Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Even though I enjoyed Eve of the Daleks overall, Nick might be one of the worst one off characters ever. He's extremely creepy and stalkerish towards Sarah, yet the episode acts like this is an endearing character trait. His unhealthy fixation with women is played like its cute and quirky, and he gets the girl at the end.

The long pauses and awkward dialogue didn't help either. Not to say awkward characters can't be endearing - Osgood is great (mainly because Ingrid Oliver actually plays her with some depth), but it felt super tone deaf. That and his line about how you 'can't beat a rasta' sounded incredibly 'white writer trying to understand how black people talk.txt'.

Yet Dan and Diane, two characters who actually cared about each other, and seemed to have a genuine relationship and chemistry, got split up by the end of the narrative because...alien invasion made him run a bit late?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Colin Baker was so good as the Doctor that he managed despite a terrible costume and bad scripts.

Recent Big Finish listens:

Masters of Earth was a fun Dalek story. Nicola Bryant gets a fair bit of mileage by playing one of the older variants of Peri, rather than the younger version from the TV show. There's some fun stuff playing around with the Dalek occupation setting, and the Sixth Doctor desperately trying not to save the day, lest he cause a time paradox. Even the Varga plants get a good show in here.

In the Fifth Doctor sale, I've picked up Time in Office and Prisoners of Fate. Not sure if I should have grabbed Cobwebs too - the Fifth Doctor is probably my least favourite incarnation, but audio plays to Davison's strengths as an actor, so he's been growing on me recently.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 9, 2022

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

For some reason, when he took over JNT thought the cast members needed "uniforms", which is why for Tom's last season and Davison's first season Tegan stuck with her air hostess uniform, Nyssa stayed with her Traken attire, and Adric wore his pajamas.

Nyssa's early costume really suited her character, wasn't it changed up so Sarah Sutton could move around more easily in action scenes, iirc? The best Fifth Doctor costume trivia is that Peter Davison is wearing one of his old costumes in Timecrash, but it turned out that the trousers weren't his, but were actually Colin Baker's - they'd been modified to fit Baker's frame for the post-regeneration scenes. So Davison had to perform in Baker's old cast offs. And apparently Mark Strickson was only provided with two suits for Turlough, which caused budget issues when he wore out the knees for his stunt suit.

Getting Janet Fielding back for Big Finish was a good move, so they didn't have to keep handwaving away the 'Tegan just decided not to come outside for this adventure' issue.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

IIRC, there is one BF Fifth Doctor story where Tegan just refuses to leave the TARDIS, but it's a comedy story and she still has an (unspoken) cameo. It's pretty funny.

Big Finish recently made a new gap during the Nyssa / Tegan period where the Fifth Doxtor is travelling solo, so a lot of stories are being placed there now.

Nyssa's timeline gets confusing with the whole 'older Nyssa' bit too.
I guess they have to get creative, like with how rare Turlough audios were, since they could only record when Mark Strickson was back in the UK.

Anyway, I just listened to Time in Office, and really enjoyed it - the idea of the Doctor being forced to serve as President of Gallifrey, despite finding it really dull is great, Davison and Fielding get lots of good comedic bits, and Louise Jameson is great as always as Leela.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It seems odd that they're not doing an Out of Time story with 10 and 7, but Sylvester McCoy was largely unavailable for recording during a lot of lockdown because of bad wi-fi and him not being good with tech. I suppose scheduling Tennant is hard, so Big Finish took advantage of lockdown to bank as much material with him as possible until he's got time to do more.

I thought the Weeping Angels worked surprisingly well on audio in Doom Coalition considering their gimmick is a visual one.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Khanstant posted:

that dvd release is pretty cool but I wish the extra features and such were just put online. My computer doesn't even have a disc/dvd drive anymore. I love that they got Peri back for this little ad, you think there's any chance she might meet up with a new Doctor, maybe even 13?

People use Blu-Ray players.
These ads they make for the Blu-Rays are great, honestly. You've got the silly skit ones, but then the ones like these that are proper little short films. And since there are apparently five different versions of Peri that exist at the same time after Trial, it slots nicely into canon too.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 20, 2022

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Honestly its just cool that they made another Big Finish idea canon, as much as the show has one. Some light interconnectivty with what's happened on audio would be fun.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 22, 2022

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Charley is one of the best companions, easily. Big Finish have a good track record with original companions overall, honestly.

