to the Police. Embarrassingly bad. Someone in BBC needs to give up smoking crack.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

It’s amazing how new unknown actor Louis Moffat Oliver got a part in such a star studded affair.

ugh

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Honestly I'd stop wasting your time. Go back and do Capaldi's last season, which is one of the strongest of the revival

Agreed. I'm not watching a frame more of Chibnall's era than I have to. I will watch Power of the Doctor though.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/SawbonesHex/status/1581597643729383424?s=20&t=ARwEUe3t6hqgHxNgg_JBow

:allears:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Best mate who is a massive Doctor Who fan has just totally given up on it, for no other reason than the episodes are just back to back garbage.
Even though it's her final ep coming up he says he's only going to watch the regeneration scene

I just feel bad for Whittaker, she deserved better than Chibnall. :smith:

I'll watch it, if only for Ace and Tegan.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Rhyno posted:

DST is probably the unintentional result of one of the Doctor's adventures.

It sure as hell isn't related to loving logic.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Ace and The Master: "Last time I saw you, you were half cat." "A man's allowed to experiment."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Rhyno posted:

rear end in a top hat Doctor is my favorite flavor of the character.

C.Bakes and Capaldi excel when they're being dicks.

I'm partial to a Chessmaster Doctor style myself. Dunno if they'll bring that back.