Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Offhand, best guess for colours, all of them would have to be at least blue, the colour for big brained geniuses. Most would be blue/red, the colour of impulsive geniuses. Three, maybe blue/red/white, seeing as he spends most of his life settled down and working as part of UNIT, but he's still impulsive and a bit selfish. Ten, same colours, but mainly because of The End of Time tying together all the different people he'd inspired to become heroes in their own right, that's a very white thing. Five and Thirteen possibly blue/white, since they seem kind of codependent with their companions and not so wild and impulsive. Seven I could see blue/black, as the master manipulator. I don't see any of them being green, its themes of nature over technology, sustained growth, putting down roots and so on aren't a very Doctor thing. But I could be persuaded there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They've stopped printing new cards with regeneration a long time ago, and besides it was more of a "put that back the way it was" thing than how Time Lords do it, but that's a point, I suppose.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I keep thinking the thread title says Doctor Who gaydar

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I was expecting him to at least get things back on track for one season a year, but noooo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lol as far as her first season goes that bit about characterisation is straight up a lie, because there isn't any

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is that the one where they flagrantly say the word "coccyx"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

She's whatever is necessary for the plot, just like everyone else

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

EDA more like Eigh Dumb Astory

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rochallor posted:

They explicitly say the word Dalek multiple times, but there is still aweird deniability where they never technically appear "on-screen" so to speak. For example, this passage is a dream sequence (and it made me laugh really hard so I wanted to share it):

That's very Douglas Adams.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

gently caress off, Steven

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He's lost a lot of weight.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I vaguely remembered that Twelve and Clara met Ashildr in the middle of the season to set up the ending, but I'd completely left behind anything that actually happened in the episode. This ks the first time I've seen it mentioned since it aired.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Extremis is fine if you replace the two parter afterwards by just imagining that the Doctor used what he learned to kick those weird aliens' asses off his planet in seconds and that was an end to it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The middle episode is 100% driven by intelligent people acting in the dumbest way possible, and the last episode reads like Moffat and Whithouse sighing and cleaning up Harness's mess.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

The mum thing, which is easily the worst part of the episode, would have been baked into the concept of the season from the start, so I have difficulty holding it against Whithouse tbh.

Same with the "Amy Williams" line from The God Complex.

I will acknowledge that I'm a tad biased, since I love some of his other television, but I also think I'm right -- definitely about the latter, anyway.

Yeah I don't hold anything against the third part, it's just not very good or enjoyable. The second part had no reason to be such absolute trash other than it was written by Peter loving Harness.

Open Source Idiom posted:

In The Forest of the Night.

Yeah it's this. Kill the Moon has godawful politics but moooostly holds together as a constructed episode of television, Pyramid at the End of the World is completely atrocious but doesn't like, cause harm in any way other than to the legacy of Doctor Who. The episode whose big message is "don't take your meds, kids, the voices are real" has to be not just the worst of Twelve, but the worst episode of Doctor Who ever put to film, and up there in the rankings for worst episode of television.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 11, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Both Kill the Moon and In the Foreat of the Night are total messes of plot that stretch even the flexible reality of Doctor Who well past the breaking point. And then they somehow both have toxic, completely harmful messages stacked on top of them. And not just one bad message, for either of them, too. I think I have to go with Kill the Moon, though, since it not only has the terrible abortion message, but it hinges on only Europe getting to decide what's best for the planet and "Well, people deciding democratically decided wrong therefore I'm justified in forcing my opinion on them," mixed in with that.

All good points, but I would charitably put the Europe thing down to just pure writing incompetence. The guy who doesn't know that eggs don't get heavier as they gestate definitely forgot that the Earth is round and has stuff on more than one side of it. And given that the target audience (nominally, children) is more likely to be in a position to flush their pills down the toilet and listen to the voices in their heads than to be in a position to subvert democracy...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rochallor posted:

I think the "shutting off your lights" scene makes it a better story, personally, as it's a pretty strong visual metaphor as to how one section of the world controls the other, and in particular the owners of capital like power plants (notice how large chunks of the power grid go off at once, and not individually). As for the physics of eggs, I mean who cares, it's not hard sci-fi, it's a morality play.