I think its only C'rizz, Thomas Brewster and Will Arrowsmith that fans didn't seem to warm to?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Bliss isn't particularly well liked, mostly because she completely lacks any kind of defining characterisation. And Molly isn't particularly well written either -- I've read a lot of criticism that suggests she's just a collection of character tics looking for a story not written by Nick Briggs or Matt Fitton (and she receives exactly one of those. Whoops!)

People really loving hate The Eleven though.

Wasn't Bliss just intended to be a one boxset character, but they decided to keep her around since they liked the actress, iirc? Molly has a similar issue, where she's only really important to the first Dark Eyes series, and gets phased out for Liv as there's less and less for her to do (and Ruth Bradley was harder to get to booked for recording time).

I thought people liked The Eleven?

I know some people feel that the casting choice for Erimem has aged poorly, but some people really seem to like the character. I admit I've not listened to any of those ones yet.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Apparently the new hot rumour is that Tennant is going to play the 14th Doctor, who looks exactly like the 10th Doctor for some reason, for a few episodes then they'll introduce the 15th Doctor.

Which sounds very made up, since the only source is some guy going "trust me bro". In-universe it doesn't make sense - the Curator just happening to look like an elderly version version of the Fourth Doctor made sense in context. It was implied that he was so far into the Doctor's future that he had complete control over regeneration (and that he also wasn't the Fourth Doctor), which worked as a throw away gag.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I never understood why people want Rose back so much. As a jumping on companion to bring the franchise back into public consciousness and reintroduce the key concepts and mythology she was fine, and Piper was good, but there have been much more developed companions since.

Tennant does revisit the character regularly with Big Finish, but like you said, he has a packed schedule, so we don't get as many episodes with him - it seems like they used lockdown to book a lot of recording time with him to bank material for later.

Apparently its the BBC who have requested that the Torchwood audio with Tennant be shelved due to the Barrowman scandal, despite that it'll probably get more sales than normal, so the BBC seem to have some self control in marketing with Tennant.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 23, 2022

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It seems a fundamental part of the franchise that the Doctor remain alien and asexual towards humans. Even with River it was a more platonic thing.
Some of the best companions are ones where the Doctor serves as a mentor role until they're able to hold their own, or companions who challenge the Doctor and keep him/her from getting complacent - romantic tension isn't really a part of that.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Honestly I prefer the Moffat era, especially the Calpaldi run.

Interesting that Martha has basically become a footnote in terms of companions. I'm not that keen on Donna, but I know that's a minority opinion.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Tennant should come back as the new Rani.

Apparently the Pip and Jane Baker estate is really protective of the character for some reason, which is why Big Finish have used her so sparingly. Otherwise I'm sure we'd have had 'The Rani: TIME WAR' or something like that by now.

Remember when the default fan reaction was to assume a new mysterious reoccurring character was going to turn out to be The Rani?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The Last Adventure was such a perfect ending to the Valeyard's story though. He's like Susan in the aspect that there's more stories that could be told, but doing so would ruin the mystery.

Edit: Trial of the Valeyard is also fantastic.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 26, 2022

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Even Kerblam! at least has that adorable moment of 13 getting really excited about her delivery and playing with the fez.

According to Nick Briggs, he's spoken with Matt Smith recently, who is open to doing Big Finish, but it probably won't be for quite a while due to scheduling. He's also mentioned it to Whittaker who is also open to doing it one day, which means eventually we might get some really, really good 13 stories. Peter Calpaldi's agent has said that his comments about not being a fan of doing voice acting weren't about Big Finish, but even then, I doubt he'll do it, tbh.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I never even bothered with Class. The Clara and Danny stuff at Coal Hill School was cute enough, but the setting didn't feel like it needed a whole spin-off, since there's nothing there aside from, "oh hey, it's the same school as An Unearthly Child".

I'm surprised the Unbound series has been dormant for so long. I know apparently the BBC don't like Big Finish creating new Doctors, even if they're explicitly non-canon on offs, but the idea has so much potential, especially if they only do a few every so often, and go really wild and out there with the ideas. The Unbound Doctor played by David Warner is a supporting character in the Bernice Summerfield series, apparently (although I'm guessing it's very easy for them to get Lisa Bowerman and Warner to work together).

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It's rather odd that on the Wiki, every Time Lord character has a separate page for each incarnation, but the Master has just one for every version.

