Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oh that's exactly it. Creativity be damned, the BBC would happily throw as much money as they could towards RTD's production company to hire Tennant and Piper, if it meant getting the ratings the show got back during the Tenth Doctor's run, and a lot of people would tune in for exactly the reasons you described.

I'm curious, what were the general ratings like in the UK for the Smith era vs. the Tennant one? Because, as an American, while the revival was trending upwards all throughout Tennant's tenure, it was when Moffat and Smith took over that the show exploded in popularity here. You were much more likely to see merchandising and advertising with Smith's face on it then Tennant; the season 6 premiere stuff was all over the New York subway systems for a while, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cao2qC_tsdd/

Production might be starting very soon!

Does that mean a Fourteenth casting announcement is coming soon too?

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Rochallor posted:

I was going to say that Holmes wanted to emphasize that the Peter Pratt Master was the same one as the Delgado Master, but... yeah that doesn't actually make sense, you could just as easily put a new guy in there since the melty one doesn't look anything like Delgado.

Especially since the last time the two characters had seen each other on screen, they had both been played by different actors entirely. And doubly especially when they could have papered over this entirely on Tom Baker's charisma and a brief dialogue scene.

:smug: : Doctor, your appearance has changed yet again, I see.
:haw: : Ah. Well, you know what they say... "A rolling stone gathers no moss." "To everything there is a season, turn turn turn." And so on.
:smug: : Hmmm. Goth, destroy this fool.
:haw: : Ah. Still, "the more things change, the more they stay the same," there's some comfort in that, eh Goth?
:confused: : ...what?

Class3KillStorm fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 28, 2022

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I am kinda confused about this element from the cast announcement page (spoiled in case anyone wants to avoid discussion): "Yasmin Finney has joined the cast of Doctor Who playing the character of Rose and is filming scenes that are due to air in 2023 to coincide with the show’s 60th anniversary... Speaking of joining Doctor Who Yasmin says: "...I cannot wait to begin this journey and for you all to see how Rose blossoms. Get Ready.” Russell T Davies, Showrunner adds: “Life on Doctor Who gets brighter and wilder, how can there be another Rose? You’ll find out in 2023..."

Is this just RTD not knowing any other character names to apply to companion characters? Or are they going out of their way to admit that they want to replicate the 10/Rose dynamic in RTD Vol. 2? Because if there's one element from that era that I don't want them to revisit, it's that, and if this is their plan right out the gate then I'm suddenly leery of the show's future again.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

God drat, Eric Roberts is a beautiful man and a fantastic Master

Now I want to see the story of how the Roberts Master managed to go and steal the Twelfth Doctor's magnificent hair, with corresponding imagery of a perfectly bald Peter Capaldi chasing him through time and space and becoming ever more furious as it goes on.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

so mote it be, i deem that they all do SUCKETH.

Kneel before the might of Sucketh.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

It has been (credibly) rumoured that Moff's coming back to write some episodes for RTD's/Gatwa's first season

Everything old is new again.

But that's okay, because everything new to this point has been pretty much garbage.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Can't wait for the new Cyber (Cybus?) Lords ARG

Oh, they're not bringing back those Cybermen/Time Lord hybrid things from the really crappy second season finale for Jodie's final episode, are they?

Chibnall should know better than making any callbacks to his material by now.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

That first 10th Doctor figure doesn't make a ton of sense though - isn't that the "Raggedy Doctor" attire that Smith was running around in for all of his first episode? If so, that's not how 10 was dressed when he regenerated, so it doesn't work as one of those "pre/post regen" figures they'll sometimes pump out.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Huh. Wonder if it's gonna focus on any incarnations as Legendary Commander types, or if WotC will only be allowed to use the monsters.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Okay, so according to this Polygon article - https://www.polygon.com/23311383/mtg-doctor-who-set-secret-lair-release-date-david-tennant-matt-smith-catherine-tate-ncuti-gatwa - it will end up being all of them, though I don't think you'll get all of them if you buy all of the Commander decks. You'd still have to probably buy the individuals via that MtG "Secret Lair" specialty printing store (for even more money, of course).

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Yeah, not sure why all the books are called Doctor Who and the… but here we are.

Need to keep branding consistent.