The thing about the egg thing isn't that magic sci-fi eggs couldn't get heavier as they gestate, I'm completely open to the episode telling me that. But what actually happened was 1) The moon is getting heavier, oh no! 2) It's because it's an egg! That's the entire explanation! Just... It's an egg! That's why it's getting heavier! Like eggs do!

The impression I'm left with isn't that it's getting heavier because it's an alien sci-fi egg, but because Peter Harness just doesn't know how eggs work. And every single bit of his writing we saw after that just cemented the idea that he doesn't know how anything works.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 11, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Narsham posted:

Be honest, would the episode really be improved by a character explaining that the egg and dragon seem to be drawing mass from another dimension?

Well no, the fact that it has a three year old's understanding of how basic things like eggs and things that lay them work is ultimately the least of its problems, but it's the most obvious and on its face loving stupid of them

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Great Question... The eternal question... Asked from the beginning of time to the end of the universe... The question which must never be answered... "The Doctor Who Does What?! The Doctor Who Does What?!! The Doctor Who Does What?!!!"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

1) :drat:
2) Did people like Kerblam! on broadcast? I know I didn't.

Someone in the replies puts it really well, it spends most of its runtime feeling like a solid mid tier RTD episode then fucks it into the center of the earth at the end

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

One of those times where two of my interests collide :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ISjUtRUyy4

And oddly enough, the first ever minis I painted waaaaaaay back in the day, were from this set, released in 1987 (so long before RTD ever got the idea to have them fighting on screen):

I used enamel paints (silver for Cybermen, gold for Daleks), had absolutely no idea what I was doing, and got into a hobby that has stuck with me pretty much to the present day.

Long before RTD was able to broadcast them fighting on screen. I have to assume he'd been wanting that for decades.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

OH! That’s what it looks like with the lights on!

https://twitter.com/beer_can_batman/status/1582361710513385472

It looks like it's made of candy, or those semi-transparent soft plastic decorations you put on presents

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The detailing around the edge of the platform has big CBBC energy

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pip and Jane Baker kept getting work too, and wasn't that mostly because they reliably got scripts in before the deadline

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Confusedslight posted:

I'm going to be on a plane precisely when it airs so when I land its going to be extremely tempting to look straightaway at spoilers.

Hope Ace is a badass in the episode and that David Tennant doesn't say "What!??" If he makes an appearance at the end.

I hope he says what three times like what? What?!! What.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Alright, that was a lot of fun.

Could the energy alien have just done that all along, though?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought Smith's regeneration story was fine, Capaldi's was purest garbage though

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

While all of the plot contrivances and plot holes you mentioned are there and more, it's still Chibnall's best. That's how mediocre the man has been.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He's brilliant in the role.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Watching the latest on iplayer got me to notice that every single past series is on there now. I think I was just stuck in a mindspace where you have to buy the DVDs to rewatch old series. I've been rewatching some old favourites, god series 1 is good. And The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit is great stuff, love that two parter to bits.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Davros1 posted:

The monster in question is supposed to be an Ogron

Those books also contained an introduction by Harlan Ellison of all people, talking about how Doctor Who is superior to Star Trek and Star Wars.

God what an insufferable dweeb he was

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure it was Graham doing his research.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The episode did not, at any point, invent a fun mascot for Space Amazon and have the Doctor geek out over it, and that's more than you can say for the rest of the era

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh is that what the cargo was

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Parting of the Ways is so loving good y'all

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hang on a loving second, what Power of the Doctor? The gently caress does that title even mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The farting aliens don't even come close to ruining those episodes for me. It's probably nostalgia talking but I go back and look at series 1 now and it's wall to wall bangers. You don't even hit episodes I don't much feel like rewatching until series 3 and even then, it's only the first half or so. And it's not like they weren't fun the first time through.

It's been so long since Doctor Who was so consistently good...