Anthony Ainley apparently declined to reprise the role for Dust Breeding, and it was rewritten to have Beevers play the Master instead, saying that the plot device of the story had rotted away the Tremas body to his decayed version. He then spends the next while body hopping, only for each new body to inevitably return to the decayed form. As a parasite, he steals the body of Bruce (the Eric Roberts character) and after escaping the time vortex, carries on using it for a while, only for it to once again rot away to to the decayed version. He's finally about to be killed for good, only for the Time Lords to give him a new regeneration cycle, with the MacQueen Master as the start of a new Time Lord body.

I think. The real confusion is if the decayed Master is a destroyed version of the UNIT enemy Master body, a failed attempt to regenerate into a 14th incarnation, or a damaged version of Beevers as the 13th Master. All of which have been suggested by different writers, iirc.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

Why is Whittaker already out

She's been the Doctor since 2017, even if the BBC forgot to make any episodes.

Also I had a really dumb dream last night that for the 60th Anniversary special Big Finish got the rights to the Peter Cushing Dr. Who, and the story was him (recast) traveling to the main universe and trying to convince the increasingly unimpressed incarnations of the Doctor of his status.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

In the UK, Forces TV is having a season of a few classic serials. The first two episodes of Spearhead from Space were on, and Pertwee is instantly such a delight in the role.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

They seem to be having a lot of CD sales recently, I guess they want to shift a lot of the old stock. Like last year, it seemed like the Special Edition CD of The Last Adventure was on sale constantly. I only buy digital from them myself (I should really get round to copying the old CDs I have from them tbh).

With Hartnell, Bradley, Hurndall, Purves, Russell and now Noonan (as well as the many stand-ins used), a lot of actors have now played the First Doctor.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

They're exploiting the whole "some creators keep the rights to their characters, so if the Doctor doesn't show up, it's legal" grey area that BBV used to thrive on. A lot of Faction Paradox is basically 'get the rights to what we can, scaffold around what we can't", so same logic.

I'm assuming that they can't use many, if any of the Gallifrey elements aside from Omega, so it'll be interesting to see how they get round that.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

It was a local uk newspaper that put out the story saying it was potentially coming, and then followed it up next day with ‘no that’s complete rubbish’ like it wasn’t them who did the initial story.

The Plymouth Herald really is addicted to making fake Who news at this point.

Its been implied that the TARDIS likes being a police box and doesn't really want to change even if it could (of course Ruth's TARDIS also being a police mix creates a ton of continuity errors).

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The TV Movie control room is wonderful, and the image of the Seventh Doctor just being cosy between adventures is actually really nice. The TARDIS should have those little touches - its not just his ship, but his home and his best friend.

Last night's listen was The Elite, which is a lost story release, since it was the random discount for last week. I thought liked how the Dalek was largely a background figure, and how it corrupts every that could have been good in that society into something twisted, it reminded me of Jubilee in that way. I didn't massively like the ending, but the attention to presenting it as it would have been made in the 80s was really well done, it was one of those audios I could picture quite easily.

Peter Davison happily remembering making Enlightenment in the Behind the Scenes was cute, and Janet Fielding was hilarious. I get why she didn't want to do Big Finish for the first decade or so, but she's great.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The first episode of Genesis of the Daleks was just on Forces TV and its still so good. The bleak atmosphere on Skaro is so well realized, even if its just a quarry.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Why was Davros making giant evil clams anyway?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Do they not have an editor, or are they just churning out more and more Doctor Who clickbait hoping they'll hit viral gold for the second time?

The whole point of the Valeyard was that he was an anomaly, and was trying to steal his way into existence by replacing the Doctor. The Last Adventure is a great end for the character.

EDIT: They even admit they pitched it from Den of Geek....

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

I'm not going to read the article, but it had better say that Metacrisis 10 turns into the Valeyard.

It's even dumber. He says that since there's a TARDIS easter egg in the 'split into good and evil' episode of Red Dwarf, the Doctor got split into two off screen. It makes no sense.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

There are two possible solutions to this "puzzle"

1. The Dream Lord from Amy's choice is the first awakening of The Valeyard.
2. It doesn't matter and shouldn't be something that bothers anyone that we don't ever explicitly see The Valeyard make their "first" appearance, we can fill in the gaps ourselves just fine.

The Valeyard's existence is meant to be an unresolved paradox. He gives an elaborate explanation in 'Trial of the Valeyard', but the Sixth Doctor is just like 'lol...no'.

That's why The Last Adventure is so good - Six defeats the Valeyard by overcoming everything he represents and deciding he's no longer afraid of him.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Moffat did fun things with canon in ways that enchanced the story, giving both older and newer viewers interesting things to notice. He didn't write himself into a corner over a throwaway joke from the 1970s. Does it really enhance the story to know that the Doctor might have once been Philip Hinchcliffe in a hat? Whereas having an image of Abslom Daak, or confirming Charley as TV canon are nice little things that add to the story, rather than taking away from it, or overpowering it.

