Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rochallor posted:

As a general rule I agree, but heck sometimes it just works. Five and Nyssa definitely hooked up once or twice. (I know she's not human but humanish.)

five was absolutely horny and felt really weird about it. the BF audio Circular Time is largely about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

From what I've read, and what's been leaked, it seems that this episode lost about twenty minutes of footage -- some of it because of dissatisfaction from the Chinese market, and some of it was just cut during the reshoots.

Where can I read more about this?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

there's probably something to be said about britain becoming TERF island coinciding with the total gutting of Doctor Who as a production and the near obliteration of the Doctor's interiority right when they become an implicitly trans character.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

She has no past, only a mysterious past. Again, part of me wonders if they just don't want to acknowledge any recent stories at all because having been Tennant and Baker and Capaldi makes her Too Trans for British TV

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Harlock posted:

I've been cast as their multiversal counter -part Doctor What

News to me!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The original pitch for the Cybermen is rooted in horror tropes that are inherently pretty ableist and it's very tricky to find alternatives that are still that kind of viscerally horrifying without getting in (deserved) trouble with disability advocates.

The Dark Water Cybermen were abjectly horrifying as a perversion of the sanctity of death/don't cremate me, to the point that there were complaints! But a lot of people.have forgotten that due to the shadow of CyberBrig, or transformed that horror into outrage at the idea that, say, Amy and Rory got cyberized off screen.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I mean, you can do the Cybermen as the ongoing process of eugenics, as opposed to the completed project of the Daleks.

What if the Cybermen were outwardly still human, but were Peter Theil style vampires harvesting organs from an underclass. You could hide that they were Cybermen at all until a reveal point

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The actual logic of "no time" is that time travel is impossible in the DU because it's a perfect causal loop so you can't establish coordinates. This also addles the Doctor really badly even before he understands why.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

widely-forgotten excellent left wing episode is Gridlock.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

It is interesting that Rose as the first revival companion was a working class and her friends were all working class people. Chinball kinda? did the same thing for his season.

Cops aren't workers

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Does Ryan have an established job? Graham's like, old. I'm not gonna disagree that Moffat's companions are basically severed from class but other than Evil Dan working at a reverse-charity where he's good at this, and Yaz being a cop, I don't remember anything about the economic backgrounds of Chibnall characters

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

They weren't allowed to use the Master at the time, we're pretty sure, which factored in.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You're aware of UNIT: Dominion, yeah? Raine is in that one.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I always assumed that Davros's original body had melted eyes but at some point the Daleks forgot to duplicate that when bringing him back.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Doctor's attitude with regards Klien is his normal code of morals and expectations being clouded by guilt. His and Ace's negligence brought her timeline into being, and Schmidt seduced and manipulated her as a disposable resource to clean up his own mess before he annihilated her entire reality. I think the trilogy is far more interested in McCoy's performance than in actually interrogating the Nazis.

Unfortunately, "not interrogating the nazis" hasn't aged as well as BF would probably like, and McCoy is not the strongest Doctor in BF's stable from a performance standpoint, so the whole trilogy kind of hangs on the one episode of Klien's Story

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's because Chibnall doesn't believe in anything. Even his most ambitious episodes don't push the characters or have interesting conclusions because his ideal world is the status quo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The insane part of that explanation is that the Third Doctor's license plate says WHO. He also, seperately, had a Whomobile.

Their name is Doctor Who. It always has been.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Capaldi's real regeneration story is top tier, but the Christmas append is wack.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think that it is bogus to blame RTD's artistic choice to write Ten as a consistently selfish and flawed character for the inability of some fans to accept Smith. Totally unreasonable creative shackles to put someone in.

Also Smith's era was a massive international success.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Action Jacktion posted:

Japan had some cool covers even if it's hard to tell what story they're from:

Spearhead from Space

The Silurians

Colony in Space

Day of the Daleks

Any leads on who did the art for these releases?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Are they still producing a dub? I know Momotaros voiced Tennant for some length of time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Please stop characterizing Moffat this way. Literally only his first season was an actual puzzle box. Every season afterwards (except sort of his last), regardless of quality, was about setting up a puzzle box and then revealing what that mystery said about the characters and their relationships. Sometimes this stunk on ice (s6) and sometimes it gave us peak television (heaven sent/hell bent). But he never sincerely tried the S5 trick again, which was much more similar to an RTD season anyway.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Clara doesn't just "like" the Doctor. Clara wants to be Doctor Who. She suffers tremendously trying and failing and still wants to be Doctor Who. That's why her ending is becoming immortal-ish and stealing a Tardis., never to see the Doctor again.

Pastamania posted:

My read is that they were all attempts at clever puzzle boxes up to S8. They all had the slightly weird and gross 'Women are the real mystery' subtext as well that Moffatt keeps falling into. S5 was different because 'Amy doesn't make sense', although called out a few times, was a distant second to the mystery about the cracks and the Pandorica. But it was still there.

S8 seemed to be explicitly about him recognising and exploring that trope though, and S9 went to great lengths to avoid any sort of puzzle box and was an explicit soft reboot of Capaldi's run. So I'm guessing Moffatt recognised it and explored it, good for him, but man....Who is Amy? Who is River? Who is Clara? Who is Missy? There was a definite pattern there, and it wasn't...great.

I think your season numbers are off by one. 8 was Capaldi's first season, with Missy as the reveal, but she isn't a "puzzle box" really. 9 is Heaven Sent/Hell Bent, where Clara isn't remotely a mystery anymore. 10 is with Bill.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The farting isn't the problem so much as the grotesque hatred of fat people whilst Eccleston was battling an eating disorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I mean, the grotesque attitudes towards fat people were always way more the problem than the scatological element. That's just not very funny.

But yes, Eccleston's eating disorder puts this in a new light and probably contributes to his choice to leave.

Anyway there's good material down in them, and I can attest to that because I literally watched them today. Harriet is great, the stuff with the pig and the Iraq metaphor are both cutting. It's good when it isn't evil.