Stuff like this also leads to my favorite in-universe explanation for the title of the show, from "The Kingslayer" Big Finish story: Three wrote a bunch of books while stuck on Earth, named the series after himself and titled them all versions of "The Doctor Who..." (ie., "The Doctor Who Meets the Silurians"). But then, in the 23rd century (or whenever), only one corporation has the publication rights to all written materials ever, and they ended up losing the first "The" in translation/cataloging. So the book series (and by implication, the show) gets renamed to "Doctor Who". Way cleverer than Moffat's explanation for the title being "the question hidden in plain sight" and just shouting "Doctor WHO?!" over and over again.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

OldMemes posted:

I'm a bit mixed on Tennant returning. Obviously there's some kind of twist, but hopefully the 14th Doctor isn't just the 10th Doctor again. Sometimes I found 10 a bit...annoying? Then again, I don't really like Donna, and I'm very much in the minority on that.

Like I said about the "I don't want to go" line, there were a lot of casual fans who dropped the show when Tennant left, or will complain about the show 'not being as good'. I've even had a few people tell me they refuse point blank to watch the Calpaldi episodes! Tennant is a good actor, and his love of the franchise is commendable, but we've already had loads of 10th Doctor content. Obviously most people aren't going to be rushing out to buy his occasional Big Finish material, but its not like there's never going to be more 10th Doctor content. It looks like he's playing 14 as more reserved, which is nice. Interesting that the BBC are calling him the 14th Doctor outright, rather than giving him another title....

It would have been amazing if the reveal hadn't been spoiled, but I suppose it was easier than trying to cover up the exterior shoots for the specials.

What's struck me is that, during Jodie's run, it looks like there was a lot of pressure from the BBC to push 10th Doctor stuff as a way to prop up the brand, as if all of the sexist manchildren complaining about her were more representative of the fanbase as a whole than they were. So it seemed like, anytime there was a 13th Doctor book or comic or video game or whatever, 10 would have to be part of it too, or there'd be a corresponding 10th Doctor title launched alongside or soon after. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just felt like there was a glut of 10th Doctor stuff being released the last few years in a way that hadn't been there during Smith or Capaldi's run.

And that has definitely helped push further 10 fatigue, at least on my side. I know that Tennant will only be hanging around for a few specials and then will hopefully disappear again for a long while on the show proper (I'm sure he'll still pop up in Big Finish occasionally), but I'm kind of tired of 10 being so present. Hopefully Ncuti gets a chance to be the Doctor first and foremost during his tenure and the BBC doesn't try to undercut him with so much past Doctor merch and presence. But if his first year doesn't do a big turnaround from the Chibnall era numbers I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't continue, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I think the big takeaway, for me, is that the emotional hook for Chibnall's last episode was trying to be a retread "Journey's End" and utterly failing, especially in the ending where the Doctor teams up with all of these past companions and it's supposed to be a big love-in for the era. Half of that is because Chibnall doesn't have all of his relevant characters on hand to use (Ryan never shows up, Dan isn't in the big finale), and half of that is that he's trying to paper over that with other people's creations. Like, it's one thing to have RTD end the final full season of his take on the show with Tenth Doctor-era characters and companions getting together and saving the day and flying the TARDIS, but when you have like half of them be Chibnall-era characters and half of them be characters created by other teams from years ago, it feels at least a little hollow.

It's like Chibnall feels like he can gain relevance? endorsement? authority? for his take on "Doctor Who" by liberally and explicitly tying his version to past ones. And, on some level, it works, but it does sting that stuff like the 5/Tegan and 7/Ace scenes are stuffed into the middle of this special - partially because those aren't Chibnall's characters, so it feels a tad bit unfair that he's the one writing their goodbyes and reconciliations after several decades, and partially because they don't really get the focus they deserve to make those moments truly impactful, when we have to rush on to the next Cyber Masters* attack or whatever. It just feels like fanservice without any underlying philosophy or thematic reason to do so, beyond an idea of "I can, so I should." But I could also extend that criticism to the entirety of this era of the show, so I guess the finale falling under the same dumb umbrella is at least appropriate.

* Actually, that goes back to my first point: this is trying to be a big Chibnall-era love-in, but who cared about the Cyber Time Lords or that Ashad character? He was killed off, so why is he even here, and especially working with the guy who killed him? He doesn't really accomplish anything relevant in the story anyway, so why even include him to begin with?