Looms are a fine idea, but the Virgin New Adventures has a ton of baggage. I think there's a reason people only talk about Benny and generally leave the rest of it behind.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 24, 2022

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

The idea that Six was a personal favourite incarnation of the Doctor is very odd.

The Sixth Doctor is great, just not so much TV Sixth Doctor. :colbert:

With this, that Unbound story, the RTD found script, the 10th Doctor crossover AND a new companion, seems Big Finish have a lot for Colin Baker this year.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'd forgotten how much of the first episode of Logopolis is taken up by Tegan replacing a tire.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I think some of it is that McGann is just more soft spoken, whereas the Bakers and McCoy are more naturally flamboyant and put more of that into their Doctors.

McGann can be frequently fantastic as 8, with the acidic barbs, the sense of excitment, the moments of outrage etc. I do prefer the more world weary later Eighth Doctor, but the version of the character set closer to the film is great too. Dark Eyes 1 is a great showing of Eight's range - there's a reason its the story where he ditches the movie outfit and haircut. He's goes from unstable and maniac, to bitter and cynical, wide eyed and adventurous, it's great. The scene where he tries to talk a young time lord through his regeneration is excellent. The C'rizz and post Divergent Universe stuff is a rough spot, but retooling the Eighth Doctor line to be closer to nu-Who than Classic Who was a great call.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Strong Convections posted:

Is there an obvious "this is the best one" of McGann?
One where he's not "weary" or "laconic" even if it's a deliberate choice?

The Chimes of Midnight, off the top of my head. McGann plays the Doctor as being excitable, worried, outraged and assertive. And the first Dark Eyes boxset gives him a chance to show off his range. Out of the all the Doctors, he probably does outrage the best.

Davison has grown on me in recent years, especially after listening to the audios.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

SiKboy posted:

(I'm still pulling for Paterson Joeseph myself)

There's something about this that works.

Or Colin Salmon, but he normally plays serious characters. Moffat has that weird personal headcanon about Salmon being the 45th Doctor, or something, though.

Or just go "eh screw it" and have the fobwatch merge with the Doctor and the 14th Doctor is played by Jo Martin, who happens to share the appearance of the Fugitive Doctor, but without the Division memories.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Apparently Matt Smith has told Briggs that he's open to doing Big Finish one day, but not yet.

Pirate stories don't do much for me in general (not even fan favourite Doctor Who and the Pirates, though it's a got some great ideas), but hopefully this will be a fun romp. Whittaker's Doctor deserves at least one - aside from It Takes You Away, War of the Sontarans and Village of the Angels (assuming you ignore the flux nonsense) and Eve of the Daleks (if you ignore the stalker subplot), there's a lack of great episodes.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Listening to Subterfuge and Seventh Doctor stories where he doesn't have a companion have a really unique feel to them. It feels like Seven has less of a positive influence to keep him grounded, and that he knows more than the audience does (mainly because there's no audience surrogate to ask the "what does that mean" questions).

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

During lockdown, he made a TARDIS themed home recording booth in a cardboard.

Confusedslight posted:

Oh cool!
I'm starting to really enjoy 5th doctor audios! 6 will always be my favourite on audio but Davison is getting up there for sure.

Five is probably my least favourite TV Doctor, but he's much better on audio. I'm not sure why, it's not that he was bad, but he's the one who gripped me the least, whereas Davison comes across as more assertive in the Big Finish stories than the TV ones.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

That was perfectly fine. If it had been part of a normal run, it would have been a really solid monster of the week story, but as a hyped up 'special', not so much.

The directing and editing felt really...off at times. Whittaker continues to go from strength to strength, but the Yas romance thing was terrible but at least they had the Doctor let her down by saying point blank she doesn't romance companions.

Tegan and Ace, amazing. I can understand Ace because Russell T Davies did want to do more with middle aged Ace in the Sarah Jane Smith Adventures, but Tegan seems like a random choice. Though Janet Fielding is an utter delight, so yay.

Wait, didn't Nyssa end up trapped in e-space?

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Yas spends most of her screen time doing very little, wasting Mandip Gil for the majority of the Chibanll run, then the Doctor is largely distant to her for a lot of it....then she makes that 'you're the best speech'.

Yas and Ryan were two really wasted characters, weren't they?