Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Something old
Something red
Something nationalised
Something electorally dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There better be a second female Doctor, since they could so easily imply that Jodie was unpopular for her gender rather than pinning the blame on the dogshit showrunner.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Let's see what I remember without looking anything up:

- There's a secret organization originally based out of Gallifrey that grew in scope to encompass agents from multiple species, all run by a contemporary of Rassilon & Omega who was apparently the one who figured out how to allow select Gallifreyans to regenerate thanks to her torture and experimentation on a small child from another universe, who the Master falsely claims to be the Doctor.
- Note, this is apparently different to the OTHER secret organization based out of Gallifrey - The Celestial Intervention Agency.
- This organization (whose name I've forgotten) managed to base their headquarters in the space between universes.
- Their attempts to manage and dictate the entire universe to work within their chosen parameters was becoming increasingly difficult due to the sheer size and scope of the universe, and the interference of people like the Doctor who valued the chaos of personal freedom and choice over imposed "order" from above.
- They decided to just give up on the universe, which is a complete clusterfuck of temporal paradoxes, multiple hyper-advanced technological species and overly complicated fixes, reorders, patches and amendments, and shift to the nearest other universe.
- In order to do this, they needed to generate power/thrust from the Universe they would be abandoning, and so they created the Flux to essentially strip something like 90% of the universe's resources/energy out and allow them to push through into the other universe and treat it like a blank slate.
- Earlier in time, the Doctor in an unknown regeneration had lead a team to stop the Sugar Skull Gang from taking control of a temple on a planet called Time. There is some not entirely illuminating discussion of time and space being separate entities that have been slammed together by the secret organization whose name I can't remember, let's call them the Not-CIA.
- The Sugar Skull Gang got imprisoned, with Daddy Sugar Skull tied up behind a forcefield and Mommy Sugar Skull.... turned into a human for some reason who was also maybe aware of the fact she was an alien but also maybe not? But anyway Daddy Sugar Skull broke out and then released her and she seemed happy about it.
- The Sugar Skull Gang easily kill the lady in charge of the Not-CIA, whose brilliant planning apparently didn't take into consideration that they'd be mad at the boss of the organization that put them in prison.
- The Sugar Skull Gang retakes the temple they lost before, with more not particularly illuminating talk about Time and Space being opposing entities.
- The Earth is protected from the Flux by the good doggies, who then all get wiped out by the Sontarans easily until the last good doggy retakes control of all the ships because apparently he could do that all along but forgot for awhile?
- The Doctor uses the Sontarans plans to wipe out the Cybermen and Daleks to wipe out the Sontarans as well, and they banish Evil Bad Snake-Man who was working with the Sontarans to live on a rock.
- The Doctor returns to face the Sugar Skull Gang, and we find out that Time is just straight up a living, thinking entity? It absorbs the Sugar Skull Gang which it isn't clear is something they're alarmed or happy about.
- Time makes a comment to the Doctor about the Master and disappears.
- It is straight up never covered whether the Flux was reversed or if the universe remains 90% wiped out. The Doctor figured out a way to reverse it but got teleported away by the Sugar Skull Gang before she could implement it. She asked the Ood to do it for her, but the final Flux event showed up anyway so we can assume that he didn't do what she asked, and she had to dump it into The Passenger (the Sugar Skull Gang's personal bag of holding) after it wiped out the Sontarans, Daleks and Cybermen.... so the universe just remains turbofucked and nobody cares?

That sounds stupid.

But what about the baby???

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Next episode will be great.

Because Chris Chibnall will gently caress off.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've been keeping up with the show fine but yeah definitely no enthusiasm, cause while I've seen way worse episodes from earlier in the reboot, Chibnall's tenure has just been a mediocre sludge with nothing interesting happening.

I want my Doctor to have a bit of fire behind them, all shouty and runny that doesn't know how they're gonna win but they'll keep trying until they do. Chibnall seems very uninterested in giving Jodie scenes like that, so she just kinda stands around letting the bad guy win until she decides the episode is nearly over, guess I'll beat you now.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Thank god Jodie gets one fantastic episode to end on. I knew Chibnall had at least one in him. Now gently caress off.

Shame the last minute is awful, I was expecting it, but it doesn't make it less bad, it's like the show is apologising for everything from Moffat on. But also the audacity of a Woman Doctor, our show is dying, so please come back to the only Doctor you liked, you shallow fucks.

Still had a blast though, I'm gonna miss Jodie, I wish all her episodes were this fun.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The start of the episode took some time to hook me and Dan's departure was kinda weird? But by the Rasputin scene and the holo-Docs I was pretty hooked, I don't care that the episode probably doesn't hold up if you squint at it properly. Ah who cares, this episode of Doctor Who was stupid fun, that's all I want!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

All you need to say is "large company bad" and that just about covers it. I'd rather Disney didn't get their mitts on another beloved property, but eventually everything will be owned by a handful of companies anyway so what can ya do.